Who has the most skilled army

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Re: Who has the most skilled army

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 23:10

Yes. Language, by it's natural need to be understood, should be as simple as possible while maintaining it's meaning.
You can find my many mods here
My Paypal link if you want to send me some money for whatever reason.
Literary World of Goshen
Goshen Sagas Group - Newly Open Goshen Sagas Reddit
SinStar87

PostPosted by cyanidebaby » Wed Sep 21, 2016 14:27

Qyburn :p
cyanidebaby

PostPosted by armychowmein » Thu Sep 22, 2016 19:12

SinStar87 wrote:None of your points mean anything then, since it's all luck of the draw. Distance/difficulty don't matter because they were just lucky to get all the calculations correct, kills don't because they were just lucky to stumble on to enemies. Any position you take can easily be dismissed as "they got/could get lucky" and you've, basically, wasted yours and every one else's time by being in the discussion. So thanks, I guess?

Sin man, that, I'm sorry to say, is unfortunately wrong. A sniper spends more time on the range than anyone else. Why? Because he needs to know exactly how every projectile will react given different conditions. Everything gets recorded into what's referred to as a Dope book. Mine's around 1400 pages and I really need to digitize it. Before we would deploy to various regions, I'd spend months out on the KD range with multiple SWS's doing my homework. For example, I know that the M24 I deployed with to Afghanistan had a 699 round count through the barrel. This meant that I was limited to shots less than about 680m with that SWS. However, the barrel of my 300 winnie had 177 rounds through it at the time we deployed, meaning I was still good for another 800+ rounds at distances between 1.5K to 2.2K, but I was only good for about 300+ rounds beyond that distance (given the load of the round used for shots taken longer than 1.3 miles). On the range, I know (given the load and the SWS and the glass) I'm good out to about 1.9 miles. But I've never taken a shot out of anger that was further than 600 meters (which was about 150 meters hilariously outside the effective range of my M4). A true "Sniper" is never really ever known because the primary role of sniper on the battlefield is observation and intelligence collection.
armychowmein

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 19:14

armychowmein wrote:...

How's it wrong then? It's a chide against Lancelot for dismissing sniper's ability to put a bullet on a target as luck rather than skill.
You can find my many mods here
My Paypal link if you want to send me some money for whatever reason.
Literary World of Goshen
Goshen Sagas Group - Newly Open Goshen Sagas Reddit
SinStar87

PostPosted by armychowmein » Thu Sep 22, 2016 19:15

SinStar87 wrote:How's it wrong then? It's a chide against Lancelot for dismissing sniper's ability to put a bullet on a target as luck rather than skill.

I apologize. I am way to stoned and didn't fully follow the flow of the thread. I'm sorry.
armychowmein

PostPosted by armychowmein » Thu Sep 22, 2016 19:39

Going back to the main point of this post, what about unsullied? I get that they'd probably not be very good at improv like the Ironborn or Northerners, but what they lack there they certainly make up for in dedication and steadfastness.
armychowmein

PostPosted by azaghal » Fri Sep 23, 2016 22:03

Well, if we look outside of Westeros, it propably would be the golden company.

They lack in size, but by fully embracing a versatile army with the parts supporting eachother they do something the "knight+levy" armies in Westeros can't even comprehend.

Greetings
azaghal

PostPosted by armychowmein » Fri Sep 23, 2016 23:40

azaghal wrote:Well, if we look outside of Westeros, it propably would be the golden company.

They lack in size, but by fully embracing a versatile army with the parts supporting eachother they do something the "knight+levy" armies in Westeros can't even comprehend.

Greetings

Oh duh, of course the Golden Company. I can't believe I forgot! And they're always fighting so they're constantly battle tested.
armychowmein

Previous

Return to Story and Lore