[Submod] Retinues V2.8

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

[Submod] Retinues V2.8

PostPosted by unsavory » Sun May 08, 2016 13:19

RETINUES

What does it do?
Well quite simply this mod add retinues, and building to increase the size of your retinues.
It adds Retinues to republics as well as most cultures and religions.

The setup is like in Amortles mod. Republics have access to 4 generic retinues as well as any other they qualify for. Theses 4 are only for republics.
The general rule is that every added Culture has at least 3 Retinues: 2 accessible to anyone of the culture and 1 to those of the culture and that are republics.
There's a also 1 retinue for every religion available to any practitioners of said religion.

Why the high version number?
I based it off of Amortles retinues, which GoTfanboy, p0xus and myself made alterations/updates to while Amortles was gone last time. He does not seem to have any intentions to return, but I continued of his version numbering.

Changelog
Spoiler: show
    2.7:
  • My First release of the mod
  • Rewrote all retinues from scratch to get them working
  • Rebalanced a few retinues
  • Mod is now standalone, no longer overwriting any files from the main mod.
  • Removed Founder of the Republic from the mod.
  • Removed Naathi Culture Retinues

2.7.1:
  • Hotfix for Trade Post retinue building. Should now be able to be upgraded.

2.7.2:
  • Hotfix for Knight bonuses and religious retinues. Thank you Serdinadan!

2.8:
  • Added new Retinues based on Loopy_Kid's suggestions

:!: Note :!:
I don't play much CK2 at the moment so it's not tested to well. But seems to be fine.
The localization for the building is just some bullshit I threw in there, if you got some better ideas for names/descriptions, please feel free to share and I'll put them in there.

Download
Unsavory's Retinues V2.8
Last edited by unsavory on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21, edited 8 times in total.
unsavory

Re: [Submod] Retinues V2.7

PostPosted by Black_Dragon » Sun May 08, 2016 14:15

Nice, gonna test it right away.
Black_Dragon

PostPosted by loopy_kid » Mon May 09, 2016 00:47

Compatibility with other submods? - i.e. Blackninja's Colonise Valyria... Just want a few legions of Valyrian troops to augment my already huge personal levy >:D

Also, compatibility with a save game?
loopy_kid

PostPosted by unsavory » Mon May 09, 2016 09:24

loopy_kid wrote:Compatibility with other submods? - i.e. Blackninja's Colonise Valyria... Just want a few legions of Valyrian troops to augment my already huge personal levy >:D

Like I said, it's standalone, should work with pretty much anything.

loopy_kid wrote:Also, compatibility with a save game?

No idea, I think it should be. If it doesn't let me know
unsavory

PostPosted by loopy_kid » Sun Jun 05, 2016 02:20

Okay, so far so good. No CTD's, fully works with save games etc etc...

Couple of things: can you add more variations to the types of retinues purchasable? For example, I'm in the North atm. I get LI & LC, HI and P & A for my retinues. I'd like to see a HC & LC retinue. Is that doable? If it is, could you add more variations to the choices of retinue?

If not, that's fine. I'd just really like to see a whole bunch of choices available rather than just three.
loopy_kid

PostPosted by unsavory » Sun Jun 05, 2016 09:48

loopy_kid wrote:Okay, so far so good. No CTD's, fully works with save games etc etc...

Couple of things: can you add more variations to the types of retinues purchasable? For example, I'm in the North atm. I get LI & LC, HI and P & A for my retinues. I'd like to see a HC & LC retinue. Is that doable? If it is, could you add more variations to the choices of retinue?

If not, that's fine. I'd just really like to see a whole bunch of choices available rather than just three.

I could and I'll take a look when I go over the mods next time. Suggestions for compositions and names are welcome. :)

The idea, however, is that culture will only get access to the kind of troops that makes sense for their culture from the lore. Or some such thing. I used Amortles Retinue setup, with only minor alterations to balance them a bit.
It's also not meant for the feudal lords to have to many options as they should mostly rely on their levies. So there are more options available to Republics, they get 4 generic retinues, 3 culture Retinues and 1 Religion based retinue, where as the others get 2 culture retinues and one Religious retinue. The logic being that Republics rely more on retinues.
The focus on retinues if probably why it came with Founder of the Republic previously.

This is just how it is at moment, we'll see what happens in the future, but I figured I'd let you know how it works now as it might be a while.
I you want to change it your self, you could open up "uns_retinues.txt" and remove " is_republic = yes" from potential to allow anyone to use the retinues.
unsavory

PostPosted by loopy_kid » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:43

Yeah, I went back to my Clegane game and found significantly more retinues available to the Westerlands than the Northmen. I would have thought the Northmen would place significance on their horses, especially seeing as there is a tremendous distance from anywhere to anywhere in the North.

All in all, I think more choices need to occur, particularly in the North. Where, I'll grant, everything is pretty sparse, but that shouldn't reflect on a Lord or Lady's choice on building their personal force. Way I see it, if you got the coin you should get the retinue. Make them a tad more costly in the North to simulate the lack of riches and immediate monetary ability to purchase arms and armour.

Names for Northern Retinues:
Godswood Chargers (LC & HC)
Wolfswood Walkers (HI & A)
Crannog Marshmen (Special unit)
I can't think of any more off the top of me head...

Is it possible to make retinues out of ships? Because the North's West get raided constantly by Ironborn. If not LI & A would be nice. Reaverwatch Raiders could be a name for them.

And, as a joke on the Britishism and the Clegane sigil, could you make a Westerlander's Retinue called "The Dog's Bollocks" a HI & HC unit? Just so I can laugh to myself when I defeat an enemy with The Dog's Bollocks.
loopy_kid

PostPosted by unsavory » Sun Jun 05, 2016 23:52

loopy_kid wrote:Yeah, I went back to my Clegane game and found significantly more retinues available to the Westerlands than the Northmen. I would have thought the Northmen would place significance on their horses, especially seeing as there is a tremendous distance from anywhere to anywhere in the North.

All in all, I think more choices need to occur, particularly in the North. Where, I'll grant, everything is pretty sparse, but that shouldn't reflect on a Lord or Lady's choice on building their personal force. Way I see it, if you got the coin you should get the retinue. Make them a tad more costly in the North to simulate the lack of riches and immediate monetary ability to purchase arms and armour.

Names for Northern Retinues:
Godswood Chargers (LC & HC)
Wolfswood Walkers (HI & A)
Crannog Marshmen (Special unit)
I can't think of any more off the top of me head...

Is it possible to make retinues out of ships? Because the North's West get raided constantly by Ironborn. If not LI & A would be nice. Reaverwatch Raiders could be a name for them.

And, as a joke on the Britishism and the Clegane sigil, could you make a Westerlander's Retinue called "The Dog's Bollocks" a HI & HC unit? Just so I can laugh to myself when I defeat an enemy with The Dog's Bollocks.

Some good starting off points, thanks. I thought there were quite a few northern retinues, there's five + religion and 3 crannogman retinues (limited to crannogmen).
Looking closer I see 2 of the 5 were for Sisterman culture only, so I'll definitely throw some more in there. Especially some Heavy Cavalry.
But looking at the retinues the Westerlands should not have any more retinues. IN fact it should be the same or fewer (unless it's a republic).
I'm away at the moment with only laptop access so I can't check it out in-game myself, so if you could check which retinues are available that'd be very helpful
unsavory

PostPosted by loopy_kid » Mon Jun 06, 2016 00:36

I know the Westerlands has a LOT of Retinues all ready. In fact, I think they more or less have every single combination possible- or very nearly at least. I only wanted it so I could have a chuckle, it's cool.

As it so happens, I'm on my laptop at the moment and not on my PC, which has CKII installed, so I'll check it when I get home later today. (Different timezones are a bitch)

I know High Valyrian, Aegon the Conqueror for example, only has 3 types of retinues: HC & HI, HI & A and HI. Which is kind of in-keeping with my vision of the Valyrians too. But a couple more, wouldn't go amiss:

Names & Retinue suggestions for Valyrians:
Dragonlords Wrath- HC, used as a shock unit.
Dragonguard- special unit? If not... LC, used to intercept an attacking force. (p.s. what are the special units? The picture of them indicates horse archers? A LC & SU(horse archer) unit would be awesome)
Slave Legions of Valyria- LI & A, the slave caste used to wear down an enemy that the heavier, higher-ranking Valyrians might sweep in to finish the job.

Note I: I was playing a Republic just yesterday evening and noticed, to my utter dismay that I can only build retinue buildings in castles or my Mansion. I didn't stick around long to see how that went, but I was pretty put out. I'm certainly not saying every city should be able to build them; just the primary holdings.

Note II: Regarding you asking me which retinues are available, did you want me to do it all for Westeros then make suggestions for additions or am I misinterpreting you?
loopy_kid

PostPosted by unsavory » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:37

I was a bit unclear earlier, I reread my post, and had I not written it myself I wouldn't have gotten my intended meaning either :P.

What I tried to say was that in the code, the Westerlands only have 3 different retinues one of which is for republics only. But they seem to have access to all unit types in those retniues, except for the special ones (If they follow the Faith of the Seven).

What I tried to ask was that if more retinues show up for the Westerlands, could you please tell me which ones, so I can look at why they show up when shouldn't, because then something is bugged.
Anything besides: Hill Defenders, Stampeding Cavalry, Westermen Knights or Defenders of the Faith.

Also Republics can build Retinue buildings in every tradepost, but I have an idea for a capital only building that would increase the retinues by a certain percentage.

The special units available from the main mod are: Horse Archers, War Elephants, Camel Cavalry, Unsullied, Mammoths, Chariots and Bone Chariots. Unless more were added with 1.2

EDIT
Looking over the building files hastily I noticed a bug making the trade post building unable to be upgraded. It should be fixed now.
unsavory

Re: [Submod] Retinues V2.7.1

PostPosted by loopy_kid » Mon Jun 06, 2016 13:21

In any case, I made a few notes on the retinues for most of Westeros::

I've given you my ideas on this and another one could be 300 LC, 200 HA -- for the North

The Westerlands are tipping on the knife-point of some old guy in a swivel chair, stroking a white cat saying, “Choices, choices...”

The Iron Islands are severely lacking- ideas are as follows::

Reaversguard – 300 LI, 200 A
Pykemen (giggles insanely to self) – 350 HI, 150 A
Ironborn – 100 LI, 100 HI, 150 P, 150 A (if you can only have two types of troop per retinue, run as 300 P, 200 A)

The Reach is fine, well-balanced.

The Stepstones::
Pillagers or Plunderers - 350 HI, 150 A

The Riverlands are good. EDIT: I think they get Qohoric Goats/ Bearded Priests and another one I don't remember.

The rest, I haven't played yet. I do try so hard to remain focused on a single game at a time, but my attention does waver.
Last edited by loopy_kid on Mon Jun 06, 2016 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
loopy_kid

PostPosted by loopy_kid » Mon Jun 06, 2016 13:24

Also, I think I noticed a bug regarding the Trading Posts as well. Most of mine on a Volantis game are fairly well-built up already. I built the retinue building and then went to build up my garrison by another level and it called it... whatever the second level for the retinue building is.

Not sure if this is a known thing or not, but I thought I should mention it.
loopy_kid

PostPosted by loopy_kid » Wed Jun 08, 2016 00:33

Hey, me again. You're probably sick of me by now, lol... anyways, I was wondering if you'd mind setting up a patch notes in the OP. I downloaded 2.7.1 the same day you released it and I couldn't discern any changes. I don't know if you updated the post here before updating the download and I caught you at that time or not but... eh...
loopy_kid

PostPosted by unsavory » Wed Jun 08, 2016 20:35

loopy_kid wrote:Hey, me again. You're probably sick of me by now, lol... anyways, I was wondering if you'd mind setting up a patch notes in the OP. I downloaded 2.7.1 the same day you released it and I couldn't discern any changes. I don't know if you updated the post here before updating the download and I caught you at that time or not but... eh...

Huh, seems I forgot to add it, well, patch notes are there now.
unsavory

PostPosted by p0xus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 20:40

Hey, love the mod. Just one SUPER tiny thing. Could you preface your mod with AGOT? Pretty much every sub mod that I've tried (or made) has AGOT before it, just to make sorting better.

Now you might say "But p0x, you can just rename the mod yourself you lazy bum." And I would say, "Why YES! Yes I have!"

Thanks for your work on the mod, I was going to update Amortles mod, but you did such a better job then I was going to do.
p0xus

PostPosted by unsavory » Wed Jun 15, 2016 23:11

p0xus wrote:Hey, love the mod. Just one SUPER tiny thing. Could you preface your mod with AGOT? Pretty much every sub mod that I've tried (or made) has AGOT before it, just to make sorting better.

Now you might say "But p0x, you can just rename the mod yourself you lazy bum." And I would say, "Why YES! Yes I have!"

Thanks for your work on the mod, I was going to update Amortles mod, but you did such a better job then I was going to do.

Thanks!

And I intend to rename it for the next update, thought I had actually as I have a AGOT Retinues in my folder. Turns out it was just the folder for the original that I used to make this version. :P
I wonder what I was thinking not going with "Amortles Retinues" and "Unsavorys Retinues", would have been a lot clearer. :?

Well, well, thanks letting me know I never did do that. How I missed it doing the hotfix I'll never know. Probably sleep deprivation or alcohol. Or a combination of both :)
Don't drink and mod!
unsavory

PostPosted by trixyeah » Wed Jul 06, 2016 00:21

Is the mod offline atm? The download link is crossed out for me.
trixyeah

PostPosted by p0xus » Wed Jul 06, 2016 02:21

trixyeah wrote:Is the mod offline atm? The download link is crossed out for me.

Odd. I'm not sure why he did that. Here's my copy of his mod, I'm fairly certain (but not positive) that I didn't change anything, well except for prefacing it with AGOT.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdhi98d4omjd462/AGOT%20Unsavorys%20Retinues.rar?dl=0
p0xus

PostPosted by unsavory » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:04

Mod links are back as Dropbox decided to cooperate again and I renamed it to fit the AGOT standard, sorry about the downtime
unsavory

PostPosted by unsavory » Mon Oct 31, 2016 00:54

So as I don't currently play the game (or really have access to it), I'd like to know if anyone uses this for 1.3 and if it works okay or needs an update.
unsavory

Next

Return to Sub-Mods