Need Kickass Guard Themed Flags

For any gfx related subject (flags, portraits, icons, interface...)

Need Kickass Guard Themed Flags

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 21:53

It's been pointed out to me that although the current flag in Collinsguard is the best design and execution you've ever seen, everyone having the same one is not. As such, I could use about a dozen custom creations with guard themes to use as flags. If you have to use work not your own, please make sure to transform it in a meaningful way and not just copy and paste. I don't need ninja yelling at me because of CNDs.
SinStar87

Re: Need Kickass Guard Themed Flags

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 22:02

And for anyone with complaints, please send them to ninja, I've empowered him to act as my agent for such things here.
SinStar87

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 22:06

Anyone got a complaint they can bother literally anyone but me to keep my days happy and relaxed
If a post is edited in this colour then it was done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines Sub-Mod
More Decisions Sub-Mod
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
Duel Recorder
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 22:11

As you can see, he's overjoyed to have the responsibility. But I've no wish to tax his good nature, so again please keep the third party IP to a minimum.
SinStar87

PostPosted by foxwillow » Fri Sep 09, 2016 00:50

i'll do it!

but i have no idea what "it" even is

i looked at the submod and the explanation confused me :lol:

i did see the screenshot you had with the CoA i made you. Flags and CoAs (for some reason) don't use the same positioning on the field/overlay/whatever (it's really sad that i can't think of quite the correct term). notice the green goes down farther on the flag than it would on a collins CoA

i'll fix that if you want

um

these need to be flags, or CoAs?

also what is CND. not that it matters almost everything i do is my work anyway. just wondering what the abbreviation means :D
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 01:35

How I have it set up now, every guard title created will use the same title flag, the one you created for me, that doesn't do for people so I need a bunch of new ones so they aren't all the same.

CND = Cease and Desist letters a common tactic in IP protection.
SinStar87

PostPosted by foxwillow » Fri Sep 09, 2016 01:56

ok it's a title so it's a flag. i know you already had mentioned it but just making sure :D

i figure i can come up with 10 or so, then give a few color/pattern variations for those 10, giving you 30 or so? also what exactly are things you are considering guard themed (just to save time incase you don't like what i'd choose).

and i'll re-tweak the collins one so it looks better on a flag. :)
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 02:00

Wow, that's alot, I was only thinking like 12. As for guard themed, I have no idea, just interesting.
SinStar87

PostPosted by foxwillow » Fri Sep 09, 2016 02:13

well color variations take only milliseconds so... :p

gave the mod a better read-through. i like it! seems like the kind of common sense gameplay idea that should eventually wind up in the main mod.

naming-wise, so if like, dorne is an empire, and you make the guard, it'd be named Dorneguard... based on you saying "{primary title}guard"... right?

i'm always big on the immersion. i'm a little nuts. i did make more than 90 CoAs for dorne for the upcoming update :p. but if you could come up with a list of the most likely _____guard names, i could give them flags that make some sense, then also make the randoms. it'd just be weird if Dorneguard didn't get something that felt right. like if they got a black and white wolf holding a sword or something. i'm just suggesting though. i can just make ya random stuff too.

since kingsguard uses just a pure white field, i did have some ideas to make all the ____guard CoAs carry a matching theme of some sort, too. maybe.
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 02:27

Yeah Dorneguard.

This has screenshots on the mod.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =756678866

Titles are likely to be the existing landed empires, The North, The Rock, The Reach, The Vale, The Trident, Braavos, New Valyria, Ghiscar, etc.
SinStar87

PostPosted by foxwillow » Fri Sep 09, 2016 02:36

i only play westeros so i have no idea what is even on Essos :lol:

also the only ones i know of are the obvious ones, so go ahead and fill me on the others. The only scenario i have ever played is robert's rebellion. over. and over. :D

The Northguard
The Valeguard
The Rockguard
The Reachguard
Dorneguard
Riverlandsguard?
Stormlandsguard?
... Westerlandsguard?

I'm already pretty sure I am terrible at this. :lol:
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 02:47

The Northguard
The Valeguard
The Reachguard
Dorneguard
The Tridentguard
The Stormlandsguard
The Rockguard
Iron Islesguard
Braavosguard
New Valyriaguard
Ghiscarguard
Dothraki Seaguard
YiTiguard
Summer Islesguard
The Three Daughter'sguard

Lots of Thes in empire titles. The way I plan it is, creation fires an event then there's a reforge like list of options to change the flag to something else and there'd be ~ 12 options to choose from(cause I'm lazy).
Last edited by SinStar87 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 08:23, edited 2 times in total.
SinStar87

PostPosted by foxwillow » Fri Sep 09, 2016 06:15

I know nothing of coding and crap. My only suggestion to clean things up would be leave {Primary Title}guard as a catch-all (incase someone is using mods or something that give a bunch of other possible Empires it will still work).

Then make like, if:

Empire of The Stormlands: Stormguard
Empire of The Rock: Rockguard
Empire of The North: Northguard
Empire of The Vale: Valeguard
Empire of The Trident: Tridentguard
Empire of The Iron Isles: Ironguard
Empire of Summer Isles: Summerguard

Empire of Dorne, Empire of Braavos, Empire of Ghiscar, Empire of YiTi wouldn't need any special attention as the catch-all would work on them.

That'd leave these more optional ones:
Empire of New Valyria: Valyriaguard (It's not like there's going to be a competing "Valyria" to confuse them with...)
Empire of Dothraki Sea: Dothrakiguard
Empire of The Three Daughters: Daughtersguard (The Three Daughter'sguard may be one of the worst generated title names I've ever come across, haha. That apostrophe randomly in the middle... so good :p)

Don't mind me too much, I do acknowledge that you explicitly mentioned laziness. :p I'm just suggesting what seems the most immersive, as I don't know just how difficult it would be. And the Catch-all would still be needed just in case of other mods giving more Empire name options. North of the Wall doesn't count as an empire, right? Beyond The Wallguard might rival The Three Daughter'sguard in terribadness :p :D
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 08:21

Thankfully, no, there's no Emperor BTW.

Yea I'll fix them up like that sooner or later. So if you do 1 each for the Above titles and a bunch of random ones I'll implement them as the base ones and create the mentioned reforge like system for the rest so people can change them to something else if they like. And if people have Customizer DLC I believe they can change the name's to whatever they like.

Seems it's The Three Daughters rather than The Three Daughter's so. Yeah, my bad. :)
SinStar87

PostPosted by foxwillow » Sat Sep 10, 2016 01:04

aw less funny that way :( :D
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 07:33

:)
Well I've, hopefully, gotten everything in place for the implementation of the flags. Or atleast all the code I threw at it hasn't crashed yet.
SinStar87

PostPosted by foxwillow » Sun Sep 11, 2016 05:41

http://wikisend.com/download/933924/collinsguard_1.zip

that's the first chunk i did, based on the e_{titlename} flags in the mod folder. these took me longer than they should have cause i got super nitpicky about shit no one is ever going to remotely care about. :lol:

I definitely went more the simple route, cause the solid white kingsguard is oddly neat to me. so i went with a matching system for them all using a white bend (a few other basic ordinaries also mean protection, but i thought the bend was a little more fitting -- and allowed us to see more of the design behind it -- than the saltire).

anyway lemme know if you're into this general direction or not and i'll do the rest, then make a bunch of randoms. if you test in-game, they should look money.
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 07:00

I think they look and fit great definitely the right direction to my mind.
SinStar87

PostPosted by armychowmein » Thu Sep 22, 2016 20:30

Hey Sin,

I read on awoiaf that in TWoW, Barristan apparently describes the Kingsguard sigil as a crown surrounded by seven white swords. I don't know how reliable awoiaf is, but what do you think?
armychowmein

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 22:26

Not sure what you mean, think about it how?
SinStar87

Next

Return to Graphics and Art