Some little history about dorne

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Some little history about dorne

PostPosted by Themoonlightsculptor » Sun Jun 19, 2016 00:16

Okay I didn't do some thorough research about this but if one of you know better please share.
Did you know the dorne behaviour during AEGON conquest was inspired from Russia.
During the Napoleonic era when France was feared through all Europe napoleon make Russia embargo grand Britain,but then later they betray him and he marched with 415K armed men and he win some battle and walk straight to Moscow and win fair and straight but this is Russia we are talking about and there was no one there and they later burned the city (the Russian).

PS: winter came 3 week earlier and destroyed most of his army hence caused his fall.
Themoonlightsculptor

Re: Some little history about dorne

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 01:55

Russians used Scorched Earth.

Dorne's strategy felt more like Fabian strategy to me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabian_strategy
SinStar87

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Sun Jun 19, 2016 22:36

Sin lol, straight from that wiki page you linked "Used against Napoleon's Grande Armée the Fabian strategy proved to be decisive in the defense of Russia". But it also corroborates with "Fabian strategy is sometimes combined with scorched earth tactics"

But yeh, either Guerilla warfare or the Fabian strategy was employed by Dorne. No need at all for a scorched earth policy simply because the "earth" was already scorched.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 06:35

Yes I know, it's also after the "combined with scorched earthed" part. But it's more different levels of the same thing.
SinStar87

PostPosted by Themoonlightsculptor » Mon Jun 20, 2016 22:16

I think I would know the difference between scorching your land and burning down your city.
"The Russians retreated and Napoleon was able to enter Moscow, assuming that the fall of Moscow would end the war and that Alexander I would negotiate peace. However, on orders of the city's military governor and commander-in-chief, Fyodor Rostopchin, rather than capitulating, Moscow was ordered burned. Within the month, fearing loss of control back in France, Napoleon left Moscow."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_I_of_France
Themoonlightsculptor

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 22:39

Given GRRM's penchant for ripping from Medieval history, it's probably based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_du_Guesclin

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/First_Dornish_War
Unless I'm missing something, the Dornish never burned any of their stuff, they just refused to fight when the dragons were around, sticking to raiding and harassing. So not sure why you posted about Moscow burning.
Last edited by SinStar87 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
SinStar87

PostPosted by Themoonlightsculptor » Mon Jun 20, 2016 22:53

the similarity was them leaving the city instead of proper surrender the part about burning it was purely informative but anyhow know those dornishmen they would have done.
Themoonlightsculptor

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 17:37

That's a big part of the fighting withdraw though, whatever form it takes, kinda defeats the point of it if you hunker down into a defense. I mean George Washington did the same with New York, even wanted to burn the city to Fuck the Brits out of it's infrastructure.

I wish there was more detail on what's his face from the previous link, cause I really feel that that is where GRRM would take inspiration. And that siege defended with old people and children is such a great "fuck you for invading us" I really want it to be based on actual history.
SinStar87

Return to Story and Lore