Barristan Selmy vs Jaime Lannister

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Barristan Selmy vs Jaime Lannister

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08

What do you think Barristan would have done in Jaime's place when the Mad King ordered the burning of King's Landing?
SinStar87

Re: Barristan Selmy vs Jaime Lannister

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 17:08

I'd like to think even Barristan would do what had to be done and kill him but I am not sure if he could actually bring himself to do it, if he did he would forever be ashamed of his actions and breaking his vows but if he didn't then I think the weight on his conscience of knowing he could have saved so may but chose not to for his honour would be just as bad if not worse than killing the mad king
If a post is edited in this colour then it was done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines Sub-Mod
More Decisions Sub-Mod
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
Duel Recorder
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by Dawnbreaker » Thu Mar 03, 2016 23:51

I think he would have begged the king to rescind the order, if it failed he would either look on in horror as the city fell or forcerfully order the king and pyromancer to stop, that the lives of so many could not be sacrificed, maybe even killed the pyromancer if he didn't listen, but would do his best not to kill the king he was sworn to protect, maybe incapacitate him.
Dawnbreaker

PostPosted by Azsouth » Mon Mar 07, 2016 06:33

Barristan's entire motivation is to serve a monarch worth the title. In my opinion he is way to honorable to have broken his vows and kill the king he swore to protect, but if he had killed King Aerys, he would probably have an easier time with it than Jaime has had because he is a Lannister, since house Selmy isn't as prominent. If he was there and didn't kill King Aerys he would only look back in hindsight like most of his perspective on history and be like "ya I probably should have done something at that point". kind of like how he thinks if he had just won the tourney at Harrenhal he could have crowned Ashara Dayne the QoLaB and non of this nonsense would have happened (when we all know even if Rhaegar didn't win the tourney he probably still would have "taken" Lyanna at some point)

one thing is for sure though, if he was there and Jaime wasn't no matter the outcome, the Mountain and friends would have been killed before they could make it to Elia and her children.
Azsouth

PostPosted by Dawnbreaker » Mon Mar 07, 2016 06:44

^ That bottom part i like, imagine that, the mountain armory lorch and whoever else was there faced with sir Barristan the Bold! Gregor Clegane versus Barristan Selmy to the death, what a fight that would be!
Dawnbreaker

PostPosted by Chengar Qordath » Wed Mar 16, 2016 00:18

The other major advantage Selmy would have for weathering the fallout is that he already has a very well-established reputation for being incredibly honorable. I imagine most people's initial reaction would be to wonder what monstrous thing Aerys was planning that was so bad it made Barristan the Bold turn on him.

Contrast that with Jaime, who was an unknown overshadowed by his famously ruthless father. I imagine most people think he killed Aerys on daddy's orders, not to save the city from immolation.

Granted, I think Barristan would also feel honor-bound to resign from the Kingsguard if he had to turn against Aerys. That leads to the possibility that he'd wind up in the Night's Watch, where he'd probably be a shoo-in for the next Lord Commander.
Chengar Qordath

PostPosted by Dawnbreaker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 00:20

Chengar Qordath wrote:The other major advantage Selmy would have for weathering the fallout is that he already has a very well-established reputation for being incredibly honourable. I imagine most people's initial reaction would be to wonder what monstrous thing Aerys was planning that was so bad it made Barristan the Bold turn on him.

Contrast that with Jaime, who was an unknown overshadowed by his famously ruthless father. I imagine most people think he killed Aerys on daddy's orders, not to save the city from immolation.

Granted, I think Barristan would also feel honour-bound to resign from the Kingsguard if he had to turn against Aerys. That leads to the possibility that he'd wind up in the Night's Watch, where he'd probably be a shoo-in for the next Lord Commander.

Damn good point about their respective honour.
Dawnbreaker

PostPosted by Themoonlightsculptor » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:42

Chengar Qordath wrote:The other major advantage Selmy would have for weathering the fallout is that he already has a very well-established reputation for being incredibly honorable. I imagine most people's initial reaction would be to wonder what monstrous thing Aerys was planning that was so bad it made Barristan the Bold turn on him.

Granted, I think Barristan would also feel honor-bound to resign from the Kingsguard if he had to turn against Aerys. That leads to the possibility that he'd wind up in the Night's Watch, where he'd probably be a shoo-in for the next Lord Commander.

whatever that old Robert said Jaime's ruthless father is the main reason he wasn't killed on the contrast that good old selmy only have some minor cousins and I don't think there ever was a non high-born and alive kingslayer just easier to remind the people of the gavity of the crime.
And selmy he may have done it and then killed himself or tried to die on the battlefield cause he like nothing more than his honor or so varys say.but he did closed the gate of mereen on the order of daenerys and let thousand? of people die ( and serve as meat shield).
Themoonlightsculptor

PostPosted by loopy_kid » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:11

I think he would have killed Aerys and left a scroll of parchment upon the Iron Throne detailing Aerys' plans for King's Landing, and- if possible- suggest starting points for locating it and removing: interrogating the pyromancers, and looking underneath major thoroughfares.

I could see him killing himself after it was done too. Unable to live with the shame or dishonor.
loopy_kid

PostPosted by Max14354 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 19:47

I dont think that Barristan would kill him and break his oath, he would have just not exploded the city.
Max14354

Return to Story and Lore