Societies in AGOT

For any general subject related to the mod

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Enriador » Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:55

knuckey wrote:We plan on repackaging the devil worshipper societies as AGOT themed cults, including cults for The Great Other, Starry Wisdom, Storm God, The Others and The Stranger.

As for other potential societies, we have Poor Fellows/Warrior's Sons (monastic orders), Alchemists Guild, Iron Bank, Maesters (possibly using hermetics features), Faceless/Sorrowful Men, Sparrows listed at the moment. I like the idea of revamping the warlocks as a society as well. But implementing all this will probably be long and intensive, so most of this probably wont be in the first update after the patch/DLC!



Thanks for the update! I wonder how you will fit the military aspects of certain orders - like the Faith Militant - into the Societies framework. Maybe it should be better to leave them as quasi-Feudal?
Enriador
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 16:23

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by ptlans » Sat Feb 18, 2017 08:26

knuckey wrote:We plan on repackaging the devil worshipper societies as AGOT themed cults, including cults for The Great Other, Starry Wisdom, Storm God, The Others and The Stranger.

As for other potential societies, we have Poor Fellows/Warrior's Sons (monastic orders), Alchemists Guild, Iron Bank, Maesters (possibly using hermetics features), Faceless/Sorrowful Men, Sparrows listed at the moment. I like the idea of revamping the warlocks as a society as well. But implementing all this will probably be long and intensive, so most of this probably wont be in the first update after the patch/DLC!


Sounds awesome
User avatar
ptlans
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 20:46

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Mirith » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52

I know it's too soon to suggest such ideas, since nodding capabilities of new DLC aren't revealed yet, but...

Have you thought about givingiving player option to create his own society, if specific requirements are fullfiled?

As example:
Dragonlords of New Valyria
-Ruler has Dragon rider trait
-Ruler holes new New Valyria title
- Ruler has xxxxx stats
-Ruler is independent
-Not incapable
-Has Valyrian steel sword
And more.
If this is fullfiled, player will join this society as leader. With privilege to invite other Dragon riders
And missions, quests or treasurers can develop as new members are invited.
Mirith
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 23:19

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by PallyWC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 04:50

Mirith wrote:I know it's too soon to suggest such ideas, since nodding capabilities of new DLC aren't revealed yet, but...

Have you thought about givingiving player option to create his own society, if specific requirements are fullfiled?

As example:
Dragonlords of New Valyria
-Ruler has Dragon rider trait
-Ruler holes new New Valyria title
- Ruler has xxxxx stats
-Ruler is independent
-Not incapable
-Has Valyrian steel sword
And more.
If this is fullfiled, player will join this society as leader. With privilege to invite other Dragon riders
And missions, quests or treasurers can develop as new members are invited.


Yes...If only for the reason this would create a valid reason to play as an Essosi Valyrian House Dracul and try to form the Order of the Dragon :P
PallyWC
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 18:41

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Mirith » Tue Feb 21, 2017 08:01

You don't have to be necessary of this society. Many more can bee created... Just just good enough reason is needed. General idea is same. Create a society, instead of joining.
Mirith
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 23:19

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by nzranga » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:54

As for societies I'd like to see, I'd really like there to be a secret Blackfyre loyalist group. In the Dunk and Egg novella they stumble across a tourney which is actually just a ruse so all the Blackfyre loyalists can meet. That would be very interesting and add a much better way to be traitorous to the Iron Throne.

This could also hopefully be implemented for the Roberts loyalists before his rebellion and the Targaryens after it. There could also be one for Stannis prior to his rebellion.

Perhaps another good one might be a secret society for black brothers who desert the wall. That way they can potentially hide for longer before someone realises that they are deserters. Because I mean if some guy showed up at your court how would you know he was a deserter if he wasn't in all black?
nzranga
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 08:35

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Enriador » Tue Feb 28, 2017 01:04

Societies cannot be dinamically created I think. And pro-Blackfyre plots are better represented as... plots. I mean, what if they get the Iron Throne. What will their Society be used for?
Enriador
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 16:23

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by joost_10 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 13:22

cool idea for a society: Brothel-visitor membership. A special secret society for nobles in Kings-landing, led by Little Finger. nobles can join, as wel as septons. Membership means access to special, cool events, related to kings-landings brothels.

In this fashion, every great city may have its own brothel-membership-society.
:mrgreen:
joost_10
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 15:19

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Tiranasta » Sat Mar 04, 2017 16:03

knuckey wrote:We plan on repackaging the devil worshipper societies as AGOT themed cults, including cults for The Great Other, Starry Wisdom, Storm God, The Others and The Stranger.

Why would The Stranger need a cult? He's not a satan-figure to the Westerosi, just another aspect of the Seven who happens to represent death. Mainstream Westerosi religious practice still has him worshiped alongside the others, just with somewhat less enthusiasm.
Tiranasta
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 14:05

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Gurkhal » Sat Mar 04, 2017 18:00

Two suggestions for societies from me is that there could be an anti-magical secret society centered on the Citadel but also spreading out to some lords and a hidden anti-slavery society in Essos working to abolish slavery through whatever means would be necessary from within.
Gurkhal
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 19:59

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Enriador » Sat Mar 04, 2017 19:38

Gurkhal wrote:Two suggestions for societies from me is that there could be an anti-magical secret society centered on the Citadel but also spreading out to some lords and a hidden anti-slavery society in Essos working to abolish slavery through whatever means would be necessary from within.


Both are great ideas! We don't know about lords on the first one or anything on the second one, but these are pausible and cool ideas nonetheless.
Enriador
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 16:23

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Podrick pussy killer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 22:43

I dont know if this has already been proposed but making the order of the green hand a real order instead of an honorary title would be cool considering that the manderlys and some reachmen are already members in the current version
Podrick pussy killer
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 00:55

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Ktulu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 15:55

Maybe the Order of Green Men? An order of mystic old gods worshippers who strive for peace in the realm?

Since Addam Velaryon was said to have flown his dragon to the Isle of Faces and taken counsel with the Green Men, maybe there could be an event where you could do the same thing?
Ktulu
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 01:36

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Lord Ravenstark » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:56

Will there be a magic related society? Preferably better than vanilla hermetics. Perhaps making it only available if you have some traits like mystical, green or dragon dreams or high learning (making learning a useful stat since there is no tech). Would make sense since magic exists, and is not widely practised yet there a few who have been rumoured to practice sorcery.

Also to balance, so now you don't just convert to R'hllor asap and hope for an event. Society currency would have to be very slow gain except for sacrifices.
Lord Ravenstark
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 11:40

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Enriador » Sun Mar 26, 2017 13:29

Lord Ravenstark wrote:Will there be a magic related society? Preferably better than vanilla hermetics. Perhaps making it only available if you have some traits like mystical, green or dragon dreams or high learning (making learning a useful stat since there is no tech). Would make sense since magic exists, and is not widely practised yet there a few who have been rumoured to practice sorcery.

Also to balance, so now you don't just convert to R'hllor asap and hope for an event. Society currency would have to be very slow gain except for sacrifices.


As commented before, the Warlocks could fit in as a magic Society. Maybe R'hllor's church too? The head at the Temple of Light would have to be the Society Head though!
Enriador
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 16:23

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by HawtCuisine » Fri Mar 31, 2017 23:56

Something I'd personally enjoy a fair bit would be a sort of 'Order of The Green Hand'-type Knightly order. I feel like a military/combat focused society could be interesting, and it could be focused on training. Society 'points' could be a sort of chivalry score, with traits like honourable, knight, etc. Adding to the score. Quests could be focused around tourneys or duels, or something to that description.
HawtCuisine
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 23:50

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by superninja76 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 08:15

HawtCuisine wrote:Something I'd personally enjoy a fair bit would be a sort of 'Order of The Green Hand'-type Knightly order. I feel like a military/combat focused society could be interesting, and it could be focused on training. Society 'points' could be a sort of chivalry score, with traits like honourable, knight, etc. Adding to the score. Quests could be focused around tourneys or duels, or something to that description.

I love this idea, but i'd like to modify it a bit.
Instead of the quests being focused around tourneys and duels, how about they are actual well, quests?
Like, peasants asking you for help against slavers and or bandits, escorting caravans, etc. At the end of them, you can refuse payment for more "chivalry points", or recieve payment in in-game gold.

Another interesting society would be like, a group of intellectuals and scholars who search for lost artifacts and stuff. Their missions could be to look for artifacts such as really old books, and valyrian steel swords. You could even work the old valyrian steel sword ambition into it!
User avatar
superninja76
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 16:54

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by NightWatchman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 20:56

knuckey wrote:We plan on repackaging the devil worshipper societies as AGOT themed cults, including cults for The Great Other, Starry Wisdom, Storm God, The Others and The Stranger.

As for other potential societies, we have Poor Fellows/Warrior's Sons (monastic orders), Alchemists Guild, Iron Bank, Maesters (possibly using hermetics features), Faceless/Sorrowful Men, Sparrows listed at the moment. I like the idea of revamping the warlocks as a society as well. But implementing all this will probably be long and intensive, so most of this probably wont be in the first update after the patch/DLC!


I won't be playing for a while until the base game settles down and patches its bugs (because I assume you guys won't be updating the mod until after that), but I did install the new version to briefly check things out so I could give my thoughts. So:

Tiranasta wrote:Why would The Stranger need a cult? He's not a satan-figure to the Westerosi, just another aspect of the Seven who happens to represent death. Mainstream Westerosi religious practice still has him worshiped alongside the others, just with somewhat less enthusiasm.


From AWOIAF: "The Stranger is an exception in that he is viewed in a negative light, with worshippers rarely praying to him" and "Worshippers rarely seek favor from the Stranger, but outcasts sometimes associate themselves with this aspect of god". Both those quotes require citations on the wiki though, so I don't know how accurate they are, but intuitively that seems right.

Enriador wrote:
Thanks for the update! I wonder how you will fit the military aspects of certain orders - like the Faith Militant - into the Societies framework. Maybe it should be better to leave them as quasi-Feudal?


This is interesting to me too knuckey. The Poor Fellows are limited to commoners only, at least canon-wise, so that should mean the player character can't join, right? And if you're going by canon then the Warrior's Sons won't be playable unless the Faith's authority is at medium or high (when the Faith can be landed). What happens if I'm a one lordship Lord in the Warrior's Sons and the King bumps down the Faith's authority to low, is that a game over (my land is revoked) or do I leave the Warrior's Sons?

It seems to me like there aren't very many Societies planned that the player character can join then (unless you want to worship the Stranger, the Others, etc...). From my playing today the Alchemists Guild is locked down fairly well unless you meet some criteria, the Maesters are obviously gonna be only open to Maesters (unless you can go study at the citadel and get to rank one or something only), and the monastic orders seem to be a bit tricky to model in game terms from what I said above. Because of that I like these suggestions:

Gurkhal wrote:Two suggestions for societies from me is that there could be an anti-magical secret society centered on the Citadel but also spreading out to some lords and a hidden anti-slavery society in Essos working to abolish slavery through whatever means would be necessary from within.

____________
Podrick pussy killer wrote:I dont know if this has already been proposed but making the order of the green hand a real order instead of an honorary title would be cool considering that the manderlys and some reachmen are already members in the current version


The Order of the Green Hand was destroyed at the Field of Fire so there's no start date that would be able to support this. The Manderlys still claim it because they were exiled from the Reach before the organization was destroyed. So not The Order specifically, but perhaps a general knightly society as is suggested below?

superninja76 wrote:
HawtCuisine wrote:Something I'd personally enjoy a fair bit would be a sort of 'Order of The Green Hand'-type Knightly order. I feel like a military/combat focused society could be interesting, and it could be focused on training. Society 'points' could be a sort of chivalry score, with traits like honourable, knight, etc. Adding to the score. Quests could be focused around tourneys or duels, or something to that description.

I love this idea, but i'd like to modify it a bit.
Instead of the quests being focused around tourneys and duels, how about they are actual well, quests?
Like, peasants asking you for help against slavers and or bandits, escorting caravans, etc. At the end of them, you can refuse payment for more "chivalry points", or recieve payment in in-game gold.

Another interesting society would be like, a group of intellectuals and scholars who search for lost artifacts and stuff. Their missions could be to look for artifacts such as really old books, and valyrian steel swords. You could even work the old valyrian steel sword ambition into it!


I really like everything superninja76 suggested. The knightly society would be especially cool as a sort of open society for all of faith of the seven westeros, if it existed you wouldn't have to worry about joining some death-cult or monastic order (which canon-wise you can't join if you are a lord and own lands).

The levels could go Squire->Knight->True Knight. Squire can be a granted minor title like "apprentice" is for the hermetic society in the base game but also the lowest rung in the society if you join it yourself without being "initiated" by an actual knight. The society itself would focus on duels/tournaments, increasing your personal combat skill, and increasing your martial education trait.

Traits that would help you rank up in the society (and the opposite traits would hinder you):
Brave (in the name of the warrior I charge you to be brave)
Just (in the name of the father I charge you to be just)
King (in the name of the mother I charge you to defend the young and innocent)
Chaste/Celibate (in the name of the maid I charge you to protect all women)

And a couple of cool event chains like superninja76 suggested that result in you getting paid gold or gaining traits associated with knighthood, etc...
NightWatchman
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 18:57

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by tirion1987 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 13:53

Am I the only one who has the Alchemists die out within a century?
tirion1987
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 23:58

Re: Societies in AGOT

PostPosted by Joron Corbie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 15:31

for rankings I would suggest squire - knight - paladin - grand master instead of calling it true knight.
Joron Corbie
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 13:19

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests