First Big Sub-Mod Project (Andal Invasion Era)

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

First Big Sub-Mod Project (Andal Invasion Era)

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Tue May 10, 2016 17:56

So, what I'm planning on and have started working on is a pain in the ass super sub-mod bookmark that starts during the last few years of Tristifer IV Mudd's reign.

Only Westeros. No Essos. So I give no fucks about the Valyria issue here. From what I understand one of the biggest issues will be populating the character histories and coming up with Houses as we have no real idea of that time period.

I'm first going to want to make a working Sandbox. Map modding to remove Essos save for the Stepstones.

After it's been tested, I'll... Well... I admit I don't know shit about Event Modding.

This is an ambitious idea, and will likely not be finished soon even if a team were working on it. And I make no promises that a functional post-Alpha version will see the light of day. But I will try.
Widowmaker94

Re: First Big Sub-Mod Project (Andal Invasion Era)

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Tue May 10, 2016 18:06

So, does anyone think that this is possible? I figure that this could be fun, despite the fanfiction I'd have to be 'writing' to fill the map.
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by pancakous » Tue May 10, 2016 20:02

event modding is the easier part, imo. After you get the grasp of it, it all gets the same.

The wiki article of CK2 regarding event modding is excellent, as well as the conditions article and the scope article.

As for the map - it'll probably be the easiest part (as you only remove parts - essentially making the map smaller), but will require a lot of work on the map supporting files. Alternatively you could just request to use the Westeros only mod for your project.

As for the dynasties - I'd build it down. Starting from the kings we know to have existed and slowly build it down to higher duchies etc etc.

You'll also need to remove certain barriers on cultures (such as making CotF characters more frequent) and even create cultures for now extinct Firstmen cultures (unless you want to use for all of those the vague Firstmen culture itself).

I suggest you read the following wikipedia articles then try stuff for yourself, if you have questions I'd be glad to help. I have experienced with modding gfx cultures, religions, cultures, maps, events, on_action triggering, modifiers and traits.

I've never done any diplomacy or decision, but I've glanced over it and it seems as quite the same as events modding.

Links:
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Map_modding
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Culture_modding
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Event_modding
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Conditions
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Scopes

My general tip on events - always realize which scope you are on, and for more dynamic usage you have a list of various scopes.
pancakous

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Tue May 10, 2016 20:23

pancakous wrote:event modding is the easier part, imo. After you get the grasp of it, it all gets the same.

The wiki article of CK2 regarding event modding is excellent, as well as the conditions article and the scope article.

As for the map - it'll probably be the easiest part (as you only remove parts - essentially making the map smaller), but will require a lot of work on the map supporting files. Alternatively you could just request to use the Westeros only mod for your project.

As for the dynasties - I'd build it down. Starting from the kings we know to have existed and slowly build it down to higher duchies etc etc.

You'll also need to remove certain barriers on cultures (such as making CotF characters more frequent) and even create cultures for now extinct Firstmen cultures (unless you want to use for all of those the vague Firstmen culture itself).

I suggest you read the following wikipedia articles then try stuff for yourself, if you have questions I'd be glad to help. I have experienced with modding gfx cultures, religions, cultures, maps, events, on_action triggering, modifiers and traits.

I've never done any diplomacy or decision, but I've glanced over it and it seems as quite the same as events modding.

Links:

My general tip on events - always realize which scope you are on, and for more dynamic usage you have a list of various scopes.

Build it down?

Erm... Could I have a step by step?
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by pancakous » Tue May 10, 2016 22:02

Widowmaker94 wrote:
pancakous wrote:event modding is the easier part, imo. After you get the grasp of it, it all gets the same.

Links:

Build it down?

Erm... Could I have a step by step?

E.G - starting with the Kings. We know that the Starks ruled the Kingdom of Winter, the Boltons the Red Kingdom, the Ryswells the Kingdom of the Rills, the Barrow Kingdom and the Reeds the Kingdom of the Neck.

Now that you have 1 king for each one of those dynasties we'll inspect their vassals and what we know of them - for example the Flints weren't as wide-spread - they become more common throughout the North after it was unified by the Starks so they'll just stay as counts in the hill clansman area.

Whiteharbor didn't exist, it was under Stark rule but only through the small fort of Wolf's Den (but that was after they have subjected all the northern kingdoms but the Neck, when it was constructed by Jon Stark).

Go to the highest ranks and then slowly go down to determine which dynasty should rule which land. After that make a deeper research into the characters.
pancakous

PostPosted by Dawnbreaker » Wed May 11, 2016 00:25

You may want to keep Andalos in the map. Considering that's where they're all coming from.
Dawnbreaker

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Wed May 11, 2016 00:48

Dawnbreaker wrote:You may want to keep Andalos in the map. Considering that's where they're all coming from.

They're going to be more an Event thing. Small numbers of Andal adventurers will declare war on coastal parts of Westeros, or places bordering Andal provinces.
Edit: Assuming it's possible, I mean.
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by Dawnbreaker » Wed May 11, 2016 01:11

I'd reconsider that, after all, Theon the Hungry Wolf actually sailed to Andalos and wrecked the place. He took Andal Kings heads and planted them on spikes on the Northern shores.
Dawnbreaker

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Wed May 11, 2016 01:16

Dawnbreaker wrote:I'd reconsider that, after all, Theon the Hungry Wolf actually sailed to Andalos and wrecked the place. He took Andal Kings heads and planted them on spikes on the Northern shores.

I know he did. But I don't intend to have Andalos on the map.
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by Mayonez_kun » Wed May 11, 2016 09:15

Better make invasion like sunset invasion mechanic and then will be chain of events as Aegon's.
Mayonez_kun

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Wed May 11, 2016 13:04

Mayonez_kun wrote:Better make invasion like sunset invasion mechanic and then will be chain of events as Aegon's.

That's what I'm thinking of.
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by Zerdest » Wed May 11, 2016 15:30

Why not just let essos excist under the valyrian freehold? I mean it wouldn't be too hard.
Zerdest

PostPosted by pancakous » Wed May 11, 2016 16:02

Zerdest wrote:Why not just let essos excist under the valyrian freehold? I mean it wouldn't be too hard.

It takes a lot of changing of the map (for example Valyria isn't completely broken), as well as the fact that in the time of the Andal Invasions Valyria didn't control all of Essos (the Rhoyne for example was composed of several independent kingdoms). That's without mentioning that due to how CK II works, it's a matter of a few years before Valyria will invade Westeroes and conquer it as well given it's composed from a lot of relatively weak kings.

I agree with the OP's intake that if you go for a complete re-do of the map that only Westeroes should exist, perhaps have Dragonstone, Driftmark and Clawisle as ruins for the first few years and then (after lets say a 300-400 years) trigger an event that will turn them into complete holdings under Targeryan, Velaryon and Celtigar dynasties.

Again, it's all suggestions as this is OP's mod.
pancakous

PostPosted by AkkBar » Wed May 11, 2016 16:42

How about cutting the map just before Valyria or denying the Dragon conquest CB? I understand it would make the mod much more difficult to do, but I would love to see andls actually coming from Essos, getting help from their relatives there, and the Rhoynar and Saathi easterners. Of course, a whole area where the Free Cities should stand would have to be filled up.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the timeline in AWOIAF, it seems dragons were tamed after the conquest of the Vale. Although different theories mark this event further after the taming of the dragons.

An alternative that comes to my mind is making the DC_CB limited to be used every few or more decades (truce seems unable to fulfill this task since it´s only intended to block declaring war on the target realm, think a world flag would work better and maybe do the trick), or that a specially difficult-to get law in the Freehold or a specific combination of traits unlock the DC_CB, thus it would be possible to be used, under a big payment of prestige, piety and maybe gold (to finance the campaign?) every time a leader with these traits and points gets the hold.

What I would personally love to see is the possibility Valyria can get involved in wars that Volantis has over traditional CBs and after winning a number of wars (calculated with realm flags perhaps) the realm is either destroyed (reducing big settlements/capitals to ruins and making all minor lords independant and easier to catch) or assimilated, the population, either integrated to society, enslaved or exterminated. Of course, I know this may be EXTREMELY difficult to do, but it would certainly add an awesome flavour to the mod.
AkkBar

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Wed May 11, 2016 17:09

Really, just getting Westeros done is a massive undertaking in itself. I want THAT before I even consider going beyond the Broken Arm and Stepstones.

If I let myself be constantly tempted by the Essos stuff, I'll never get things done. So I set these limitations and checkpoints in place for myself.

I mean, even the main modders did Westeros first. And they were working with time periods that had known borders and characters, or at least far more was known than is known about the period I'm working on. And they were a whole modding team as opposed to one person tinkering with things.

I do appreciate and love the suggestions all of you are giving, and may consider them for when the time comes that they are really workable.
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by BillNyetheRussianSpy » Wed May 11, 2016 19:45

The Valyrian Freehold at this point are just starting to begin taming dragons at this point, the Roynish Kingdom and Ghiscari Empire are still here. Also add Old Andal religion before the faith of the seven is founded and the legendary Andal king is crowned and the cultural drift after Westeros and the great families are subjugated. http://www.hitfix.com/comedy/9-maps-tha ... -history/2
BillNyetheRussianSpy

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Wed May 11, 2016 19:50

BillNyetheRussianSpy wrote:The Valyrian Freehold at this point are just starting to begin taming dragons at this point, the Roynish Kingdom and Ghiscari Empire are still here. Also add Old Andal religion before the faith of the seven is founded and the legendary Andal king is crowned and the cultural drift after Westeros and the great families are subjugated. http://www.hitfix.com/comedy/9-maps-tha ... -history/2

... No it isn't. The Andal invasion happens a couple thousand years pre-series. I'm going with the World Book rather than something from a discontinued RPG line that was semi-canon at best.
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by Gorkye » Thu May 12, 2016 06:59

I can help somehow in Event Modding, History Files, filling up dynasties and their members (I think you don't want to do just single lord without any relatives for every province?), reworking provinces (like White Harbor or Harrenhal, which didn't exist or reducing fort levels - they weren't as huge as now in times of First Men?) and so on.
From my suggestions: some kind of system for Andals to marry in First Men dynasties (because of can't marry infidel condition), options to create the "nowadays" kingdoms (so for example you conquer all North, create emperor tier title, and smaller kingdoms (Red Kings, Rills, etc.) become titular - so they shouldn't split apart) and event chain or sth like that to change Andal into Rivermen, Stormlanders etc. (on enabling cultural drift at the same time).
Gorkye

PostPosted by pancakous » Thu May 12, 2016 09:06

Gorkye wrote:I can help somehow in Event Modding, History Files, filling up dynasties and their members (I think you don't want to do just single lord without any relatives for every province?), reworking provinces (like White Harbor or Harrenhal, which didn't exist or reducing fort levels - they weren't as huge as now in times of First Men?) and so on.
From my suggestions: some kind of system for Andals to marry in First Men dynasties (because of can't marry infidel condition), options to create the "nowadays" kingdoms (so for example you conquer all North, create emperor tier title, and smaller kingdoms (Red Kings, Rills, etc.) become titular - so they shouldn't split apart) and event chain or sth like that to change Andal into Rivermen, Stormlanders etc. (on enabling cultural drift at the same time).

Each religion has a "can intermarry with" clause (looks in the form of intermarry = <religion's code>), and Faith of the Seven followers can intermarry with old gods followers by default as they are both in the same religios group. All of the cultural drift can be done with high MTTH events, or on_action events after you win a war of invasion or something E.g - on_war_ended_victory, and then adding a triggered event with a trigger of "using_cb= <name of cb>", either that or add to the CB that all taken provinces will change culture and religion (though that seems silly - Andals usually didn't massacre the locals they intermarried with them until Andals were the prominent ones and Firstmen looks and cultures faded away).

I just think that first you need to do the map once the map is complete you should focus on the dynasties - which dynasty ruled where. Once that's completed you need should do the Andal invasions (which can be a modified sunset invasion or a set of smaller invasions, IMO generally you should use smaller invasions as it makes more sense and is more in-line with the lore).

But first do the map it will make it far easier to figure "who's against whom"

It's really not all that complex, if you guys get stuck with something and need help just send a PM.
pancakous

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:04

Gorkye wrote:I can help somehow in Event Modding, History Files, filling up dynasties and their members (I think you don't want to do just single lord without any relatives for every province?), reworking provinces (like White Harbor or Harrenhal, which didn't exist or reducing fort levels - they weren't as huge as now in times of First Men?) and so on.

Thank you. I do like these ideas, and appreciate you tossing them my way.

pancakous wrote:Each religion has a "can intermarry with" clause (looks in the form of intermarry = <religion's code>), and Faith of the Seven followers can intermarry with old gods followers by default as they are both in the same religios group. All of the cultural drift can be done with high MTTH events, or on_action events after you win a war of invasion or something E.g - on_war_ended_victory, and then adding a triggered event with a trigger of "using_cb= <name of cb>", either that or add to the CB that all taken provinces will change culture and religion (though that seems silly - Andals usually didn't massacre the locals they intermarried with them until Andals were the prominent ones and Firstmen looks and cultures faded away).

I just think that first you need to do the map once the map is complete you should focus on the dynasties - which dynasty ruled where. Once that's completed you need should do the Andal invasions (which can be a modified sunset invasion or a set of smaller invasions, IMO generally you should use smaller invasions as it makes more sense and is more in-line with the lore).

But first do the map it will make it far easier to figure "who's against whom"

It's really not all that complex, if you guys get stuck with something and need help just send a PM.

Really, the Map Modding is my current headache.
Widowmaker94

Next

Return to Sub-Mods