Knights of the Sword Tower [Kingsguard Submod - v1.1.5]

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

Re: Knights of the Sword Tower [Kingsguard Submod - v1.1.5]

PostPosted by Lucerys » Thu May 26, 2016 17:05

I reinstalled both this and ambitions mod and they are back again.
Lucerys

PostPosted by Turncloak » Tue May 31, 2016 12:50

CURRENT PROGRESS REPORT:

After a small break I've started working on the Kingsguard Protection events. Below are two event windows for the biggest of those events (has 5 different outcomes). The other ones will most likely have just 2 or 3.

This is the opening story event
It gives you three options, each having its two distinct endings (though the first one has one unique ending, another shared ending).

These events will differ from the previous (flavor) ones that here, KGs who are poor at their job (that is have low combat modifiers) will get wounded or even die on duty.
Poor Ser Cole, didn't stand a chance against the mob. : (

This update won't be out in some time, as I'm having small issues thinking of any good events, so if you got any cool ideas about what kind of crisis the KG could face when protecting the King, please post as this will help me speed up the process.
Turncloak

PostPosted by Lucerys » Tue May 31, 2016 18:00

Bandit Brotherhood shows up and you can have option to send your KG there.
Lucerys

PostPosted by AWildWightAppeared! » Wed Jun 01, 2016 07:55

An assassin sneaks into the Red Keep and wounds/maims/kills/fails killing the king, his wife or one of his family members. You could have many thugs (quantity over quality), two or three arbitrary assassins (blood and cheese, Medium choice) or a single highly trained assassin with a much higher chance to kill.
AWildWightAppeared!

PostPosted by Payuset » Wed Jun 01, 2016 08:14

Bad events,

Kingsguard catches king/queen/prince/princess in bed with someone who shouldnt be in it.
if kingsguard is able he helps hide the fact
if kingsguard is neutral random chance of revealing it
if kingsguard is useless he exposes it
or if the one commiting the act is the consort of the ruler, or the heir, it goes differently.

if KG is able he tattles to the king
if its neutral chance to tattle to the king covers the adulterer/ess (if he likes them substantially more) or just uncovers everything
if its useless he tattles to everyone, shaming the royal family.

the king has a bad day/a small accident/ commits a blunder ...

if KG is able he covers for his king or makes a good story out of it (reverse of vicious rumours?)
if neutral could go either way
if bad accidentally or intentionally he spreads bad rumours about the king

Royal commits attrocity
if KG is exceptional AND is extremely loyal tries to cover it, if it fails he takes the blame willingly
if kG is able tries to cover it, if it fails he wants nothing to do with it
if neutral he does nothing
if bad he spreads the information all around.
Payuset

PostPosted by Azsouth » Wed Jun 01, 2016 08:41

would be cool if you and Sin could work something out to expand the flavor of his royal progresses so KG and ruler could fight bandits that attack them while going from keep to keep or having the KG go out and deal w/ problems in the area for the lord for a relation boost that could end up getting the KG members killed, assassin events where the KG steps in before the would be assassin gets the ruler, or doesn't (if they are slow and useless) while traveling from lordship to lordship, maybe a special ceremony when Kings Landing is being built where the first few generations of KG's join the order at the Starry Sept in Oldtown, idk, just some ideas :).
Azsouth

PostPosted by Turncloak » Sat Jun 04, 2016 14:03

Lucerys wrote:Bandit Brotherhood shows up and you can have option to send your KG there.

So obvious, why didn't I think about it! That will go next on my list of events to do.

AWildWightAppeared! wrote:An assassin sneaks into the Red Keep and wounds/maims/kills/fails killing the king...

I got a similar kind of event, but in mine it has a chance for the person to be an assassin or not to be an assassin, and then chance for your KG to stop them or fail to stop them. (Wont' say any more to not spoil it).

@Payuset

Thanks for your input. Most of what you described is in one form or another included in the mod already. After all it has over 26 events in it so far.

@Azsouth

That would be really interesting. But I guess it is up to Sin if he wants to add such a thing. I don't believe any of the events I made so far are compatible with the narrative of his mod. Although I had a similar idea to this I am slowly running out of steam, and I think that after finishing these final events I will call it a day and leave the submod as it is.
Turncloak

PostPosted by das » Sat Jun 04, 2016 14:48

Is this compatible with 1.2? It's easily one of the most interesting sub-mods I've encountered. :)

Also, I don't suppose there's any way to tie in Kingsguard events with actual game-mechanics plots? Like having an actual planned assassination get derailed by a good Kingsguard?
das

PostPosted by Turncloak » Sun Jun 05, 2016 14:54

Hi Das,

Everything is possible ; )
But the problem is that to tie this mod with main-game mechanics, in most situations, requires to make changes to the original files, and any update to the AGOT files (made either by another submod, or a patch) can simply make this submod incompatible.

Because my submod doesn't modify any original files it is compatible (and should be compatible) with any other submod and any future version of AGOT.

I tried to think of a way to create some separate Kingsuguard mechanic that ties to plots and such, but couldn't really think of a way to implement it. I like your way of thinking, and if you have any other ideas please do share, as it may help in developing this submod further.
Turncloak

PostPosted by das » Sun Jun 05, 2016 18:55

Tricky...

Maybe some events regarding Kingsguards forming relations with the people they protect? (Usually the king/queen, plus maybe some relatives at court, or the heir they are assigned to - and maybe relatives at that heir's court?) The "good" outcome is friendship, in case of compatible personalities. But lustful kingsguards can perhaps form a... deeper relationship, the possibilities for which would also be influenced by whether or not they and the characters in question also have the Homosexual trait. Conversely, badly incompatible personalities might lead to rivalries.
das

PostPosted by Lucerys » Mon Jun 06, 2016 20:46

This needs to be updated to 1.2 ASAP.
Lucerys

PostPosted by Genomega123 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 21:55

Works fine with Ver 1.2
Genomega123

PostPosted by AWildWightAppeared! » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:05

Genomega123 wrote:Works fine with Ver 1.2

Yeah it does work so it must be something on your end.
AWildWightAppeared!

PostPosted by Lucerys » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:25

AWildWightAppeared! wrote:
Genomega123 wrote:Works fine with Ver 1.2

Yeah it does work so it must be something on your end.

I didn't try it because I'm afraid it would break my saves but after trying it , the mod indeed works with 1.2
Lucerys

PostPosted by Lucerys » Wed Jun 08, 2016 21:25

Having this in error log after crashing :
Spoiler: show
[persistent.cpp:37]: Error: "Unexpected token: is_female, near line: 25
" in file: "events/kotst_events.txt" near line: 25
[persistent.cpp:37]: Error: "Unexpected token: is_female, near line: 135
" in file: "events/kotst_events.txt" near line: 135
[persistent.cpp:37]: Error: "Unexpected token: is_female, near line: 189
" in file: "events/kotst_events.txt" near line: 189
Lucerys

PostPosted by Turncloak » Fri Jun 10, 2016 19:40

Sorry for the late reply.

Was there a game update, when I wasn't looking? In any case the error you got wasn't really an error, just a 'kind reminder' that the is_female isn't recognized anymore as a pre-trigger. In any case I pathched it up quickly. Haven't tested whether it works or not, but the changes made were so small it shouldn't affect anything (just the error not showing anymore).

A new version of the mod - 1.1.5.1 - can be downloaded from the link in main thread. As it is a small patch I left the title version still as 1.1.5.

I any case, I hope all will work fine. The next update of the mod is coming slowly.
Turncloak

PostPosted by Ishkabeebee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 01:10

Downloading it now! Looking forward to it!
Ishkabeebee

PostPosted by Soulbourne » Mon Jun 27, 2016 09:14

Curiousity: Would this break a save game if I tried injecting it in? Normally just start fresh when adding mods to be safe, but I'm about 10 years in my current play through and just noticed this and the innitial setup isn't something I go about repeating regularly if I can help it.
Soulbourne

PostPosted by Turncloak » Mon Jun 27, 2016 14:58

Hmm, interesting question...

I would say it shouldn't break anything, because it doesn't rely on any game or mod files, so there would be nothing for it to conflict with.

This submods doesn't take any information from the original save file, but it stores many of its variables inside the save file, so I would say that adding this submods on an original save file would not cause any problems, the same removing the submods and playing without it on the same save. There could be conflicts (but very unlikely) if you would install the mod, then uninstall it, then play same save file, and then install the mod again and play same save file, because it would rely on old data saved from previous playthrough, so it could re-calculate the 'kingsguard honor' and 'the white book' improperly.

In conclusion: Give it a try, if it won't crash on loading the save (which it shouldn't) and the King gets the KG Honor modifier it means it works.

P.S. A small notice for everyone who is reading this. An update on this submod is very unlikely as I'm busy with other things right now. I'm taking a break from AGOT and CK2 for the time being. That is just FYI, so people won't be sitting with their fingers crossed.

Naturally if you find any bugs I will fix them, but I won't be adding any new content for the time being.
Turncloak

PostPosted by Soulbourne » Mon Jun 27, 2016 23:26

Was about to say I didn't get the modifier after a few months. Then checked because of a nagging feeling-something tells me it'll help if I download and install it first. *Feels shame and deserves ridicule for this oversight*
Soulbourne

PreviousNext

Return to Sub-Mods