AGOT Dragon of the East: The Valyrian Empire (v1.6)

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

AGOT Dragon of the East: The Valyrian Empire (v1.6)

PostPosted by Arcvalons » Thu Mar 24, 2016 22:58

Download latest release (1.6.0.0):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ax5y5 ... .6.0.0.rar

Legacy of Rome and Conclave recommended for full experience.

This is a small Sub-Mod that adds a little more flavor to the game if you decide you want to create an empire in Essos. Included are several decisions that will allow you to create a "Valyrian Empire" in Essos, complete with an exclusive government-type (Imperial Government) and set of laws, which will make your new domains feel a lot more like 'Roman Empire meets ASOIAF'. I've also added a special Valyrian Subjugation CB, as well as religious decisions to convert to R'hllor if you want, to move your capital, and to absorb de-jure kingdoms into the empire.

At first this sub-mod was going to be exclusively about improving Aegon's Conquest of the Free Cities, thus it was going to use the existing New Valyria title and related events, but in the end it proved easier to do it all over my way rather risk breaking something in the existing code (which is pretty dense, to be fair). Not only can you enact the decisions at your own pace and all that, but also, any character other than Aegon the Conqueror can form the Valyrian Empire, such as Daemon the Rogue Prince for example, if that character meets all the requirements.

Screenshots

Spoiler: show

Features in Detail

• Restore the Valyrian Empire. The requirements are shown here: http://imgur.com/JuYgN7l.png

• When you create the Valyrian Empire, you get decisions to integrate all King-tier titles you have in the Free Cities region as your "crownlands", or to give them to vassals as you see fit.

• If you had Feudal government before enacting the decision to Restore the Valyrian Empire, you will be switched to Imperial. In fact, it's recommended you become Feudal before enacting the decision if you are Republican for this very reason. The most obvious advantage you will notice is that you are now allowed to hold both Castle and City holdings without penalties, and you will not get any relations malus with vassals of any government type. Imperial government even comes with its custom localisation for councillors, titles, and characters!

• The Valyrian Empire comes with its own set of laws and its own balance. The laws you start with alreay trend heavily towards a more centralized, bureaucratic administration. This means you get to hold much more territory directly and get much more money from your vassals, but on the other hand your vassal limit is considerably lower and the amount of levies you can raise from them is pathethic. Viceroyalties are unlocked for all tiers from the start (if you have the CM expansion ofc), but your subjectis will resent you for holding so much power over them! You must adapt and learn to rely on demesne troops, mercenaries, and retinues... or try to revert to a more traditional feudal administration over time. Your choice!

• As I said, retinues are available if you have the Legacy of Rome expansion. To start building retinues you need to have your capital in the Free Cities (to avoid breaking the base mod's balance in Westeros), and you have to build "Recruitment Offices" in your castles and cities to increase your cap.

• The Valyrian Subjugation CB in 1.5 replaces the Imperial Reconquest CB from previous versions. It targets King-tier titles within the region defined as the Free Cities, allowing you to usurp all higher titles (Duke+) and subjugate everyone in the target's realm (there's a minor bug where you won't vassalize Sellhorys, Valysar, or Volon Therys for some reason though). To use the CB you need to be an independent High valyrian, with no Emperor-tier title with the sole exception that being the Valyrian Empire of course, and you must have high martial (25+) along with Ambitious and Brave/Diligent and no negative traits. Luckily, both Aegon Targaryen and Daemon Blackfyre fulfil all this conditions in the submod's custom bookmarks!
  • There are some more minor "quality of life" decisions. You can change your capital to either Myr or Volantis, making the baronies there the capital of the county and netting you both the county and the duchy. You can also convert to R'hllor along with all your court, vassals, and close relatives.
Last edited by Arcvalons on Sun Jun 12, 2016 04:34, edited 9 times in total.
Arcvalons

Re: AGOT Dragon of the East: Restore the Valyrian Empire!

PostPosted by derrae » Fri Mar 25, 2016 15:25

Woah, great idea! Gonna try that, my Targaryen babes want to conquer :3

Is it compatibile with Colonise Valyria submod?
derrae

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 15:39

Are Retinues at least somewhat cheap to reinforce like they were Pre-Charlemagne?

Essentially no cost, lots of units, and fun as hell.
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by Arcvalons » Sat Mar 26, 2016 16:15

Currently not compatible with Colonise Valyria as both mods use the same title (k_valyria) but that will change next release. About Retinues, not sure, but I haven't modified any vanilla values. I'll test it a bit more to see if bigger and cheaper retinues would be cool.
Arcvalons

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 16:59

Arcvalons wrote:Currently not compatible with Colonise Valyria as both mods use the same title (k_valyria) but that will change next release. About Retinues, not sure, but I haven't modified any vanilla values. I'll test it a bit more to see if bigger and cheaper retinues would be cool.

Well, just to check, do you know what the values for Retinues pre Charlie were?

Oh, and... Arcvalons... Wait a tic! You made that Imperial Legacy sub-mod! I thought I recognized you!
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by Arcvalons » Fri Apr 01, 2016 20:32

Yeah, I made the original Imperial Legacy that later got adapted into Project Augustus, and helped with Imperial mechanics and flavor to WTWSMS. I don't know the original values of retinues, but i tested the previous setup and the Dragonlord of the Valyrian Empire could only raise around 6000 Retinue troops before it became financially crippling, so I'm going to cut the Retinue maintenance cost by 75%.

Also, here's a preview of something I've been working on for the next update:

Arcvalons

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 21:15

Arcvalons wrote:Yeah, I made the original Imperial Legacy that later got adapted into Project Augustus, and helped with Imperial mechanics and flavor to WTWSMS. I don't know the original values of retinues, but i tested the previous setup and the Dragonlord of the Valyrian Empire could only raise around 6000 Retinue troops before it became financially crippling, so I'm going to cut the Retinue maintenance cost by 75%.

Also, here's a preview of something I've been working on for the next update:

This idea looks marvelous.
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by Axelofthekey » Fri Apr 01, 2016 23:08

If that's not an April Fools joke, that's pretty awesome.
Axelofthekey

PostPosted by Arcvalons » Sun Apr 03, 2016 07:13

I've just uploaded 1.5, several new things include two new bookmarks focusing on Aegon Targaryen (in-between the Bleeding Years and the War of Conquest), and Daemon Blackfyre (five years before the Blackfyre Rebellion). Both place you in prime position to start your campaign against the Free Cities and restore the Valyrian Empire.

Finally got around to adding unique Minor Titles, such as the "Autocrat of Essos" one which counts as Born in the Purple and thus can be used to designate an heir. Full compatibility with the Conclave DLC has been achieved, and with it, I've added Senator council positions for the Valyrian Empire - basically more council positions to maintain the illusion of the Freehold's democracy. There are also dynamic CoAs for the Valyrian Empire if ruled by a Targaryen or a Blackfyre, and a new Valyrian Subjugation CB that replaces the old Imperial Reconquest CB (I've edited the OP with the info).

The Stepstones have received a slight expansion. They now have three settlements each instead of one, so they should be more valuable and a small independent kingdom there is now actually viable.

I've also cleaned up the code, so the submod should be compatible with Colonise Valyria, and I've also integrated the Dragon Tamer Laws from SinStar's submod (thank you, SinStar!).

For 1.6 :
Zarathustra_the is helping me with Valyrian Magic so that will probably come next release. I'll also be running tests to see how viable would it be to make the Valyrian Empire a Republic, how it feels and all that, and if it's worth it.
Arcvalons

PostPosted by Arcvalons » Sun Apr 03, 2016 07:29

For reference, these are all the base mod's files this mod overwrittes and why:

Code: Select all
# Dragon of the East Sub-Mod replaces the follwing AGOT files:
# events/on_action_events.txt --------------------- Disabled maluses when liege keeps vassal title on inheritance under dote_full_imperial_administration law.
# events/vassal_requests.txt ---------------------- Disabled vassals from asking for k_valyrian_empire lord paramountcy
# events/westeros_mega_wars.txt ------------------- Disabled Mega Wars under high_centralized and moderate_centralized laws
# events/traditional_dynastic_claims.txt ---------- The Blackfyres lose their traditional claim to Dragonstone/Iron Throne if Daemon abandons Westeros in favor of Essos
# common/bookmarks/00_bookmarks.txt --------------- The Black Dragon and Dragon of the East bookmark
# common/laws/crown_laws.txt ---------------------- Disabled base mod's crown laws for e_valyrian_empire
# common/laws/demesne_laws.txt -------------------- Disabled base mod's demesne laws for e_valyrian_empire
# common/laws/ze_crown_laws.txt --------------------Disabled base mod's crown laws for e_valyrian_empire
# common/laws/ze_demesne_laws.txt ------------------Disabled base mod's obligation laws for e_valyrian_empire
# common/objectives/00_factions.txt --------------- Disabled Lower Crown Authority and Overthrow Monarchy factions for e_valyrian_empire
# common/minor_titles/00_minor_titles.txt --------- Disabled most Base Mod minor titles for the Valyrian Empire
# common/decisions/dragon_decisions.txt ----------- Added restrictions on Dragon hatching and taming dependant on laws.
# common/decisions/diplomatic_decisions.txt --------Cannot enact decision to grant k_valyrian_empire anymore
# history/provinces/... --------------------------- The Stepstones start now with 3 holdings each instead of 1
# history/titles/... ------------------------------ The Stepstones start now with 3 holdings each instead of 1
Arcvalons

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 07:32

Arcvalons wrote:...and I've also integrated the Dragon Tamer Laws from SinStar's submod (thank you, SinStar!)...

;)
SinStar87

PostPosted by JoriahPraetorDrakon » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:04

I just want to say, marvelous work. I have always found the vanilla Empire of New Valyria a bit lackluster, that combines with my urge to go Caesar-Augustus everytime I play the Free Cities really make this mod my cup of tea. Again, great job.
JoriahPraetorDrakon

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:12

... I love the retinues for this mod. Really. Then again, I like the idea of a standing army with standardized armies all ready to go and salt the grounds of those who would challenge the might of the Valyrian Empire.:D This is, of course, after a healthy dose of dragonfire to their capitals.
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by derrae » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:35

You've said that there are special bookmarks for Aegon I and Daemon Blackfyre that are straight for creating the Empire. Could you make something like that for Dany/Viserys? Somethinng a'la "I've lost interest in the Iron Thone, I'm going to make my own empire" etc. Possibly for Rhaenyra as well (instead going Dancing she'd say 'ah fuck you Aegon fuck you Hightowers fuck this shit Imma take my dragons to Essos and show'em who's the boss')?
derrae

PostPosted by Axelofthekey » Sun Apr 03, 2016 20:08

I'm having a lot of fun with this!

One thing I noticed though, after conquering Braavos via the Valyrian Subjugation causus beli, was that I was given the Faceless Men title. This gave me a bunch of un-localized events (likely because players aren't supposed to get that title) until I gave it away. I couldn't give it to the old holder, so I was forced to give it back to the leader of Braavos...Who promptly made it their primary title. XD

So, something about that title should probably be handled better. Just a thought.
Axelofthekey

PostPosted by Axelofthekey » Sun Apr 03, 2016 20:08

I'm having a lot of fun with this!

One thing I noticed though, after conquering Braavos via the Valyrian Subjugation causus beli, was that I was given the Faceless Men title. This gave me a bunch of un-localized events (likely because players aren't supposed to get that title) until I gave it away. I couldn't give it to the old holder, so I was forced to give it back to the leader of Braavos...Who promptly made it their primary title. XD

So, something about that title should probably be handled better. Just a thought.

Edit:
Also, with the Conclave DLC, it seems like every person in my council votes against me all the time, regardless of their status (as a loyalist whatever). Even without favors, and with situations where it doesn't hurt them at all (such as making the government more decentralized, which I want so I can have more vassals), basically everyone votes against me. Seems a little odd.

Edit 2:
ONE MORE THING. I managed to use Conclave "request council support" decisions to pass laws, but when I got to "Highly Decentralized" the -8 to Demesne size actually pushed me into the negatives, creating a massive overflow that's letting me have like, 60K demesne.

This might just be an engine thing that it can't handle. XD
Axelofthekey

PostPosted by JoriahPraetorDrakon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 17:32

Hi, so I have found something rather strange. It seems that every single county-level vassal has -100 opinion of their liege, except for when they're my direct vassal.The opinion malus from "upset by succession law change" largely responsible for this, accumulating to a ridiculous amount. Due to this my empire is in almost constant civil war. I have no other submods running beside this and more decisions by blackninja9939.

Proof: http://imgur.com/a/shYjE
JoriahPraetorDrakon

PostPosted by Axelofthekey » Tue Apr 05, 2016 17:35

Oh, so that's why there's constant civil war...

Yeah, this is happening in my game too.
Axelofthekey

PostPosted by Arcvalons » Tue Apr 05, 2016 19:34

I noticed that too, here's a fix, just drop this into your mod folder and overwrite when it asks you to:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d29yb ... hotfix.rar
Arcvalons

PostPosted by pvt900 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 00:46

Axelofthekey wrote:I'm having a lot of fun with this!

if you're not on iron man you can use the console to give the title, and probably if on iron edit your save to make them have the title back.
pvt900

Next

Return to Sub-Mods