Societies in AGOT

For any general subject related to the mod

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 17:15

tirion1987 wrote:Maybe Stone Men being joinable by people with Greyscale? That can happen to everyone, not just courtiers and printers.

Yes but what would they do...? The stone men are not an organisation you just join but a bunch of people left for dead due to greyscale.
Graduate Content Designer on Project Caligula

My amazingly empty Twitter account: @blackninja9939

Posts edited in this colour were done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by joost_10 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 17:33

Yea i get what you mean. but we dont know yet in full detail what the purposes of societies could be, so maybe later on, it will make sense to implement these idea's.
about the little birds: However not joinable for players, i could be very interesing, having them in game. if the players gain control over them, being master of whisperers or another high-intrique iron-throner, they can use them to get info. or murder or whatever. I know that in the books/series only Varys does have little birds, but that doest mean that other caracters/players could NOT have similar little birds.
Actually, in the series it seems that Qyburn gained control over the little birds. He uses them to blow up the Sept of Baleor and killing Pycell.

The goal of the stone man can be the same goal as Jorah the Andel: finding a Cure for greyscale.

About the Dragonlords: you make the mod. so if you say so: they all want to restore Valyria :-)
joost_10

PostPosted by joost_10 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30

joost_10

PostPosted by suvantar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 22:02

joost_10 wrote:I know that in the books/series only Varys does have little birds, but that doest mean that other caracters/players could NOT have similar little birds. Actually, in the series it seems that Qyburn gained control over the little birds. He uses them to blow up the Sept of Baleor and killing Pycell.

I''m pretty sure almost anyone who serves as a Master of Whisperers, (or whatever a given society chooses to call the head of its intelligence gathering service), will have something similar to Varys' 'little birds.' They might not use swarms of street urchins, but they do have networks of informants and so forth, the effectiveness of which, I suppose, is already largely reflected in their attribute.
suvantar

PostPosted by tirion1987 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 22:52

We shall see how much can be done with societies. Ideally they'd be able to be formed and ended dynamically, but that might be asking for too much...
tirion1987

PostPosted by joost_10 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 09:32

You know what really is a shame. The warlocks for example. they are clearly not a religious group. They are not priests or so. In the wiki, it says that Quarth has mixed religions, so absolutely not the warlocks. Warlocks are the perfect example of a group which can be modded-in, using the new feature of Societies.
However, i really do understand that the modder(s) of AGOT do not want to break everything down what they've already build. I can perfectly understand why they made the warlocks a religion. Because religion is the mechanic that is closest to the features you want to use with warlocks, previous Monks and Mystics. I would have done the same thing.
So however its really a pity, I'am afraid it would not change anything.
joost_10

PostPosted by tirion1987 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 09:44

joost_10 wrote:You know what really is a shame. The warlocks for example. they are clearly not a religious group. They are not priests or so. In the wiki, it says that Quarth has mixed religions, so absolutely not the warlocks. Warlocks are the perfect example of a group which can be modded-in, using the new feature of Societies.
However, i really do understand that the modder(s) of AGOT do not want to break everything down what they've already build. I can perfectly understand why they made the warlocks a religion. Because religion is the mechanic that is closest to the features you want to use with warlocks, previous Monks and Mystics. I would have done the same thing.
So however its really a pity, I'am afraid it would not change anything.

They had a system for Dothraki before Horse Lords too. Don't underestimate them ;)
tirion1987

PostPosted by joost_10 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 13:40

thats right! so there's is hope! You have given my life meaning again!
:-D
joost_10

PostPosted by Enriador » Thu Jan 05, 2017 04:17

Besides the canon Societies, I think its a good idea to add up new, non-canonical ones just to give some flavor to regions like Yi Ti and the Free Cities.
Enriador

PostPosted by demonclown » Thu Jan 05, 2017 09:51

Enriador wrote:Besides the canon Societies, I think its a good idea to add up new, non-canonical ones just to give some flavor to regions like Yi Ti and the Free Cities.

I could see this being done in a sub-mod, but from what I've seen core AGOT mod usually doesn't deviate too far from canon.

What kind of societies do you think Yi Ti would have? Maybe there's some lore out there. Rebuilding an old imperial dynasty could be a thing. Not hard to imagine a bunch of evil mustached lords planning the fall of the current emperor in hopes of a different dynasty. But then again, factions could do this (though the immersion aspect would be bleh).
demonclown

PostPosted by joost_10 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 14:44

" The people of Yi Ti also worship their emperors as living god"
A cool society might be the worshippers of the current emperor. Maybe there are some cool features supporting that.
joost_10

PostPosted by Galrun » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:20

I think this is a good time to bring up the slave fight idea for slaver nations again :-)
A possible society for slaver nations could be the "fighting pit owners":
People who organize tournaments between their most capable slaves, where the losers die and the winners bring gold and prestige to their owners.
Between the members of the society there could be a special form of slave trade established where you e.g. ask someone else for a training fight to improve your gladiators fighting skill.
Galrun

PostPosted by Enriador » Mon Jan 16, 2017 19:56

demonclown wrote:
Enriador wrote:Besides the canon Societies, I think its a good idea to add up new, non-canonical ones just to give some flavor to regions like Yi Ti and the Free Cities.

I could see this being done in a sub-mod, but from what I've seen core AGOT mod usually doesn't deviate too far from canon.

What kind of societies do you think Yi Ti would have? Maybe there's some lore out there. Rebuilding an old imperial dynasty could be a thing. Not hard to imagine a bunch of evil mustached lords planning the fall of the current emperor in hopes of a different dynasty. But then again, factions could do this (though the immersion aspect would be bleh).

Ever since I heard of the Five Forts I thought about how a non-canonical, Night's Watch-style order there would be cool. Better non-canon flavor than no flavor, my grandmother liked to say.

I also would enjoy a secret Society following the Great Other, like vanilla Lucifer's Own.
Enriador

PostPosted by ptlans » Mon Feb 13, 2017 08:18

What about "occultists", or "sorcerers" as a replacement for the "demon worshipers" from vanilla?

Basically keep pretty much all the vanilla dlc content but localize it.

Maybe add some lore friendly events.

Since there have been rumored magic using lords even in westeros i.e. Dagon Drumm the necromancer, it kind of fits.

So something like a temporary bonus to plot power after communing with the dead.

Or making your own Robert the Strong like Qyburn does, give it disfigured, imbicile and a huge opinion boost to it's "maker".

Controlling the elements in some fashion to destroy a building in a county or to give you some kind of combat boost.

The church of starry night could be converted to a society for the religions of yi ti since it's origin is there and it might fit as a replacement for the Lucifers own.

The starry night religion doesn't have much going on for it atm and lore wise it seems like more of a cult than religion.

Could get in more lovecraftian content in there which is always awesome.

There's also maegi for the dothraki, basically blood mages but almost exclusively women from what I've read.

I'm sure I could think of others but those ideas came to mind first.
ptlans

PostPosted by Enriador » Thu Feb 16, 2017 02:37

To adapt vanilla's Lucifer's Own stuff to the AGoT mod would be cool. Maybe as secret servants of the Great Other?
Enriador

PostPosted by ptlans » Thu Feb 16, 2017 08:43

Enriador wrote:To adapt vanilla's Lucifer's Own stuff to the AGoT mod would be cool. Maybe as secret servants of the Great Other?

You know you said that already right? :|

From what Ive seen there are a few heretical societies devoted to "evil" religions in the dlc for example
Starry night (as I said before)
Boash, after the priests were slaughtered and chased into the mazes to die could be either a dead religion or cult
The Others, craster worships them openly but some Great Other worshipers may exist in secret among Rhllor worshipers
Maegi (dothraki/lhazhareen bloodmages)
Storm God worship for the ironborn
Witches are suprisingly common in southern westeros, using bloodmagic, worshiping lady of the waves, stormking, etc.
Elemental sorcerers were also pretty common across the map in the time of old valyria

Pouring over the lore there are tons of gods and quite a few references to magical/religious cults and practices, not all of them evil or against the societal norm (spellsingers in asshai), so I'm sure they'll find what fits.
ptlans

PostPosted by tirion1987 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 14:37

Even Craster is not entirely overt in his worship of the Others. Cold Gods should be a society, not a religion.
tirion1987

PostPosted by PallyWC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 18:36

i'm curious if the monastic order thing is for templars and such...because if it is we should be able to form groups like the warriors sons but you know...cooler possibly something Templar'esque with the goal of reclaiming the holy lands of andalos :P
PallyWC

PostPosted by Enriador » Thu Feb 16, 2017 22:23

ptlans wrote:
Enriador wrote:To adapt vanilla's Lucifer's Own stuff to the AGoT mod would be cool. Maybe as secret servants of the Great Other?

You know you said that already right? :|

I thought I didn't post it! Sorry.

Any ideas on the new Secret Cults features?
Enriador

PostPosted by knuckey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:43

We plan on repackaging the devil worshipper societies as AGOT themed cults, including cults for The Great Other, Starry Wisdom, Storm God, The Others and The Stranger.

As for other potential societies, we have Poor Fellows/Warrior's Sons (monastic orders), Alchemists Guild, Iron Bank, Maesters (possibly using hermetics features), Faceless/Sorrowful Men, Sparrows listed at the moment. I like the idea of revamping the warlocks as a society as well. But implementing all this will probably be long and intensive, so most of this probably wont be in the first update after the patch/DLC!
knuckey
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion