Knights of the Sword Tower [Kingsguard Submod - v1.3.1]

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

Knights of the Sword Tower [Kingsguard Submod - v1.3.1]

PostPosted by Turncloak » Fri May 20, 2016 19:03

I always felt that Kingsguard didn’t play a prominent enough role in the game so I decided to create a submod to rectify that and make the KG more visible when playing as the King.

The submod introduces three new features:

1. Kingsguard Honor, which represents a general opinion of the Kingsguard as a whole depending on the actions of their members. The more noble deeds your Kingsguards do the higher their honor and thus the opinion of them changes to positive. The opposite happens when your Kingsguards are less than virtuous and commit acts of infamy.
Spoiler: show
The fame/infamy is calculated on a 25 points scale, so it will require couple good, or bad deeds to change the modifier

2. Kingsguard’s notoriety, that is the fame or infamy of an individual Kingsguard.
Each bad or good deed is reflected in the modifier, but opposite to what Stannis said, a good act does wash out the bad one! So the modifier jumps up or down on each good or bad event.

3. The White Book, where all the achievements and dishonorable deeds of your individual Kingsguards are stored.
Achievements like grand tourney wins, being on small council, being a formidable fighter, and 15 different outcomes of notable trait events are recorded in the book.

What comes with it, are 26 flavor events that are triggered depending on the traits of your Kingsguards. Greedy, lustful, cruel, etc. characters will trigger bad events, whereas just, brave, chaste, etc. knights will trigger positive events.

On top of that there are 4 Kingsguard Protection Events that have a whooping total of 20 different outcomes!
PLUS 4 Kingsguard Quests with 8 different outcomes and 12 extra events.

SCREENIES:
Example of event a KG with humble trait may get (there are 2 events for humble characters):

Example of event a KG with wroth trait may get (there are 3 wroth events in general):

Example of one of five notifications you get when your KG honor changes:

Expample of a Kingsguard dying on duty while protecting the King:

Sending your Kingsguard on a Quest:

DOWNLOAD LINK: Click here to download KotST 1.3.1 (via google drive)
IF LINK DOESN"T WORK PLEASE POST OR PM SO I CAN FIX THAT! Thank You.

Version List:
Version 1.3.1:
- Hotfix for the new flavour event
Version 1.3:
- 4 KG Quests with 8 possible outcomes and 12 new events
- 1 New Flavour Event
- Minor Balancing / Bug Fixing
Version 1.2:
- New Kingsguard Protection events
- Fixed WB text issues
- Reduced the wait time between events by 20%
Version 1.1.5:
- Changed is_female to male_only to fix it showing in error log
Version 1.1.5:
- Fixed bug with WB not displaying properly
- Fixed the small council entry not displaying properly
Version 1.1:
- Added one more option to lustful KG event
- Added the White Book script.
Version 1.0:
- First Release
- Came with: 26 KG trait events + KG honor modifiers (for KG and Liege)

FAQ:
How do I know the mod is working?
Few days (approx 10) into the reign of your character you will get the kingsguard honor modifier, also Lord Commander of KG will get his fame modifier.

Is this mod compatible with....?
This mod doesn't change any original files, so it is and should be compatible with all current and upcoming versions of AGOT. It also shouldn't conflict with any other submods (testing needed)

Why are my KGs not getting "Ordinary Kingsguard" modifiers?
This is a funny thing, apparently triggered modifiers aren't given to non-landed characters, so only Lord Commander will get the modifier. But the other (good and bad) modifiers are working fine, so any KG without a modifier has no fame or infamy.
Last edited by Turncloak on Sun Sep 10, 2017 18:22, edited 20 times in total.
Turncloak

Re: Knights of the Sword Tower [KotST] submod

PostPosted by AWildWightAppeared! » Fri May 20, 2016 23:55

This looks really good! I am looking forward to more events as now I can finally see how "honorable" my kingsguard is! :D
AWildWightAppeared!

Re: Knights of the Sword Tower [KotST] submod [v1.0]

PostPosted by AWildWightAppeared! » Sun May 22, 2016 09:52

OK so I did a playthrough as Rhaegar in Bobby's Rebellion and first event for KG was "Arthur Dayne is so proud that he stepped in some horse shit and is now known as a disgraceful knight." I laughed so hard at that! Though a sidenote was that some of my KG ended up having the Valiant KG and Nothing interesting KG modifiers at the same time. Also Btw, Benjen got Formidable Fighter and so then I got him into KG + Blackfish as well.
Anyway it's a great mod and I look forward to using it more and more!
AWildWightAppeared!

PostPosted by Turncloak » Sun May 22, 2016 11:32

AWildWightAppeared! wrote:Though a sidenote was that some of my KG ended up having the Valiant KG and Nothing interesting KG modifiers at the same time.

There are only 5 KG modifiers, that are on a scale from V.Bad, Bad, Normal, Good, V.Good. So for each good deed they get a modifier UP, for each bad deed they get a modifier down.

Although I could make it (Now that you gave me this idea) individual modifiers, or at least groups of modifiers, for some bad and good events, the problem is that there aren't many effects to choose from aside from giving or taking away prestige, piety, etc. which doesn't have any effect on the KG because they don't use it at all. So only difference would be the name.

Initially there was an idea to make the white book, where each of their "deed" would be logged in, but to create such a thing would require pretty much again the same amount of time and effort to get this submod up and running.

Unless (and this is a question to any modder reading this) there is a way to add multiple EVTDESC to single events separated by \n in the localisation file. (I don't mean the if = { trigger = X } EVTDESC (because that chooses only one desc))
Turncloak

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:10

Turncloak wrote:Unless (and this is a question to any modder reading this) there is a way to add multiple EVTDESC to single events separated by \n in the localisation file. (I don't mean the if = { trigger = X } EVTDESC (because that chooses only one desc))

Nope, you can do that with tooltips but not events
Graduate Content Designer on Project Caligula

My amazingly empty Twitter account: @blackninja9939

Posts edited in this colour were done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by AWildWightAppeared! » Sun May 22, 2016 13:00

Ok thanks for clearing that up.
AWildWightAppeared!

PostPosted by Turncloak » Mon May 23, 2016 16:31

OUTDATED PROGRESS REPORT:

I've scrapped the old idea and started the whole White Book script from scratch.

Here is an example of a White Book (WB) for a KG that didn't distinguish himself with anything.

And here is a few console cheats later.

As you can see Sir Criston was a busy bee in that 10 seconds between the cheats and not only gained a first place in a tourney, but also improved his swordsmanship to the max level. From other news I imprisoned him for having a hanky-panky with my wife. If I would just let it slide it would have a different entry, and it would have no entry if I would decide to keep their affair secret to avoid a scandal.

As he was always a wrothful guy he killed in rage one of the courtiers, but I didn't like the courtier anyway, so I pardoned his crime.

His achievements can be compared to Ser Kyles...

As you can see he also is a Grand Tourney champion and also a formidable swordsman, but the entries in his book are different. This is because the script chooses the description from a prepared list. It also memorizes it so each individual book looks the same each time, even though it can be updated with new information.

In a couple days time I will be updating the submod with this whitebook script. It will have 8 entries (4 for good events, 4 for bad events) and counting the decisions it should have around 16 unique entries that can be added. On top of that having a KG as member of small council, having him win a grand tourney or becoming a formidable swordsman also updates the book. In the final version of the submod (with the KG protection events) it will have an additional 7 entries which will yield (approx) 20 unique entries (depending on fail, success, being wounded on mission, or failing to protect and getting the King killed).
Last edited by Turncloak on Tue May 31, 2016 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Turncloak

Re: Knights of the Sword Tower [Kingsguard Submod - v1.1]

PostPosted by Turncloak » Wed May 25, 2016 11:14

Updated to version 1.1 with the features mentioned above (aka. White Book)
Turncloak

PostPosted by Azsouth » Wed May 25, 2016 11:50

this is pretty awesome, can't wait til you get done doing what you initially want to do, seems very promising on the requested added kingsguard flavor that I as well as other have been asking for. Just hope it's compatible w/ the 20 other sub-mods I use :)
Azsouth

PostPosted by Lucerys » Wed May 25, 2016 17:11

Only weird thing happening to me is that I can't open the White Book . I'm just a lord but I wanted to check out White Book feature but when I right click at KG and then use the button , nothing happens.
Also I have no fame trait for KG.
Lucerys

PostPosted by Turncloak » Wed May 25, 2016 17:52

Lucerys wrote:Only weird thing happening to me is that I can't open the White Book . I'm just a lord but I wanted to check out White Book feature but when I right click at KG and then use the button , nothing happens.

Yes, sorry 'bout that. I set the wrong char-scope so every time you used the button to open the book it worked, but it opened the book for the KIng. Now it will open it for any character that uses the option.

I have updated the link so now it is fixed, you can download the updated version here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwsST ... XlxWXFlRDQ or use the link in first post. Just overwrite the submod folder with this one.

Also I have no fame trait for KG.

I think you mean the fame modifier. It only shows for the Lord Commander of the KG (because of the bad scripting I made), but doesn't show for the ordinary KG until they get some fame or infamy. In other words it works, but the "Ordinary" (0 fame/infamy) modifier doesn't show for normal KG, but any other modifier does show.

Thanks for your input, if you find any other problems or bugs please post, as it helps me update and upgrade the submod much quicker.
Turncloak

PostPosted by Lucerys » Wed May 25, 2016 18:19

Now the White Books works but for some reason every KG Has this Line : For his diligence was appointed as member of Small Council.
Lucerys

Re: Knights of the Sword Tower [Kingsguard Submod - v1.15]

PostPosted by Turncloak » Wed May 25, 2016 18:35

Lucerys wrote:Now the White Books works but for some reason every KG Has this Line : For his diligence was appointed as member of Small Council.

Thanks again for your input. For the time being removed this entry all together. I had minor problems with it before, but didn't think it would go wild and bug-out the WB.

Updated the downlaod link and changelog. (Will try fixing this small council bug,but I think because of how the scopes work it won't be possible)

P.S. Just a note, updating the version will not remove this bugged entry, because it is already saved in the savegame. So only the new KG won't get this entry, the old ones will still have it.

P.P.S. I forgot that only the LC of the KG can get this entry (as you can only appoint your direct vassals or courtiers to the council) so it will be definitely fixed and re-added in the upcoming release.
Turncloak

PostPosted by Lucerys » Wed May 25, 2016 18:50

Also is it compatible with the Kingsguard ambition ?
Lucerys

PostPosted by Turncloak » Wed May 25, 2016 18:58

Lucerys wrote:Also is it compatible with the Kingsguard ambition ?

KotST doesn't overwrite any AGOT files so it should be compatible with any mod that does. I looked at the Kingsguard ambition mod files, and from what I can see there should be nothing that could create a conflict.

If anything does create a conflict please post and I'll see if it can be fixed. But my best educated guess is that nothing should ever conflict with this mod, as it doesn't change any of the original AGOT files.
Turncloak

PostPosted by Lucerys » Wed May 25, 2016 19:02

Another error with the White Book , after updating I don't have any option to check out the Whitebook.
Seems like one error disappears and new one appears :lol:
Lucerys

Re: Knights of the Sword Tower [Kingsguard Submod - v1.1.5]

PostPosted by Turncloak » Wed May 25, 2016 19:38

Okay, updated it (again, sheesh) with the in progress version which has the small council entry fixed. So now only (as it should be) the Lord Commander can get this entry when appointed to small council.

I hope all bugs are now fixed. At least the ones that are mod breaking.

This will teach me to beta-test the hell out of any future versions. ; P

P.S. the version is still called 1.1.5 but I have updated the download link with all patches.

Again, thanks Lucerys for your posts. I just don't play the game much so most of my tests are superficial.
Turncloak

PostPosted by Lucerys » Wed May 25, 2016 19:49

I enjoy this mod really much , and If I fix the KG Ambition mod (Which for some reason doesn't make even 1 courtier have that ambition) , it will be perfect. I'm just waiting for reply from the KG Ambition dev.
Lucerys

PostPosted by Lucerys » Thu May 26, 2016 16:22

And for some reason king doesn't appoint new KG.
Lucerys

PostPosted by Turncloak » Thu May 26, 2016 16:40

Lucerys wrote:And for some reason king doesn't appoint new KG.

It must be something on your side. The KG ambition makes changes to the KG appointment mechanics. My submod makes no changes to that.

(Or did you post this in the wrong section?)
Turncloak

Next

Return to Sub-Mods