Where did all the Targaryens go?

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Where did all the Targaryens go?

PostPosted by Syrio » Thu Nov 17, 2016 15:09

I'm just wondering why the only living Targaryens currently are Daenerys, Aegon VI(If he's truly a Targaryen) and maybe Brynden Rivers aka Bloodraven, considering he is a legitimized bastard from Aegon IV. After Robert won the war did he execute all of them, surely many of them escaped that fate. I heard of an event called the Tragedy at Summerhall where many of them died but that still doesn't justify for the death of almost all the Targaryens. Were there many of them or weren't they a very populous house? Was the near extinction of their house due to a single event or numerous?
Syrio

Re: Where did all the Targaryens go?

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Thu Nov 17, 2016 18:14

We know about fates of most members of House Targaryen. Basically, what you have to consider first is that children of any female Targaryen weren´t Targaryens themselves, but members of different houses. So, even if women of this house that we know nothing of (there are few) survived into adulthood, their lines basically ended with them.
Now, what happened. There were quite a lot of Targaryens before Dance of Dragons (their civil war), but after that, only few women and two boys (Aegon and Viserys) remained. Aegon´s sons died childless and Viserys had only two, one of which became member of Kingsguard (Aemon the Dragonknight). His brother Aegon had son Daeron and daughter Daenerys and many bastards, but that was it. So, all Targaryens in the world that were born close to the end of second century and aferwards were children of one man.
So, Daeron the Good. He had four sons. Oldest, Baelor, died and during Great sickness, Daeron and his sons died too, leaving his second son, Aerys, to rule. But Aerys liked books more than women and died childless. Third son, Rhaegel, was mad and died before Aerys and his son Aelor died soon afterwards by accident caused by his sister-wife, who killed herself soon after that. He also had daughter, who was married to his brother´s son, Aerion. So, crown went to Maekar, fourth son who had four sons. Oldest, Aerion, was married to Rhaegel´s daughter. This was the guy who drank wilfire and died. His son, Maegor, was just a child when he was claimant to the throne, but nobody wanted him there, because he could be mad like his dad. Seeing that he is no longer mentioned, it can be safely assumed he died either during childhood or when he was young. Second son of Maekar was Daeron, who died of pox and had only kind of stupid daughter, who was also considered as a queen after her grandfather´s death, but nobody wanted her and was either married off to some other house, but most likely died in young age. Third son was Aemon, maester of Castle Black. So, after Maekar died, only his fourth son, Aegon, was able to carry on Targaryen name. Maekar´s daughters were married to other houses, so they aren´t important.
Aegon had three sons. Duncan chose to marry lowborn woman and gave up his claim. They had no children. Jaehaerys married his sister, Shaera and had Aerys "the Mad King" with her. Daeron was homosexual, who died in battle. Rhaelle was married to Ormund Baratheon, lord of Stormlands.
And now about Summerhall. It was summer seat of Targaryens and former seat of Maekar. In year 259, Aerys and his sister-wife Rhaella had a son, Rhaegar and all Targaryens came there to celebrate (this could include living children of Aegon´s brothers). Aegon tried some ritual to hatch dragon eggs that Targaryen still had and failed spectacularly. Only Jaehaerys, his wife, children and Rhaegar escaped.
Jaehaerys didn´t reign long and while Aerys had many children with his wife, they were either stillborn or didn´t live for long. Only Viserys and later Daenerys survived. Rhaegar had son and daughter with Elia Martell.
These were all living Targaryens at the time of Robert´s rebellion (who was actually rightful king in case of death of all Targaryens, as his grandmother was Targaryen), excluding Daenerys, who was not born at that time. Rhaegar died in battle, his children were killed (SPOILER: well, unless you consider Aegon who appears in 5th book to be his son). Viserys and his mother were brought to Dragonstone and she died in childbirth of Daenerys.

So, to answer your question, while there were many Targaryens throughout the history and their house was quite secure at the time of rebellion (Rhaegar, Aegon and Viserys, that´s three heirs in line), all of them were children of Aerys, because most Targaryens died in Summerhall.
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 18:28

Only Targs to survive Robert's rise were Dany, her Brother Viserys, and Maester Aemon of the Nightswatch. Aegon is said to be the son of Dany's dead brother Rhaegar, though it's suspected by many that it's a pretender(maybe a Blackfyre). Before Robert the only Targaryens were Dany's father, her siblings, and Aemon because the Dance of Dragons, various plagues, Targ claims, and Targ madness.
SinStar87

PostPosted by Dawnbreaker » Fri Nov 18, 2016 06:49

What's been said pretty much covers it. However their may be some other Targs out there we don't know about, children that were born that we haven't been told about, by say Maegor Targaryen son of Aerion Brightflame, a Targaryen we don't know too much about, Or Aerion himself could have fathered many more children while in Essos. So their could be more out there.
Dawnbreaker

PostPosted by Syrio » Fri Nov 18, 2016 09:10

Thanks for your responses, this has helped me clarify the topic. Just one more thing, so the Targaryens were also famed by the fact that they sired children with their siblings to keep the bloodline pure but how often was this actually done because it seems like they mostly married into other houses.
Syrio

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Fri Nov 18, 2016 13:17

These are just Brother/Sister unions.
Spoiler: show
+Gaemon Targaryen, son of Aenar the Exile. Married sister Daenys (the Dreamer).
+Aegon Targaryen, son of Gaemon. Married sister Elaena.
+King Aegon I Targaryen.
+Aegon Targaryen, son of Aenys. Married sister Rhaena (after his death she was force married by Maegor the Cruel)
+Jaehaerys I Targaryen, son of Aenys. Married sister Alysanne.
+Baelon Targaryen, son of Jaeharys. Married sister Alyssa.
+Aegon II Targaryen, son of Viserys I. Married sister Helaena.
+Baelor I Targaryen, son of Aegon II. Married temporarily to sister Daena (the Defiant).
+Aegon IV Targaryen, son of Viserys II. Married sister Naerys.
+Aelor Targaryen, son of Rhaegel (Daeron II's son). Married sister Aelora.
+Jaehaerys II Targaryen, son of Aegon V. Married sister Shaera.
+Aerys II Targaryen, son of Jaehaerys. Married sister Rhaella.

Other marriages were as followed with numbering (only counting male Targaryens)
Spoiler: show
Arryn x1
Baratheon x1
Blackwood x1
Costayne x1
Dayne x1
Harroway x1
Hightower x2
Martell x2
Penrose x1
Royce x1
Targaryen (NON SIBLING) x4
Velaryon x4
Westerling x1
of Pentos? x1
of Tyrosh x1
of Oldstones x1

Breakdown...
13 Brother/Sister marriages.
12 Cousin marriages.
13 Non relation marriages.

Jocelyn Baratheon was the daughter of Alyssa Velaryon (mother of Jaeharys I).
Aemma Arryn was the daughter of Daella Targaryen.
Aelinor Penrose was the daughter of ... I dunno. She's specifically listed as a cousin. Although she isn't one of the children Elaena Targaryen had with her husband Ronnel Penrose. Whatever.
And counting all Velaryon and Targaryen under Cousin marriages (Although one was a niece)

EDIT: If you are curious.. The following didn't have children... Costayne, Harroway, Hightower (1 of them), Royce, Westerling, of Pentos, of Oldstones. Which is about half of the non-relation marriages.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by DorlasAnther » Fri Nov 18, 2016 15:50

Syrio wrote:Thanks for your responses, this has helped me clarify the topic. Just one more thing, so the Targaryens were also famed by the fact that they sired children with their siblings to keep the bloodline pure but how often was this actually done because it seems like they mostly married into other houses.

You should also remember that Velaryons were Valyrians too. So all marriages to Velaryons can be seen as marriages to keep blood of Old Valyria pure. And if you look at marriages from early years of their reign, they really married outside of houses Targaryen and Velaryon only if they had to, as was the case with Maegor, who had no sister or Velaryon to marry, or daughters of Jaehaerys.
It was only after dragons died out, when marriages to Velaryons suddenly stopped (just look it up, unless I missed someone, there is not a single marriage to Velaryon after reign of Aegon III.).
DorlasAnther

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Fri Nov 18, 2016 23:50

You are correct Dorlas. Although I would probably count Elaena Targaryen either way. She was never married to Alyn Velaryon but they did have a couple children.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Mitza8 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 18:22

Of course a lot of Targaryen males had basters all around the world that they didn't acknowledge, but they do not cound as proper Targaryens. So if you think about it, that's why Daenerys is so important (politically speaking)
'For the internet is dark and full of spoilers'
Mitza8

PostPosted by dontwakethedragon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 00:33

Aerion Brightflame's only legitimate son (Maegor) may still be alive and there is a theory that he is actually the Tattered Prince, who leads the Windblown. I don't personally believe that theory as it's more likely that the Tattered Prince is an exiled noble from Pentos. Regardless, Maegor would be in his sixties by the time of the last book and would have a better claim to the Throne than Daenerys or the would-be Aegon.

The other theory is that Maegor may have married into the Blackfyres as both branches were wrongfully denied the Throne depending on one's point of view. I really hope that theory is true, because it would mean there were still legitimate descendants of the Black Dragon out there somewhere.

I wish we'd get some better information regarding his fate, but he's only mentioned during his infancy, during which he was denied the Throne due to his age and the possibility that he may inherit his father's madness. Targaryen on both sides, his claim was certainly the strongest at the time, but he was passed over in favor of Aegon the Unlikely and we all know how bad a King he was.
dontwakethedragon

PostPosted by dontwakethedragon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 00:38

DorlasAnther wrote:
Syrio wrote:Thanks for your responses, this has helped me clarify the topic. Just one more thing, so the Targaryens were also famed by the fact that they sired children with their siblings to keep the bloodline pure but how often was this actually done because it seems like they mostly married into other houses.

You should also remember that Velaryons were Valyrians too. So all marriages to Velaryons can be seen as marriages to keep blood of Old Valyria pure. And if you look at marriages from early years of their reign, they really married outside of houses Targaryen and Velaryon only if they had to, as was the case with Maegor, who had no sister or Velaryon to marry, or daughters of Jaehaerys.
It was only after dragons died out, when marriages to Velaryons suddenly stopped (just look it up, unless I missed someone, there is not a single marriage to Velaryon after reign of Aegon III.).

Present day Velaryons are indeed descended from the Targaryens as Corlys' heir married Baela Targaryen (Daemon's daughter) This would give them a weak, but legit claim on the Throne.
dontwakethedragon

Return to Story and Lore