[Submod] DLC Portraits v 1.0.6.1

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

Re: [Submod] DLC Portraits v 1.0

PostPosted by unsavory » Tue Apr 11, 2017 01:14

Lautaro wrote:First of all I wanted to thank the developers of this MOD for bringing us this extraordinary game, and also to those who are working on this new initiative to incorporate the packages of portraits, is something that I look forward to a long time ago. I do not have much English management so I apologize for the crude reading of my message, but I wanted to leave my opinion about the packages to choose with my arguments.

For the free folk and the skagoosi: For the first would use the package of the pagan nordic to maintain a genetic similarity with the northern northerners of the Wall who would use the same package but the Christian type. For Skagos and some particular tribe of the extreme north would use the one of the Ugric, since those faces tanned and pale skins represent well the inhospitable environments in which those cultures live.

Northerners: As I mentioned before, I would use the nordic package but in its Christian version, not only because it seems to me well that it represents well the difference with southerners in a more rude or neglected aspect, in the middle of a cold environment, but also To keep the genetic link with the wildings. The English package also seems interesting to the Northerners, but they would lose the last aspect they pointed out.

Lacustrine: I have also thought about the inhabitants of the Neck, and as the books describe, these inhabitants of the marshes are different from the rest of the northerners, and it seems to me that the Celtic package not only represents the character of northerners but also a Look smaller than the rest.

Andals: In the case of the rest of the Dutch kingdoms, except Dorne and the Iron Islands, I find the German package interesting, although I admit that I have not seen much of it yet, and in any case it is a matter of taste. The classic package and English would not look too bad in this case. Whatever it is, the touches that are applying the developers in hairstyles and accessories would bring the necessary differences in the different realms to distinguish.

Born of Iron
: In the case of the Iron Islands I do not have it clear, the most suitable thing seems to me that it would be the norwegian pack, but it would differ little with the northerners, so as a second option I can use the Russian package, although Without much conviction.

Dorne: For the Dornish, it seems to me well to use the German package for those of the brands, and for those of the salt and the sand I like both the iberian package and the Persian to give that Oriental touch.

Valyrian: In this case I prefer the Byzantine package, as it gives a regal, proud and ancient appearance that represents the Valyrian well as distinct from the rest.

This is my humble opinion, I renew thanks to those who are working on this as unsavory and I look forward to being prepared in the way that best consider it.

Thank you for your suggestions!

A few of these options are already available as Alternatives. There is a version making the Northerners use the Christian Norse portraits and the Free Folk use the Pagan Norse portraits. The file portraits_norseman.gfx.norse in the AGOT DLC Portraits\interface\portraits\ALT folder has this exact configuration.

To install it, remove .norse from the file name and place it in the AGOT DLC Portraits\interface\portraits\ folder.

There is also an alternative for Russian portraits for Ironborn called portraits_ironslavic.gfx.russian.

I'll keep the rest in mind for future updates. :D
I hope that was clear and that I did not overuse bold text too much
unsavory

PostPosted by Sourjapes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 05:33

So I tried using this mod but most Southrons have blank faces. I am still using 2.6.3 and when I loaded up the main game I noticed that the English portraits appeared to still be vanilla. Is that the reason the portraits are still blank? I don't see any DLC for English portraits, so was that a vanilla update without DLC?

EDIT:

I dug around and answered my own question. I guess I'll just wait then.
Sourjapes

PostPosted by kensyy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 07:05

Alright, so I am using the portrait pack dlc and I am using newest update for game of thrones and it is still coming out blank for the characters. Can you guys list out the dlcs and mods needed? Do I need congenital overhaul?

Thanks
kensyy

PostPosted by Sourjapes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 09:07

I upadated and installed Monks... but the white walkers appeared with blank portraits and then it caused every character I clicked on directly to have a blank portrait. Their portrait would be fine if they were listed in the family tab or vassal tab, but their character screen itself or their portrait on the map if I selected their lordship was blank.
Sourjapes

PostPosted by unsavory » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43

kensyy wrote:Alright, so I am using the portrait pack dlc and I am using newest update for game of thrones and it is still coming out blank for the characters. Can you guys list out the dlcs and mods needed? Do I need congenital overhaul?
Thanks

So, the thing with blank portraits... I've set it up so that the cultures should fall back to the standard looks if the appropriate DLC isn't found. However I make them use the clothes and headgear, etc. from the main mod. So it only loads those while the DLC parts (faces/hair) are left blank.

The default setup of this mod is:

The currently available Alternative portraits are:
  • portraits_norseman.gfx.celticCO - For the First Men and Free Folk. Celtic Portraits, but the First Men uses hairs and beards from Congenital Overhaul. Install that and add it as a dependency for this mod.
  • portraits_norseman.gfx.norse - For the First Men and Free Folk. Uses the Norse portraits
  • portraits_norseman.gfx.english - For the First Men and Free Folk. Uses the English Portraits
  • portraits_ironslavic.gfx.russian - For the Ironborn. Uses Russian Portraits
  • portraits_vals.gfx.iberian - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Iberian Portraits
  • portraits_valysene.gfx.iberian - For Lysene. Uses Iberian Portraits
  • portraits_vals.gfx.ugric - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Ugric Portraits
  • portraits_vals.gfx.hvalCloths - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Ugric Portraits for the faces and Iberian Portraits for the hairs and beards. Essosi Valyrians use High Valyrian Clothing instead of Western.
  • portraits_vals.gfx.iberian.attiris - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Iberian Portraits with Vanilla hair for compatibility with Attiris mod. *Not Required*
  • portraits_vals.gfx.ugric.attiris - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Ugric Portraits with Vanilla hair for compatibility with Attiris mod. *Not Required*
  • portraits_blandal.gfx.english - For the Andals. Uses the English Portraits

I'll put this list in the OP as well.

Sourjapes wrote:I upadated and installed Monks... but the white walkers appeared with blank portraits and then it caused every character I clicked on directly to have a blank portrait. Their portrait would be fine if they were listed in the family tab or vassal tab, but their character screen itself or their portrait on the map if I selected their lordship was blank.

That's odd. White Walkers should be untouched, regardless of the other odd behavior. I'll see if I can see anything
unsavory

PostPosted by unsavory » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:59

Matt wrote:Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster!

Firstly, thank you so much for this great mod, Unsavory! Its the one mod I cannot do without as it makes customization so much more robust and makes the game come alive all the more.

I was hoping someone could help me out. I am running the most up-to-date version of CK2 and have installed AGOT 1.4. I've also downloaded and installed DLC Portraits 1.0, have all of the portrait DLCs active. There are no saved files or anything like that. I started everything anew with 1.4.

However, any time I activate DLC Portraits Mod, I am unable to play the game. It will load and take me to the game start menu, but at the character selection screen, literally every character is listed as "pirate king" (example: PIrate King Joffery, Pirate King Maegor, even smaller lords like Baelish and Dothraki tribes are listed as "pirate kings") and the start button is greyed out saying that this type of government is not playable (mind you, I have every DLC but Charlemagne, Sunset Invasion, Rajas of India, and Reapers Due...so I shouldn't have government type limitations). I have disabled every other DLC and have narrowed it down to this one causing it. That said, this seems to be a glitch that is occurring due to incompatible mods, as if I try to run another mod that isn't compatible with AGOT, I get the same results.

As I said, this mod is essential for my enjoyment of CK2 AGOT so any help or advice that can fix this would be so very appreciated. I am playing on a Mac if that is relevant. Thanks so much in advance everyone! I am really grateful for any advice or insight you guys can provide!

Sorry!
I forgot to respond to you. Version 1.0.1 should be up soon, please try that. If that gives the same results, I am afraid it might be as NightWatchman says.
unsavory

PostPosted by Matt » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:51

NightWatchman wrote:This is probably your problem, unfortunately. If you head over to the bug reports area you'll see a lot of problems going on with macs right now.

Apart from that, are you running any other submods apart from DLC portraits? Could be an incompatibility or an unupdated submod... but other than that I don't know what it could be :/ sorry

Thanks very much for your suggestion! On your advice, I double checked my mods. As it turns out, I did have Ruler Designer Unlocked turned on. Once I turned it off it worked like a charm!

unsavory wrote:Sorry!
I forgot to respond to you. Version 1.0.1 should be up soon, please try that. If that gives the same results, I am afraid it might be as NightWatchman says.

No worries! As I said above, Ruler Designer Unlocked seemed to be creating a conflict. But once I switched that off it was smooth sailing. At any rate, I am looking forward to Version 1.0.1! Thank you again for your hard work on this fantastic sub mod!
Matt

PostPosted by Matt » Tue Apr 11, 2017 13:11

unsavory wrote:So, the thing with blank portraits... I've set it up so that the cultures should fall back to the standard looks if the appropriate DLC isn't found. However I make them use the clothes and headgear, etc. from the main mod. So it only loads those while the DLC parts (faces/hair) are left blank.

The default setup of this mod is:

The currently available Alternative portraits are:
  • portraits_norseman.gfx.celticCO - For the First Men and Free Folk. Celtic Portraits, but the First Men uses hairs and beards from Congenital Overhaul. Install that and add it as a dependency for this mod.
  • portraits_norseman.gfx.norse - For the First Men and Free Folk. Uses the Norse portraits
  • portraits_norseman.gfx.english - For the First Men and Free Folk. Uses the English Portraits
  • portraits_ironslavic.gfx.russian - For the Ironborn. Uses Russian Portraits
  • portraits_vals.gfx.iberian - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Iberian Portraits
  • portraits_valysene.gfx.iberian - For Lysene. Uses Iberian Portraits
  • portraits_vals.gfx.ugric - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Ugric Portraits
  • portraits_vals.gfx.hvalCloths - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Ugric Portraits for the faces and Iberian Portraits for the hairs and beards. Essosi Valyrians use High Valyrian Clothing instead of Western.
  • portraits_vals.gfx.iberian.attiris - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Iberian Portraits with Vanilla hair for compatibility with Attiris mod. *Not Required*
  • portraits_vals.gfx.ugric.attiris - For High Valyrians and Essosi Valyrians. Uses Ugric Portraits with Vanilla hair for compatibility with Attiris mod. *Not Required*
  • portraits_blandal.gfx.english - For the Andals. Uses the English Portraits

I'll put this list in the OP as well.

In the future, would you be willing to add a bit more variety to the Andal portraits by breaking them down by region? For example, Westerman German, Stormlanders Normans, Reachmen Byzantian, Riverman Celtic, and Valeman Saxon (or something along those lines, I am just spit-balling to use examples)? Don't get me wrong, I love it as it is, but with the addition of Norman and German ethnicities, it seems that Paradox has finally given us enough options that each Westerosi culture could have their own distinct portraits.
Matt

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Tue Apr 11, 2017 13:23

Matt wrote:In the future, would you be willing to add a bit more variety to the Andal portraits by breaking them down by region? For example, Westerman German, Stormlanders Normans, Reachmen Byzantian, Riverman Celtic, and Valeman Saxon (or something along those lines, I am just spit-balling to use examples)? Don't get me wrong, I love it as it is, but with the addition of Norman and German ethnicities, it seems that Paradox has finally given us enough options that each Westerosi culture could have their own distinct portraits.

Is there any source for Andals living in similar regions and in close proximity looking vastly different from each other or do you just want variety for the sake of variety?
Also, while the new German and English (and the Byzantine) portraits look great, some of the others really, really don't.

So yeah, if unsavory doesn't mind the workload that might be an interesting alt version but I probably wouldn't touch it.
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by Matt » Tue Apr 11, 2017 13:33

DownTheDrain wrote:Is there any source for Andals living in similar regions and in close proximity looking vastly different from each other or do you just want variety for the sake of variety?
Also, while the new German and English (and the Byzantine) portraits look great, some of the others really, really don't.

So yeah, if unsavory doesn't mind the workload that might be an interesting alt version but I probably wouldn't touch it.

From my perspective, just variety for variety sake, but I don't think it is inconsistent with the source or vastly different. People of the same ethnicity tend to look differently from one another. Granted, generally not due to region of birth, but from a pragmatic perspective, that is how it would have to be modded, right? Unless there is some way to make Andals into Saxon, English, Celtic, and German and then randomize who appears as what. But that seems much more burdensome.

At any rate, all of the races I mentioned above are relatively Anglo/white, so they would fit into the Andal race. The notable exception is Byzantian, which is a bit darker skinned than you'd expect from the Reach. However, if I am not mistaken, skin coloration can be tweaked so as to make it a bit more Anglo in appearance with a simple change of a number in a text file. But like I said, I am not married to any of these ideas. The reason I suggested Byzantian for the Reach is because their colorful clothing and more stylized hairs seem befitting of a culture such as the Reach.
Matt

Re: [Submod] DLC Portraits v 1.0.1

PostPosted by unsavory » Tue Apr 11, 2017 14:37

Matt wrote:From my perspective, just variety for variety sake, but I don't think it is inconsistent with the source or vastly different. People of the same ethnicity tend to look differently from one another. Granted, generally not due to region of birth, but from a pragmatic perspective, that is how it would have to be modded, right?

Yes and no, it's based on culture which is mostly decided by region, so...

Matt wrote:Unless there is some way to make Andals into Saxon, English, Celtic, and German and then randomize who appears as what. But that seems much more burdensome.

Yeah, not too difficult but beyond the scope of this mod.

Matt wrote:At any rate, all of the races I mentioned above are relatively Anglo/white, so they would fit into the Andal race. The notable exception is Byzantian, which is a bit darker skinned than you'd expect from the Reach. However, if I am not mistaken, skin coloration can be tweaked so as to make it a bit more Anglo in appearance with a simple change of a number in a text file. But like I said, I am not married to any of these ideas. The reason I suggested Byzantian for the Reach is because their colorful clothing and more stylized hairs seem befitting of a culture such as the Reach.

As far as I know I can't tweak skin coloration without altering the portraits themselves, and I have done previously, but I can't redistribute these.
To my knowledge the tweak on skin tone is setting one for the graphical culture so the game knows which portraits to use in the case of mixed-race children. It doesn't actually change the graphics (I don't think).

Anyway this is all relatively easy to do, only time consuming.
This means managing six (or ten counting hedge, sisterman, old andal and dornish andal) portrait files rather than 1+alternates. And then to maximize compatibility for those not having all DLC I'd have to make multiple culture files for several different combinations.
While nice it's not something I'll be doing soon.

Also, just an FYI, as you mentioned byzantine clothing, so far I've replaced the faces but kept the clothing/headgear and eye/hair color as is.

Edit:
I've updated the OP with some more information, and given it a slight formatting update alongside a quick 1.0.1 update
unsavory

PostPosted by kensyy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 05:34

I got it to work. Are the ironborns supposed to be messed up looking?
kensyy

PostPosted by unsavory » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:07

kensyy wrote:I got it to work. Are the ironborns supposed to be messed up looking?

I don't know messed up how? Messed up as in using the Russian portraits (ugh!) or "messed up" messed up?

I've made my feelings for the pack known before
Unsavory wrote:Anyway, took a look at the Ironborn with the Russian pack. Turns out I hadn't really looked at those portraits before. That was some horrific stuff :shock:

Though it should not be active per default, so unless you added portraits_ironslavic.gfx.russian from the Alternates they should be unchanged.
unsavory

PostPosted by kenway » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55

tried this yesterday, great mod unsavory

quick question;
Vanilla former southrons of white harbor use english portraits (saxongfx) but with your mod active they default to common western portraits or is this a problem on my end?

i use your alternative english portraits for first men so i'd rather like the former southrons to use the english ones too, is there a quick way to do this?

by the way, you haven't edited stone dornish portraits right? cause they use western portraits as well.
kenway

PostPosted by unsavory » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21

kenway wrote:tried this yesterday, great mod unsavory

quick question;
Vanilla former southrons of white harbor use english portraits (saxongfx) but with your mod active they default to common western portraits or is this a problem on my end?

i use your alternative english portraits for first men so i'd rather like the former southrons to use the english ones too, is there a quick way to do this?

by the way, you haven't edited stone dornish portraits right? cause they use western portraits as well.

Thanks!
Former Southron, I think they're called half_southron in the culture files. 1.4 culture files has then as normangfx, as do I.
You could try changing it to englishgfx see if that makes any difference, it shouldn't. As far as I can tell the DLC sets them up the same. Then again, that never stopped CK2 before so...

And no! Stone Dornish are currently untouched. I'll probably add them with 1.1, as they're in a similar situation to Westerosi Valyrians: Andal but not.
unsavory

PostPosted by kenway » Wed Apr 12, 2017 14:12

i changed the saxongfx to northman ones for the half_southron

defaulted high valyrians to western portraits because i don't like the finno-ugric or iberian women that looks too ugly for my taste so now only high and western valyrians use the western portraits

changed crackclaw men to northman ones as well, and since stone dornish are andal looking but a with a bit darker skintone, i changed them to andalgfx.

until you do better, this is as good as it gets for me diversity-wise so thanks again :)
kenway

PostPosted by KappaKid » Wed Apr 12, 2017 18:03

If I wanted to edit the DNA of a character how would I go about doing that? Love your mod but really want to fix a few characters up a bit.
KappaKid

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Wed Apr 12, 2017 18:23

KappaKid wrote:If I wanted to edit the DNA of a character how would I go about doing that? Love your mod but really want to fix a few characters up a bit.

Historical characters or characters that were born after you started the game?
The former are located in /history/characters/ in the mod folder, the latter can be edited in the (uncompressed) save file if you search for name and/or birth date. Of course historical characters can be edited in the save file too, but then you'll have to redo that every time you start a new game. You can open the files with any text editor, preferably with notepad++.

If you own the Ruler Designer DLC it's fairly simple to do. Just create a new character with the desired look, save, open the save file and search for player=yes, copy the "dna" and "prp" values and paste them over the ones of the character you want to change.
If you don't own the Ruler Designer you'll probably have to fiddle with values and should consult the wiki.
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Portrait_modding
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by armychowmein » Wed Apr 12, 2017 18:31

KappaKid wrote:If I wanted to edit the DNA of a character how would I go about doing that? Love your mod but really want to fix a few characters up a bit.

Also, there is a portrait builder tool: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qz3nhjifu19t ... 0.zip?dl=0

Open source, not sure who the OP is. I haven't actually ever used it, but I did grab it from the paradoxinteractive forum.
armychowmein

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Wed Apr 12, 2017 18:34

armychowmein wrote:

Also, there is a portrait builder tool: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qz3nhjifu19t ... 0.zip?dl=0

Open source, not sure who the OP is. I haven't actually ever used it, but I did grab it from the paradoxinteractive forum.

I had no idea about that. I guess that's what I get for rarely visiting the Pdox forums.
DownTheDrain

PreviousNext

Return to Sub-Mods