Cadet branches overhaul

For any general subject related to the mod

Cadet branches overhaul

PostPosted by motiff » Sun Jan 22, 2017 14:32

Sorry if this matter had already been raised before.

Playing the mod I have noticed some inconsistencies in the way the mod handles lore cadet branches. For instance, some houses like Fossoways and Arryns have their respective cadet branches separate from the main dynasty. However, the three branches of Flints located in different corners of the North are all of the same dynasty. The same thing in case of Farwynds and a couple of other dynasties.

My question is, doesn't this incosistent system need an overhaul? Wouldn't it make sense to have cadet branches as separate dynasties in all cases? Especially in the case of the Flints.
motiff

Re: Cadet branches overhaul

PostPosted by Valor1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 14:34

I think they still consider them to be part of their dynasty a perfect example of that are the Lannisters of Lannisport.
Valor1

PostPosted by MBjarno » Tue Jan 24, 2017 15:22

If they are considered the same, we at least know that the Flint's of Widow's Watch, and Flint's of Flint's Finger uses different coat of arms. There's also reason to believe that the Flint clansmen, and the Flint Northmen would not subscribe to be of the same house.

I think it is very case dependant.
MBjarno

PostPosted by motiff » Tue Jan 24, 2017 19:34

Valor1 wrote:I think they still consider them to be part of their dynasty a perfect example of that are the Lannisters of Lannisport.

Why do we have separate Arryns and Arryns of Gulltown, separate Fossoways of Cider Hall and Fossoways of New barrell? I am pointing out the inconsistent manner cadet branches are handled. Flints should definitely be separated into different branches, IMO
motiff

PostPosted by Valor1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 14:42

Arryns of Gultown are separated because they main Aryn bracnch denounced them because they married to lowborn merchants for money.As for the Fossoways idk
Valor1

PostPosted by zerofighterr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 00:36

Fossoways is a different story too,

Ser Steffon Fossoway and his cousin Raymun both attended the tourney at Ashford Meadow, with Steffon intending to enter the lists. Raymun served as his squire until the trial of seven. After promising Duncan to take his side, Steffon revealed his intention to join Prince Maekar Targaryen and the accusers. Steffon justified himself to his cousin Raymun by alleging he would be "Lord Fossoway" at the end of the day. Raymun instead supported Dunk. To mark himself on the field, Ser Raymun, newly knighted by Ser Lyonel Baratheon, repainted the apple on his shield green, founding House Fossoway of New Barrel.
zerofighterr

PostPosted by motiff » Sun Feb 12, 2017 02:08

This is all true, but most of the cadet branches are "a different story". It is not even known for sure if all the Flints in the North are related at all.
motiff

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Sat Feb 18, 2017 19:47

You are several months late :lol:

topic12005.html

Lannisters of the Rock and the port especially need a split since their branching is probably much older than Stark/Karstark one.
Because he's the king that Westeros deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll fight him, because he can take it. He is a teeth gritting guardian. He is pure iron. A truly just man.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by motiff » Mon Feb 20, 2017 16:36

Glad to see I am not the only one. This could at least be implemented as a submod. I would gladly do it myself since it basically involves creating new dynasty entries and lots of copy paste, but I would struggle with CoAs (no idea how to assign them to a particular dynasty). Anyone to help?
motiff

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49

I can "help" with providing a list of cadet branches, I think I had a not so complete list somewhere but no promises.

Anyway, here are two more cadets, newly branched:

- House Lannister of Darry, their CoA is quartered with Lannister and Darry CoA's.

- House Frey of Riverrun.
Because he's the king that Westeros deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll fight him, because he can take it. He is a teeth gritting guardian. He is pure iron. A truly just man.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 07:19

Some supporting "evidence" for Cassels being a Stark cadet.

Maekar, a fourth son and fourth in line to inherit (before his brothers had any children, anyway) has four dragons in his personal CoA. Garlan and Loras, second and third sons and second and third in line to inherit, have two and three roses as their personal coat of arms

A similar "cadet" (though through marriage), Whents, are already in the game , so why not also add Cassels? I do not know if Whents-Lothstons has any canon base to it, but if there's one it is even more support for Stark-Cassel.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by BlackfyreRulz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 08:41

Corvo the Crow wrote:Some supporting "evidence" for Cassels being a Stark cadet.

Maekar, a fourth son and fourth in line to inherit (before his brothers had any children, anyway) has four dragons in his personal CoA. Garlan and Loras, second and third sons and second and third in line to inherit, have two and three roses as their personal coat of arms

A similar "cadet" (though through marriage), Whents, are already in the game , so why not also add Cassels? I do not know if Whents-Lothstons has any canon base to it, but if there's one it is even more support for Stark-Cassel.

topic13519.html

and whents are not cadets of the Lothstons, from memory I believe that the creator of the house Whent married one of the daughters of Lord Lothston
BlackfyreRulz

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 14:46

Yes they aren't cadets in the mod, that's why I said "cadet", but a whent being married to the ninth child of lord Lothston is a mod fiction, we have no knowledge of whether he was married to a daughteer of Lord Lothston, or one of his ancestors were, making not his wife but him a claimant to Harrenhal, and after Lothstons were wiped out, it is even possible he may have been the heir to them, granted all before him in the line of succession were Lothstons and dead. He may also have been the son of an offshoot branch like Karstarks and Greystarks are to Starks, again making him a claimant through birth.

As for the topic I didn't post there on purpose; I opened that topic to make a suggestion on not which houses should be cadets of which, but to change the way how they are formed.
Corvo the Crow

Return to General Discussion