[AAR] True king of Westeros: Targaryen AAR

Post your mod AARs and stories here

Re: [AAR] True king of Westeros: Targaryen AAR

PostPosted by White Dragon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 19:36

Well, there are the Sunglass of Sweetport and the Qoherys of Harrenhal. I always liked the Harrenhal families, there is a darkness looming over them somehow. If you have the congenital submod there is also the Drace. The other option could be a relative of Triarch Horonno from Volantis. Don't go for Starks, if you want my two cents. Stark-Targaryen is too much of a Jon Snow reminder.
White Dragon

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Wed Oct 19, 2016 19:38

White Dragon wrote:Well, there are the Sunglass of Sweetport and the Qoherys of Harrenhal. I always liked the Harrenhal families, there is a darkness looming over them somehow. If you have the congenital submod there is also the Drace. The other option could be a relative of Triarch Horonno from Volantis. Don't go for Starks, if you want my two cents. Stark-Targaryen is too much of a Jon Snow reminder.

Nope, no available Valyrians. I checked, but they are complete dumbasses. He is 4th in a line to inherit my little island? ERMAGHERD HOW DARE YOU PROPOSE HE MARRIES QUEEN OF WHOLE CONTINENT? HE IS TOO HIGH IN SUCCESSION, YOU LITTLE SHIT!
AI can sometimes be really stupid :D
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by White Dragon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 19:45

......Well, like you said, there are ways to force people into court. Do what is most interesting, even if it demands a few bodybags and cheats.
White Dragon

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:28

Chapter 9: Growing up, part 2

Start of lord Tyrell´s regency wasn´t time of great changes. Lord Paramount of the Reach was occupied with his war and while not personally leading his armies, he spent lot of time focused on it. Therefore, day to day running of the realm was left to the Small Council.
As year came to an end, people of King´s Landing started seeing red dragon flying north of the city. As it turned out, Meleys for some reason flew from Dragonstone and made her lair on shore north of King´s Landing. Some people were afraid, as unlike smallfolk on Dragonstone, they weren´t accustomed to the presence of wild dragons. In the end they weren´t the problem. Other courtiers saw Daeron each day and sometimes also flying on Dreamfyre above the city. Valyrians among them started wondering, if they could repeat this success and tame a dragon.
It was during third month of year 53 AC, when first one tried it. Ser Jarmen was wounded by Meleys, who furiously flew into the air and attacked herd of cattle, killing their owner in the process.
Tyrell´s war against Dorne continued throughout the year. Besides this war, there was peace. At the end of eleventh month, Jaehaerys and Alysanne visited their nieces. During their time in King´s Landing, Jaehaerys decided to give his unhatched dragon egg to Rhalla.
Month later, both girls started their studies. Aerea was chosen for studying war, while Rhalla was given education in diplomacy.
Lord Tyrell was losing his war, but he managed to achieve something. Prince Lewyn Martell, prince of Dorne was killed in battle with Tyrell forces, leaving his infant daughter to rule.
In the meantime, Aerea started to worry her teachers. She has developed liking for suffering of the others, something lord Tyrell actually seemed to support. But little queen wasn´t the main problem of the council. For the last year and a half, Meleys was causing trouble to shepherds and smallfolk around King´s Landing. It was only when the red dragon burned one of houses on the outskirts of the capital, when Small Council started taking her threat seriously. They argued and argued about right course of action, until lord Alliser Chelsted stood up and left.
Next day, news came to King´s Landing.
Lord Velaryon wanted to have him executed, but both lord Tyrell and High Septon were against it. They even thanked him for taking care of this threat. In the end, though, things calmed down and lord Chelsted kept his seat on the council, just like his head. Death of the dragon wasn´t all for nothing, as lord Alliser brought an egg which he found in her lair. It was given to Dreamfyre, to take care of it before it is given to the queen.
Year 55 AC came and even though original plans were to give the egg to Aerea, young queen refused. She kept focusing on her training and men and women started to call her „Young Dragon“. In the meantime, Tyrells were losing their war and lord Mern even faced multiple uprising of his own vassals.
Another bad news for house Targaryen came. Alysanne, who became pregnant during last year, gave birth to stillborn son, named Vaekar.
Later that year, white raven arrived. Winter was once again coming after four years of summer.
Year 56 AC started and regency of queen Aerea was coming to its end. She has become brave and honest and continued in her studies. Meanwhile, her sister´s egg hatched during first month of the year.
During that year, pox appeared in Reach and quickly spread throughout all of Reach, parts of Stormlands, Westerlands and south of Crownlands. King´s Landing was also hit by it.
Lord Mern Tyrell finally decided he had to address situation in Reach and voluntarily stepped down as regent. Grand Maester Desmond was appointed new regent and immediately chose to quarantine Red Keep from the rest of the city, with Dragonpit serving as secondary place for courtiers who already had the ilness.
At that time, Silverwing also laid an egg, which Alysanne kept to herself until she could give it to her possible child.
Pox wreaked havoc in the capital, affecting also some of courtiers, including dragonrider ser Daeron. At the start of year 57 AC, situation became so dire that people begged in front of Red Keep to be let in. While Grand Maester was simply afraid to let them in, Aerea didn´t even care about them, choosing to abandon citizens of the city completely.
Pox raged for whole year, but at the end of it, news came from Reach, where it slowly started to disappear.
At the beginning of year 58 AC, Aerea of House Targaryen, first of her name, Queen of the Andals, Rhoynar and the First Men, Lady of Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm became officially adult and assumed controll over her kingdom.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Fri Oct 21, 2016 14:44

Chapter 10: Reaper´s Due

„You can´t be serious, your Grace!“ shouted lord Tyrell.
„I can and I am,“ answered Aerea calmly, „and may I remind you it was during your regency when some son of a servant who became a knight was allowed to tame and keep my mother´s dragon, or when member of my own council chose to kill another one?“
„Meleys was burning the land. We couldn´t stand idly.“
„And why was that? Because after some idiot tamed Dreamfyre, you didn´t punish him, so another tried his luck with Meleys and pissed her off?“ shouted Aerea, now visibly angry, „dragons belong to Targaryens. We brought them from Valyria before the Doom and throughout the history, only members of our house and house Velaryon were allowed to ride them. You were fool to not punish him, so I will do it myself.“
„Your Grace,“ said High Septon, „you have no just cause to imprison him or execute him. He didn´t do anything that was against the law.“
„It is up to court to decide that. In the meantime, I order him to be imprisoned and put into Black Cells! That will be all, my lords.“
Aerea Targaryen began her reign by imprisoning dragonrider, ser Daeron. Some of her advisors disagreed with this, just like other lords who heard about this. Nevertheless, he was put into Black Cells, awaiting his trial.
Just like her sister, Rhalla finished her studies and became good negotiator. Yet her main goal was to ride her dragon, Fusrodax. Only two weeks after Aerea´s regency ended, she tried to tame him.
They had to carry her burned bones from his stable in Dragonpit while he slept.
And then, more bad news came. Jaehaerys Targaryen, struggling with infected wound for a long time, suddenly passed away. Vermithor was seen flying over King´s Landing, going to Dragonstone.
Spoiler: show

His wife Alysanne chose to abandon castle where she lived only because of her husband. Documents were created with her agreement that Glitterdell will be given to lord Lyman Lannister.
Many said days of House Targaryen were coming to an end, until Aerea proclaimed she and Alysanne will marry in style of Dornish and their children will be considered part of Targaryen dynasty. This cause another set of problems, as many lords were not willing to give their sons or nephews to them.
Thus, while pox still raged in the city, main concern of Aerea was to find suitable husbands for her and Alysanne. In the meantime, she ordered secret tunnels in Red Keep to be repaired and even found a man living in them (he was, of course, executed immediately).
At the start of seventh month of year 58, pox finally ended in the capital and Red Keep opened its gates. Trial of ser Daeron also started, but unlike anyone expected, judges deemed him innocent.
„We have no other option,“ said Daemon Velaryon, „we need to let him go.“
„So he will fly away, taking Dreamfyre with him? I don´t think so,“ said Aerea.
„People already call you a tyrant,“ said Alysanne, „what will they say when they hear you executed innocent man?“
„They will be angry and then they will go on with their lives,“ answered Aerea.
„By the Seven, are you completely mad? Uncle, will you try to talk sense to her?“
„What will be difference between you and Maegor if you do this?“ asked Velaryon, „people will see that nothing has changed and may even rise against you.“
„As they rose against Maegor?“ asked Aerea, „you fought alongside my father and mother, uncle. You have seen how those big lords stood behind him even though he was tyrannical usurper. But he was strong, just as I plan to be. And this man is threat to me. He will die and that is my final word.“
After the execution was over, Aerea started working on taming Dreamfyre. It took her few days until the dragon became accustomed to her and she was able to ride her.
Only day later, suitable groom was found. Lord Manderly was willing to marry his younger son, Emmet, to her. And only two weeks later, Alysanne was married to Quentyn Terrick.
ImageImage
Huge feast was organized, in an attempt to appease lords of the realm after unjust execution of ser Daeron. During that, Aerea befriended lord Aethan Manderly, her father-in-law.
As the year came to an end, she organized grand tourney for whole realm. It started in second month of next year and her main focus in it became problems in her family. Symeon Velaryon, younger son of her granduncle, Daemon Velaryon, accused him of cheating and even of sleeping with his wife. Eventually, she dealt with it by making Daemon pay his son, but as tourney ended, he imprisoned him nevertheless.
Tourney was won by ser Damion Sarsfield in joust against lord Hugh Waynwood.
During fourth month, whole Red Keep celebrated. Alysanne Targaryen was once again pregnant.
Yet at the end of eight month, she gave birth to stillborn boy, named Aenys. Combined with her first stillborn child, rumors started that she was drinking Moon Tea, something which both Aerea and Alysanne dismissed.
At the start of year 60 AC, lord paramount Hubert Arryn died, leaving his son Ellert to rule the Vale.
Mere month later, Edmyn Tully died clutching at his heart at the age of 40, leaving his one year old sickly son Athos to became lord of Trident.
First half of the year 60 AC was filled with deaths, including lord Vaegon Celtigar, lord of Claw Isle and Sweetport Sound (which Celtigars inherited from House Sunglass, now almost completely extinct with exception of one woman), who died under suspcious circumstances, leaving Daerys Celtigar, his distant relative, to become new lord.
Situation of house Tyrell became more and more dire, as another of their vassals started rebelling. But Aerea, secretly happy to see this incompetent piece of flowery filth to suffer, refused to order his vassals to stand down and even fired him from her council (arguing he cannot fulfill his role of Master of Whisperers while fighting the war).
Another dead person was princess Meria Martell, who died of Grey plague.
Her uncle, Beldecar Martell, inherited Dorne. Nobody believed he would live long, as he had cancer (not to mention he was married to woman from Summer Islands by matrilineal marriage, which worried many of his vassals).
During ninth month, news came from far east. City of Qarth was ravaged by plague, with many of its inhabitants dying on the streets. At the same time, pirates raided lands around King´s Landing, but Aerea destroyed them with ease.
Luckily, next year was finally not filled by people dying, but instead, good times came. Dragonstone started prospering and close to the end of the year, Aerea found out she was pregnant.
Year 62 AC brought new threat. Wilyam Baratheon was revealed to be plotting to kill Aerea and was quickly imprisoned. He chose trial by combat. Aerea chose her champion, Addison Hill, Lord Commander of Kingsguard.
Both men were fighting for only few minutes and in the end, Kingsguard was left without its commander.
13th day of sixth month of year 62 AC, Aerea Targaryen gave birth to a girl, who was named Elaena and was given dragon egg from Meleys into her crib.
Immediately after the birth, Aerea started to feel itchy and found rash on her body. It hasn´t disappeared for more than two months, but in the end, no illness came from it.
And then, at the end of eleventh month of year 62 AC, new lord of the Reach came to power.
Ironically, lord Mern still kept Brightwater, traditional seat of House Florent and became determined to win his continuing war against Dorne. Nevertheless, one of Seven Kingdoms changed its owner, to great joy of queen Aerea.
Last edited by DorlasAnther on Fri Dec 02, 2016 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by Mistefar » Fri Oct 21, 2016 16:25

If someone dies or something, you shoud make it a spoiler ya know, cuz if i go snoopin around i can see everything lol
Mistefar

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Fri Oct 21, 2016 16:58

Mistefar wrote:If someone dies or something, you shoud make it a spoiler ya know, cuz if i go snoopin around i can see everything lol

I was thinking about it (I did it previously, with imprisonment of Maegor), but there is just so much death in this chapter :D Besides, the most important people (Targaryens) died right in the beginning, so any spoilers readers see in pictures would be known to them in 1 minute.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Mon Oct 24, 2016 19:45

Chapter 11: Game of Thrones

As year 63 AC started, Aerea took her sister-in-law, Megga Manderly, as her ward. Only two weeks into new year, Aerea started coughing, but Grand Maester Desmond was able to treat her illness well. Yet more problems arose, as word came to Aerea someone was trying to kill her.
She found out that Robar Baratheon, heir to Storm´s End, was plotting something. With suspition he might have something to do with those who planned to murder her, she imprisoned him, but during trial, his innocence was proven. She grudgingly released him. Her relations with Baratheons were also hurt, as his father didn´t react well to news about his son´t imprisonment. Her spies told her he was trying to find allies and depose her, but nobody joined him.
Later that year, Goren Greyjoy died and his son inherited Iron Islands.
Close to the end of the year, Lyman Lannister died of old age and his younger son, Tyros, inherited Westerlands (his older brother was appointed to Kingsguard before).
Year 64 brought tragic news for Aerea. Her loyal husband, who was Master of Whisperers, was murdered while trying to uncover who was behind plot to kill her.
Lord Paramount of the Vale, Elbert Arryn, was given position of Master of Whisperers. He proved to be much better at his job, as mere two months later, he found out identity of plotters: Daemon Velaryon and Quentyn Terrick, husband of Alysanne Targaryen. They were both imprisoned and immediately called for trial.
Quentyn Terrick chose trial by combat, but nobody was willing to fight for him. Yet when Edwyn Reed questioned him during trial, he was so incompetent that judges chose to proclaim Quentyn innocent.
Yet, might makes right and Aerea ordered him executed.
Another trial was against Daemon Velaryon. Situation in this one was more tricky. Lord Daemon was old supporter of her father and even brother of her grandmother, who died while fighting for her son´s claim. He was loyal to Aegon and then Aerea for more than two decades.
Yet despite his reputation, when he called for champion, nobody chose to fight for him. Yet, even though incompetent Edwyn Reed was not present at the trial and case of her side was strong, judges deemed him innocent.
Grudgingly, knowing she cannot execute lord, she chose to release him, ordering him to return to Driftmark and never return to King´s Landing.
Death of her and Alysanne´s husbands brought question of Targaryen survival. They had to marry again, unless they wanted to see their line reduced to one person.
Aerea married Ronnel Connington, son of lord Connington at the start of 6th month of year 64.
End of the year brought change to Kingsguard. Lord Commander has died and Tygett Lannister was given title of Lord Commander (sorry, guys, he doesn´t have a sister).
At the start of the year 65, her coughing finally stopped.
During third month, almost a year after death of her second husband, Alysanne was wed to ser Aurion, one of few remaining true Valyrians in her court, who was now more than fifty years old.
Close to the end of fourth month, raven came from the Citadel: Winter was once again coming.
Arrival of winter brought problems. Winter fever started in Vale, afflicting almost entirety of it, forcing lord Arryn, who was at Eyrie at that time, to seclude himself with his court there.
During eleventh month, Aerea found out she was once again pregnant.
Year 66 came and despite her pregnancy, her studies of was progressed, making her more capable commander. And then, in the half of sixth month, she gave birth to a son. Boy was named Aegon, after his grandfather and immediately betrohed to his sister, according to Targaryen tradition.
Close to the end of the year, King´s Landing started prospering, its wounds from Targaryen civil war from twenty years ago finally healed.
Year 67 brought new set of plotters. Lord Bennard Farring was found spreading rumours about Aerea and lord Duram Massey and ser Tristifer Deddings were found plotting to kill her. Another plotter was commander of Gold Cloaks, Jacelyn, who was also imprisoned. Yet with her experiences with courts, she just chose to keep them imprisoned in Black Cells.
At the start of sixth month, message came from Iron Islands. House Goodbrother rose against house Greyjoy, trying to once again establish elective monarchy in Iron Islands. Aerea ordered him to stop his war, but he refused.
While realm held together, it seemed as if nobody respected her and her rule. Even members of her family turned on her and those who remained loyal were just painful to be with. Alysanne Targaryen thought her husband was cheating on her and became angry at Aerea for not listening to her.
Yet the peace lasted for the remainder of the year. Close to its end, it became clear that her daughter, now five years old, was showing signs of madness. Yet it was nothing severe and she let it go.
Last edited by DorlasAnther on Tue Oct 25, 2016 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Tue Oct 25, 2016 16:37

Chapter 12: Plot must go on!

At the beginning of second month of year 68, plans of lord Elbert Arryn fell into place. He forced lord Baratheon to stop his plotting and made him to publicly support Aerea, removing threat he possessed to the queen´s rule.
Soon after that, pirates once again tried to pillage villages around the capital, but were obliterated by army sent from the city.
During fifth month, message came from the North. Lord Ellard Stark died, clutching at his heart, leaving his two years old son to rule.

Seeing she couldn´t enforce her rule, Aerea chose to increase authority of the Crown by law, allowing her to proclaim vassals who wage was upon others as traitors. Yet despite her persuasion of councillors and her (mostly) just rule during last few years, they refused to sign it, effectively destroying any hope that other lords would accept the law.
Yet at least some good news came. Lord Daemon Velaryon finally died, leaving his 47 years old son Maelys to rule Driftmark.
As the year was coming to its end, Elaena Targaryen, now six years old, saw Aerea beating dog she found running around Red Keep. She started hitting her mother with a stick, causing her to turn to her and letting dog run away. It seemed Aerea created another enemy.
At the beginning of year 69, few more courtiers were found out plotting to kill Aerea and were immediately imprisoned. She chose to show the realm how plotters would end and decided to give trial to lord Massey (rigged trial, to be precise).
Lord Massey was found guilty and Aerea chose the most cruel death for him. He was fed to Dreamfyre.
Right after the trial, Aerea had to decide issue with North. As lord Stark was now child only three years old, he couldn´t be given title of Warden of the North. She chose to give it to Barre, commander of City Watch and one of her commanders, with promise to return the title to lord Stark when he becomes adult.
Winter fever still raged in the Vale and mouth of Trident, threathening to kill most of Vale´s men and women. Even north of Crackclaw Point was affected, causing some septons of King´s Landing to preach about death coming to the capital.
In the meantime, Aerea had another things in her mind. Even twenty years after Targaryen civil war, royal fleet still relied heavily on Velaryon ships, which worried Aerea. She ordered to spend gold from her full treasury, building new ships, including great flagship.
Winter was becoming worse and it finally reached King´s Landing. Yet people were still fed and with Winter fever stopping in Riverlands, they lived rest of the year in peace.
Close to the end of the year, Elaena´s egg hatched. Little girl, fascinated with stories of maesters, named him Ghiscar, after long lost empire.
With seclusion of lord Arryn in Eyrie, lords started plotting again. Lord Lannister was attempting to lower authority of the Crown, while lord Baratheon was once again seeking to overthrow her. Seeing they weren´t able to gain support of anyone, she let them to their games.
As lord Arryn was no longer able to do his job, she named her husband as Master of Whisperers in second month of year 70.
Few months later, after more than year of work, her fleet was finally ready. She named the flagship "Dragon".
After works on the fleet were finished, she seeked to strengthen fortifications of King´s Landing. During eight month, work started on Red Keep, with aim to renovate the castle.
Only two days later, Aurion, husband of Alysanne Targaryen, died.
As tenth month began, Aerea started feeling sick. She started sweating, feeling abdominal pain and even had a diarrhea. After some time, it became clear she had dysentery. Yet Grand Maester Clifford was able to provide good treatment and she was able to survive her illness without major problems.
At the beginning of fourth month of year 71, Elbert Arryn passed away from old age and his son, Albar, inherited the Vale.

Even though Arryns still remained in Eyrie, Winter fever was finally becoming weaker in areas of central Vale. Yet it erupted again, now in Seagard.
With new lord Arryn being disliked by Aerea (and also being openly hostile to her in his messages demanding to be named Warden of the East), she gave the title to ser Jaehaerys, one of her vassals from Dragonstone and also Master of Arms.
To make things worse, her reputation was hurt by her decisions. Yet even despite most of the realm disliking their queen, they all remained obedient, probably because of her dragons.
But even though her house owned flying beasts, there was not enough Targaryens to ride them. After almost year since her husband died, Alysanne was once again wed, now to Maekar, Valyrian knight, who became her fourth husband.
During eight month, North started marching to the south. It soon became clear lord Stark´s regent chose to take over the Vale for his lord. Lord Arryn pleaded Aerea to order him to stop, but she did nothing.
Close to the end of the year, her husband had an accident and ended up being disfigured.
Another year brought death of yet another Lord Paramount, now Clayton Florent. He died from severe stress, trying to rule Reach after winning it in the war. He left his one year old daughter to become Lady Paramount.

Because of her treatment towards House Arryn, Vale joined Stormlands in faction to depose her, but because of Albar Arryn´s war, they didn´t act.
Having to name Warden of the South, Aerea chose to also give this title to Barre, basically proclaiming the Crown will guard both North, South and East. Only Lannisters still held their traditional title.
During seventh month, Maester Osric Norrey was discovered plotting to kill Aerea and was immediately imprisoned.
Finally, during tenth month, lord Baratheon died at the age of 68. His oldest son inherited his title, immediately starting plots to kill his younger brothers, who were previously given titles in Stormlands and continuing with his father´s schemes to depose her.

During second month of year 73, he was joined by lord Arryn.
At the same time, war between Ironborn ended in victory for rebels and lord of Iron Islands was now elected title.
At the beginning of sixth month, works on Red Keep ended, increasing size of the castle.
And then, during eight month, she felt she was ready. Time has come to take back what belonged to House Targaryen and was taken from them by Free Cities. Time has come to reclaim Spicetown, now held by Braavos.

Don´t worry, war with Braavos over one town is not the event I described. It´s something of far bigger importance.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Wed Oct 26, 2016 21:57

Chapter 13: You're a heretic!

Braavosi war
Riverlands, Westerlands, Stormlands and Reach came to her aid, while Iron Islands, Vale and North (still occupied by their war) didn´t participate.
She immediately started gathering army from Crownlands. After six weeks, she had almost eight thousand troops, with other two thousands coming to King´s Landing. She decided to set sail for Braavos, on her new Royal Fleet.
Her first stop was Spicetown, which was taken on eight day of tenth month of year 73. She immediately departed, now going to meet Braavosi army in their land.
They landed south of Braavos at the beginnig of eleventh month, immediately meeting with Braavosi army twelve thousand strong. Yet after unleashing Dreamfyre and Silverwing on them, her troops were able to prevail against Braavosi.
She besieged Braavos, unleashing Dreamfyre on the city. Yet during the attack, bolt from scorpion hit her dragon, causing it to fall. Luckily, she survived, but Dreamfyre was maimed and unable to fly. Only few days after that, Alysanne flew Silverwing over the city, destroying their defences and killing almost every defender on the walls. Braavos belonged to Targaryens.
On twelfth day of twelfth month, peace was signed. Aerea took back Spicetown, giving it immediately back to house Velaryon. She also increased her understanding of the war, becoming commander respected by whole realm (4th level of Martial skill).

Her army started its sail back to Westeros. Luckily, Dreamfyre was able to partially heal its wound and while she still wasn´t at full fighting strength, she was able to fly to King´s Landing.
At the start of next year, message came from Oldtown. Winter was coming to its end. Dreamfyre was also healing extremely quickly, returning to full strength. Some people started saying her dragon was unkillable, as she was able to overcome maiming twice.
During fifth month, lord Arryn once again pleaded her to order lord Stark to stand down. Now, her advisers were able to persuade her to do it. Lord Stark´s council accepted and the war between North and the Vale was now over.
Close to the end of the year, Aerea was informed that two of her courtiers married without her consent. Furious, she imprisoned them both and just out of curiosity, chose to mutiliate them. Interestingly, she found pleasure in torture, but word got out and some people now looked at her in strange way.
Next year came and Aerea was told that lady Corenna Stokeworth was plotting to kill her. She ordered to imprison her, but men she sent were killed by Stokeworths, who now raised their flags in rebellion. Lady Corenna apparently thought other lords will come, but nobody cared.
Aerea gathered troops from King´s Landing and met Stokeworth host close to Hayford.
After the victorious battle, she besieged Stokeworth, attacking the castle with Dreamfyre (which was wounded in the process). She imprisoned every Stokeworth she found in the castle and forced lady Corenna, who was still in the field, to surrender.
Stokeworth was revoked and given to the Crown. Lady Corenna was also mutiliated by Aerea after that.
During fifth month, she ordered to start another tourney for whole realm. Reason for this was simple: birth of Alysanne´s child. Her aunt was now in eigth month of pregnancy and everyone hoped she will now finally give birth to living child.
Eigth day of sixth month, Gaemon Targaryen was born.

As the feast and tourney started, issues were brought before her. While many were minor ones, there were also important things to take care of. Barre, commander of Gold Cloaks, was now dead and she had to name wardens. First was Warden of the North, title usually held by Starks. Lord Stark was still child, so she chose to use this title to appease one of her vassals: lord Robar Baratheon. As he was an old man, Aerea believed he will die in few years, allowing lord Stark to be given his traditional title.
Tourney ended, with member of Warrior´s Sons, old Lann Garner, to be proclaimed winner. Yet more people talked about screams coming from depths of Red Keep, where, according to words of servants, queen Aerea was „having fun“ with Igon Stokeworth.
Yet the true winner of this glorious event was Robar Baratheon. Not only was he named Warden of the North, but also Warden of the South, instead of young lady Florent.
Year 76 came and with it message from Oldtown. Yet now, it wasn´t from the Citadel, but from High Septon.
Naturally, Aerea refused and was therefore excomunicated by His Holliness. In fourth month, people started whispering rumours about cruel queen, some calling her Aerea the Cruel. Her reputation was damaged beyond repair.
During fifth month, message came from the Wall. After forty years of his command, Lord Commander Petyr Arryn died at the age of 64.

At the end of sixth month, High Septon died (unfortunately not by Aerea´s hand), but his successor wasn´t willing to lift her excomunication.
As a result, faction to depose her was once again formed. Surprisingly, it was lead by lord Greyjoy and supported by Tullys and Rosbys.
At least some good news came, though. Her daughter was able to master Ghiscar, now riding the dragon to battle.
Rest of the year was time of peace, yet many lords were being more and more disobedient. Lord Lannister, her Master of Ships, suggested she might step down willingly and subject herself to the Faith, showing she is willing to sacrifice herself for the good of the realm. He was fired from the council immediately and replaced by his older brother.
During fourth month, Dreamfyre´s wounds were completely healed and at the end of the month, she named her husband to be designated regent, in case something happens to her and her son will have to rule.
In sixth month, it became clear she was once again pregnant. Yet the realm came closer and closer to war. Lords Lannister and Baratheon joined faction against her, just like new High Septon. And then, on eleventh day of seventh month, she received a message.

She refused and only few days later, she got another one. The war has started.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Tue Nov 01, 2016 19:18

Overview - 77 AC
Basic information about Westeros in the half of seventh month of year 77 After Conquest.

Wars

Great rebellion
Balon Greyjoy leads rebellion against queen Aerea Targaryen with goal to depose her. He is supported by houses Baratheon, Lannister, Tully and Rosby. On their side also stands the Faith Militant. Aerea Targaryen has loyalty of Crownlander lords and house Florent. Lord Arryn chose to widthraw from the war, but his uncle, Jon Arryn, lord of Fingers, chose to support Aerea. Starks also chose to not participate in the war, but he allowed her to recruit troops in his lands. North also had its share of lords loyal to Aerea, nominally Wendel Flint, lord of Flint´s Finger and Howd Crowl, lord of northern Skagos.
Overall, rebel forces outnumber loyalist forces. Loyalists have aproximately 40 thousand troops, while rebels have 105 thousand troops at their disposal.

Dornish civil war
At the time of start of Great rebellion, Dornish have already been in war for some time. Prince Nymor is fighting against Yronwoods, Fowler´s and Blackmonts, who want to press claim of his brother, Alleras. He is currently losing the war.

Dragons

Currently, there are five dragons alive. Biggest of them is Vermithor. He doesn´t have a rider and is currently on Dragonstone. Another riderless dragon is Fusrodax, his child. This dragon is in Dragonpit, waiting for some Targaryen brave enough to tame him. Other three dragons have riders.
Silverwing is ridden by Alysanne Targaryen and is the biggest of Targaryen dragons with rider. Dreamfyre is ridden by Aerea Targaryen. While both are of equal age as Vermithor, they are much smaller than he is. Last of Targaryen dragons is young dragon Ghiscar, spawn of Meleys. He is ridden by Elaena Targaryen.
Rebels currently don´t have any dragonrider at their side.

Important houses

Loyalists
These are Targaryens and major houses outside of Crownlands that decided to support them. Minor lords (note: counts) are not listed, as number of their troops is too small to actually influence the war in significant way.

House Targaryen
Current rulers of Westeros, lead by queen Aerea Targaryen.

House Florent
Ruling house of Reach, lead by Alianne Florent. This house is in interesting position. Her father died while his wife was pregnant, causing Alianne to inherit. Few months later, she gave birth to twin sons. Therefore, for the first time in history of unified Westeros, daughter of previous lord paramount rules over his land despite there being two legitimate sons.

House Flint of Flint´s Finger
Ruled by Wendel Flint, this minor northern house declared for Aerea.

House Arryn of The Fingers
Lead by Jon Arryn, this house declared for Aerea despite inactivity of main branch of House Arryn.

Rebels
These are traitorous lords who chose to depose their rightful queen. It should also be noted that among rebels is also High Septon and Faith Militant with their 13000 troops currently located in Oldtown.

House Greyjoy
Lead by Balon Greyjoy, this house leads rebellion against queen Aerea´s rule. Their hold over their territory is also the most fragile, because of elective succession, although currently, it seems brothers of lord Balon secure Greyjoy line.

House Lannister
Lead by Tyros Lannister, this house probably is the most conflicted of all participants. Older brother of lord Tyros is Lord Commander of Kingsguard and seems to be completely loyal to his queen. Lannisters are also the strongest of rebel houses, commanding one third of rebel troops.

House Tully
Lead by Athos Tully, they are second behind Lannisters in terms of power. Their land also holds strategic value, as it separates Crownlands from their northern allies.

House Baratheon
Lead by old Robar Baratheon, famous for plots to murder his brothers and responsible for death of two of them.

House Rosby
Probably the greatest controversy (and stupidity, according to some people at queen´s court) is participation of Rosbys in this war on side of rebels. Lord Maric Rosby is current head of this house, whose lands are located just north of queen´s personal domain.

Neutral houses
For various reasons, these major houses chose to widthraw from the war or offer just minimal support.

House Stark
Lead by young Cayn Stark, this house chose to partially support Aerea. Targaryens are allowed to recruit troops in the North and will be provided with certain amount of levies, but neither Stark vassals or Starks themselves will participate in the war personally.

House Arryn of Eyrie
Lead by Albar Arryn, they chose to not participate in the war.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Wed Nov 02, 2016 16:00

Chapter 14: The rebellion

From "Reign of the Young Dragon" by Maester Willas
Ravens were sent to every lord in Crownlands and to Dragonstone. Aerea knew she had to act quickly. Help from Reach would most likely come after forces from Stormlands, Riverlands and maybe even Westerlands and Iron Islands.
She sat long with her council and debated course of action. They all agreed upon one thing: Dragons were their only advantage. They had to use them as much as possible. This was complicated by Aerea´s pregnancy, but as she pointed out, it would take few more months before she is unable to ride Dreamfyre. And even then, sometimes even seeing dragon standing close to the battlefield can cause huge damage to enemy morale. Not to mention they still had Alysanne and Silverwing and Elaena and Ghiscar. But to the surprise of the council, Aerea said her daughter will not take part in the war, out of fear of changing sides. Councillors and princess Alysanne tried to persuade her, but she was adamant. Instead, Elaena would stay in Red Keep, ready to carry her brother away on Ghiscar if city falls.
Aerea chose to personally lead five thousand men from King´s Landing and move to destroy force of House Rosby. She was accompanied by Alysanne. They also gathered five hundred more in Stokeworth and went to Rosby. Yet after arriving there, they got message from Duskendale. One of their vassal armies was intercepted by Rosbys and scattered. They immediately moved north, meeting their enemies just as they were laying trap to another of their small armies.
Even though they had numerical advantage, Aerea wanted to punish Rosbys for this betrayal and unleashed Dreamfyre on her enemies. Lord Maric Rosby was burned by her dragon and his army routed. Loyalists won their first battle.
Right after the battle, Alysanne Targaryen was called to queen´s tent. Nobody knew, what they said to each other, but when she finally came out, she grabbed some supplies and left on Silverwing. Aerea said to her commanders she sent Alysanne to the North, to gather more men for their war. Her army was to move to Rosby, to take the castle.
When they came, there was no siege. Aerea unleashed Dreamfyre on the castle, killing every defending soldier. Her army took Rosby without losing single man.
In the meantime, Tygett Lannister, Lord Commander of Kingsguard, returned from the east with seven thousand mercenaries, announcing that more will come soon. Windblown, Stormcrows, Company of the Rose and Iron Shields were all hired, using gold from overflowing treasury. And then, after fourth month of the war began, more than two thousand men from King´s Landing and surrounding lands chose to join her army and were being trained by Tygett Lannister. This increased numbers of her army in Crownlands to twenty thousand.
In the North, Alysanne was able to gather six thousand men and was now marching from Winterfell to the south. But at that time, rebels were finally spotted in Crownlands. Ten thousand Tully men besieged Stokeworth. Aerea chose to meet them, despite her being at the start of eight month of pregnancy. Her advisors and commanders urged her to stay in the capital, but she refused. Riding in carriage with Dreamfyre flying over her army, she departed with all her men to meet Tullys.
The battle ended with victory, with enemies routing even from looking at black dragon on small hill behind Targaryen army. Despite this victory, armies of all rebelling lords were now in Crownlands. Greyjoys landed close to Duskendale, Lannisters were moving around Hayford and another Tully army accompanied by Baratheons besieged King´s Landing. While the city was supplied well by Reach and had strong garrison, they couldn´t survive for months. Aerea´s army had to return home.

First siege of King´s Landing
When Targaryen army arrived, they saw the city under siege by twentyfive thousand troops. To relieve capital from the siege, they attacked from the north, close to Dragon Gate. Lord Robar Baratheon sent most of her army after her. Seeing no other option, she chose to ride Dreamfyre. Her soldiers had to help her climb her dragon. She flew to the sky and attacked center of Baratheon army. Soldiers say that Dreamfyre was fighting more fiercely than ever before, almost landing in the middle of her enemies few times. Singers, common folk and ordinary soldiers would try to make us believe it was because she was trying to defend her beloved rider and get rid of evil rebels, but we maesters know that´s not true. Dragons are predators and Dreamfyre probably saw Baratheons and Tullys as prey. This time, Aerea was simply too weak to controll her completely. But in the end, unleashing her dragon on the army worked. Lord Robar was among the wounded and many rebel soldiers died. Yet as her raid on them ended, Lannister army, ten thousand strong, arrived to help with the siege. With no chance to win against so many, her army retreated to the city.
The siege lasted for two weeks, with Aerea now bedridden and close to giving birth. Yet as year 78 AC began, after heavy losses, rebels had to abandon the siege. Thirteen thousand of her men survived the battle.

But despite this victory, things looked grim for loyalists. Aerea was unable to ride Dreamfyre and enemies had seventy thousand men in Crownlands. And after hearing about state of the war, Starks chose to abandon her, widthrawing their support. At least another group of mercenaries of Lord Commander Tygett showed up, landing in Bramsfort (because of awful situation in King´s Landing docks, they couldn´t land there), numbering fortyfive hundred. But before they could reach the capital, another army came.

Second siege of King´s Landing
Eleven thousand of Lannister troops and eleven thousand of Greyjoy soldiers arrived to the capital at the same time, besieging it on thirteenth day of first month, only eleven days after first army broke off their attack.
Screams were heard on the walls and screams were heard in Red Keep, because at the same time, Aerea Targaryen gave birth to a son. She named the boy Maegon.
After short rest, she returned to commanding her armies. Once again, she climbed Dreamfyre and unleashed her dragon on soldiers that were breaching Lion Gate. She burned two thousand of them, but in the process she also burned small portion of the city. Lion Gate was defended, but siege continued.
In retrospective, we can see it was during this siege, when things turned around. Few days after battle at Lion Gate, message came from Oldtown. High Septon died and his successor was not so willing to fight against Aerea. Faith Militant widthrew from the war before contributing to it. And Florent army numbering fifteen thousand men was in Byford, moving to help the capital. To add to rebel´s misfortune, lord Robar Baratheon, so focused on his brothers, caused his brother Pariac, to rebel.
On twentyfourth day of first month, Greyjoys and Lannisters broke off their siege. King´s Landing was saved.

People were cheering as Florent army was going through the capital two weeks later and queen Aerea Targaryen welcomed them. With south of Crownlands safe due to Stormlander civil war, they could turn all attention to northern rebels. Targaryens moved to the west along right bank of Blackwater, while Florents moved on the left and met their smaller army in Byford. Aerea moved to Mosborough, that has been occupied by Lannisters and took the castle back. Then she got message from Florents, who were moving to attack Greyjoy army, thirteen thousand strong, in Rayonet.
Florents engaged Greyjoys and were soon supported by Aerea and her forces. The battle was great victory. Loyalists lost only one thousand troops, while Greyjoys lost almost twelve thousand. But as they were celebrating, their scouts reported reformed Tully, Rosby and Lannister armies on the southern bank of God´s Eye, equal to loyalists in size. At the same time, though, Aerea got message from Alysanne, who was moving along the Green Fork with six thousand Northerners. Aerea ordered her to besiege Harrenhal and wait for her there. She started marching her seventeen thousand men north, pursuing enemy force twice as big.
During sixth month, as she was leaving Crownlands, King´s Landing was besieged by Lannisters. Yet she continued to Riverlands, trusting Florents, who were moving to the capital, to defeat smaller Lannister force with the help of defenders of the city.
We have not touched upon topic of command during this war and it is proper to do so now, so reader can understand rebel and loyalist decisions during the war. Chain of command on loyalist side was clear. Aerea Targaryen was not only the queen, but she was also accomplished and competent commander, proving her worth in war with Braavos. She was respected and feared by her troops, who have seen her burning hundreds and thousands of men during multiple battles with her dragon. Even Florent army, while often fighting by itself, was aware of chain of command. Aerea was the queen, they were fighting for her.
But rebels had different mindset. Besides Rosbys, all of them were Lords Paramount, equal to each other. Greyjoys were leaders of the rebellion, but it wasn´t rebellion to press their claim, but to depose Aerea. In the field, there was no commander who lead forces of every rebelling „kingdom“. Because of this, mistakes were made and armies from different lands often split during their march, allowing loyalists to fight more equal battles. Not to mention that because of huge size of Lannister and Tully forces, they often split their army and moved each through different areas, to reduce attrition from lack of supplies, once again allowing loyalists to pick them off one by one. This was the case during sieges of King´s Landing, where first siege was broken off less than two weeks before reinforcements came. They also took victory for granted, causing them to not focus as much effort on the war as they should. Example of this is lord Robar Baratheon choosing to risk rebellion of his brother and when he actually rebelled, widthrawing his troops from Crownlands.
Great example of this was split between main Tully force and remnants of Lannister and Grejoy armies supported by Tullys during fifth month, where Tullys chose to besiege keeps in northern Crownlands and the rest of rebel force retreated to Riverlands to reorganize. Then, when this mix of armies met with Aerea´s smaller force, they were obliterated by Targaryens, losing six thousand men, either to Dreamfyre or her troops, opening the road between Aerea´s and Alysanne´s armies, which were able to meet during seventh month.
At the same time, as was said earlier, King´s Landing was besieged by Lannister army numbering fourteen thousand men, force too small to take the city and defend against army from the Reach, which defeated them during seventh month.
During eight month, Targaryens met with Tully host, unleashing Dreamfyre and Silverwing on them. They won and Alysanne was sent to lay siege to Riverrun with ten thousand men, while Aerea returned to King´s Landing.
It was at this time, when she received message from her husband, who was Master of Whisperers. Apparently, lord Maelys Velaryon was plotting to murder her, just like his father before him. She immediately ordered him arrested, which caused lord Velaryon to rebel against her.

Rebellion of Driftmark
Facing second (but extremely small rebellion), she rushed back to the capital. On the way, she got another message, now from the Vale. Probably seeking to redeem himself in his queen´s eyes (and most likely seeing rebels will loose), lord Albar Arryn declared for her and started raising army to help her.
Yet, according to testimony of some people from court, she was focused on Maelys Velaryon, whose army besieged Dragonstone. It seems logical, as her Velaryon grandmother was rider of Caraxes and she might have feared that one of Velaryons would try to tame Vermithor. She sailed from King´s Landing in tenth month and week later defeated Velaryons, burning most of their men and ships with Dreamfyre. She separated two thousand men to besiege Driftmark and returned back to King´s Landing. Month later, after another battle, lord Maelys was willing to surrender. Queen revoked Driftmark from him and left him in black cells. His son with family was kept as a hostage in Red Keep and she gave Driftmark to Symeon Velaryon, brother of Maelys.

While Aerea Targaryen was occupied with Velaryons, Great rebellion was switching more and more to her favor. Even new High Septon, who succeeded previous one half a year ago after he died only three months after being elected into the office, joined her, providing another thirteen thousand men to her cause. Alysanne and her army besieged Riverrun and the only army strong enough to pose any threat in Crownlands was combined Tully and Greyjoy force trying to take back Rosby. Queen Aerea chose to destroy them and while commanding smaller army, with help of her dragon, she prevailed.
At the same time, Riverrun fell and Alysanne Targaryen was able to imprison many Tullys, including heir to Trident.
At the end of year 78 AC, it was clear who will be winner of this war. While ten thousand Tully men still threathened eastern parts of Crownlands, Aerea disposed of them with help at the beginning of third month. Desperate situation of rebels could be best shown by the fact that less than four thousand Florent men was even able to besiege Lordsport.
With Greyjoys obliterated, Baratheons fighting their own civil war, Riverrun conquered and Westerlands ravaged by Grey plague, Aerea chose to leave command to her lords and returned to King´s Landing. Royal army together with Arryns destroyed remaining Tully army in Antlers at the end of fourth month.
King´s Landing was now safe, with no rebel army strong enough to prove any threat to it, but Targaryens were met with new struggle: bloody flux. Crownlands and especially parts around King´s Landing were witness to most of the fighting and infections spread through the city. Soon, all lands around it were suffering under this disease. Aerea chose to close gates to Red Keep, so nobody becomes infected.
Last months of the war were filled with desperate attempts by rebels to conquer castles in Crownlands, but there were simply not enough soldiers. Great houses also suffered, Lannisters in confinement of Casterly Rock, where they were hiding from Grey plague and Tullys from death of lord Athos´ heir, who died while being inprisoned in royal dungeons. Still, they were not giving upr, probably hoping that Baratheons, the only rebelling house that hasn´t had its army crushed, will form army that will take King´s Landing.
In second month of year 80 AC, time has finally come. Stormlander civil war was close to its end and fortyfive hundred Lannister men marched from Stormlands, followed by nine thousand Baratheon troops. Yet once again, armies split, with Lannisters running away to the west after hearing royal army marches from King´s Landing to meet them. Baratheons also made mistake and their rear guard was intercepted by royal army, completely destroying it. Lord Baratheon showed no will to continue fighting for lost cause and Balon Greyjoy was forced to surrender to the queen. Twentyfourth day of fourth month of year 80, Great rebellion was over.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Thu Nov 03, 2016 16:47

Part 15: A Feast for Crows

Despite what would maesters later say, the war was far from over. Maybe if some other, more merciful ruler sat the Iron Throne, that would be the case, but Aerea wanted to punish everyone who stood against her. Iron Islands were revoked from Balon Greyjoy, just like his seat of Pyke. Immediately after that, Aerea fed him to Dreamfyre.
She ordered lords Lannister, Baratheon, Tully and Rosby to come to King´s Landing. Knowing they would suffer the same fate as Balon Greyjoy, Lannisters, Tullys and Baratheons rebelled. Lord Tully also proclaimed himself King of Trident and lord Baratheon was crowned Storm King. Only Maric Rosby surrendered immediately. Rosby was revoked from him, but he was kept in the dungeons instead of being executed. She gave Rosby lands to Whalen Edgerton, one of Maric´s former vassals.
Another titles that needed to be given were former Greyjoy lands in Iron Islands. In Aerea´s mind, Greyjoys were those responsible for this rebellion. She never gave them any reason to fight her, but they rebelled anyway. Seeing that benevolent stance toward Iron Islanders apparently wasn´t working, she chose to give Greyjoy titles to someone outside the Iron Islands. Someone, who would be loyal to her. After long talks, younger brother of lord Celtigar, Qoherys, was chosen for this position.

With war changing towards multiple rebellions, she once again called for support of her vassals. Starks once again chose to not participate, but Florents, Arryns and lord Qoherys agreed to help her. Yet their armies were depleted and needed some time to reorganize before they could fight again. It fell to her mercenary army to fight in next months, but with state of rebel armies, this wasn´t a problem.
Her army moved south, to meet with Baratheon host, but she didn´t accompany them. She chose to stay in King´s Landing, enforcing peace in the city plagued with Blood flux. At least some good news came. Fusrodax has laid an egg, which Elaena kept for her future children with her brother.
Targaryen army met with Baratheons close to Griffin´s Roost. Battle was victorious and after it was over, body of Storm King Robar Baratheon was found surrounded by his guards. His young son succeeded him.
Yet Targaryens didn´t have enough men for siege of Storm´s End and had to return to Crownlands, where newly formed Lannister army was attacking from the west. With Grey plague disappearing from Westerlands, Lannisters now posed greatest threat to Targaryens.
During eight month, Aerea started having awful headaches and later she started vomiting. Grand Maester Clifford thought she had flu and his efforts helped her. Yet during tenth month, she started coughing and some people were whispering about poison in her food. Her husband and Master of Whisperers dismissed these rumors, stating his wife was simply sick.
Close to the end of tenth month, messenger from Pentos came. They declared war on her, demanding city of Hull on Driftmark.
This had one good effect, though. Seeing she was defending against foreigners, lord Cayn Stark, now fifteen years old and therefore old enough to participate in governing of the North, chose to finally come to the aid of his queen.
At the end of eleventh month, it became clear Aerea had serious case of flu. Still, she did what she could to govern her realm, although participation in battles was not possible. Treatment also didn´t help, in fact, it probably made everything worse.
When year 81 AC came, Crownlands were probably in the worst state ever. Ravaged by epidemics, many villages and towns were depopulated and Lannister army, thirteen thousand strong, took Mosborough and Byford. At the end of first month, Targaryen army, almost seventeen thousand strong, met with Lannisters and small army of Tully forces close to Chittering Brook. For the first time in this war, royal army was defeated, losing more than five thousand men to enemy´s less than two thousand.
They retreated to the east, plannig to regroup in Rosby. Aerea wanted to go there and take command even despite her illness, but two weeks later, it became clear she wouldn´t go anywhere.

While she lead army when she was pregnant with Maegon, her council, husband and family all told her she had to stay in Red Keep and recover. Eventually, she agreed and it was decided that Alysanne will take command over their army instead of her.
But when her army finally reached Rosby, they fell into trap set up by Pentoshi. Their army, more than eleven thousand strong, landed close to Rosby and ambushed her forces.
Her army was scattered before Alysanne could even fly from Red Keep. Various groops of soldiers were seen moving past King´s Landing. Luckily, they lost only about two thousand men, as commanders were now less willing to fight against more prepared enemy. Alysanne was sent after them, to regroup them and strike back at Pentoshi.
In the meantime, her son, Aegon, went to Dragonpit and tamed dragon Fusrodax.

Only four days later, she started feeling chest pains. Together with her flu and pregnancy, this caused her to be confined in her chambers. At least Alysanne reported she was able to restore her army and was marching to the north. She stopped in King´s Landing close to the end of fifth month, meeting with her son, niece and her children.
Aerea was slowly losing her fight with illness. Two weeks after Alysanne left, she started shivering and was now bedridden. Her sons and cousin spent time with her and sometimes even Elaena came. Yet her health was still worsening and Grand Maester told Aegon she didn´t have much time.
Four days later, thirteenth day of sixth month of year 81 AC, Aerea Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lady of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, died in sleep, succumbing to her illness.

From "Reign of the Young Dragon" by Maester Willas
In the end, "Aerea „the Young Dragon" stood true to her name, dying at the age of 39. While being daughter of Aegon "the King Who Never Was", many considered her to be true heir of Maegor Targaryen. It was in hands of her son, who turned fifteen on the same day his mother died, to finish the war and to heal the wounds caused by her.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Fri Nov 04, 2016 13:39

Chapter 16: Change of politics

From "Heirs of the Conqueror" by Archmaester Brandon
Because Aegon succeeded his mother in the middle of the war, few chroniclers choose to even mention argument about regnal number of new king, preferring to describe the war instead. Yet it is important piece of their history, just like rebellions of Lannisters, Tullys and Baratheons.
After Aerea Targaryen died and preparations were being made for the new king, Grand Maester Clifford asked, if he should be called Aegon II. or Aegon III. This caused debate between members of the council, king and his wife. At the time of Targaryen civil war, there were two claimants to the throne, Aegon, son of Aenys and his uncle Maegor. While Aegon was rightful king according to the law of primogeniture, Maegor was considered to be Lord of the Seven Kingdoms at the time of war by all lords, which was later shown when they supported him against Aerea. It was basically discussion about whether law of inheritance is more important than will of lords of the realm. Surprisingly, Aegon chose to be called Aegon II. Some said the young king chose this option, because he wanted to show lords he, unlike his mother, cared about their opinion, but we will most likely never find out the truth. Yet, Aegon Targaryen is still mentioned when describing line of kings, but is not given any regnal number and is often called „the King Who Never Was“. Because of this, reign of Aerea Targaryen is also divided into two parts, first when she is called simply Aerea Targaryen and second, after Maegor I. was imprisoned and executed, when she is called Aerea I.

(This is basically my attempt to explain why Aegon is called II., not III. Because of how CK2 works, Aegon is not considered to be king of Iron Throne and neither is Aerea until the end of war, when Maegor was imprisoned, despite "rebels" actually winning. Imagine if Rhaenyra won, but after her son Aegon became a king, he would say Rhaenyra wasn´t true queen, but Aegon was, so he chose name Aegon III. So I went with this explanation, even though it really makes no sense for Aegon to say "hey, my grandfather who sat on the Iron Throne and fought against usurper Maegor was not true king, but instead Maegor was")

Aegon II. was crowned and his father, Ronnel Connington, was named regent until young king comes of age. Yet everyone knew they both were ruling the realm together, as young king was proving to be competent ruler with good sense for court intrigue. He also started training as a squire under his father.
Queen Aerea was burned in small ceremony for Targaryen family, which was also attended by Alysanne Targaryen, who defeated Pentoshi army in Rosby. Dreamfyre, which was not in the Dragonpit at that time, but instead in Red Keep, flew to Dragonstone.
While in the city, Alysanne gave her son dragon egg from Silverwing as a gift to his sixth name day. After the funeral, she took command over the army and marched to Hayford, where Lannister army was besieging the castle. She won and set to liberate captured castles.
At the same time, lord Whalen Edgerton was caught plotting to buy loyalty of Red Keep´s guards and was imprisoned by the regent.
During tenth month, remnants of Pentoshi army were caught by Alysanne and defeated. Moving to southern bank of Blackwater Rush, she also engaged regrouped Lannister army and defeated it.
Aegon proved to be different from his mother when dealing with Pentoshi. While Aerea would most likely launch campaign to destroy Pentos for this attack, Aegon chose more delicate approach. He offered them peace with no reprecautions, which they accepted.
In second month of year 82, last castle in Crownlands was freed from Lannister occupation and royal army, now numbering only seventyfive hundred men was ready to strike into Westerlands. Reinforcing few hundred men, they marched on Casterly Rock, meeting with Lannister army one third of their size at Golden Tooth, crushing it completely.
Thirteenth day of sixth month of year 82 AC, exactly one year after death of queen Aerea, regency of Ronnel Connington ended. While everyone expected young king to stay at court, he choosed otherwise. He gave Dark Sister to his wife and they both flew on their dragons to the west, where they joined Alysanne and her army. Small Council was left to govern King´s Landing, which was finally free of epidemic.
At the end of sixth month, High Septon chose to aid new king in his wars and only week later, lord Tully sent message to King´s Landing, offering his surrender. Everyone was eagerly awaiting letter with orders from the king. What would he do with this traitor?
Yet Aegon proved to be more diplomatic and forgiving than his mother. Lord Tully had to forfeit his title of Lord Paramount of Trident and stay in prison until the trial, but his house was at least for now allowed to keep Riverrun. Meanwhile, Aegon was preparing to strike against Casterly Rock, the only castle thought to be strong enough to withstand dragonfire. Even though this was partially true, many of Lannister men still burned and their morale was crushed. They surrendered the castle after only two weeks of siege. Two months later, after few small skirmishes, lord Tyrek Lannister surrendered. This left young Storm King to be the only lord still opposing the king.
As he was marching to the east, he was asked to hand Westerlands to lady Alysanne Prester, which he refused, claiming he won´t give Westerlands to lady married to Riverlander lord (in this case, member of younger branch of Mallisters). But when two months later, at the end of first month of year 83 AC, he was given the same request from lord Damion Sarsfield, he accepted.

As he was finally in Kingswood, his wife announced to him she was pregnant. While he was happy, his paranoid nature didn´t allow him to sleep. He hired men to find out if she didn´t have an affair with someone from their army, but they were not able to uncover anything. Luckily, Elaena didn´t notice any of them.

At the end of fourth month, message came from King´s Landing. Lord Commander Tygett Lannister died of depression at the age of 48. His successor was young Ned Mallister, which caused small controversy, as he was the newest member of Kingsguard (but also coming from the most powerful house, as some men heard from the king).

Arriving to Storm´s End at the beginning of fith month, Aegon, Elaena and Alysanne released their dragons on the castle with same results as in Casterly Rock. Two months later, the castle surrendered and with it also young Storm King.
Great rebellion was now finally over, lasting for more than six years. Hundreds of thousands men, women and children died either because of fighting itself of various epidemics that plagued the ravaged land. King´s Landing was heavily damaged by dragonfire and Casterly Rock, Storm´s End and Rosby were permanently marked by Targaryen dragons that were let loose on them.
Yet there were still things that needed to be done. Rebel leaders, imprisoned in Red Keep´s dungeons were to stand before trial and king had to decide, if Stormlands will be revoked from Baratheons and who will be new Lord Paramount of Trident. Time of dragon´s judgement has come.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Sun Nov 13, 2016 15:51

Chapter 17: Greyjoy rebellion

Two main questions arose after the war ended: What will happen with Baratheons and who will get Riverlands? Aegon chose to give lordship over Trident to Lucan Piper, the most powerful of Riverlander lords who supported Targaryens when Tullys declared independence.

With Baratheons, king showed mercy. He told to his council that just like he cannot be blamed for injustice of his mother, Tommen Baratheon, ten years old boy, cannot be blamed for rebellion of his father. He was allowed to keep Stormlands.

In Dorne, rebellion was succesful and Alleras Martell became prince of Dorne. He faced some minor rebellions, but was able to hold to his title.

Fighting still continued on Iron Islands, where Qoherys Celtigar fought against Ironborn uprising and was about to lose.
After discussion with his council, Aegon chose to not support him and instead let Ironborn to choose their own ruler. This was partially because he had more pressing issues to solve: trials of rebels.
First was Athos Tully, who chose trial by combat. Yet after month of trying to persuade someone to fight for him, he was unable to find champion. Therefore, he had to undergo standard trial. He was deemed guilty and Aegon sent him to the Wall, leaving Riverrun to his daughter.
Another noble who stood before the court was Whalen Edgerton, lord of Rosby, who plotted against Targaryens after they gave him the castle. He was also deemed guilty and sent to the Wall.
The last one was Tyros Lannister, lord of Casterly Rock, who, just like lord Tully, chose trial by combat. Lord Urston Corbray chose to fight for him, something that surprised everyone at the court. Aegon chose Lucas Westbrook, member of his Kingsguard.
Lord Corbray was defeated (yet not killed) and lord Tyros was, just like others, sent to the Wall. With no heir of his own, he was suceeded by Preston Lydden.

(So, funny thing. I was trying to find connection between those houses and it seems that because of mod´s shortcuts in history (when we don´t know names of kings, there is simply „line of XYZ“), house Lydden that married to daughter of some Lannister king hundreds of years ago was their closest relative :D )

At the beginning of tenth month, Aegon was anointed as a knight.
Less than two weeks later, his wife gave birth to a girl, who was named Gael.

Yet the joy of her birth turned to fear, as the little girl was sickly. Grand Maester Clifford tried to help her, but he was unable to do anything . It was now in hands of gods to help Aegon´s heir.
War finally ended on Iron Islands and Urek Greyjoy, brother of former lord, became Iron King. Islands chose to become independent from Iron Throne, something Aegon couldn´t tolerate.

Greyjoy rebellion
Despite independence of Iron Islands, Roryn Orkwood, lord of Orkmont, chose to remain loyal, just like people of Lordsport. Aegon declared war on king Urek and was supported by High Septon, Arryns, Starks and Pipers. Lord Sarsfield was occupied with civil war in Westerlands and Florents failed to answer Aegon´s call.
During this time, youngest member of Kingsguard was appointed. Roland Crakehall, only fourteen years old, was given this prestigious title (yet some doubted king´s sanity, as his fighting ability wasn´t anything amazing and this decision angered his father).
Being at Red Keep, Iron King´s brother, Qhorwyn, was imprisoned.
Throughout end of eleventh month and twelfth month of year 38, Aegon was gathering army in Crownlands. He sent seven thousand men lead by Alysanne to Iron Islands, to capture Pyke. They arrived at the beginning of fifth month and besieged Pyke. In the meantime, army of Ironborn, almost ten thousand strong, landed on Crackclaw Point. Aegon took command over small army of fifteen hundred men and went to face them.
At the beginning of seventh month, united army of Iron Throne and Vale took Pyke and continued their campaign in the west.
Aegon met with Ironborn at the beginning of ninth month. His army was much smaller, yet they had dragons. Both Aegon and Elaena descended from the sky and burned more than thousand of Ironborn, while losing less than hundred men. Remaining soldiers ran away, boarding their ships. Fearful of losing their dragons to scorpions on ships, they chose not to pursue them on Fusrodax and Ghiscar.
Close to the end of year 84, Florents joined Targaryens in their war. With threat to Crownlands destroyed, only fighting took place on Iron Islands. Royal army destroyed remnants of Greyjoy forces during second month of year 85 and even captured Harren Goodbrother, lord of Great Wyk, man who put Greyjoys back on the throne. Multiple victories followed and it was only a question of time before Iron Islands were beaten into submission.
At the beginning of fifth month, Qhorwyn Greyjoy demanded trial by combat. Aegon allowed it, placing him against Lucas Westbrook, man who defeated lord Corbray two year ago. After the fight, Qhorwyn Greyjoy lied in puddle of his own blood.
His brother was able to form another small army, which was crushed by Alysanne two months later. After the battle, Urek Greyjoy surrendered. After more than year of fighting, his rebellion was over.

Aegon proved to be merciful and allowed him to reign as Lord Paramount of Iron Islands. Targaryen army was ferried to the mainland and returned home. Few weeks after the war, Aegon was approached by his father. Ronnel Connington was concerned with his ability to reign over his multiple castles and asked him, if he could be appointed lord of Stokeworth, to govern it in his son´s name. Aegon agreed.
Only one day later, news came from Riverlands. Lord Lucan Piper was fighting against rebellion of Blackwoods and Mallisters, who wanted to put Tullys back into power. Aegon was angered. He chose to support lord Piper and sent five thousand men under command of Alysanne to help lord of Trident.
During eleventh month, Elaena announced her pregnancy. Aegon spent many hours in sept, praying for son.
War in Riverlands went well, with enemies pushed back to Seagard. Things went worse in King´s Landing, though. Lord Ronnel´s spies heard that someone was trying to murder the king and during fourth month Master of Whisperers himself was killed while investigating this plot.
Month later, Garibald Edgerton, lord of Rosby, was found taking money from royal treasury. He was imprisoned and after trial sent to the Wall.
Fourteenth day of sixth month of year 86, Elaena Targaryen gave birth to a boy. Aegon named his son Haerys and immediately betrohed him to his sister.

Royal army with support of Pipers sieged multiple castles and engaged rebels north of Seagard. Alysanne unleashed Silverwing, wounded from previous sieges on enemy force, which was twice as strong as her own army. This ended in debacle, as white dragon fell from the sky, hit into the eye by arrow. Alysanne escaped unharmed, but Silverwing´s wing was mangled from the fall. Yet royal forces were able to push enemies back and rebels eventually surrendered.
Rest of the year went without major events, but at the beginning of year 87, both Iron Islands and Reach were fighting against rebels. Not caring about Greyjoys and their problems, Aegon´s only issue was with rebellion in Reach. Lady Paramount Alianne assured him she has things under controll, though, so he chose to not intervene.
At the beginning of second month, Grand Maester Clifford died at the age of 75. He was buried in sept on top of Visenya´s hill.
Another death that came was more pleasant. Urek Greyjoy was murdered and his daughter succeeded him.

Throughout all of these events, Aegon was getting messages from Riverlands. Silverwing was unable to travel back to King´s Landing and made lair close to location of last battle between Targaryens and Riverlander rebels. Men were sent to keep an eye on her and reported that Alysanne´s dragon was barely eating and spent most of her time sleeping. Eventually, close to the end of third month, message they all feared came.

At the age of 54, biggest and oldest of tamed Targaryen dragons died from her wounds. Her skull was brought to King´s Landing months later and put into throne room of Red Keep.

Dat dem der dragons, dying like flies. Anyways, I am back and I have material for two more chapters ready (just to write it) and plan to continue after that. Hopefully I won´t run out of names before this ends :D
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by Miczy97 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 03:38

Woo-hoo, this AAR is going great and I can't wait to see the future of house Targaryen!!!

(Also, I might be commenting to get notifications about updates... might.)
Miczy97

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:46

Thanks a lot. I hope to continue this until I have some major Targaryen civil war (similar to one from the beginning) with lots of dragons and after that maybe even until death of all dragons and/or Targaryens. So, unless something bad happens, this will hopefully go on for a long time.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Mon Nov 14, 2016 21:11

Chapter 18: Children and dragons

Despite terrible news about Silverwing, court celebrated. Gael Targaryen, now three years old, was healthy. Aegon´s and Elaena´s marriage was also happy and even though king became more focused on his prayers than chamber business, they loved each other deeply.
During the first half of year, it became clear that Greyjoys will withstand rebellion to put Qoherys Celtigar back as Lord Paramount. But lady Florent had problems with rebels and eventually requested king to order them to stand down. Yet despite Aegon´s order, they continued fighting. This infuriated the king, but instead of fighting, he chose different approach. Persuading his council to agree with him, he signed new law, allowing him to proclaim uncompliant lords enemies of the Realm.
Just as it was being made, lord Cayn Stark attacked the Vale, trying to take over. After Albar Arryn pleaded the king to order lord Stark to stand down, Aegon sent order to lord Stark.
At the same time, Moelle Greyjoy stepped down after getting petition from her vassals, leaving her six years old son to rule.

Raven brought response from Winterfell. Lord Cayn refused to stand down. Aegon responded by ordering his arrest, demanding lord Cayn to come to King´s Landing to face king´s justice. Stark refused and rebelled.
Pipers and Sarsfields joined Aegon in his war. As he was preparing to go to war, he got message from castellan of Stokeworth: Homeless people asked to stay in castle after their villages were destroyed by storm. Aegon agreed to let them in until they can rebuild their homes.
Royal army, twenty thousand strong, was moving to the north. During third month of year 88, message was brought from Iron Islands. Lord Harwyn Blacktyde was forced to agree to elective succession. Mere two months later, the young boy was sacrificed to the Drowned God. Qarl Harlaw became new Lord Paramount.

Close to the end of sixth month, royal army met with Starks in the north of Riverlands. Aegon released Fusrodax on them and won the battle. Only later did he find out lord Cayn was among the burned. His brother inherited the North.

In King´s Landing, Gael´s health problems started once again. Young princess caught pneumonia and Grand Maester was trying to save her.
War with the North was coming to its end, with Piper and Targaryen armies capturing multiple castles. During ninth month, lord Brandon Stark surrendered.
Unlike with lord Baratheon, Aegon chose to be harsh. Lord Brandon was adult, not a child. His support for his brother was consentious and when he became lord of the North, he didn´t surrender. Therefore, he had to forfeit North, which was then given to Jonnel Karstark.

Lord Brandon had to face trial and was deemed guilty. Instead of sending him to the Wall, Aegon forced him to walk around streets naked and then put him back to prison. Some of his courtiers wondered, if it wasn´t sign of madness, as „walk of shame“ wasn´t really used on men and especially on rulers charged with treason. His castle was besieged soon after this, by Karstark forces which came to take Winterfell. This conflict was soon over, though.
During twelfth month, Gael´s illness finally passed. And then, during fourth month of year 89, she started showing signs of increased intelligence. Coin tossed by gods at her birth was probably lucky.
During sixth month, Targaryens cheered for Alysanne´s son Gaemon. His egg finally hatched and he named his hatchling Seawing, similar to how its mother was called. This increased number of Targaryen dragons to five, including wild Vermithor and Dreamfyre.

Continuing with tradition of rebellions, lord Tommen Baratheon faced small uprising from one of his Baratheon vassals, but had things under controll.
During year 89, Grey Plague started ravaging central Riverlands. Meanwhile, at the court, Elaena gave her dragon egg to Gael. Only few days later, in the half of twelfth month, it became clear she was once again pregnant. Only few months after that, close to the end of third month of year 90, Gael´s egg hatched and princess named her hatchling Sunshine.

At the same time, Alysanne asked Aegon if he could find suitable bride for her son. King agreed and chose to marry him to Vaela Velaryon, member of line of Velaryons that was deposed by Aerea and were part of Targaryen court ever since.
Fifteenth day of seventh month of year 90, Elaena gave birth to a boy, who was named Jaehaerys, in memory of Alysanne´s brother and first husband.

Later that year, few men were captured trying to break Brandon Stark free of his prison. In response, lord Stark was put into black cells. Yet this didn´t help, as only half a year later, another group tried the same. As a response, Aegon ordered him to be beheaded.
Gaemon, Alysanne´s son reached adulthood and was promoted to commander of royal army. He also tamed Seawing.

Realm was finally at peace and Aegon started focusing on his charitable works. He chose to build refuge in King´s Landing in ninth month of the same year. Only month later, Elaena told him great news. Queen was pregnant for the fourth time.
At the beginning of eleventh month, Aegon decreed that Stokeworth will be given back to its former rulers. Justin Stokeworth was awarded traditional seat of his house. Some argued that it might not be good to give titles to those who rebelled against Aegon´s mother, but king just said Seven willed it.
During second month of year 92, white raven came from Citadel. Winter was coming.
During fifth month, Vaella Targaryen was born and betrohed to her brother, Jaehaerys.

In eight month, message came from the Wall. Lord Commander Corwen asked for help against Wildling invaders, but after talking to his council, Aegon chose to not participate in this war. Courtiers said they heard the king saying: „It is their job to guard the realm. If they cannot do so against group of wildlings with stone axes, maybe their land should just be given to Northerners, so they can man the wall with competent men.“
Ironically, lord Tommen Baratheon answered the call of Lord Commander and started gathering army to march to the Wall.
At the start of eleventh month, Lucan Piper died at the age of 51, leaving his son to rule Trident.

In the same month, lady Florent organized tourney in Highgarden, in which Aegon participated, but he was defeated in his first tilt.
While the tourney went on, message came from the east. In area of former Ghiscar, people started dying on some new illness, which proved to be extremely deadly and contagious. Yet at that time, nobody paid any attention to these news of epidemics, which would soon come to be known as Great sickness.

Now, I have one question. After four dragons, I noticed they are always called "he-dragon". My question is, if this is simply hardcoded in the mod, so every dragon is considered to be male, or if there is also chance for "she-dragon" to be hatched. I am asking this because I would like to know if I can rely on the mod to decide sex of my dragons, or if I have to pick it by myself. Even though with this mod, dragons that are male can lay an egg (as it happened with Vermithor and now Ghiscar), I think it is nice if I talk about them as he/she instead of it (for example, we know Dreamfyre is considered to be female and Vermithor male and I will stay with males for Fusrodax and Ghiscar, because they were described as such, but I would like to make Seawing and maybe even Sunshine females, it it really always describes dragons as "he").
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by Mistefar » Tue Nov 15, 2016 16:25

About your question about Dragon's gender

"No one ever looked for a girl," he said. "It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought . . . the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. He shared my belief when he was young, but later he became persuaded that it was his own son who fulfilled the prophecy, for a comet had been seen above King's Landing on the night Aegon was conceived, and Rhaegar was certain the bleeding star had to be a comet. What fools we were, who thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years. Daenerys is the one, born amidst salt and smoke. The dragons prove it."- Aemon Targaryen
Mistefar

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Tue Nov 15, 2016 17:14

Mistefar wrote:About your question about Dragon's gender

"No one ever looked for a girl," he said. "It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought . . . the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. He shared my belief when he was young, but later he became persuaded that it was his own son who fulfilled the prophecy, for a comet had been seen above King's Landing on the night Aegon was conceived, and Rhaegar was certain the bleeding star had to be a comet. What fools we were, who thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years. Daenerys is the one, born amidst salt and smoke. The dragons prove it."- Aemon Targaryen

I know about that. Although, in the past, before Targaryens said "screw it" and killed off their dragons, they had simple distinction of dragons: If it laid egg, it was female, and if it didn´t, it was male. While Barth (the guy who said dragons could change their sex) was right, dragons tended to stay the same sex throughout their whole lives. Example of this are Balerion and Vermithor, who never laid an egg, while others, like Vhagar or Silverwing, did.
But my question wasn´t about the lore, but about mod mechanics. While I cannot apply lore logic in this case, as every dragon can lay an egg, I could still say: Hey, so this one if male, this one is female and so on. But out of those 4 dragons that hatched in my playthrough yet, all were described as male. So my problem is: Are all dragons described as male in that birth event text, or is RNGesus just mocking me with 4 males and 0 females? Because if all are described as males, then I can choose sex of newborn dragons, but if there are also females, I will leave it to the mod itself to decide (although, names like Seawing and Sunshine would be perfect for female dragons, just like Silverwing or Dreamfyre, while Fusrodax and Ghiscar are great for males).
DorlasAnther

PreviousNext

Return to After Action Reports (AAR)