A GAME OF THRONES
A Total Conversion Mod for Crusader Kings II
Download A Game of Thrones v0.3: HERE (17/08/2012)
Compatible with: CK2 1.06b
Warning: This is a BETA version, so it might (in fact, it will most likely) contain bugs and unfinished features!
Make sure you delete your old mod files before unzipping the new version!
In a land where summers last for years and winters last for decades, nine great families struggle for control of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. Take control of a noble house, from the Starks of Winterfell to the Lannisters of Casterly Rock, and win the Iron Throne!
But remember, winter is coming.
Patch 0.3 Notes
Yes, lords and ladies, it's the scenario you've all been waiting for. At long last, it is time to take a side in the War of Five Kings, and decide the fate of Westeros once and for all. Here's an overview of our the changes:
- Two new scenarios: "The Greyjoy Rebellion" and "A Clash of Kings". Warning: The "A Clash of Kings" scenario contains plot spoilers for A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings and Seasons One and Two of HBO's Game of Thrones.
- A complete overhaul of the Megawar system, now allowing for multiple simultaneous rebellions against the Iron Throne - and potentially dire consequences for the rebels if they fail.
- Potential Wildling invasions of the South, and a number of Night's Watch improvements to go with them.
- Improved Trials-by-Combat: Not only are they now handled by the duel engine, but you're no longer the only lord who'll ever have to deal with them.
- A number of improvements to the high politics of Westeros, including an option for dealing with Lords Paramount who are growing just a bit too powerful for the king's liking.
- Powerful R'hlloric magic for those who choose to follow the Red God.
- City Watches for Westeros's major cities.
- Several minor changes - cosmetic changes, a few new traits, balance changes and bug fixes.
- Giant flying lizards what breathe fire.
We're pretty confident that this build is one hundred percent not balanced, but we still think it's in a state worthy of release. We'll be especially looking forward to feedback on balancing the Clash of Kings scenario. Our next release will obviously focus at least somewhat on fixing issues reported in this one, but we also have a smorgasbord of planned new features that didn't quite make it into this release. You all still have plenty to look forward to.
Cabezaestufa: (Project Leader) Map creator, General Coding Support, Events, DNA, Balancing, Bugfixing, North Content, Misc. Graphics, Team Management.
Scripting & Coding:
Knuckey: Events, Reach Work, General Coding Support, Bugfixing, Bastard-Names, Nightswatch, Maesters, Tournies, "Megawars" and Trials By Combat
Rodri: Event, General Coding Support, Bugfixing, Dynasty tracing, Trial by Combat, Hereditary Valyrian Swords, New Ambitions.
Sunspear: Coding, Events, Riverland Content, Bugfixing, Positioning Tool, Balancing, misc. Graphics, Household Guard , Dragons.
Galle: Events, Reach Work, General Coding Support, Bugfixing, DND, Localisation, Fighting Traits and the Duel Engine, New Plots, AI Work, Wildlings and the Night's Watch
Zarine: General Coding Support, New Battle System, Translations, Bugfixing.
Ogaburan (Ran Miller): Events, Westerland & Frey, Minor Families Filler, DNA, New Education System, Kingsguard, Knights, Bugfixing, Balancing, Misc. Graphics.
Stiener (DanJonMin): CoA placeholders, Events, Iron Islands content, Localization, Misc. Graphics.
Wolfgang Pauli: Maintenance Events, Rescue CB, Testing, CoA Graphics.
Etel: Grell-conversion Work.
Riso: Merged features from mods like CK2+ and Better Rebels, Misc. Coding.
HuskyWolf: Scripted a bit and added some traits.
Edric_Storm: Dynasty CoA Artist, Dynamic CoA Generator Graphics (higher res, new designs), New CoA Templates (fabric banner versions).
Peuri: Portrait Graphics (including concept and design).
dauncosony: Portrait Graphics (including concept and design).
Velho e Bom Joe: City models and textures.
HMAS-Nameless: CoA, misc. graphics.
Molleby: CoA placeholders.
Narf: Iconography & Testing.
Smoesville: Event pictures
Amok: Much of his artwork used for event pictures: http://en.amokanet.ru/gallery
StGeorge: Icons & Loading Screens
Regional Character & Title Allocations:
the_hdk: Crownlands Content, CoA graphics.
ThePiglet: Dornish Content.
Hroppa: Vale content.
AlecTrevelyan006: Stormlands content, DNA, CoA placeholders.
Helios Ra: Some initial Stormland content.
Jazthesentinel: Some initial Stormland content.
Maginor: Some initial Riverlands content.
Hobbes MkII: Historical character histories
Chrisjm89: Historical character histories.
Tompalmer: Historical corrections and community management.
Clash of Kings Scenario:
Tompalmer: Scenario Design Lead
Mug bubule: Scenario Design
Nacodaco: Scenario Design, Scenario Histories
Knuckey: Scenario Coding
Hobbes MkII: Scenario Histories
C_moore: Scenario Histories
HuskyWolf: Scenario Histories and poor grammar
Translations & Localization:
Lord Riusma (Official French translation of the Books)
Special Thanks To:
Grell74 for his original Crusader Kings mod, from which we took many things (spoiler warning)
Paradox Interactive for their great game
George R. R. Martin for his awesome books
Culturally Different Cities for our Dornish city graphics.
Friends and Foes for trait ideas & iconography templates
The Prince and the Thane for some of our ambitions
Alphanos's shortcuts mod
La Garde de Nuite for help with the French translation.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is this?
A Game of Thrones is a total conversion mod for Crusader Kings II, based on George R. R. Martin's fantasy novel series, A Song of Ice and Fire.
Who can I play?
You can play as any landed feudal noble in Westeros, any Wildling warlord, or the Night's Watch.
You can play as a holy order?
Yes. Although they're still something of a work-in-progress.
What are some of the new features?
Knights, Maesters, our new "Megawar" system for handling civil wars, the Night's Watch, one-on-one duels between characters, several different kinds of magic, and much more.
What scenarios are available?
- Robert's Rebellion, when Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark, Jon Arryn, Hoster Tully, and Tywin Lannister overthrew the Mad King and brought the Targaryen dynasty to an end,
- The Crowned Stag, set in the immediate aftermath of the above, as the reign of King Robert begins,
- The Greyjoy Rebellion, when the Iron Islands fought to be independent of the Iron Throne.
- A Clash of Kings, set at the beginning of the book of the same name (Season Two of the HBO show)
Future releases may contain additional scenarios.
Is Essos in the mod?
No, and it won't be until Paradox makes republics playable and interesting.
I haven't read all the books. Is it safe for me to play this mod?
To a limited extent.
All scenarios contain setting spoilers. If it's really important to you to not know who the Lord of Winterfell in 255 was, we suggest not playing the mod at all. If you only care about avoiding spoilers for the events of the books and show, however, you'll be safe so long as you follow these instructions:
- Don't read the house descriptions on the Game Over screen.
- Don't go mucking around in the mod's source files, especially the character history files.
- Choose your scenario wisely.
Which scenarios contain spoilers?
- War of the Usurper: No Spoilers
- The Crowned Stag: No Spoilers
- The Greyjoy Rebellion: No Spoilers
- A Clash of Kings: Spoilers - A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings (Books) Season One, Season Two (Show)
I have a copy of the HBO show's opening theme what I acquired completely legitimately. How can I use it as my main menu music?
Convert it to .ogg format, move it to your Crusader Kings II\mod\A Game of Thrones\music folder, and rename it crusaderkings2_maintitle
Hey, I noticed some missing shields...
This is technically a beta release.
I'm playing as the North. Why don't I have any boats?
We tried giving the North boats. The Paradox military AI went haywire and spent the entire War of the Usurper taking Ned's troops to the beach instead of actually fighting. So now they're not allowed to have boats anymore.
I'm a Wildling and I have no idea what I'm doing.
The Wildlings don't respect dynastic ties the way Southerners do. They'll only follow strong leaders. The Wildlings receive a free Invasion CB on all their neighbors, and they receive significant military bonuses from having high prestige, but these bonuses come at two dangerous costs. First, Wildling provinces are ruled only at the Wildlings' pleasure. Anger the people too much, and you may find a revolt on your hands. Second, don't expect any higher-tier titles you create to outlast you - Wildling higher lordships and kingdoms dissolve on their rulers' deaths. As a Wildling, you'll find that power is easy to gain, and much more difficult to keep.
I am a French speaker, why are the dynasty names in English?
For french users: si vous voulez jouer avec les dynasties traduites, rendez vous dans A Game of Thrones/Traduction dynastie/FAQ où vous trouverez la démarche à suivre pour jouer avec les noms des Maisons en français.
I'm making a CK2 mod and would like to use your Duel Engine, or I'd like to use your Duel Engine as a standalone mod.
We've released a generic, de-Westerosified version of the Duel Engine as a standalone mod here. Please remember to give us credit.