True Dragons: A Song of Fire and Blood

Post your mod AARs and stories here

True Dragons: A Song of Fire and Blood

PostPosted by JDSweet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 15:52

Part 1 - Of Dragons and Stags
Chapter One - Landfall: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927.html#p107345
Chapter Two - A Storm of Swords: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927.html#p107446
Chapter Three - Fire and Blood: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927.html#p107514
Chapter Four - A Throne of Iron: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927.html#p107625
Chapter Five - An Unholy Lie: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927-20.html#p108075
Chapter Six - A Dragon Born: http://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927-20.html#p108797
Chapter Seven - Cold Winds Risen: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927-20.html#p111356
Chapter Eight - Terrors of the Night: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927-20.html#p111811
Chapter Nine - Dawn: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927-20.html#p111812
Chapter Ten - : https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927-40.html#p111813
Chapter Eleven - A Dance of Dragons: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927-40.html#p111815
Chapter Twelve - A Black Dragon and a Golden Lion[b]: https://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic12927-40.html#p111901

Intro

I have been really entranced with many good AARs out there. Among these are "The Dragon Has Three Heads" by jsdunc on this forum, and "The Crowned Dragons" by MattSR30 on the Paradox forums. These are told in a narrative/semi-narrative style, and the authors put a lot of time and hard work into them. This AAR is based on these and the many others that I have read and forgotten (I read a LOT of AARs, mostly Targaryen but some Martell and Stark AARs. I also liked "The Little Cub" on the Paradox forums, which showed the reign of Tommen I Baratheon.) I have written fiction before, but this is my first AAR and any advice/critique is welcome and even encouraged. The first post is merely an introduction to our characters, namely Jon Connington, Aegon VI Targaryen, and Ser Rolly the Duck. I will write in a third person limited style most of the time, though I might switch to 3rd person omniscient and 1st person depending on the POV character and to achieve emotional impact. This has been a pretty emotional game for me. As a rule of thumb, I only develop characters who will have a lasting impact on our main character. And without further ado, I now begin True Dragons: A Song of Fire and Blood.

[b]Chapter One: Landfall

The boy had white hair. White hair and Targaryen eyes, and beside him, to his right, was Jon Connington, his adoptive father, and to his left, the fiery Ser Rolly Duckfield, his closest companion, first Kingsguard, and childhood friend. The fleet stretched as far as the eye could see. The harbor at Rain House was extremely insufficient for their needs, but it would have to do. The knights of the Golden Company, their elephants, their horses, all began to dock, ten ships at a time, a hundred people per ship. Lord Wylde had surrendered to the Targaryens in short order after the ravens he sent to King Tommen for aid were shot down, his small realm apparently too destroyed by the War of the Five Kings to offer any resistance.

Young Griff and his companions had landed with the first wave, establishing the beach head, much to Jon's displeasure. Jon had grown grasping since they set sail for Westeros, caring too much for caution. "Caution is the better part of valor," or so the man preached, though there was no room for caution in the invasion. The realm needs somebody dashing and daring to lead it out of these troubled times it is in, not an old lady preaching.

The Imp was right about one thing; the realm is unready to face another invasion. And so King Aegon VI Targaryen, rightful King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, and the true heir to Aegon the Conqueror began his expedition to recover his birth right and save the kingdom of the conqueror - from itself. If he couldn't do it nobody could, and if nobody could, the dream of the Conqueror would die with him.

"And..." Young Griff said, urging Jon on mockingly. They rode at a steady pace, Ser Rolly direcly ahead of them, leading the way. They were dressed in a light leather armor, built for mobility. It would serve for now, as there was no direct threat of anybody meeting them in battle. The Stormlands had been run dry of men able for war. The keeps Aegon had encountered had surrendered immediately, and he had risen all those lords who surrendered up and confirmed them in their lands. The conqueror was lenient to those who bent the knee, and so would he be.

"And, that is all we are going to discuss on the matter." Jon held a stubborn look on his face, one that enlightened Aegon to the fact that he would not betray any more secrets on the matter.

"Gods, Jon, is it so bad that I want to know more about your home - the place we will reside for weeks?"

"Yes, it is. I will not say any more." Jon's voice cracked. Thinking of his silver prince, how Rhaegar had so loved his Griffin's Roost, hurt his heart. Knowing how he had failed him, hurt it more. I didn't want to be remembered as a butcher. And for that Rhaegar paid the price. And what a terrible price that was.

"The past is in the past, and we have only to look forward to the future," Rhaegar used to say, and Jon had come to ponder over them in the years since his exile. "I finally understand what you meant," he whispered to himself.

There was silence. A tense, depressing silence that froze the heart and stopped the mind. Ominous, foreboding, and Aegon could not stand it.

"Tell me about my father," Egg asked. Another moment of silence.

"He was the noblest, wisest, kindest man I had ever met," Jon said, fondly remembering the feeling the presence of the crown prince had given him. We were only ever friends, though he knew I wanted more, Connington thought. Jon's tone became soft and somber. "Skilled in sword and spear, and the smartest man I had ever met. No man was his equal with harp of lyre, and he knew as many languages as you. He was a loyal friend. A good friend. He didn't deserve what happened to him." He hesitated, before continuing in a more hopeful tone. "But the past is in the past, and we have only the future to look forward to."

They continued moving. The column of troops was mostly silent - the discipline half a dozen wars had forced into them. The king spoke up, his own tone a mixture of doubt, sadness, and hope. "Do I remind you of him?"

Jon thought for a moment, looking the young prince up and down. The silver hair, the eyes, only slightly lighter in shade from those of Rhaegar. The face, the lips, the hair. He was quicker to anger than his father - much quicker. In all of their time together, he had never seen Mad Aerys' son raise his voice or fist or sword in anger. Pride, yes. Anger, no. Young Griff is trained in sword, though no equal of Rhaegar. He knows songs and instruments, and indeed enjoys his harp, but again, he was nowhere near his father in skill. The rightful king is better at foreign languages, and enjoys history far more than his father, who preferred myths and legends, tales of magic and chivalry of ages gone by.

"Yes, you do, son. You remind me very much of him. Now, let's keep going. We have a lot of distance to cover and little time to do it." Griff couldn't help but wonder what his home would be like. And he couldn't help but dread the thought of possibly having to become a kinslayer to redeem himself. I don't have long, anyway, he thought.

It's better the boy doesn't know, not now. The greyscale will take me, and I will go after he is on the throne. Not before. Jon wore long-sleeved clothing, and two red and black gloves adorned his hands to cover the disease.

Young Griff looked up, at the keep, the ancestral home of the Conningtons. It had a mild garrison, larger than any the Golden Company had yet faced in this campaign, though definitely not insurmountable by any stretch of the imagination. Trenches had already been dug, and the only "casualty," if you could even call it that, was a lone hedge knight who rather unwisely strayed away from the Targaryen lines toward the wall. He suffered a crossbow bolt to the shoulder, but the Halfmaester had said he would be back in fighting condition within a week.

"Raise a peace banner. I wish to parley with my cousin," Jon ordered a soldier, who began to follow his order. He tugged Aegon's shoulder, signaling for him to follow as he made for his horse, a red beast named Silver. Rolly moved to interfere at the command of Captain General Harry Strickland, stepping in front of the two and drawing his sword, though not going any further. Jon turned to Harry.

"His grace is too valuable to risk in a parley. You go alone." Harry stated.

Jon's face hardened. I'm protective of the boy, but this is going too far. He NEEDS to learn to parley, and nothing teaches better than experience. "His grace, the king, is my squire. He needs to learn how to parley with his lords, and Ronnet is good practice on what he will face in the kingdom. I know my cousin, and he won't try anything dishonorable."

Young Griff turned to Harry, and then to Jon, then to his personal guard. "No, I am going. Rolly, to me." And the Duck sheathed his blade and formed up with two Golden Company men behind the monarch and his mentor, leaving Harry to gape. 'Fuck that craven old man,' Jon thought.

"His grace Aegon, Sixth of his Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm requests to parley, What say you," Ser Rolly shouted to the walls. His temper was getting the better of him - Lord Ronnet had kept them waiting for an hour, and patience was not something the Duck was famous for. A cringe and the keep's gate began to open, forcing the small party to back up a few feet.

The man who rode out was of the same height as Jon, and had a clean shaven face to complement his full head of hair. "I have been commanded to have your head, pretender," the proud lord said to Aegon.

"Don't respond to his provocations. You'll get us all killed if your temper gets out of hand," Jon whispered to his ward before turning back to his cousin.

"Greetings Ronnet, it has been a long time."

"Not long enough, if you ask me. Should I kill your men too, or will you and your false dragon give me your heads now. I'll be merciful. Quick, painless deaths, for all of you." Ronnet smirked.

"Are you really a kinslayer, Ronnet? Have the years really done that to you?" Jon knew full well that his cousin was a little monster, but for all his talk, Ronnet would never kill under a peace banner... unless provoked.

"No, I guess? I guess we'll have to do this the hard way. I have two thousand men in these walls cousin, and the blood of all your exile soldiers will be on your hands. Not mine. We have nothing more to discuss. Be gone with you, then." The lord turned back to his keep.

"Let's go, Aegon," Jon and the group turned their horses and began to leave. But Aegon stopped and wheeled his horse around. "Lord Connington, I am a dragon. I will do what I must."

Notes: I have refrained from adding screenshots for three reasons. The first, is that I posted from my iPad. The second, is that the actual gameplay starts in the next post. I will probably edit the character portraits of our main characters in at a later time. The third, and most important, is I have no idea how to add them, so if somebody could give me a hand, that would be great. It is preferable if I can post them from my Android smartphone as I don't have constant internet connection on my laptop, but do have near constant connection on my smartphone.

ALSO, I am using a dated version of the mod and the game. A year or so ago I merged all of my AGOT submods into an "AGOT Modified" submod to avoid having to repeatedly re-select my submods. It is for an older version of CK2, so I rolled it back on Steam, though I forgot which version. The mod is also dated because I don't look forward to updating the components I developed to the next version of the game and mod. I will also make limited use of the console to get me started by hiring 9k mercenaries to make taking the Iron Throne within a year or two a possibility (as it stands you essentially have to win a drawn out war of attrition against the rest of the realm that could last a decade or more). I killed Victorian because dragon-riding Ironborn is just annoying AF to deal with. I am of the mind that his dragon horn is just a pretty toy and Drogon will roast his ass anyway, so... I also have not purchased Reapers Due or Monks and Mystics, so I don't have any of those features, but most other major DLC I do have.
Last edited by JDSweet on Tue Jul 18, 2017 02:46, edited 19 times in total.
JDSweet

Re: True Dragons: A Song of Fire and Blood

PostPosted by JDSweet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 20:22

So, I have been debating what image hosting to use, and decided on ImgBB (https://imgbb.com). I would use Imgur but the app is refusing to download to my phone, and the browser version is not working properly on Android. Any preferences? Imgur is out of the question for the moment, unfortunately.
JDSweet

PostPosted by IamGreen » Wed Mar 22, 2017 05:01

JDSweet wrote:So, I have been debating what image hosting to use, and decided on ImgBB (https://imgbb.com). I would use Imgur but the app is refusing to download to my phone, and the browser version is not working properly on Android. Any preferences? Imgur is out of the question for the moment, unfortunately.

You could try TinyPic. Imgbb doesn't look too bad either, though.
IamGreen

PostPosted by JDSweet » Wed Mar 22, 2017 13:19

IamGreen wrote:
JDSweet wrote:So, I have been debating what image hosting to use, and decided on ImgBB (https://imgbb.com). I would use Imgur but the app is refusing to download to my phone, and the browser version is not working properly on Android. Any preferences? Imgur is out of the question for the moment, unfortunately.

You could try TinyPic. Imgbb doesn't look too bad either, though.

Thanks, I'll try it out!
JDSweet

PostPosted by IamGreen » Wed Mar 22, 2017 17:34

I'm really liking this so far. I can't wait to see how things turn out with Ronnet.
IamGreen

PostPosted by JDSweet » Wed Mar 22, 2017 22:01

IamGreen wrote:I'm really liking this so far. I can't wait to see how things turn out with Ronnet.

Thanks!

Well, treating the rightful king the way he did is going to entail a punishment of some kind. In the words of a wise man, "we will shut that shit down!" But,
Spoiler: show
Red Ronnet does have a brother with good traits, and Jon has a grand total of 2 health and might not even survive the war. There are possibilities...
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Fri Mar 24, 2017 19:48

Chapter Two - A Storm of Swords

"Yollo, keep your archers firing on the gate. If they dare raise to shoot at us I want them stuffed with arrows." Young Griff turned away from the archer, who was taking his company to a safe position to rain hell down upon the defenders of Griffin's Roost. Jon, Rolly, and two men of the company stood nearby, conversing.

The war drums of the Golden Company began to beat. An elephant roared from the siege camp to intimidate the defenders of the loyalist keep. Gods damned drums, if they don't surrender soon I will, Aegon thought. They had the elephants and drums making noise nonstop, all day and night for a week now. It was annoying to say the least.

The king, at the request of his mentor Jon, had agreed against leading the assault - this time. He can't protect me forever, his grace whispered to himself. I'll watch the assault, he finally decided, moving to the entrance of his command tent and looking out at the men moving closer to the walls. Aegon had not given them time to construct siege towers or ballistas - they were pressed for time. If Mace Tyrell or the Lannisters reached Griffin's Roost before they win the siege - game over.

A storm of arrows was exchanged between the archers on the wall and the Company soldiers on the ground underneath. A battering ram moved forward, towards the main gate, the one they had spoken to Ronnet at, but it went up in flames as a castle defender managed to place a flaming arrow under the flame retardant top of the ram. The engineers operating the siege weapon fled behind the cover of the advancing shield wall of Targaryen men as another ram moved out from the makeshift phalanx of supporting soldiers. The cavalry was behind the line, getting ready to charge into the keep after the gate was breached. But instead... a horn blew. The Griffin banner, and the Baratheon banners on the castle were lowered, and in their place old, dusty red three-headed dragon banners were risen.

"What is the meaning of this," Aegon asked.

"Hells if I know," Rolly replied. Jon was speechless.

They stood on the ground underneath the castle walls, Ronnet tied and gagged. On the horse above the ass who nearly got many good men killed, was his younger brother, Raymund Connington.

"Why have you betrayed your brother and your oath," Egg asked. Jon was frowning.

"My oath was to defend those unable to defend themselves. I am a knight, first and foremost, your grace."

Your grace... I like that. About time I was recognized for who I am.

"Will you betray me as soon as I turn to leave the castle", Aegon asked, his voice still hard.

"I will fight for your cause until I am unable to continue, your grace. Then I yield. Live to fight another day, as my father put it."

He is either insanely clever or insanely craven, Egg thought. But is there really a difference between the two?.

"Until that day comes though, I can offer you and your men the hospitality of my home. Forgive me if we cannot supply your entire army though - the war has brought us to a low point."

Egg exchanged looks with Jon, who nodded.

The Golden Company left Griffin's Roost with some two thousand additional men, courtesy of Lord Raymund Connington, who transferred control of his army to the Targaryens, though 300 Targaryen men had died in the initial skirmishes. Red Ronnet was being held in a comfortable, rat-infested cell underneath the Roost, as the men had come to call it. The time spent in the Roost was spent sending ravens to the various lords of the realm demanding they declare themselves

The journey to Storm's End had lasted a couple of weeks. Half a dozen castles and towns had surrendered to Aegon Targaryen by then, all pledging their remaining swords to him. His host had swollen from just over ten thousand to almost twenty thousand - though many of these were young boys, no older than ten and three.

In Aegon's red and black command tent, the leaders of the Golden Company were debating how to best take the castle.

"I say we bypass it," Harry began. "Every man of the Golden Company who dies assaulting this unassailable fortress will..."

Jon interrupted, shouting. "Will be replaced by five men from the remaining undeclared Stormlords, and three men from the Crownland lords who have no love of the Lannisters! If we take Storm's End - a symbol of resistance, of strength for the Baratheons and Stormlords, then we take the Stormlands. If we take the Stormlands, lords will start to declare for us. If we bypass it... we show Westeros that we are a craven bunch of old men looking to put a Lyseni bastard on the throne. First impressions matter."

"There is no guarantee any useful number of lords will declare for us. There is a guarantee that every man in the Golden Company will fight to the death," Harry replied.

Think Connington, think, Jon thought. Then he decided on what he would say.

"You may be right, or wrong, Captain, but it is not up to you. It is up to him," Jon said, pointing at Aegon. The tent went silent. Nobody had bothered asking their king what to do.

"I trust my guardian and friend's judgement. Though I will lead the assault myself."

Jon's heart dropped. "No, you will not put yourself in that kind of danger!"

"You said it yourself Jon," the youth replied. "I am the king. It is not your choice, but mine."

Egg's throat dropped into his stomach, which itself felt like it dropped into his balls. His sword hand trembled. It was one thing to call yourself a dragon, but quite another to play the part. Quite frankly, Aegon was scared shitless. His men were gathered around him, and he was preparing to lead the assault on a previously unpenetrable fortress. Suddenly he was beginning to wish he had listened to Jon and skipped out on this battle. Gods, I must be an idiot, he thought. I guess there is no turning back now though.

"Men of the Golden Company, we fight for what is right and good, to depose a bastard monarch born of incest and to restore your lands and status. Follow me, and I will lead you to victory! Follow me, and I will give you Westeros!" The men cheered. More like YOU will give ME, Westeros, but I prefer my version, he mused, trying to take his mind off the very real possibility of his venture ending this night. The sky was cloudy. A storm is brewing... but will it end?

"Fire and Blood," Young Griff shouted.

"Fire and Blood," the army shouted in near unison.

Jon stood at the side of the son of his silver prince. "Fire and Blood," the army shouted in near unison. Varys and Harry stood to Jon's left, smiling. There was something unnerving about the smile, though, something not quite right.

Aegon charged up the ladder, his round shield strapped to his forearm. Ever couple of feet he stopped to block an arrow. Oh fuck, oh fuck of fuck! I am so fucking dead! Finally, after what seemed like the longest time he reached the top. Oh fuck, it's do or die Aegon he thought to himself, immediately slamming the shield into the nearest Baratheon defender. A red dragon was painted onto his silver mail breastplate, and after seeing this the Stormlanders knew who Young Griff was.

He parried another sword swing by an overly ambitious Baratheon knight, pushing said knight off the wall and to the ground a hundred feet below. Rolly was up the ladder, and joined Aegon. An arrow bolt flew toward the dragon king, causing him to back off from his latest foe and block with his shield. The arrow slammed into the shield with such force that it nearly knocked Aegon from the wall to his death, but Rolly pulled him to his feet. By now, Jon and fifteen or so Golden Company men were up the wall, and two more similar breaches in the defense were created at other locations along the wall. The cost was high, however, as the defenders staunchly fought on. A mixture of levies and Golden Company soldiers was falling like flies from the walls, and the bodies were beginning to pile. Ladders were being pushed to the ground, boiling oil landing on Targaryen men and horribly maiming and killing them. Screams of pain and terror echoed through the night as the sun finally finished setting.

Egg dodged a sword blow, again nearly falling from the wall, though he managed to regain his footing and drove his blade into his attacker. "Rolly, to me, we head for the gate!" He shouted over the roar of combat. One of the three siege towers they had constructed went up in flames as a lucky archer fired a flaming arrow past the flame retardant cattle skin and into the interior.

Young Griff and his men, clearing up resistance on this section of the wall itself, began to push towards the main gate. The plan had been to create two breaches on opposite sides of the gate and press them fro, both sides, though they had created three. An arrow pierced his shield, going through the defensive item and scraping his arm before friction stopped it. Suddenly, one of the Targaryen men closest to Aegon took an arrow from the right. In the courtyard Aegon realized, ducking just in time to avoid being shoved through a dozen times by a hail of arrows. He pulled Rolly and Jon down as well, as five more Targaryen men dropped limp from the wall. One man was hit in the throat, and blood began spurting all over Aegon and the remaining men.

Two and a half dozen archers in the courtyard below were firing on Young Griff. Two of the Company men who had crossbows got to their bellies and began firing at any Baratheons trying to leave the tower on this side of the gate. They were fifty feet from their goal. He and Rolly exchanged looks. "Well, this will kind of put a damper on our plans," Aegon said. Rolly laughed.

"You think?"

The arrows kept flying, and the company men were starting to run low on ammunition.

"I think I can make it. Turn your fire towards the archers below. Cover me long enough to get into the gate house, I'll handle it from there." Rolly sighed.

"No," Egg replied. He is one of the few true friends I have. I can't lose him..

Another arrow nearly hit Aegon. The archers below were adjusting their firing arc.

"With all due respect, your grace," Rolly began. "Fuck your orders." And Ser Rolly sprinted from their position of cover towards the tower.

No! Aegon shouted in his mind, ordering his men to begin covering his friend.

Rolly, you are officially the dumbest man on the planet, he thought as he ran, dodging the occasional arrow. The archers below were concentrating their fire on Aegon's position. If he didn't get the gate open and soon, there would be no king left to crown.[/i]

Two more soldiers were critically struck by arrows. Egg's party was reduced from about thirty men total to about five, including himself, Jon, and Rolly. Four, he thought bitterly. Rolly had disappeared into the tower.

Suddenly the archer fire stopped. Below them, an old man stood in full battle armor, the arms of House Estermont emblazoned on his chest.

"It's over, pretender. If you surrender now, you will be given the mercy of taking the black," the old man shouted.

"Thank you for your generous offer, but, I..." Egg started his reply. "I think I'll have to decline. You see, I have goals..."

"You won't get another chance, boy. Second chances are rare - third chances even rarer, if you indeed are Aegon Targaryen. I advise you take them when you see them.

Jon and him exchanged looks. "I think I'll pass," the youth replied.

"Fine. ARCHERS!" The old man shouted.

"Ready! Aim! Fi..." The creek of the gate starting to open rang out into the night sky. Right then, the rain fell at increased speed, cascading down onto the Targaryen and Baratheon hosts. A bolt of lightening followed by thunder. The bows became useless as water soaked into the bowstring. The gate slammed open, and hundreds of mounted knights poured into the castle, slaughtering anybody who offered resistance.

Rolly exited the gate tower, and waved.

Aegon laughed.

Aegon rode his black horse, Shadow, out of the castle. Rolly was sporting a minor wound to his arm. Apparently most of the defenders of the gatehouse had been called away to seal the breaches in the Baratheon defense, leaving only four common soldiers to guard the gate. Four was easy enough for Rolly to handle, though one of them grated his arm he ran them through.

Blood and gore covered Aegon, and he was shocked by the brutality of the battle. He had played war games as a child, and had ordered troop movements recently. But it was all so... gruesome. Of the twenty thousand men who stormed the castle, six thousand died, most before even making it up the wall. A heavy cost for a single castle. Young Griff was physically and mentally exhausted.

He made his way back to his personal tent, opened it, and slammed down, face first, into his makeshift "bed", and began to drift off to sleep.

Right before he slipped off into his dreams, Jon stuck his head in the tent.

"Boy, you are needed in the command tent."

Aegon groaned. "Come on Jon, aren't you exhausted too? Can't it wait for just a moment more?"

"No," and Jon was gone. Aegon roused himself.

A woman with dark skin and wily eyes stood outside the command tent. She wore a loose dress, entirely inappropriate for a war-zone. The Golden Company could maintain discipline, but the lowborn peasant levies... If Egg were a woman, he wouldn't risk dressing like that. The dress exposed her cleavage...exciting and embarrassing the Targaryen. He blushed.

"Who are you?" He asked rudely, trying to take his mind off her appealing body. She looked him up and down.

"Who is asking?"

"Me. Who are you," Egg asked again, frustrated. "I would change into something more appropriate if I were you... the peasant levies can be... hard to control, and I can't be aound to watch you all the time."

"All the time! Gods, I have only very, very recently met you. I cannot say I am impressed."

That flustered him, provoking a response. "Do you have any idea what I just went through! Do you have any idea who I am? Are fair hair and purple eyes so common a feature that a... Dornish? That a dornish woman like you cannot see who I am just by looking? The insolence!"

"Yes, you are a dragon, and a dragon best not mess with a snake." Her amiable, playful tone turned cold and hard immediately. A snake...

"Are you Arianne Martell?"

"Do you want me to rip his tongue out, princess," a hulking Dornish male asked her. She smiled warmly at him. "No Daemon, not yet."

He would be wed to Arianne, 'the Bitchy Snake' Martell. Wonderful. He had never wanted to marry her, especially after meeting the woman, but he found it necessary. The marriage, the best one available to him, discounting his aunt in Meereen, would bring eleven thousand swords and spears to his cause and the extensive, full coffers of Dorne. She was beautiful, but their personalities seemed to repel, at least so far. I've only met her once, he thought. Maybe she is not as bad as I think. He hoped, anyway. A boy entered his room. It was late in the afternoon, the day following the storming, and he was in the lords chambers of Storm's End, waking from an unrestful night of sleep.

The boy had brown hair intertwined with some fair strips. Definitely from the Free Cities.

"My father, Master Illyrio says you will be my guardian," the boy started in perfect standard. Did he now?

"What is your name?" Egg asked.

"Lotho Mopatis, your grace."

"I'll talk to you later. I just want to lay down and rest."

"No, Jon told me to tell you to wake up and come to council."

"And I told you to leave me be."

"Yes, but Jon said you will want to hear about it in person."

"Well, I don't." Aegon curled back up and closed his eyes, trying to scrub the images of men dying from his mind.

Suddenly the breath was knocked out of him. He threw the blanket off, and the boy hopped off the bed and sprinted towards the council chambers. "That little..."

Last edited by JDSweet on Sun Mar 26, 2017 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
JDSweet

PostPosted by superninja76 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 20:45

Loving this AAR so far. You paint aegon in a interesting light, and you're quite good at describing battles. Will pay close attention to this!
superninja76

PostPosted by JDSweet » Fri Mar 24, 2017 21:28

superninja76 wrote:Loving this AAR so far. You paint aegon in a interesting light, and you're quite good at describing battles. Will pay close attention to this!

Thanks! Just wait until
the Second Dance. Thing get a little... toasty, for the realm.

And as for Aegon, I am trying to paint him as similar to his canon personality that we have seen. We know he is pretty proud, and probably a little spoiled by Illyrio despite Varys' speech, (I am still undecided about changing the traits via console), so I wrote him that way. He has had a... hard awakening to the realities of warfare. He definitely has much to learn if he ever wants to take and keep the world's pointiest chair. Hopefully I can make him a "true dragon" by the end of it, though.

Also, what do you think about the writing:screenshots ratio? More writing? More screenshots? I intend to pump these out once every 2-5 days until I catch up to where I currently am in the game, at which point delays between posts will probably double (my pc is significantly under the reccomended specs for CK2 and I am a bit strapped for cash right now.
JDSweet

PostPosted by superninja76 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 02:02

I'd say the ratio is just about right, there's nothing really to complain about.
superninja76

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sun Mar 26, 2017 03:25

The next update will be out in two (maybe three) days, if anybody is wondering. Sifting through the many screenshots is a two day job (I have 121 to sift through and edit for the next chapter, though I am only going to be using maybe 10-20 shots for the update itself).
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 17:50

Chapter Three - Fire and Blood

"This Bastard of Winterfell is a traitor and oathbreaker!" Jon worked himself into a frenzy.

"As are you, Jon," Aegon replied cooly. The Starks have ruled Winterfell for a thousand years. A Stark restoration is not a bad idea. I should have landed in the North and done it myself. Though Aegon had no love of the Starks - they were the Usurpers dogs, after all - he had no love for the Boltons, and the Starks had proven their loyalty to the crown time and again, barring Robert's Rebellion.

"How many troops arrive each day," the would-be king asked his mentor.

Connington looked disturbed. "Your grace, only two new lords declared for you, both in the Vale of Arryn. Lords Lynderly and Moore have pledged their men to you. Some more Stormlords declared, and minor houses on the Cracklaw Point."

A knight of the Company entered the council chamber. "Your grace, the Spider sends word," and handed Aegon a scroll.

Your grace, I have taken the liberty of obtaining knowledge of a potential scandal in court. It appears Lord Lancel Lannister prefers the company of other men. I have taken appropriate actions to suit your plans.

"That dragon queen we had planned on marrying to you has murdered Quentyn Martell, Arianne's brother. It was a wise choice you made, forgoing her. She would have lost us the Martells," Jon sighed.

"And gained us dragons!" Harry was getting frustrated. "I say that now that we have a foothold, you should approach her."

"No, the Martells want vengeance against her. The loss of Doran will lose us the war," Aegon replied, looking at the board of Westeros laid out before the council. Ten red cyvasse pieces were standing over Storm's End, nine yellow pieces over Kings Landing.

In Sunspear, a further ten red pieces. In the West and Reach, twelve pieces each.

"Do you, Aegon, sixth of your name, take Princess Arianne Martell of Dorne under your protection as your wife?" An old Septon with a hunch in his back asked. The sept was a humble building, not built for lowly lords, much less kings, but it would have to do.

"I do," he replied.

"You may now cloak the bride."

She isn't that bad. She has an attitude, but I guess I have come to like it, much more than the dull ladies who have come to my court from lords who bent the knee.

"Time for the bedding!" Jon Connington entered the Sept with a dozen half drunken company men and a large number of ladies in waiting. He had a metal pot in one hand, a wooden spoon in another, and he was banging the pot with the spoon.

"For my dowry, my father gives you ten thousand gold dragons," Arianne said. "And a throne of iron."

He glanced at her partially exposed breasts. Her dress was practically non-existent. It would not take long to undress her. Or him, as he was wearing a loose, satin red and black cloak.

The bedding is going to be good.

The crowd began to undress them and push them towards the nearby inn they had confiscated.

Aegon sat on his horse. The sky was cloudy, but not quite ready to rain. The temperature was below zero, and the wind brought a chill to his skin. I think this is it, Aegon thought. We win or die.

He turned to his army, twelve thousand men arrayed behind him. A relatively small contingent of knights and most of the heavy infantry would be in the center. Jon would lead the left, Ser Rolly the right, which were composed primarily of light cavalry and knights. To boot, Aegon had the elephants, which were divided as evenly as possible between the two flanks. His center had two of the great beasts.

The idea was to catch the Kingslayer's initial charge and sweep around their flanks and take them from the rear. All Aegon had to do was hold out until the Lannisters were surrounded. Seems simple enough, he thought.

The land around the castle village of Attadale would either be where a king triumphed or a pretender dies. There was no other option, and he knew it. I outnumber them, he pondered as he began shouting orders to the men.

Ser Jaime Lannister sat mounted atop his horse. The Kingslayer, and the most deadly warrior in all of Westeros until he lost his hand. He was still formidable, and intended to prove it by leading the charge. Cersei would be ecstatic if he brought the false dragon's head to her, and that is what he intended to do.

The Lannister knights were riding full speed towards Aegon's lines. "Lock shields!" He shouted. "Front rank, level your spears." The golden company-men in the front row of soldiers locked shields in unison. Their pikes went down, level at half a man's height.

The Lannisters were now only a few yards away. "Fire and Blood!" Young Griff shouted, wheeling his horse around. The Lannister flanks advanced far behind their cavalry in their own phalanx. Only a token force was left at their camp.

The Baratheon and Lannister knights slammed into the shield wall, punching several gaps through the company and engaging the company knights behind in gruesome close quarters combat.

Aegon moved his own horse forward, closer to one of the gaps, as did his thirty man guard.

We have to close that gap, his mind shouted at him. He sliced a Lannister knight's neck, moving forward and stabbing the horse of another, sending his foe flying to the ground as the horse reared up on its hind legs, in agony.

Jon plunged his blade into the heart of another archer. His knights had reached the Lannister camp just in time to hit the archers, much to the benefit of his crowned dragon in the center.

The Targaryen right was taking a beating. Though Ser Rolly managed to reach it and slaughter a few of their archers, some had managed to fall back while their infantry reformed into a thin shield wall. The arrows were falling like storms. We have to do something about those archers, they're tearing us up!

Then, he saw another volley fly, but not towards his men. Towards the center. Towards Aegon!

Young Griff plunged his blade into the heart of another opponent. His arms were growing weary from all the killing. His armor, dented from the last three Lannister charges, was covered in blood and gore.

He sported a slice in his left arm, given to him by one of the Kingslayers' men in the second charge.

A dark cloud covered the sun, causing Young Griff to temporarily turn his attention to the sky. Fuck, he thought. That is no cloud....

"Get down!" He shouted, pushing two of his companions to the cold, blood soaked dirt of the ground.

It was too little too late. The arrows pierced a quarter of his men and a dozen of the Lannisters. One impaled his leg, sending a spike of pain up his spine.

Rolly led the charge up the hill, breaking through the Lannister defenders, towards the archers. The royal Targaryen banners fell to the ground, and most likely the king. I will avenge you, he thought, rallying his remaining men and beginning the butchering of the archers who had likely cost the king his life.

"Fire and Blood!" He shouted. "Show no mercy!"

Jon was racing full speed back towards the center. He was going to catch Jaime's men from the rear. He looked back, and noticed the last Lannister archers falling, the camp going up in flames. Then Ser Rolly and his remaining knights were riding out of the flames, towards Aegon's collapsing center.

Egg dodged another blow.

"You cannot win, false dragon!" The Kingslayer shouted as he swung his longsword.

Egg's legs were burning just as much from exhaustion as from the broken off arrow stuck in one of them. His breathing was unsteady, and his hands sported half a dozen minor wounds.

I can't keep this up he realized, as he fell to his knees, chest heaving.

"Don't worry, I'll make it quick," he told Egg.

Some king I turned out to be, Aegon thought bitterly.

The Targaryens, led by Ser Rolly and Ser Jon, slammed into the rear of the Lannister cavalry, taking them unawares.

"Shit," Jaime Lannister shouted, breaking off from Aegon, who raised himself to his feet.

The kingsguard carried Aegon to the nearest inn, where a local maester and a Septon had covered his wounds. The battle was still ragin, but it was clear the Lannisters were attempting to escape and retreat. The battle had been moving closer and closer to the Lannister camp that was in flames.

Jon was by his side, having turned over complete control of the Targaryen host to Ser Rolly.

Where am I, Aegon asked himself internally. He rubbed his head with his free hand. Blood. I guess that means I'm not dead. Dead men don't bleed.

"Egg, are you alright?" Jon asked, his voice ringing with audible fear.

"I'm fine..." he rubbed his head again.

A moment of silence. "Did you really hold your own against the Kingslayer?"

Did I... Aegon groaned, trying to rise to his feet, but collapsed onto the ground before the Maester could catch him.

Jon drew his sword and rested it on Egg's shoulders. "In the name of the Seven I charge you to defend the weak. To protect the innocent, and to do all that is just."

He reached down, grabbed Aegon's arm and pulled him up. "You are now a ser and a king."

"Is the battle won," he asked.

"Yes, your grace. The battle is won."

The walls of Kings Landing were intimidating. Storm's End had tall strong walls, but the capital's walls were another beast all together. Not necessarily very tall, relatively speaking, but definitely better manned than anything that had yet been faced by the young dragon. Assault would not be an option - at least not until Doran's host reached them - as they almost matched the Targaryens man for man.

Aegon was sitting in a hard wooden chair. It had been a couple of weeks since the Battle of Attadale, and he was recovering, though the wound in his leg was itching, the maester said it would heal if he left it be.

Jon entered Aegon's tent. "We have a visiter."

"Send him in," Aegon replied, sighing. Does the constant stream of petitions never end, he thought.

A man with dark, tanned skin and Valyrian hair entered the tent. He had a golden beard, and was dressed in a fancy robe, likely of silk or satin.

"We have a lot to discuss your grace, including the financial woes of the realm."

"And these woes would be" Egg replied, annoyed at the cryptic speaking of the man.

He produced a letter and handed it to Aegon.

"Your Grace, the Iron Bank humbly requests you honor the debts of the Iron Throne, and repay the full amount owed to the Iron Bank by the treacherous chikd Tommen Baratheon. In return, the Iron Bank will give you a generous sum of gold and will help to finance your armies in the coming years."

A deal with the devil... but do I have a choice if I want to storm the capital before another Lannister host mobilizes. And Stannis and his Stark supporters are marching south with ten thousand men to claim the throne.

Egg reached a decision. "I will accept this proposal. Return to your masters and tell them to use half of the sum they plan on paying me to buy mercenaries."

The man bowed, and left.

The banners of House Swann entered the camp. They were the only remaining undeclared Stormlords.

With the Martell host having recently arrived, Young Griff was preparing to storm the city. He had given the Lannister ample opportunity to avoid this needless bloodshed. With thirty thousand men outside the capital, though, he couldn't afford for Lord Tyrell or the West to rally more hosts.

Aegon was planning the assault with the leading members of the Golden Company in the command tent, a place he had become quite familiar with.

His wife Arianne entered the room, pushing the guards aside.

He exchanged looks with her, though her face did not betray her emotions.

"I am pregnant."

Notes: Sorry if this seems disjointed in places, I was in a rush to get it out, and I had to fit a lot of content in it.
Last edited by JDSweet on Fri Mar 31, 2017 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Fri Mar 31, 2017 21:33

So, my school uses an automated language filter to block content that contains a lot of profanity. As I usually post these from my iPad during school hours and on the school WIFI, and the language filter has blocked myAAR it seems I will have to type these out in a word document and post on my phone. There might be a slight degradation of quality because there is not an option on my cell to turn off autocorrect, and it keeps auto-correcting "Aegon" and such names.

Also, next post will be on Saturday, or maybe Sunday (if I take my studies too seriously ;) )
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sat Apr 01, 2017 23:09

Chapter Four - A Throne of Iron

Aegon and Rolly stormed down the street, ignoring the cheering crowd of peasants, towards the Red Keep. Lady Nymeria Sand had opened the gates for the Targaryen host, and the combined Dornish, Stormlander, and Sellsword host had engaged the Gold Cloaks and Lannister men manning the walls in a fierce but brief battle for the gates of the city, though in the end the Lannisters were outnumbered and outmatched. Egg and his companion had broken through, following the path they saw Jon and Nymeria take. There's something she isn't telling me.

Of the peasants they passed, over half more resembled walking skeletons than human beings. The siege had lasted six months before Nymeria had found an opportune time to open the gates, and for all that time the banners of Dorne had been hidden from the view of the Lannisters, so as to make them think Doran still supported them. Three times Mace Tyrell, the Hand of the King, attempted to break the siege, and three times he had been repulsed by the Targaryens. All of the two dozen ravens that Mace had attempted to send into the city to warn them of the Martells had been shot down before getting within a hundred feet of their intended destination.

“Traitors, all of them! Oathbreakers! How dare they turn against their rightful king!” The Queen Consort and Regent - at least since the mysterious death of her uncle Kevan, for which many had blamed her. By this point, however, Cersei had nobody to listen to her rant but herself, Jaime, who was out fighting the war, their two “royal” children, and Ser Balon Swann. He was being kept as a hostage against any attempt to storm the Red Keep by his traitorous Father. The remaining kingsguard were to guard the gates of Maegor's Holdfast. Ser Robert, Ser Meryn, Ser Osmund, and the rest of that lot would spend the rest of their pitiful lives defending the gates of the keep. Their king and queen regnant demanded it.

Lord Manfryd the Alchemist was on his way to the wildfire stores under the keep. The Targaryen boy would have nothing but the fire and blood of his words. Two sets of footsteps rang through the otherwise empty halls of the stone room that King Maegor had build almost two and a half centuries prior. “Why are you here, I ordered all the remaining men to the...”

It was then she noticed the red-haired, red-bearded man wearing battered armor. His face was covered with what looked like the remnants of Greyscale. On his chest was emblazoned a Red Griffin. On his shoulders, the red three-headed dragon of House Targaryen. Beside him, stood Nymeria Sand, the sand snake who had assumed her father's position on the small council. The man spoke up. “I thought the Greyscale would take me. It turns out the Gods have given me another chance. The usurper's line ends tonight.”

A shiver went down Cersei's spine at the cold tone in the man's voice as he drew his bloodied sword from its scabbard, the blade making a slight scraping sound as it came free. Nymeria smiled, pulling a dagger. “Vengence,” she began.

“Justice,” Jon continued.

“Fire and blood,” the Sand Snake finished. The Snake and the Griffin started forward, the Griffin moving towards the Queen Regnant and her son while Nymeria moved towards Myrcella. Myrcella and her brother both fled behind their mother, Myrcella breaking into tears.

“Traitors!” Cersei cried, but not a soul heard her. Not a soul, but that of Ser Balon Swann.

“Get back, your grace.” The knight of the kingsguard stepped forward, drawing his own blade.

The two aggressors briefly halted. “I have no wish to kill you, Ser Balon. But I will do what I must. Blood for Blood.” Jon said.

“As will I,” was the knight's reply. A dance of swords, Jon swinging for the body of the kingsguard knight, Ser Balon dancing out of the way and aiming his own blade for Jon's neck. Jon parried, but Balon kicked him to the ground. But then, as he raised his blade to strike down Jon, Ser Balon felt warmth in his belly. Then a spike of pain. The brief battle between the Griffin and the Swann ended, almost as quickly as it had began. Balon looked down, knowing already what his eyes needed to confirm. A dagger, with a decorated hilt, was buried in his gut, between the plates of his armor. The hand at the hilt was Nymeria's. Swann's eyes met those of Jon's, then those of the Snake. The former's showed regret, the latter's showed a cruel smile. She twisted the hilt, and Swann coughed up a glob of blood onto his beard. Nymeria Sand kicked the defeated knight's limp body to the ground.

“No!” Cersei screamed, charging with the fury of a mother lioness defending her cubs at Nymeria in one last desperate attempt to save her children. It was in vain, and Jon clocked her in the head with his mailed fist, and Nymeria kicked the Queen in the gut, forcing her to vomit on the ground.

“We'll deal with you later.” Cersei did the only thing she could. She cried.

The two turned their attention to the two golden children in the corner. They were huddled next to each other, Myrcella crying into the arms of her brother, who himself had red eyes that bespoke his own acceptance of his fate. He raised his face to meet that of Jon as the Griffin approached. “Do you have the courage to look me in the eyes when you do it?” Jon frowned, raising his blade over his head, preparing to strike. He was promised the boy, Nymeria the girl.

This isn't right! Without thinking he drew his blade and sprinted towards Jon from the shadow's. Aegon wanted to believe the two children cowering in the corner deserved what was coming to them, but he couldn't. They were pawns in their mother's and grandfather's game, no more guilty of her crimes than he or his deceased sister were of the Mad King's. Aegon didn't want to start his reign with atrocities like the Usurper had. He had to be better, or his own reign would be doomed to the same failures of the last four kings.

The Targaryen slammed into Jon, who himself fell onto Nymeria, both of the Targaryen supporters emitting gasps as the air was knocked from their lungs. “Egg?” Griff asked, but Aegon didn't respond. Rolly stepped out of the shadows, trying to keep pace with his friend. Both men drew swords. Jon retrieved his own and that of Ser Balon, handing the latter to Nymeria. “I must do this!” Jon shouted. “You don't understand! Blood for blood, your father must be avenged!” Half a second later Jon plunged his sword in the direction of his king.

Blades flashed as Ser Rolly engaged Nymeria and Aegon engaged his former mentor in a duel. Egg ducked, almost being cut in two as Connington swung his blade. Aegon rolled out of the way. “Jon, what in seven hells are you doing?” Aegon asked. “Have you lost your fucking senses?”

“He killed MY Rhaegar!” Jon shouted, trying to bury his blade in the son of his former friend. Egg rolled out of the way, still trying to come to bear with what was happening. His adoptive father, friend, and protector of eighteen years was trying to kill him! “He had NO RIGHT!”

“Nor do you!” Egg rolled into Jon's legs, catching his mentor unawares and knocking him to the ground. Jon wasted no time, pushing his body onto that of Aegon's and grasping his ward's neck. “I must avenge my friend! I must avenge... YOU!” The air started leaving Aegon's body, but none could be gathered. His lungs tried to inhale, but Jon's grip was too strong. Aegon, despite becoming increasingly light headed, continued to struggle with Jon, trying in vain to push Connington off of him. The room turned first purple, then gray, then black.

Jon pushed himself from the ground, and approached Rolly from behind, knocking the knight who was engaged in a duel with Nymeria out cold. Jon turned back to the children. Now, where were we? But he didn't get a chance. He felt a throb in his head, then he was out.

Ser Rory Valkyn, a knight of the former King Robert's household guard, knocked the Griffin unconscious and to the ground. He had seen enough of the duel to know that the so-called Targaryen was defending innocent children, despite everything their parents had done to his family. As a knight, Rory could respect that. It was not often a knight remembered his vows, much less when it came to defending enemies of said knight against allies. Even he couldn't realistically say he would do that. The Dornish woman had a wounded hand, and it was easy enough to dispatch her, as Rory knocked her out with the hilt of his blade before she could react.

Where am I? Is this what the seven hells feel like? Aegon rubbed his head. He was in a bed, the sheets having the sigil of House Baratheon-Lannister of Tommen and Myrcella. A thin sheen of sweat was on his head. Aegon tried to raise, but fell back onto the bed at an awkward position as pangs of pain hammered against his head.

“Be careful, Maester Pycelle said not to let you out of bed until you could sit up.” The voice was gentle, definitely that of a female. He looked to the left and right. The room walls were made of stone, and a torch was mounted by the open door. Outside, two knights Aegon recognized to be of the Golden Company stood guard. As his vision cleared, it was then he recognized the golden hair of the girl. Beside her, on two chairs by the bed, sat Aegon's squire Lotho Mopatis and the girl's brother. They are...

“I am Myrcella, this is my brother Tommen.” She began, her voice nervous. “Baratheon... err, Lannister... I mean Waters, I guess.” She was looking at the ground, avoiding eye contact, obviously a little nervous, as she was biting her lip. “I just wanted to be here to say... thank you.”

“For what?” Aegon asked. “It was my duty. My sister died like that...” His voice trailed off.

“Regardless, thank you. We owe our lives to you, your grace,” Myrcella said, though her brother, Tommen, was frowning. Your grace?

Lotho spoke up, noticing the confusion on his face. They had become quite accustomed to each others' company, and had learned to read each other. “You were crowned king yesterday by the High Septon. A shame you couldn't actually attend the coronation.”

“How many men did we lose?” Aegon stood at the small council chamber of the Red Keep. At the table were Jon, who despite his treason, was still Hand of the King, Varys, the new Master of Whispers, Rolly, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Harry, the Captain of the Golden Company, and Gorys Edoryen, who had been appointed Master of Coin.

“Just short of four thousand,” was Rolly's reply. The Lord Commander of Aegon's Kingsguard had recovered quicker than him, and was better briefed on their situation than him. “Cersei Lannister and her bastards, as you are well aware, are in our custody, and the forces of the West have stood down. We have faced mild resistance from the Tyrells, but since we have two of Lord Mace's children...”

“Two?” Aegon asked, interrupting Varys.

“Ser Loras, the Knight of Flowers, and Margery Tyrell,” Edoryen spoke up.

“As I was saying...” Varys coughed to both clear his voice and get everybody's unquestionable attention. “Lord Paramount Mace Tyrell has surrendered and is awaiting your judgement.” “Letters have been sent to Lord Paramount Jon Stark, Robin Arryn, and Peytr Baelish to attend you in the capital.” He paused. “We have received replies from all. Jon, Robin, and Baelish should be here to swear oaths of fealty to you, should you desire it. Furthermore, I have taken the liberty of removing the Freys from Riverrun in favor of Lord Edmure Tully, as a show of good faith to the Riverlords to lay down arms. The Freys SHOULD give the lands up without a fight. Walder the Late Lord is nothing if not a coward. Jon's letter demands the heads of all Freys that participated in the wedding game we call the Red Wedding, but I suppose this will have to do, if you want to end the war now. Which I would strongly advise.”

“The Redwyne boys have been released from prison, and after receiving an oath of fealty to you, we have taken the liberty of allowing the Manderly's, Karstarks, and Blackwoods to return home, as well.” Jon stated, his voice cold. We'll have to talk about what transpired, but later, Aegon thought.

“Also, Prince Doran Martell has arrived in the capital with a further five thousand spears to bolster your ranks. Though unable to attend this meeting due to his physical impairments, he requests both an audience with you, and the right to assume a position on the small council as Master of Laws.” Gorys resumed where Varys left off. “Speaking of petitions, the Iron Bank asks that you assume the debts of Tommen, like you promised you would. I advise you accept, as they are not the kind of people you want to get on the wrong side of... That said, they are offering generous terms, and are willing to give us five years to collect the coin needed.”

Aegon nodded to Gorys, signifying his acceptance of the terms laid by the Braavosi.

“That just leaves the matter of the White Swords to settle,” Rolly spoke up. “I have taken the liberty of removing Sers Robert Strong, Meryn Trant, Borros Blount, Osmund Kettleblack from the Brotherhood. That leaves Loras Tyrell and Ser Balon Swann...”

“Wait, Swann survived the battle in Maegor's Holdfast?” Aegon asked, with a nice surprised look.

“Yes, he was severely injured in the battle, but Maester Pycelle and the Halfmaester expect him to make a full recovery given a few months. Now, Ser Loras killed an alchemist, whom he revealed to be preparing to set off hidden caches of Wildfire under King's Landing. His actions saved ten thousand men and your person, so I pardoned him. I think even you would agree Swann displayed his true colors when he fought to defend Tommen and Myrcella. The other knights that I discharged surrendered the keep without a fight, and even offered to kill the children themselves to 'prove their loyalty.'"

Aegon nodded in agreement with Rolly's decisions. “We're going to need new Kingsguard...” Edoryen spoke up.

“I think I know just the man...” Aegon replied.

Ser Rory Valkyn knelt briefly to Aegon. The Targaryen monarch raised him up. Rory and his brother both served King Robert, Joffrey, and Tommen. Their father had served King Robert personally and died on the Trident, and in reward Robert made their mother the Lady Steward of a small keep near the capital on royal land. Since then, Rory has been in service to the Baratheons, and by consequence the Lannisters as well.

“You showed honor and skill in the keep. Nymeria is on her way back to Dorne, where Prince Doran has arranged a convenient marriage for her to one of his bannermen.” Rolly nodded.

“I have to ask, why are you here? I am a knight, no more. I fuck whores and do my best to bring a little good into the world. I am surely not worthy of you.”

“No, it is I who is not worthy of you. If you would permit it, Ser, I would name you second to my Kingsguard.” The knight was taken aback for a moment.

“Are you sure, your grace?” Surely there are better...”

“Yes, I am sure. I can think of no one better to defend my life and that of my family.” Rory thought about it for a moment, then knelt, and Aegon recited the oaths while Rory repeated them back.

“Rise, then, Ser Rory Valkyn of the Kingsguard. The Red Keep is your home now. Lord Commander Rolly awaits you.

Aegon was on his way back to the Red Keep from the brothel where he had found Rory. To his left was Ser Rory and two company-men, all three on horse-back. The crowd was cheering the return of the Targaryens. The Faith had firmly allied itself with Aegon upon his promise of no more brother-sister unions, and the full support of the crown in the ventures of the Faith. Since then, the poor brothers had been toting Aegon as some sort of saviour. Just a man, or a dragon, perhaps, he thought.

All of a sudden, somebody shouted “Your grace, get down,” and pushed Aegon off his horse. The crowd started panicking, and this mystery person pulled him to his feet. His horse was struck by five and ten arrows, and fell on the street, dead. Young Griff turned to this person, dressed in knights armor. On its chest... extrusions, as if for breasts, and a tree under a falling star. The crowd dispersed very quickly.

Soon enough, most people on the same street as Aegon were gone, leaving him and his small party. “I would know the name of the man who saved my life, Ser,” Aegon said, looking at the visor of the mystery knight. “I am no man, your grace, but hopefully you will find use for me. I am Lady Brienne of Tarth,” the knight said, removing her helmet. “And, if you would have me, I would be of your Kingsguard.”

(Note: I forgot to take a screenshot of the event. Sorry).

Aegon and Arianne were getting settled into the Royal Chambers. While removing Tommen's things, he found a picture of an old silver-haired man. It was coated in layers upon layers of dust. Below the face of the man, in his hands, was a sword with a dragon-shaped hilt. He held it by said hilt, with the point of the blade touching the ground. Beside him stood a woman, also elderly and possessing similar Valyrian features. Around them stood a dozen children, and what were presumably their parents. All of them were smiling. On the dusty frame, the label: “In Memory of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen, My Loving Father.”
Aegon flipped the picture over. Behind it, on the back, the name: Baelon Targaryen. Perhaps it is an omen? He sat the relic that had miraculously survived the Baratheon reign down on a dresser.

Arianne's belly was swollen, and Maester Pycelle, the old maester who had served every king since Aerys II, had said she was coming close to term, as did the Halfmaester who was replacing him.

A knock on the door. “Your Grace, Captain Strickland is requesting an audience.” “Send him in.” The Captain of the Golden Company entered. Aegon felt a certain joy for Strickland, who though the last of his line, had redeemed himself and his family of their crimes during the Blackfyre Rebellions.

“I am here to congratulate you, your grace,” Strickland said as he walked into the room. He turned to Arianne. “Can I have a moment with your husband?” He asked.

“Certainly,” the Princess and Queen replied as she left the room. “I'll be with the Halfmaester,” she told her husband.

Harry moved over to the bed and plopped his bottom down on it. “I hope you don't mind, Your Grace, an old man like me needs his rest.”

Aegon nodded, looking once more at the painting. He retrieved it from where it was sitting and showed Harry. “Do you think I'll live up to them?”

“Why, of course, now...”

“Because sometimes, in my most personal moments, I have my doubts. I doubt my ability to rule such a vast realm. My ancestors possessed dragons. What do I have? Some silver hair and purple eyes? A sense of justice that ends up allowing my enemies to live to haunt me another day?”

The room was silent. Harry broke it. “No king is perfect, your grace. But you can try to be. That's all anybody can ask of you. Here, I have a gift for you.” Harry called to the halls. “Do you know the history of the Blackfyre Rebellions?”

That is an... unusual question. “Yes,” Aegon replied. “The fat wretch of a king I share my name with gave the sword Blackfyre to his bastard son Daemon, who took that as a sign of his right to rule and rose in rebellion against his trueborn brother, Daeron. He lost, and died, and his sons and grandsons tried to reclaim his supposed birthright four more times before Ser Barristan Selmy sent the last one into the ground.”

“What happened to the sword after the Ninepenny Kings?” Harry looked intently at Aegon, who pondered for a second.

“Is this a trick question? Wasn't it lost during the Battle of Bloodstone when Maelys fell?” “No. I have it. We salvaged it when we saw the battle lost, at the cost of some of our best knights.” Two company-men brought a box in, sat it at Harry's feet, and left. Harry bent down to the box, unbuckled the lid, and pulled it open. He reached into it, and retrieved its contents. The sword in the picture... Aegon thought. And then it dawned on him. Blackfyre!

“We salvaged it, and now we have salvaged our honor. Many of us plan on joining the Gold Cloaks...” The old man took a moment to look at his armor and sword for a moment. “I have lived my life by the sword, and I will die by it. I am the last of my line, and I would request that your grace give me a seat on your small council and a position to command your armies.”

“What, so you are going to disband the Golden Company?” Aegon smiled warmly.

“Yes. Our purpose is completed. We have put one of our own on the Iron Throne. Somebody more deserving than the failed pretenders we have served for a century.”

Last edited by JDSweet on Sun Apr 09, 2017 02:48, edited 3 times in total.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sun Apr 02, 2017 04:15

I am going to have another chapter out tomorrow, hopefully, if anybody is wondering. Any critique or thoughts are appreciated. While it is enjoyable writing these, it is always good to know if somebody is following or enjoying these or if I am just posting for my own pleasure.
Last edited by JDSweet on Sun Apr 02, 2017 20:28, edited 2 times in total.
JDSweet

PostPosted by SerPounceForAzorAhai » Sun Apr 02, 2017 07:18

Love the story :) If you could maybe do one as Daemon Blackfyre or Robb Stark when you're done with this series. But again, good work, the writing is incredible.
SerPounceForAzorAhai

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sun Apr 02, 2017 16:24

SerPounceForAzorAhai wrote:Love the story :) If you could maybe do one as Daemon Blackfyre or Robb Stark when you're done with this series. But again, good work, the writing is incredible.

Definitely a Daemon Blackfyre AAR, he has a LOT of role-play drama potential. He reminds me kind of a mash-up of Robb Stark, Aegon the Conqueror, Jaime Lannister, Robert Baratheon, and Cersei Lannister. But that will be a long way off. Aegon still has a LOT of stuff to do before I consider moving on. About 5 years ahead of Egg in-game and a metric crap-load of interesting stuff will happen.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Mon Apr 03, 2017 05:08

Minor Details Not Worthy of Being Mentioned in Chapters

1.) Do y'all want a "State of the Realm" post, or are you okay with the knowledge that pretty much everything is similar to how it started? Only notable occurrences are my console imprisoning Cersei because the Lannisters are really spent force and there is no point spending a year and a half sieging down the entire West. LP's Cersei Lannister, Jon Stark, Robert Arryn, Peytr Baelish, Doran Martell, and Mace Tyrell. No major lords are dead yet.

2.) Nymeria Sand is married (or rather is betrothed) to Lord Edric Dayne who has really promising traits and will likely be a Sword of the Morning, if you were wondering which bannerman Nymeria married.

3.) I have used the console to make Tommen and Myrcella bastards and gave them the surname "Waters". It is unrealistic to expect Aegon to allow them to remain legitimate, even as Lannisters, after the War of the Five Kings.

4.) Aegon I'd still fighting Stannis. Unfortunately the way I wrote it it seems like Jon is at peace with me now, but technically he isn't.

5.) I have not yet handed the Stormlands to a LP officially. Probably the Conningtons, but I am loathe to have two LP's named "Jon". Also, in the "Crowned Dragons" AAR the Conningtons proved rebellious. If that were to happen in the future, who could I give Storm's End to that would both have Baratheon or Connington blood and be noble enough to qualify?

6.) MAJOR SPOILER FOR AAR AND BOOKS
Something you have all thought would happen but can't give hard evidence of happens next chapter. Any guesses? Hide your answers in spoilers ;-)
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Mon Apr 03, 2017 05:20

Also, I don't usually edit these too well, so if you see a major or minor grammatical error or have a suggestion on better wording, feel free to post. I like to improve my writing. ;-)
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Mon Apr 03, 2017 23:07

I was quite abruptly informed by my band director that I will participate in an honor band event, and I signed up for a computer programming competition so I am a bit booked for now. This AAR will be updated next week at the earliest. Sorry for the delay, I know, I dislike it as well. Just letting y'all know this isn't over yet, nor will it be for quite a while. Sorry for the inconvenience.
JDSweet

Next

Return to After Action Reports (AAR)