Authority of Kings-A question for everyone

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Authority of Kings-A question for everyone

PostPosted by Soulbourne » Tue Dec 01, 2015 06:46

So, there's been a few complaints here about the new commander system, which I admit can be a bit limiting. But does it make sense for this universe?

It basically means that you grant official titles to your favored loyalists to allow them command of your armies. This means rather than armies being led by minor barons or random courtiers, the only people given command of the combined armies of several bannermen(Since a lot of vassals you raise include levies of the direct vassal and his bannermen) will only have official command by your chosen leaders.

My question for everyone is: Does it make sense for the lord at the top to choose his own generals/commanders? Would the leaders in westeros/essos prefer such control over who has the command of large armies or would they instead allow every minor lord to maintain open authority even in amassed armies?
Soulbourne

Re: Authority of Kings-A question for everyone

PostPosted by Alighten » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:23

Well, in the ASOIAF universe we often see specified commanders of armies, so I think the new commander system makes perfect sense. Just look at the Lannister army during the War of Five Kings; Kevan, Jaime, and Tywin were all specified commanders as well Tyrion at one point who led the vanguard. I don't recall if individual lords ever led their armies into battle, but it seems to me this system makes sense.
Alighten

PostPosted by zerofighterr » Tue Dec 29, 2015 13:33

Well if you like it or not, It's actually PARADOX that implented it.
zerofighterr

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:47

It is a very weird... change to say the least. Feudalistic lords would never allow for another lord to control their men, it could very well end up in their loyalties changing and them losing those men. The old system without commanders was perfectly fine.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 13:17

My favourite version they had was when if you raised troops the local lord would lead them or their martial councillor would, depending on their opinion of you. I think that was the best version although saying that combining it with commanders for your direct army but not vassal army could be good as well.
Graduate Content Designer on Crusader Kings 2

If a post is edited in this colour then it was done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines Sub-Mod
More Decisions Sub-Mod
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
Duel Recorder
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by Themoonlightsculptor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 16:21

that was what destroyed the roman republic,well that and julius cesar.
Themoonlightsculptor

Return to Story and Lore