True Dragons: A Song of Fire and Blood

Post your mod AARs and stories here

Re: True Dragons: A Song of Fire and Blood

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sat Apr 08, 2017 22:25

Spring Break is here and this AAR is back on. Hopefully Aegon does better than I did in the programming competition and honor band.

Another update should be out tonight. I have a feeling you will enjoy it (I hope).
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sun Apr 09, 2017 04:02

Chapter Five - An Unholy Lie

“Jon. In our little... duel in Maegor's Holdfast... You said you wanted to avenge... me.” Aegon sat across from his mentor and adoptive father, his hands resting on his knees. Jon sat across from him, avoiding eye contact with his king.

“It was nothing.” Jon's voice was cold. Colder than usual. “Can we move on.”

“I need to know you will never betray me again.” Aegon replied, his own tone becoming harsh. “You are either on my side or not.” And I don't know what I would do without you, Jon.

“I am on you side, your grace, I never left.” Jon's hard exterior finally cracked. The two men embraced. “I am sorry, your grace. But I loved him. I loved your father.”

And Aegon finally understood HOW Jon had loved Rhaegar. He didn't judge Jon, he couldn't. Connington was the only true father he had ever known.

“Ser Terrence. Lord Commander Rolly has high thoughts of you.” Aegon began. He was on the wall, near the King's Gate where his men had broken into King's Landing. The minimal damage done to the city was mostly repaired, and the gate was strong and well-manned by the remaining knights of the company that had joined the city watch.

The gate below was open, and Pentoshi ships were landing supplies for the city outside of the gate. It would have been so much easier if the Mudd Gate hadn't been practically destroyed in the battle. In the siege of the city, while the main stores of Wildfire had been prevented from igniting by Ser Loras, the Mudd gate garrison had been rearmed with Wildfire. The Royal Targaryen Fleet - given to Aegon courtesy of Lord Monterys Velaryon, who had switched sides mid-siege - had been for all intents and purposes, destroyed by this nasty little surprise.

“I'm sure he does, your grace, we've been doing a lot of drinking together since your grace arrived in the city.”

“Let me cut right to the chase, Ser Terrence. You have served the City Watch faithfully for five years. What would you say if I asked you to serve on my Kingsguard?” Egg asked.

“Every little boy wants to grow up and be on the Kings Guard, your grace. I would be honored and accept.”

Aegon sat on Shadow, looking out over his host. He had nine thousand men, Stannis Baratheon had four thousand men on hand, and another ten thousand on their way south under the command of his lord of the North, the Bastard of Winterfell, Jon Snow. His requests to parley with the brother of the Usurper had been denied, and instead Stannis had sent him a letter denouncing him as a pretender and a usurper, repeatedly making use of the phrase “false dragon”. Funny, I had been prepared to confirm him in the Stormlands, Aegon thought.

I'll give the title to Jon, then. Won't tell him until after the battle. It'll be my surprise. He will have the hand of Stannis' daughter as well, to secure his hold on the title. House Baratheon may die, but the line of the Durrandon need not.

The battle had been joined. Despite being outnumbered three to one, Stannis had taken the offensive. It was a slaughter. Aegon repulsed his armies thrice, and it had become quite pointless. He sat atop his horse as it returned to their lines from his most recent counter-charge. Jon, Rolly, and Brienne were beside him, his most trusted men. And women, he thought. There had been a minor complaint from Rolly about the Maid's induction to the sworn brotherhood, but that complaint ended cold when she beat him in a duel with blunted blades. Four times consecutively. Since then, and after her saving his life from Lannister agents thrice in the city, everybody had grown quite content in her being by his side. Though she is ugly as a rock, she is good with a sword and her heart is true. Brienne's father had remarried in the two years since Aegon's landing, and his new wife was pregnant with child. With his concerns about his succession dealt with, he congratulated his daughter on her appointment and thanked the king.

Harry approached from the right where he had recently repelled a cavalry charge. “Your Grace, they are ready to crack. One more push along the entire front and I think they will rout.”

“Thank you for the advice, Ser. Get your mounted knights ready to charge.”

The thunder of hooves beating against the cold, hard ground was deafening. Aegon Targaryen was dressed in battle armor not unlike that of his father, Prince Rhaegar, with a dragon helm adorned with two red dragon wings where the ears were. It had been custom-made by a smith from King's Landing who had found himself in royal employ after the two Company Smiths had killed each other in a bar fight. Here's to hoping it is as good of quality as the old man said. The charge shattered the Baratheon defenses, which were already on the verge of collapse prior to the charge.

Aegon's steed pierced through the wall of Baratheon men as he cut them down one after another. The men had orders to spare any who lay down their arms and surrender, though it didn't look like that was going to happen.

The fighting raged all around the group. It had grown fiercer than before. Jon cut down three more Baratheon men. The king was getting separated from his guard.

The royal party was piercing deeper and deeper into Baratheon lines. It was now Aegon saw what had happened. He had fallen plainly into Stannis' trap! Arrows began to fall around him, and two Targaryen knights fell from their horses with arrows stuffed all through their bodies. All Young Griff could do is keep fighting.

Stannis Baratheon sat on his warhorse beside Ser Rolland Storm, the Bastard of Nightsong. The self-proclaimed Baratheon king turned to Storm. “Are you ready to earn your legitimacy?”

“Yes, your grace.”

Stannis Baratheon rode away to join the knights on their way to the front where he would be in the thickest fighting.

“Okay you sorry archers, time to prove your worth!”

Oh Gods, I hate fucking arrows! Aegon Targaryen swerved to avoid them as he cut down more Baratheon men.

Jon, seeing the archers gathered on the hill, prepared himself and three knights to take the archers. “Charge!”

The slope was gentle, but at it's top it still placed the Stormlander troops at an advantage compared to the Targaryens, who had crossed a small branch of the Trident. Aegon and Rolly charged up to the bottom of the hill. The entire group of archers directed their fire at him. Oh fuck.

Jon saw them concentrate their fire on Aegon and knew who must be commanding the archers. He reached the summit and began cutting archers down. The men tried to flee, but Jon wouldn't allow it.

Rolland Storm approached on foot. “Face me on even ground, traitor.”

I don't have to... Jon pondered, but decided to fight on fair terms. Rolland's honor was unquestionable, even as a bastard, and Jon had heard the tales of his heroism. The remaining archers fled into the fighting, which had devolved into a slaughter all around the hill.

“If you surrender, Aegon will show you mercy. Bend the knee and you will have a lordship.” Jon started.

“Stannis Baratheon is the true king. House Targaryen forfeited that right when Aerys demanded the heads of Robert and Ned.” The Bastard of Nightsong returned.

“Then it begins.”

And Rolland lunged.

Storm's long sword clashed against Jon's. The blades flew back and forth in a flurry entirely uncommon in regular duels as two of the most gifted warriors on the field battled it out. Jon ducked and kicked Rolland back, attempting to plunge his blade into the heart of the bastard, but Rolland regained his footing and side-stepped the attack. He noticed a weak spot in Jon's defense. It's all I need... the bastard thought.

The pain was unbearable. It was quick, and cut through his abdomen like a hot knife in butter. I have failed you, Aegon. I have failed you. Jon thought as he fell to his knees. The ringing, and screaming of battle became quiet. He looked up to Rolland, who stood above him, still grasping the blade buried in his gut, then to the right. And he saw Aegon.

Rolland followed his gaze and saw the Targaryen monarch. He then noticed that three out of every four men around him were Targaryen, and knew the battle was lost for Stannis.

Blood welled up from Jon's stomach and lungs, and burst from his lips, darkening his red beard. I am sorry, Egg. And he fell to the ground, gargling in his own blood as Rolland Storm turned to flee.

“NO!” Egg shouted, seeing his adoptive father fall to Rolland. “SHADOW! NOW!” and he pushed his horse as fast as it would go, cutting down two Baratheon men and one of his own to reach his fallen friend.

His horse came to an immediate stop, and he was almost thrown from his saddle in his hurry to dismount. Ignoring the battle raging in every direction, he cut another dismounted Baratheon knight down, ducking from his blow and slipping Blackfyre through his defense and into his chest, before pulling the blade free.

Aegon knelt next to Jon, the blood of his friend soaking the monarch's leg and hastily removed his helmet, heaving it into the mass of men at the bottom of the hill, resting Blackfyre beside them. The world around them became quiet, a blur.

“Jon, no, don't die on me!” Aegon cried, tears welling in his eyes, his gut twisting in denial and sorrow. Jon looked up at him and smiled, the blood in his mouth mixing in with his saliva and coating his teeth, staining them a crimson red. Another cough sent Jon's phlegm out onto his ward and his own armor. Aegon didn't care, wiping it off with his right hand.

“I was wrong about you.” Another cough. “I was wrong to doubt you, Egg.”

“It doesn't matter,” Aegon replied, fresh tears falling onto his friend. He found it difficult to speak, the emotion was overwhelming.

“No, Aegon. I was wrong. Thank you for saving me. From myself, in the Red Keep.” Cough. “You will be the greatest king since Jaehaerys the Conciliator. I know it.” Cough. Cough.

“Don't say it like that, you'll live to see it!” Aegon's voice was growing desperate.

Jon let out a half-hearted, bitter but resigned laugh. Full of sorrow, but also a kind of contentment. “No, lad, I won't. It is better this way.” Another cough, then a gurgle as Jon strugled to breathe. “I always loved you. You were like a son to me, Egg. I just wanted to...” Connington went into a violent fit of coughing. “I just...” Another fit of coughing.

“You just what? Jon! Griff!” But it was to no avail. Only silence.

Jon, of the House Connington, Hand of the King and friend of Rhaegar Targaryen, guardian of Aegon, Sixth of His Name of the House Targaryen, took his last breath on the field at Riverbend. And for the first time in his life, Aegon knew the true pain of loss.

Egg's memory of the events that transpired after the death of Jon were hazy. The battle had been won, of that much he was certain. He walked silently with Brienne and Rolly on either side of him. They had left their horses on the field. We'll get them later. It's only a short walk. In Egg's right hand, the same one he had last touched Connington with, was Blackfyre. He held the blade lazily, swinging it gently by his side as he walked. The pain had yet to abate, and he had refused any conversation for fear of bursting into tears. I must be strong, I am the blood of the dragon. I must, he thought as he walked.

The group arrived at the command tent exhausted both emotionally and physically. A soldier had relayed to Aegon that Stannis had escaped the battle and was last seen fleeing for Dragonstone. Another had informed him that Illyrio Mopatis was visiting from across the Narrow Sea and requested his presence. A friend who understands.

Rolly was a hard man, a much harder man than Illyrio. Though Rolly understood the king's loss, he had no words of comfort for him. Illyrio, however, was an excellent diplomat and could undoubtedly help bring his mind from the death of Jon.

Egg entered the command tent where he had been told Illyrio was waiting. He had since sheathed his blade, and had rinsed Jon's blood out of his silver hair as best as he could to appear half way presentable.

Illyrio was setting in a chair padded with cushions shaded to resemble the coat of arms of Pentos, an obvious product of that Free City. Aegon sat in the nearest plain chair.

“Your grace, I hear the battle went well,” Illyrio began, his tone jovial. He poured himself a cup of wine from a flask hidden in his cloak, offering Aegon some with a quick look. Aegon declined politely, with a serious tone on his face.

How do I tell him this?

“Have your tutors ever told you the tale of Aegor Bittersteel?”

Aegon nodded in the affirmative. “He supported the Blackfyre pretenders until his death.” The reply was plain.

Illyrio nodded, continuing on a completely different topic. “Your mother was an amazing woman. Wanted the world for you.”

How would he know my mother? She died before they could have met.

Illyrio observed the confused, stern look on Egg's face. “Of course, of course. I am getting ahead of myself. But bear with me. She wanted the world for you, and she made me promise that I would give it.” He paused, taking a sip of the wine, then grinning, staring for just a moment at the golden liquid. “Arbor Gold. A symbol of...”

“Deceit,” Aegon finished for him. I don't like where this conversation is going. But I must know.

“Have you pieced it together yet? Are we so dissimilar? And the sword, the Golden Company. The silver hair and purple eyes. The features we share. Aegon, you are my son.”

Egg had deduced as much by this point in the conversation, but the words hurt him more than anything else. Almost as much as Jon's death. It felt as if he had been stabbed, and the knife was being twisted around in his gut.

“Aegon, your mother was no Dornish woman, and thank the gods for that, if there are any. Your mother was Serra Blackfyre, a great, great grand-daughter of Aegor Bittersteel and Calla Blackfyre. Varys is your uncle. You are no Targaryen. You are the last of the Black Dragons, and you have reclaimed your rightful place on the Iron Throne.”

Aegon reached over to the table and grabbed the Arbor Gold, which Illyrio had returned to the table, and opened it. Then, Aegon Targaryen took a deep, long, miserable sip from the flask. This can't be happening! he thought.

Last edited by JDSweet on Sun Apr 09, 2017 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
JDSweet

PostPosted by Flamequeen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 04:55

Holy shit that was a good chapter! Please keep writing this!

On another note please make Aegon a blackfyre instead of hiding the truth (which I think is the second option for the event?). It would be awesome to see Aegon and his descendants fight Dany and her descendents in future wars. I love the conflict between Blackfyres and Targs and this way you could tame one of Dany's dragons after she dies and have a dance of dragons with her heirs :)

Edit: and please let Jon bend the knee afater you defeat Stannis. Only a Stark can rule in Winterfell. Try and find a way to put the Tullys back in Riverrun too.
'To be or not to be? That is the question' - Shakespeare
Flamequeen

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sun Apr 09, 2017 14:07

FlameQueen wrote:Holy shit that was a good chapter! Please keep writing this!

On another note please make Aegon a blackfyre instead of hiding the truth (which I think is the second option for the event?). It would be awesome to see Aegon and his descendants fight Dany and her descendents in future wars. I love the conflict between Blackfyres and Targs and this way you could tame one of Dany's dragons after she dies and have a dance of dragons with her heirs :)

Edit: and please let Jon bend the knee afater you defeat Stannis. Only a Stark can rule in Winterfell. Try and find a way to put the Tullys back in Riverrun too.

Thanks. Unfortunately I am about ten years ahead of this chapter again, so I can't really change anything at this point. I'll try to let the AAR catch up tp the game so I can better respond to requests.

On making Aegon a Blackfyre:

Spoiler: show
I originally was going to do this, but the option to make Aegon a Blackfyre bugged out and didn't assign his parents, which entirely ruined the family tree (it was a bug in the game, I think). So unfortunately he will remain a legal Targaryen. That said I am not too disappointed with this as it is more realistic and the Blackfyres, however cool their sigil and characters, have a way less royal sounding name which doesn't IMO sound well with names like "Aegon". And who said anything about me needing to be a Blackfyre for some sort of conflict to occur? :)

On A Second Dance

I will only say this: Dany is none to pleased with news of Egg.

On Sparing Jon

He has a high opinion of Egg and he has all of the traits that make vassals avoid factions, so as long as he doesn't cause any realm strife or civil wars he should be fine. Egg plans on letting him bend the knee. Also he married Alys Karstark and she is pregnant with his child which is due soon, so the Stark line will be secure, so even if Jon is a naughty little Stark the North will still pass to his children first, then the Karstarks if Jon's kids are pricks.

On Helping the Tullys

I have mixed feelings on this. Completely unlike the other participants who entered the War of the Usurper against Aerys, the Tullys appear to have only done it because they wanted revenge for broken betrothals (Prince Duncan Targaryen was betrothed to a Tully but broke it off in favor of a half-mad lowborn peasant). That said Aegon (using console magic) took Riverrun from the Frey's and gave it to Edmure. The Riverlands will remain with Baelish until he pisses me off and gives me a reason to strip his titles. I personally think some of the Lords Paramount need shuffled from the status quo, however, so I intend on leaving Baelish in charge of that region for now. If he rebels I will either give it to the Mudds (who helped Egg in his conquest), Tullys, Blackwoods, or Mallisters, in that order..
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 18:44

Flamequeen wrote:Holy shit that was a good chapter! Please keep writing this!

Also, completely off topic, but are the screenshots for this chapter displaying properly? I ask because they aren't displaying at all on my phone browser, and I post these from my phone since I have no WiFi.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Tue Apr 11, 2017 01:30

Next chapter will be up tomorrow.

Aegon takes a trip to Meereen.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 22:45

Let me first say that writing these is fun, and I will continue as long as I can... But my computer screen was recently destroyed (long story). I have been able to salvage the screenshots from my hard drive, but the save has been lost. This AAR will continue after I find a cheap replacement laptop to edit screenshots with. Unfortunately it will end with the beginning of the reign of Aegon's son.
JDSweet

PostPosted by Uther_Stormcloak » Sat Apr 15, 2017 07:02

Really looking forward to the rest of this story
Uther_Stormcloak

PostPosted by JDSweet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 05:27

Uther_Stormcloak wrote:Really looking forward to the rest of this story

Well I am looking forward to writing it. I guarantee hardly a dull moment during Egg's reign. :-)
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 02:34

Okay, so I have managed to recover a working auto save from my old PC, so the story need not end with the reign of Aegon. It will continue with his sons and grandsons. And I just got my new laptop, so after I get Steam and the correct version of CK2 and the mod installed the story will continue. Probably tomorrow at around 6-8 in my time zone (US central). Just posting to let y'all know this is NOT dead since it has been a while since I last posted. Lots of drama.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sun Apr 23, 2017 20:32

Chapter Six – A Dragon Born

Aegon sat at the table long into the night, long after he had ordered Illyrio thrown out of the camp. Long after he had ordered the arrest of Lord Varys. Long after he had personally commanded that his Kingsguard returned to their tents and leave him be for the night. The wine flask that Illyrio had brought to the table was empty, lying sideways on the table. Egg's mind was still racing from the events of the day, trying to come to terms with the events that had led to everything becoming so much more complicated.

I fought the battle, Aegon began internally. I was separated from my guard and nearly killed by archers – again – and Jon saved me, at the cost of his own life. The irony was not lost on Aegon. A Blackfyre... he thought. I am a Blackfyre... that explains my seeming fondness for being shot by archers, he mused dryly, recalling that The Black Dragon and his twins Aegon and Aemon were both killed by arrows fired by their loyalist uncle Brynden. And Aegor Bittersteel fell to an archer company in the Free Cities.

Egg briefly debated killing himself, but quickly discarded that idea after recalling his pregnant wife. And Westeros does not know... Only I... It could stay that way.

Egg's thoughts were interrupted by Rolly, who peeked into the tent. The Targaryen host was to endure a forced march to the capital to board a hastily-assembled sell-sail fleet for Dragonstone, and the sun was rising. “Your grace, I hate to interrupt, but this is rather urgent. The Loyalist Lords Cave and Boggs have died in the battle with no near kin. Lord Snow is camping in Harrenhal as we speek and...”

Aegon, sitting atop Shadow, had come to a conclusion. The realm would not follow him if it knew of his true bloodline. The story concocted by his father and uncle would be sufficient to ensure his validity could not be disproven. The thought that Jon died fighting for a lie would haunt him until the day he himself he died, but as Jon had once said, the past is in the past, and the future was what he would make it, and the future need not be marred by the tragedy that had scarred the realm in the past. The gates of King's Landing came into sight from the distance. Soon Stannis Baratheon, whom all of the pardoned Varys' “little birds” had agreed had fled to Dragonstone, would learn the nature of the words of his house.

Tommen, whom Aegon had taken as a food taster (and a hostage against his mother's family) and his sister Myrcella who was serving as a lady in waiting for the restored royal court, were sitting in a corner talking. Two guards entered the tent, one on either side of a lady of golden hair. “Your grace, the traitor Cersei Lannister would like to speak to you.”

Aegon nodded. “You may leave, Sers, I can handle it from here. Aegon partially drew Blackfyre to show the guards he was capable of defending himself before sheathing the blade.

“What may I do for you, Lady Lannister?”

Myrcella and Tommen turned their heads up to watch the situation unfold. Myrcella had made Aegon promise not to harm her mother, much to his hesitance, but he couldn't bring himself to kill the mother of such a kind girl, and no matter how wicked the deeds Cersei had committed, they were against the treasonous Baratheons, not House Targaryen, and the woman could not be punished for the murders of her own father Tywin. Lady Cersei had instead been allowed to inherit the West, designate a regent, and serve as an “honored guest” in the King's court with her children.

Cersei's voice was venom. “Your grace.” She stressed the “s” to make it sound like a hiss. “By right of birth and blood, I hereby demand a trial by combat, as it is obvious I cannot count on you for justice.”

The command tent was shocked into silence. Aegon broke it. “Are you sure, Lady Lannister? If your champion fails, I will have no choice but to punish you for your crimes against the Baratheons. Given the severity, that will mean your head.”

“I am sure!” She replied. “Ser Lyonel Frey will be my champion.” A man of no more than 18 stepped forward from the group of commanders in the tent. “Aye, I will stand for her.”

“We meet at midday. The champion of the crown will by Loras Tyrell, the Knight of Flowers.”

The prideful, arrogant look on the Lioness's face disappeared and the color drained from her face.

“Mother, NO!” Myrcella shouted, unable to control herself any longer, but Cersei did not respond, and instead walked out of the tent with her champion following close behind.

Ser Lyonel Frey lay in a bloody heap, dead on the dirt of the ring, the cold air causing the blood flowing from his neck to begin coagulating. Ser Loras Tyrell bowed to the king, before leaving the makeshift ring. The entire camp was watching, gathered around, pressing to see the ring and the king when he reached his verdict.

Myrcella stood behind him, crying, being comforted by her brother Tommen. She turned to Aegon. “Please spare her. Make her a silent sister or something, but please don't kill her.” Egg felt bitter inside. On the one had, the woman was a whore even by Dornish standards (according to Arianne) and she had already attempted to seduce the king, Ser Rolly, and Ser Rory in order to escape her pre-trial imprisonment. On the other, the king had grown rather fond of Myrcella's company as a person, because she was a very witty little girl and had a compassion that few raised royally could possess.

“I, Aegon, Sixth of My Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm do hereby sentence you to die.” He looked towards the twins behind him, before continuing. “You have a week to say your goodbyes and make peace with your children and the gods. May the Seven have mercy on you, for I surely cannot. In that time you will have free leave to wander the camp and Red Keep wherever you please so long as you keep a knight of the Kingsguard by you at all times.”

“Your brother Tyrion, for his good advice to me in Volantis, will be given the Westerlands, and your two daughters by Daven Lannister will be passed over in the line of succession.”

Jaime Lannister, the Kingslayer, the Dishonorable, the Demon of Riverrun, was kneeling in front of the Iron Throne. Beside him stood Ser Rolly Duckfield and Ser Jonos, the newest addition to the royal Kingsguard. Seated on the Iron Throne, Aegon was resplendent in his royal garment.

“Ser Jaime Lannister, you stand accused of high treason and heinous dishonor, the breaking of your oaths time and again, the murder of a sworn brother of the Kingsguard, Ser Terrence, and the attempted murder of your king. Have you anything to say before I pass judgment?”

Jaime was quiet, not responding. Rolly slammed the hilt of his blade into Jaime's back, causing the latter to fall to the floor. Another moment passed before he brought himself back up. Eyeing King Aegon with contempt, he spoke up. “Does it matter?” He pushed himself to his feet, earning himself the ireful look of Ser Rolly, but Aegon waved his leal knight off from the abuse he was going to subject Jaime to. He is already missing one of his hands, and the other is broken. He is of no danger to me, and his pride is all he has left.

“Then I stand ready to pass judgment. Before I do, you must know that I have learned of the Wildfire plot you saved the city from, but the murder of the king was not necessary, only his incapacitation. Furthermore, any crimes you have committed in your campaign in Riverrun are pardoned due to the fact that it was war. That leaves your disregard of your vow to defend I and my deceased sister, as well as your murder of Ser Terrence.” Aegon paused for a breath. “While I could sentence you to death for any single one of these acts, and indeed it will be viewed as weakness if I do not, I have received requests from those on my Kingsguard as well as your bastard children to spare your life. I therefore, with no other viable option, do give you the choice to take the Black or lose your head.”

The court was silent. They had expected Aegon to simply declare the Kingslayer a traitor and lop off his head. Always fun to defy expectations, Egg mused.

“I choose to take the Black. When do I leave.”

“A week. You will have time to say your goodbyes to your children.”

The Castle had fallen quickly and without much of a fight. The men of Westeros, even those most loyal and honorable, knew a lost cause when they saw one. And Stannis Baratheon was just that. It would be a Rhllor king with common features and the support of only one (the least populous) kingdom, against the rest of the war-torn realm. The lords of Dragonstone had delivered Baratheon chained and gagged after a bloody coup within the walls of the ancient Targaryen fortress-island. And with that the war was finally over.

Aegon had returned to the capital after his campaign to find a massive Northern host besieging his impoverished city. After his showing Stannis Baratheon to it's leader, Lord Jon Stark, it had laid down arms and allowed traffic into the city. Jon Snow and the other leaders of Stannis' rebellion as well as Baratheon himself now sat in the council chamber, awaiting judgment.

Egg entered the room, nodding the guards off, claiming a seat at the front. “Lords gathered here today, you stand accused of high treason against the crown. It has been repeatedly raised by my council that I should lop off your heads and call it a day...” Aegon paused, looking around at the facial reactions of the lords. Some were terrified, some angry, but among them all, only one was indifferent – Lord Stark.

“However, in the interest of binding the realm back together, I pardon you all, save for one. Lords Chyttering, Farring, Meadows, Massey, Follard, and...” He eyed Jon. “Stark. You will be allowed to renew your oaths of fealty, give the throne a hostage, and return home.”

He turned to Stannis. “You will be kept imprisoned under the Red Keep. You and your future get, if you have any, are hereby attained and disinherited, and all your titles shall return to the crown to be handed out to leal lords. The Stormlands will be handed to Lord Paramount Raymund Connington, and your daughter Shireen wed to him to secure his claim.”

Aegon knelt in the Great Sept praying to the Seven with the High Septon.

“I hear your grace plans to give the West to the kinslayer, Tyrion the Imp.”

“You hear right, your holiness. He has done me a great good.”

The two raised up from the altar to the Mother and proceeded to that of the Father.

“If I may ask, what great good is it that pardons him from the heinous act of kinslaying?”

“I wouldn't say it pardons him, Your Holiness, but I do advocate in rewarding acts of good and punishing the vile separately, treating each as though the other has no bearing. At least that is what I was taught across the Narrow Sea.”

The High Septon turned to look at His Grace, kneeling in front of the altar. Aegon followed suit. “And what is the punishment for kinslaying?” His Holiness asked.

“Death. But with your agreement, I would like to commute that down to his handing over his niece as a hostage.” Aegon replied. “Loyal lords are hard to come by, and it is my intention to end the bloodshed in the realm, and to do that, I cannot have long regencies over vast portions of it.”

“And you would have me...”

“Allow him back into the Faith on the condition that he makes a walk of repentance.”

Lords Swift and Ashermark knelt before the Iron Throne, giving fealty to the king. “Rise,” Aegon began. “I get ever so tired of looking down upon my subjects. Why have you come here? Not for the wine, I suppose,” Aegon said, pointing out the lack of alcoholic beverages the city had been experiencing of late.

Lord Harys Swift spoke up. “We have been leal to our lieges for decades, your grace, but the man you named our liege troubles us. He murdered his own father in cold blood. We cannot...” He gulped. “We will not bow before him. Name any Lannister as his replacement, or any man in general. We would rather follow a commoner over a kinslayer.”

“You will not? As in, you are refusing a command of your king?”

“No your grace, it's just...”

“Then you will?”

“No, but...”

Aegon laughed. “Make up your mind, Ser, should I lop off your head or send you home to your family.” If looks could kill, my dear “aunt” would inherit the throne.

“Your armies will return home, Lord Swift, or you will feel the full might of the Iron Throne descend upon you. Lord Lannister will take no action against you, and neither will you against him. This matter is settled, your king has made his decision.”

Lancel Lannister sat on his lion-adorned chair in Darry. Before him were two knights of the Kingsguard, the lowborn Ser Jonos the Red and Ser Rory Valkyn, as well as the bastard Ser Willamen Rivers, last of the Darry bloodline.

“We bring a message from his grace,” Rivers said, handing a scroll to Lannister, who quickly devoured the piece of text.

“He can't do this!” Lancel shouted.

“Oh, he can and he has,” one of the Ser Jonos the Red of the Kingsguard said.

“This is Tyranny!” Lancel shouted. His knights bowed to Rivers, now Darry.

“You can keep the High Lordship, but you must find a new seat. Darry is mine.” Rivers said. The knights formerly sworn to Lord Lannister and the Darrys before him escorted Lancel out of the castle as well as his small Western retinue.

The small council room was empty, save for Aegon, the recently released Spymaster Varys, Gorys Edoryen, Master at Arms Rolly Duckfield, the Master of Laws and Hand of the King Prince Doran, and the pregnant Queen Arianne.

“We will need Daenerys' dragons. But I cannot marry her,” Aegon started, his voice tired. Ruling was hard, ruling well even harder. Egg had recently returned from the Blackwood Vale where he had personally put down a rebellion by Lord Bracken, who was attempting to end House Blackwood and seize their titles. He had also had to deal with the Tullys, who had seized Riverrun from the Freys and were hell-bent on reclaiming the Trident from Lord Baelish. Only a threat of royal intervention stayed Blackfish and Edmure's hand. Along the way, the Targaryen host had hung thousands of robber knights and slavers from the trees to clear the roads for traffic, and during the entire march peasants and minor lords petitioned Aegon for audiences and addressed him with their grievances. Though he found the stories interesting at first, and enjoyed passing judgments, it quickly grew tiring.

“Well, you could, but you would have to put the Dornish wench aside,” Gorys said, pointing at Arianne. The insult made Doran grip the armrests of his seat in anger.

“I hear that tongues have a tendency towards removal,” Arianne said, drawing a dagger. Aegon placed a hand on her shoulder, stopping her from carrying out her threats. “He is not worth it,” Aegon whispered into her ear.

Rolly broke the awkward silence. “My opinion on the matter is that Daenerys is no threat. She is caught up in her wars in the Free Cities, and her crusade against slavery will be her downfall.”

“My little birds report that the dragon Queen was wroth upon hearing of your taking the throne... Some say she fed the messenger to her dragons.” Varys spoke up, sipping at a cup of wine.

“We could try and win her trust,” Jonos said. “Send a knight of the kingsguard to protect her.”

“And if she still invades? She will have one more knight by her side and Aegon will have one less.” Edoryen shouted.

Harry Strickland entered the room, his clothing half on. Turning to Aegon he began to apologize for his lateness, but the monarch waved it off and gestured for him to join them when he got his shirt on. I wonder what he did last night?

“I could go ask for a dragon,” Aegon joked, but Varys stopped him.

“That is a great idea...”

“It is?” Gorys interrupted.

“It is.” Varys confirmed, retrieving a piece of parchment to sketch out something.

When he was finished, he pushed the paper to the center of the table, showing the council. “This is a map of Essos,” he started. “Daenerys is here, besieging Astapor” Varys pointed to an area south from Meereen on the map. “Daenerys is hiring mercenaries, or so my birds say...” He looked at his king. “I suggest you form a small army of maybe eight hundred knights and go to Meereen claiming to be sellswords.” Storm the Great Pyramid, secure it, and in the chaos that follows mount one of her dragons and...”

“Fly out.” Doran interrupted. “What of the knights who accompany him?”

“He can provide them cover from the air. Give them a way to escape.”

Aegon thought about it for a moment. “You are crazy. Many Targaryens were unable to tame dragons at all. What if I am like them and I face a dragon?”

“That is a risk I think you will have to take, your grace.” Harry replied. “I will have my most trusted commanders draw out the plans. Also, we need to get an official coronation for you. The makeshift coronation we gave you shortly after you took the capital will not do for the long term. I will arrange one for when you return. The High Septon seems to like you, which is a good sign.”

“In that case, it might be a good idea to send a knight to Daenerys, to throw her off about any plans against her,” Doran said.

“Aye, I nominate Ser Jonos the Red,” Rolly said.

“As do I,” Doran agreed.

“And I,” Gorys voiced.

“Then it is settled. I'll give the order as soon as this session of the council ends,” Aegon said.

Aegon stood beside his wife as she passed the child to him. It was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, and he was overcome with emotion. “What should we name him?” Aegon asked. Varys was standing away from the two, to the side.

“If I may make a suggestion, your grace, whatever it is should be a traditional Targaryen name. May I suggest Rhaegar?”

“You may make that suggestion, Varys, but I need not follow it.” Aegon took a minute to think about it, as he rocked the child in his arms. “Jon,” he said. “For my fallen friend and mentor. Little Jon.” And it was decided.

Aegon Targaryen now had more at stake than just his life. That of his son was at stake as well. He left the docks for Meereen with renewed determination to get what he was leaving for and to return alive. Beside him Rolly stood, as loyally as ever, as he prepared to go on what very well could be the biggest and most important adventure of his life.

The ships docked in Meereen, flying the banners of a make-believe sellsword company. Aegon did not wear the royal regalia of his ancestors, but something more reminiscent of the tattered shirts and torn pants of his youth. His hair dyed blue, he was the first to leave the ship for land, followed by Rolly and a column of similarly-dressed soldiers. He was greeted by a dark-skinned man who spoke in the bastard Valyrian of the Ghiscari. Recognizing a few words, Aegon continued in the Pentosi dialect that he knew best, though the man was having a hard time understanding him.

A translator arrived after a moment who spoke decent Pentosi Valyrian. “We are the Fellowship of the Five,” Aegon said, answering the man's question as to who they are. The translator relayed this to the man, who was apparently the dock manager. “We are here to offer our swords to your Queen.”

“Right, this way, the translator said, following the dock manager. The column of knights, eight hundred strong, followed close behind, getting stares from nearby merchants and whores.

Aegon stood at the entrance to the dragon pit, Ser Rolly beside him. Meereen was not well-defended, given the position of Daenerys' armies in the south, and the army had easily-enough captured the main gate and the streets all the way to the Great Pyramid. Now, Aegon was preparing to enter the pits. “Wish me luck,” he joked as he descended into the darkness with a torch in hand.

Why in the seven hells did I agree to this plan? Aegon asked himself as he looked for one of the beasts. She has two untamed, where are they? He heard a growl behind him, but when he looked, there was nothing. He stepped on something. Looking down, the color drained from his face as he realized what it was. A skull...

He turned around, and this time he saw it. The beast was nearly triple his size, and its dark green scales made it look almost black in the darkness. It's great eyes almost glowed in the dark, and flames licked its lips. It took a step towards him.

Aegon was unable to move, frozen in terror at what he was seeing. “Oh fuck,” he said, stepping backwards until his spine was pressing against the wall. It approached, getting closer and closer to the terror-struck king. The monster roared, knocking Egg back to his senses. Oh shit. he thought, stepping to the side right before a wave of dragon-flame incinerated the wall he had just been standing against.

Without thinking, he ran under the beast, dancing between it's legs as it roared and attempted to move out of its own way to burn him. Grabbing its tail, Aegon held on for dear life as it swung the appendage around, trying to throw him off. Aegon, despite this, began climbing up, onto its back. Then, after he was seemingly securely positioned, the beast took flight, trying to slam him into the ceiling. Egg ducked and pressed himself against it's warm body, nearly falling off, but somehow managing to cling to a green scale.

The beast continued struggling for another minute, before it landed. “Stop fucking moving,” Aegon ordered in High Valyrian and it... stopped. He began directing it towards the entrance.

“Rolly, if I were you I would get the fuck out and start the men back towards the boats!” Aegon shouted to the men on the surface. “This thing is pissed!”

It cleared the rubble of the pyramid's base, breathing flame into the air, roaring, and following the king's directions. Meerenese soldiers were beginning to rally against the invaders, as evidenced by the skirmish breaking out along the entire length of the main road. “Fly,” Aegon commanded, as the beast used its tail to knock the surrounding Ghiscari to the ground. “Either fly, or we both die,” Aegon continued in Valyrian. And it lifted off.

The green beast, still not sure of its new rider, tried to knock him off, doing a three-sixty in the air, and diving towards the ground seven times before flying straight up. The air became colder, and Aegon held onto the beast for dear life. The ground below became small, and the battle raging in the city looked like a skirmish between ant colonies...

Aegon began having trouble breathing. With all the air he could muster, he shouted: “Dracarys!” and the beast plummeted towards the Earth, shooting jets of red and blue flames into the air it was descending through, forcing Aegon to hug the beast's scales tightly or risk being burned. “Level off, level off,” he ordered right before it slammed into the ground, and the beast obeyed, somehow understanding his Valyrian dialect. The beast flew about a hundred feet above the skirmish now, and Aegon began commanding it and guiding the beast as it shot flame at the Ghiscari allies of its “mother”, paving the way for the Westerosi retreat.

Did I... Aegon thought. Did I... just tame a dragon?

JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Wed May 03, 2017 21:32

Sorry for the long wait, I'll try to get another chapter out this week. I expect I will have more time to write these after school gets out in 2 weeks.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Mon May 15, 2017 22:00

I've been busy lately, I should be able to get another chapter out today. Sorry for the delays/interruptions in the story.
JDSweet

PostPosted by BlackfyreRulz » Mon May 29, 2017 15:41

Nice stories !
cant wait for the future
BlackfyreRulz

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sat Jun 24, 2017 19:14

Okay, I plan to kind of sort of finish this AAR. Up until now I have been giving a lot of screenshots. As a matter of fact, I have over 2000 screenshots on my computer... But they are extremely unorganized, and I honestly don't particularly want to organize them. I have a relatively busy schedule right now, which I will explain in a minute. I have also been trying to elaborate on small, pointless events... I will quit that. If you want to continue following this, I have about 5 or 6 more chapters I will write with minimal screenshots. Things I plan to cover:

1.) War for the Dawn
2.) Subjugation of the Ironborn
3.) Second Dance of the Dragons
4.) Aftermath

And yes, you heard me right. Dany was none too pleased when I tamed Rhaegel, and she is preparing to show me her displeasure. I was originally planning to cover Jon I's reign, but as I said, screenshots are a bitch.

Now, for what has been keeping me up: Highschool marching band practice. I have also been working my ass off to finish writing my game, a Europa Universalis-esque Android game. Specifically, I am trying to put the map together right now so I have something to test my AI on :-)
JDSweet

PostPosted by Mistefar » Sun Jun 25, 2017 03:00

Welp.

At first I was like, "this guy commented in my thread, so 'ill read one chapter of his history"

I read. And then I read. And I read a bit more. It ended and i cried a little insid because it ended.

P.S I like how Jon Connington is gay.
Mistefar

Previous

Return to After Action Reports (AAR)