Worst Kings of Westeros

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Worst Kings of Westeros

PostPosted by Flamequeen » Wed Jun 01, 2016 03:03

Who do you think was the worst King of Westeros? Who was the best? post below from the best King of Westeros to the worst King (1 being the best/greatest and 10 being the worst).

These are who I think are the best and worst rulers of Westeros:

1. Jaehaerys 1 'the Wise'
2. Aegon the Conqueror
3. Aegon the Unlikely (Aegon V)
4. Daeron the Good
5. Aegon II
6. Maegor the Cruel
7. Aegon the Unworthy
8. Robert Baratheon
9. Aerys the Mad
10. Joffery Lannister

(With Joffery and Aerys either one can be number 10. I put Joffery at 10 because before the Defiance of Duskendale Aerys was a alright ruler and not yet insane or evil. He wasn't born evil, unlike Joffery and when everything went to shit he was literally insane, while Joffery was just a evil little shit from the moment he was born and was never 'insane' in the clinical sense. Also with Aegon the Unworthy and Robert with one can be 7 or 8 because they both drank and whored a lot and didn't really give a shit about the Kingdom at all. Still, I'd rather them rule than Aerys or Joffery).
'To be or not to be? That is the question' - Shakespeare
Flamequeen

Re: Worst Kings of Westeros

PostPosted by Dawnbreaker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 04:28

I wouldn't put Robert under Aegon the unworthy, after all, Robert was a lesser more moral Aegon.
Dawnbreaker

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Thu Jun 02, 2016 07:08

These are not in any order, but I felt "best" and "worst" weren't exactly the best way to describe each kings.

Weak Kings - A weak king is one who is either incredibly ineffectual or doesn't rule his kingdom.
+Aenys I Targaryen - The very first weak king of the Seven Kingdoms. Rebellions sparked not long after he became ruler. Was ineffective at stopping them as well. Had to rely on his younger brother Maegor.
+Viserys I Targaryen - It was a toss up between putting him here or down below under Neutral Kings. His reign was very... plain. Nothing really happened. I placed him under weak kings though because of the succession crisis that followed his death.
+Baelor I Targaryen (the Blessed) - Of the 2-3 Targaryens that caused that stupid saying "When a Targaryen is born a coin is flipped" to be assumed for all of them even though 99% of them were actually sane, and the few that do get counted as mad had very good reasons for their mental breakdowns... Only he and maybe 1-2 others could conceivably bonifide be called mad from the get-go. Anyways he was a weak ruler.
+Aegon V Targaryen (the Unlikely) - I am putting the entirety of Robert's Rebellion as his fault. He was a weak ruler and couldn't say no to his children. Nevermind the whole burning of Summerhall and the killing of most of the remaining Targaryens...
+Joffrey I Baratheon - Weak and incredibly stupid. Not to mention he is a tyrant (mentioned later)
+Tommen I Baratheon - Tommen is an incredibly weak king so far, but he has the chances of being a good king (as in nothing happens). His success as a ruler depends entirely on his advisors. If he has strong advisors like say.. Kevan Lannister and Maester Pycelle, he will be an okay king. With advisors like Cersei, he will be a terrible king.

Strongest Kings - The most effective, and strongest rulers. While peace may not always have lasted, and they may have died in battle... They would be the rulers that went above and beyond.
+Aegon I Targaryen (the Conqueror) - He forged the kingdom in war. Clearly the greatest warrior king of the Seven Kingdoms. Not only that but he was able to juggle all of those powers and ensure it survived out of it's infancy. Even with the weak and stupid Aenys that followed, and the tyrant Maegor. His kingdom did survive past him so he did his job right.
+Jaehaerys I Targaryen (the Wise) - It is extremely hard to decide who is a better king between Jaehaerys and Aegon. That is one of the reasons this list is not numbered.
+Daeron I Targaryen (the Young Dragon) - The conquest of Dorne did not last that long, but it was a great and first step in years to expand the kingdom. It also led to the eventual absorption of Dorne under future rulers. While his reign wasn't really nearly long enough to make him a truly great king, I couldn't in good faith put him anywhere else on the lists..
+Daeron II Targaryen (the Good) - Belongs on this list as he was king during the Blackfyre Rebellions, which I would place more on the stupidity of his fathers actions then his. While definitely not the strongest of kings, he did manage to bring the kingdom back together after rebellion and ensure it stayed whole.

Tyrannical Kings - A Tyrannical king is one who goes about squashing the rights of the lesser people/lords.
+Maegor I Targaryen (the Cruel) - The first of the Tyrants for the Seven Kingdoms. Westeros version of Henry VIII. Honestly except for his strive to have a son, he wasn't exactly a terrible king. After having such a weak king precede him, the throne needed Maegor's iron fist. Without Maegor, Jaehaerys would not have been as effective a ruler.
+Aegon IV Targaryen (the Unworthy) - Aegon IV I couldn't place anywhere else. He wasn't a weak ruler, he wasn't a strong ruler. He couldn't keep it in his pants though and his deathbed legitimizing all of his bastards led the kingdom to war later on.
+Aerys II Targaryen (the Mad King) - Aerys the Mad is a very troubled figure. When he was younger, he was actually a very great king. But being captured by the whole Duskendale Defiance and in prison all that time broke his mind and turned him into a tyrant. He definitely wasn't a weak king, and during the beginning of his reign he was strong.
+Robert I Baratheon (the Usurper) - Elia Martell, Rhaenyra Targaryen, Pisswater Prince. He may not have done the raping murdering himself to secure his rule, but he also didn't punish them. I cannot place him under weak kings, nor can I place him under strong kings. Some of his actions were very tyrannical though.
+Joffrey I Baratheon - The only ruler that gets a second mention. The only thing that kept Joffrey from being a Tyrant was that he was an incredibly weak ruler

Neutral Kings - These Rulers are ones who didn't exactly stand out in one way or another. They weren't weak rulers, they weren't strong rulers. They were just... rulers.
+Aegon II Targaryen/Rhaenyra I Targaryen - Including them both together, because Rhaenyra held Kings Landing and basically ruled the kingdom for a few months. Seriously neither of them reigned long enough and they spent most their reigns in war against each other. They weren't very weak because they were able to draw large groups together nor were either very strong because they were unable to secure the throne without war. They both had slight leanings towards being tyrants.
+Aegon III Targaryen (Dragonbane) - Aegon III was basically what, the last Targaryen standing? He really didn't stand out as a ruler. I mean he kept the peace but that's about it yeah?
+Viserys II Targaryen - While Viserys was a very effective ruler as he was hand of the king. He wasn't exactly strongest ruler material.
+Aerys I Targaryen - He doesn't really fit anywhere else on the list.
+Maekar I Targaryen - He doesn't really fit anywhere else on the list.
+Jaehaerys II Targaryen - He doesn't really fit anywhere else on the list.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Azsouth » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:18

all that w/ a cellphone :)
Azsouth

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Thu Jun 02, 2016 18:32

USB Tethering. I did all that on my computer, I am just using the phone as a modem/router
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Lashuni » Sat Jun 04, 2016 14:11

How can this even go on without Aegon IV the Unworthy? He caused five civil rebellions on his dead-bed and sold a dragon egg for the daugther of a Lord Paramount.
Lashuni

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Sun Jun 05, 2016 07:12

Lashuni if you want to go about that and include all the Blackfyre rebellions instead of just the one...

Viserys I is fully responsible for the total extinction of Dragons and countless Targaryen lives because he could not ensure the succession after his death.
Aegon V the Unlikely is fully responsible for the near total extinction of House Targaryen, as well as their loss of the Seven Kingdoms and forced exile from Westeros, because he gave one of his daughters in marriage to House Baratheon to placate the Baratheon lord at the time.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by hedop » Sun Jul 10, 2016 16:37

Robert was probably the absolute worst. Yes Aaerys was mad as a hatter but he still had the sense to have Tywin Lannister as hand of the king to run the show and somehow managed to rule quite some time even though he was mad as a hatter. Robert impoverished the realm in his what? 15 years? He let his house be cuckolded out of the line of succession. He basically spent all his time whoring, drinking and eating. His complacency was directly responsible for several wars in the wake of his death. If at least some of the events of the movies come true than his death and his complacency will have led to half the great houses of Westeros being nearly wiped out, a startling death count, a bankcrupt realm and several years of children tyrannically ruling the Seven Kingdoms... You can't beat that.

A guy like Aery's ruled 21 years. And when he was done basically everything went back to being good. Robert's death and his former mismanagement of the realm left a festering wound that hasn't even stopped bleeding yet. And before anyone starts... yes you are fucking responsible for all of that if you are too drunk to realize you have been cuckolded again and again for more than a dozen years, have 3 children that look nothing like you and are nothing like you whereas all your bastards look like you, all your brothers look like you and there is even a fucking book telling you what your children ought to look like. You are also responsible for neglecting your kingship if you ruin the realm. You are also responsible if you allow dozens of other man to have more power in your court and capitol than you do. I mean if you think this whole thing through Robert is basically responsible for effectively wiping out house Baretheon once Stannis dies, wiping out (at least officially) House Stark and possibly (in the future) wiping out House Tyrell. That is amazing... a war lasting for years, the North and the Riverlands bled dry of manpower, the Riverlands bled dry of Small Folk, the Iron Islands in arms, Dorne in league with a possible invasion, an invasion in the lands that your family used to hold, 2 bastards on the Iron Throne, the Death of the Jon Arryn and Ned Stark, two wardens of the realm, the death of Tywin Lannister, another warden of the realm, starvation throughout the realm and brigands and bandits roaming the realm.

Well done Robert. Honestly... Aerys would have had to roast the whole of King's Landing and then some to equal that death toll and all because he fancied fucking and getting wasted not even for something remotely noble or in any way nice... like legitimizing all your bastards. I mean he didn't even protect them... he knew Cersei killed them off given the chance and he didn't give a shit about it. No... Robert for me is the worst thing that ever happened to the Seven Kingdoms by far.
hedop

PostPosted by Themoonlightsculptor » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10

hedop wrote:Robert was probably the absolute worst. Yes Aaerys was mad as a hatter but he still had the sense to have Tywin Lannister as hand of the king to run the show and somehow managed to rule quite some time even though he was mad as a hatter. Robert impoverished the realm in his what? 15 years? He let his house be cuckolded out of the line of succession. He basically spent all his time whoring, drinking and eating. His complacency was directly responsible for several wars in the wake of his death. If at least some of the events of the movies come true than his death and his complacency will have led to half the great houses of Westeros being nearly wiped out, a startling death count, a bankcrupt realm and several years of children tyrannically ruling the Seven Kingdoms... You can't beat that.

A guy like Aery's ruled 21 years. And when he was done basically everything went back to being good. Robert's death and his former mismanagement of the realm left a festering wound that hasn't even stopped bleeding yet. And before anyone starts... yes you are fucking responsible for all of that if you are too drunk to realize you have been cuckolded again and again for more than a dozen years, have 3 children that look nothing like you and are nothing like you whereas all your bastards look like you, all your brothers look like you and there is even a fucking book telling you what your children ought to look like. You are also responsible for neglecting your kingship if you ruin the realm. You are also responsible if you allow dozens of other man to have more power in your court and capitol than you do. I mean if you think this whole thing through Robert is basically responsible for effectively wiping out house Baretheon once Stannis dies, wiping out (at least officially) House Stark and possibly (in the future) wiping out House Tyrell. That is amazing... a war lasting for years, the North and the Riverlands bled dry of manpower, the Riverlands bled dry of Small Folk, the Iron Islands in arms, Dorne in league with a possible invasion, an invasion in the lands that your family used to hold, 2 bastards on the Iron Throne, the Death of the Jon Arryn and Ned Stark, two wardens of the realm, the death of Tywin Lannister, another warden of the realm, starvation throughout the realm and brigands and bandits roaming the realm.

Well done Robert. Honestly... Aerys would have had to roast the whole of King's Landing and then some to equal that death toll and all because he fancied fucking and getting wasted not even for something remotely noble or in any way nice... like legitimizing all your bastards. I mean he didn't even protect them... he knew Cersei killed them off given the chance and he didn't give a shit about it. No... Robert for me is the worst thing that ever happened to the Seven Kingdoms by far.

amen
The truth. as King Dezmod used to say, looking at the chamber pot after
relieving himself "The mind cannot comprehend this".
Themoonlightsculptor

Return to Story and Lore