[Submod] DLC Portraits v 1.0.6.1

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

Re: [Submod] DLC Portraits v 1.0.1

PostPosted by armychowmein » Wed Apr 12, 2017 18:57

DownTheDrain wrote:I had no idea about that. I guess that's what I get for rarely visiting the Pdox forums.

No problem. I sorta feel the paradox forum gets a bit more attention than this one. Tons of cool guides, tools, and mods there too.
armychowmein

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Wed Apr 12, 2017 19:14

armychowmein wrote:
DownTheDrain wrote:I had no idea about that. I guess that's what I get for rarely visiting the Pdox forums.

No problem. I sorta feel the paradox forum gets a bit more attention than this one. Tons of cool guides, tools, and mods there too.

I'm sure there's plenty of interesting stuff there.
Just a tad too many threads that boil down to either "DLC X is worse than Hitler and Pdox need to fix it yesterday" or "Pdox are saints that can do no wrong and you should feel privileged for being allowed to give them money".
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by KappaKid » Thu Apr 13, 2017 08:09

Thanks for the pointers, been able to edit a lot of characters DNA to my liking :) . However two suggestions I have are to create an alternate for the summer islanders to share the naathi culture, because I find those portraits far superior (particularly the females), also again I come begging for a Greek alternative to the current Ghiscari portraits which are just too derpy for words.
KappaKid

PostPosted by Sourjapes » Fri Apr 14, 2017 02:34

Unsavory, have you considered doing a version that adds the Congenital Overhall hairs to all the graphical cultures? I ask because my only real problem with this mod, other than a bug related to CO, is that the graphical cultures just don't have enough variety in terms of beards and hair styles. All the extra beards and hairstyles really do a lot to add diversity on top of the facial portraits.
Sourjapes

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Fri Apr 14, 2017 14:03

unsavory wrote:Solve the Case of the Great Nose Theft of 2017

About that...

I played for a while with the North/English alt portraits and it appears that females that are randomly generated and those that grow up after the start of the game (don't have to be born after the start, just switch from child to adult portrait) turn out just fine.
Only North/English females that are already present and grown-up at the beginning seem to be having the nose issue.

No idea if that helps in any way but I thought I should let you know.
Also, the face masks, eyepatches and such don't seem to line up correctly for the new Andal portraits.
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by armychowmein » Fri Apr 14, 2017 17:50

DownTheDrain wrote:

About that...

I played for a while with the North/English alt portraits and it appears that females that are randomly generated and those that grow up after the start of the game (don't have to be born after the start, just switch from child to adult portrait) turn out just fine.
Only North/English females that are already present and grown-up at the beginning seem to be having the nose issue.

Also, the face masks, eyepatches and such don't seem to line up correctly for the new Andal portraits.

Query: Could it be another issue with the portrait_sprites.gfx file with incorrect noOFframes for noses? It's possible that the file is telling it to generate more noses than are actually present in the english_female_noses.gfx (or whatever) file. This can sometimes create the offset or missing portions of the portraits.
armychowmein

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Fri Apr 14, 2017 19:12

armychowmein wrote:
DownTheDrain wrote:

About that...

Query: Could it be another issue with the portrait_sprites.gfx file with incorrect noOFframes for noses? It's possible that the file is telling it to generate more noses than are actually present in the english_female_noses.gfx (or whatever) file. This can sometimes create the offset or missing portions of the portraits.

I stand corrected, it's not about being an adult at the start of the game, it's about age in general.
Young adult North/English female faces look normal, middle and old ages break.

Sansa Stark, for instance, grew up and looked fine but then the moment she turned 30 her nose got smudged. The same happened when I changed a random northern female from 26 to 36 and it can be easily replicated in the Ruler Designer. The exception are the Wildlings, who have blurry noses at any age.
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by Matt » Fri Apr 14, 2017 20:01

unsavory wrote:
Matt wrote:From my perspective, just variety for variety sake, but I don't think it is inconsistent with the source or vastly different. People of the same ethnicity tend to look differently from one another. Granted, generally not due to region of birth, but from a pragmatic perspective, that is how it would have to be modded, right?

Yes and no, it's based on culture which is mostly decided by region, so...

Matt wrote:Unless there is some way to make Andals into Saxon, English, Celtic, and German and then randomize who appears as what. But that seems much more burdensome.

Yeah, not too difficult but beyond the scope of this mod.

Matt wrote:At any rate, all of the races I mentioned above are relatively Anglo/white, so they would fit into the Andal race. The notable exception is Byzantian, which is a bit darker skinned than you'd expect from the Reach. However, if I am not mistaken, skin coloration can be tweaked so as to make it a bit more Anglo in appearance with a simple change of a number in a text file. But like I said, I am not married to any of these ideas. The reason I suggested Byzantian for the Reach is because their colorful clothing and more stylized hairs seem befitting of a culture such as the Reach.

As far as I know I can't tweak skin coloration without altering the portraits themselves, and I have done previously, but I can't redistribute these.
To my knowledge the tweak on skin tone is setting one for the graphical culture so the game knows which portraits to use in the case of mixed-race children. It doesn't actually change the graphics (I don't think).

Anyway this is all relatively easy to do, only time consuming.
This means managing six (or ten counting hedge, sisterman, old andal and dornish andal) portrait files rather than 1+alternates. And then to maximize compatibility for those not having all DLC I'd have to make multiple culture files for several different combinations.
While nice it's not something I'll be doing soon.

Also, just an FYI, as you mentioned byzantine clothing, so far I've replaced the faces but kept the clothing/headgear and eye/hair color as is.

Edit:
I've updated the OP with some more information, and given it a slight formatting update alongside a quick 1.0.1 update

Ah, that's too bad. Well thanks for considering it none the less!
Matt

PostPosted by ngppgn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 21:40

So, bug report.

Playing woth only AGOT (1.4 with hotfix) this submod (1.01 ) and all DLCs.

It seems like some portraits gets artifacts, as in parts of other portraits overlapping. Does anyone else have a dimilar issue? Will try to post a screencap ASAP.
ngppgn

PostPosted by SBerger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 22:00

Afraid that the 1.0.1 did not fix the beard/hair offset from the portraits. Qarth, Former Southron, Ironborn portraits are still screwed up for me.
SBerger

PostPosted by armychowmein » Sat Apr 15, 2017 00:53

This is of no help now, thanks Unsavory!
Last edited by armychowmein on Sat Apr 15, 2017 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
armychowmein

PostPosted by armychowmein » Sat Apr 15, 2017 00:57

///
Last edited by armychowmein on Sat Apr 15, 2017 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
armychowmein

PostPosted by armychowmein » Sat Apr 15, 2017 01:03

Also, in the meantime, feel free to pm me with requests for specific character dna sets. Please provide a description of what you're trying to match, and I'll see what can be done.
armychowmein

PostPosted by unsavory » Sat Apr 15, 2017 02:06

Saw I had a PM, logged in, a bunch of updates to get through. This might be a long one.

Sourjapes wrote:Unsavory, have you considered doing a version that adds the Congenital Overhall hairs to all the graphical cultures? *snip*

I have and I'm planning to give it a look for 1.2, we'll see how it goes.

DownTheDrain wrote:Also, the face masks, eyepatches and such don't seem to line up correctly for the new Andal portraits.

Germans, English or both? Also do they for the Northern English ones? I might have an idea for that one.

DownTheDrain wrote:I stand corrected, it's not about being an adult at the start of the game, it's about age in general.
Young adult North/English female faces look normal, middle and old ages break.
*snip*
The exception are the Wildlings, who have blurry noses at any age.

This is GREAT! Now I know where to look when I get to it. Fantastic! Already have an idea then for what might be the cause then.

SBerger wrote:Afraid that the 1.0.1 did not fix the beard/hair offset from the portraits. Qarth, Former Southron, Ironborn portraits are still screwed up for me.

MIght I ask how you installed 1.0.1? Did you overwrite the previous version or remove the previous version first?

armychowmein wrote:In the AGOT DLC Portraits/Interface/Portraits/ you will find a file called portrait_sprites.gfx.

If this file is in the mod folder you installed 1.0.1 incorrectly or didn't install it at all. It's been removed, alongside the GFX folder, and possibly some other files (can't recall right now). It's from an old version of Congenital Overhaul, put into the mod, because at the time there was no up to date congenital overhaul, so I added the necessary files here.
As this is no longer the case and I've been reminded of the files' existence I've changed things up.

I hope that clarifies things, and for those avoiding the wall of text:

tl;dr
portrait_sprites.gfx = BAD
"AGOT DLC Portraits/gfx" = BAD
unsavory

PostPosted by SBerger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 03:30

This was try 2 at 1.0.1. First time I installed it, I removed the entire previous submod.
SBerger

PostPosted by KappaKid » Sat Apr 15, 2017 08:06

I just want to say I love you man, but outside of the congenital stuff I was also wondering if you'd be interested in doing changes to characters DNA to make them a bit closer to canon with your mod, I have already done a few myself and would be willing to give my DNA and property stuff if you were interested, although I still have countless characters I want to do.
KappaKid

PostPosted by unsavory » Sat Apr 15, 2017 16:30

SBerger wrote:This was try 2 at 1.0.1. First time I installed it, I removed the entire previous submod.

Well, then I don*t know exactly whats causing it. None of the files should alter anything other than the portraits I add myself (anymore). I suggest making sure the file (AGOT DLC Portraits/Interface/Portraits/portrait_sprites.gfx) is gone.

If it is, make sure no other mod affects theses things.
In the mean time I'll give it a look, but I don't know what in the current version could make this happen.

KappaKid wrote:I just want to say I love you man, but outside of the congenital stuff I was also wondering if you'd be interested in doing changes to characters DNA to make them a bit closer to canon with your mod, I have already done a few myself and would be willing to give my DNA and property stuff if you were interested, although I still have countless characters I want to do.

DNA is very low priority for me.
I don't even play the game any more, I just want to keep my things working (except maybe Valyrian Blood, that's a buggy mess).
It's quite a bit of work and if I got started I feel like I'd have to do version for all alternatives and the standard updates would lag behind. So personally I'll focus on these things first, but I'm sure people would appreciate your work.

There are a lot of people to alter, so I get that you still have countless left, but if you want to share I can put a link in the OP, and we'll just update it as you go or you could put up your own mod, sort of a submod for this.
Just let me know.

Mostly unrelated, I'm busy throughout Easter, so next update is probably gonna be next weekend
unsavory

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Sat Apr 15, 2017 16:45

unsavory wrote:I don't even play the game any more, I just want to keep my things working (except maybe Valyrian Blood, that's a buggy mess).

You'll be back... eventually.
I often take breaks of a few months and then suddenly remember this gem while browsing the game library and dive back in.

On that note, thanks for continuing to work on this submod, I'm honestly not sure if I could tolerate AGOT with vanilla portraits anymore.
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by FlamingStag » Sun Apr 16, 2017 18:37

http://imgur.com/a/D7A7v
I've done some DNA editing

Top: Eddard Stark, Jon Snow, Rob Stark, Sansa Stark
Middle: Roose Bolton and Ramsay Snow
Bottom: Robert Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon
FlamingStag

PostPosted by Sourjapes » Sun Apr 16, 2017 19:20

FlamingStag wrote:http://imgur.com/a/D7A7v
I've done some DNA editing

Top: Eddard Stark, Jon Snow, Rob Stark, Sansa Stark
Middle: Roose Bolton and Ramsay Snow
Bottom: Robert Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon

Those look pretty good. No beard for Robb though?
Sourjapes

PreviousNext

Return to Sub-Mods