Noble Houses and Settlements/Places Relocation Project

For any general subject related to the mod

Re: Noble Houses and Settlements/Places Relocation Project

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Fri Aug 04, 2017 15:11

Possible, very minor spoilers about the show below.

As I was moving I had no internet connection for sometime and though I have some internets now I'm still not done moving so I'm unable to search for new stuff. In the mean time, I have seen some scenes from the new season which showed a map of westeros painted in the red keep and painted table of Aegon and watching season 2 again, I noticed the first episode also had the painted table with some castles visible on it. If anyone is interested, can you please check those out so we may have some semi-canon info on some places?
Because he's the king that Westeros deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll fight him, because he can take it. He is a teeth gritting guardian. He is pure iron. A truly just man.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:33

Region: Crownlands

House: House Brune of Dyre Den

Reason:

- The map of Westeros Cersei gets painted on the floor shows Dyre Den near the tip of Crackclaw peninsula and north of the Whispers. HBO maps have their mistakes ( Painted map has faircastle where Kayce should be and Rook's Rest is named Rook's Nest in Cersei's map) but it is better than nothing.

- Some quotes from AFFC 20 Brienne
Spoiler: show
The next day the road dwindled to a pebbled thread, and finally to a mere suggestion. Near midday, it came to an abrupt end at the foot of a wind-carved cliff. Above, a small castle stood frowning over the waves, its three crooked towers outlined against a leaden sky. "Is that the Whispers?" Podrick asked.

"That look a bloody ruin t' you?" Crabb spat. "That's the Dyre Den, where old Lord Brune keeps his seat. Road ends here, though. It's the pines for us from here on."

Brienne studied the cliff. "How do we get up there?"

Lord Brune's castle dwindled at their backs, and soon was lost to sight. Sentinels and soldier pines rose all around them, towering green-clad spears thrusting toward the sky. The forest floor was a bed of fallen needles as thick as a castle wall, littered with pinecones. The hooves of their horses seemed to make no sound. It rained a bit, stopped for a time, then started once again, but amongst the pines they scarce felt a drop.

They made camp early that night, after they came down a hill and found themselves on the edge of a glistening green bog. In the grey-green light, the ground ahead looked solid enough, but when they'd ridden out it had swallowed their horses up to their withers. They had to turn and fight their way back onto more solid footing. "It's no matter," Crabb assured them. "We'll go back up the hill and come down another way."
Though there's no mention of which way they went after passing Dyre Den, they could have kept going north and east then went south again.

House: Crabb

Reason:
- Whispers is a ruin and conversation between Brienne and Dick Crabb suggests he might have been part of Lord Brune's army. In spoiler is a quote

It was on her lips to ask her guide which king Lord Brune had espoused, but it made no matter any longer. Brune's sons were gone; some might not be coming back. We will have no hospitality here tonight. A castle full of old men, women, and children was not like to open its doors to armed strangers. "You speak of Lord Brune as if you know him," she said to Nimble Dick.

"Might be I did, once."

She glanced at the breast of his doublet. Loose threads and a ragged patch of darker fabric showed where some badge had been torn away. Her guide was a deserter, she did not doubt. Could the rider behind them be one of his brothers-in-arms?
Because he's the king that Westeros deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll fight him, because he can take it. He is a teeth gritting guardian. He is pure iron. A truly just man.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 13:27

Not exactly a relocation, this will need a small redrawing of the map if it will be done.

Region: Reach

Place: Highgarden

Location: It is within the area of it's current county, but north of the Mander.

Reason: -One Dornish King crossed the Mander to sack Highgarden during Manderly and Peake rivarlry over Kingdom of the Reach

Next will probably be several houses and places from northern reach including Stackhouse, Old Oak, Standfast, Coldmoat, Golden Grove.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 18:39

While doing research for these, I've encountered some stuff (such as which houses married/could marry into which houses, which ones has twice the smallfolk of the other, how many houses they have sworn to them...) that could be used to determine the relative power of a house within their own region and what house is/should be similar to them in other regions.

One example of such is the list of houses Osgreys married to, given by Ser Eustace Osgrey. After giving a list of houses, he says Osgreys "even married to" Blackwoods and Hightowers, which, at the time, would suggest that the relative power of Blackwoods, or their "tier", within their region was comparable to those of Hightowers within theirs. This also suggests Osgreys were comparable in relative power (and more likely also power) to the Blackwoods.

In future additions, I may, if I can find any, use such information to give additional suggestions as towhich houses should get a High Lordship, how many counties (and baronies) these Highlordships could have and what should be the level of their castles.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:31

Place: Standfast

Place: Leafylake

Location: It should be North-East of Coldmoat. It is currently a barony under Coldmoat, I suggest making it a barony under Dosk county.

Reason: Quotes in the spoiler.

The stream flowed north and east when it was flowing, so he turned Thunder south and west.
He had not ridden a dozen yards before Bennis caught him. "I best come see you don't get hanged."
He pushed a fresh sourleaf into his mouth. "Past that clump o' sandwillows, the whole right bank is spider land."

"Osgrey?" The septon glanced at the Longinch. "Osgrey of the chequy lion? I thought House Osgrey was extinguished."

"Near enough as makes no matter. The old man is the last of them. We let him keep a crumbling towerhouse a few leagues east." Ser Lucas frowned at Dunk. "If Ser Eustace wants to talk with her ladyship, let him come himself." His eyes narrowed. "You were the one with Bennis at the dam. Don't trouble to deny it. I ought to hang you."

"We'll take the west way," Ser Eustace announced. "It is little used these past years, but still the shortest way from Standfast to Coldmoat Castle." The path took them around back of the hill, past the graves where the old knight had laid his wife and sons to rest in a thicket of blackberry bushes. "They loved to pick the berries here, my boys. When they were little they would come to me with sticky faces and scratches on their arms, and I'd know just where they'd been." He smiled fondly. "Your Egg reminds me of my Addam. A brave boy, for one so young. Addam was trying to protect his wounded brother Harrold when the battle washed over them. A riverman with six acorns on his shield took his arm off with an ax." His sad gray eyes found Dunk's. "This old master of yours, the knight of Pennytree . . . did he fight in the Blackfyre Rebellion?"

Ser Eustace reined up. "A tree cat. I had not known there were any left in this wood. I wonder what killed him." When no one answered, he said, "I will turn back here. Just continue on the west way and it will take you straight to Coldmoat. You have the coin?" Dunk nodded. "Good. Come home with my water, ser." The old knight trotted off, back the way they'd come.

"It was a grant of rights, ser. To Lord Wyman Webber, from the king. For his leal service in the late rebellion, Lord Wyman and his descendants were granted all rights to the Chequy Water, from where it rises in the Horseshoe Hills to the shores of Leafy Lake. It also said that Lord Wyman and his descendants should have the right to take red deer and boar and rabbits in Wat's Wood whene'er it pleased them, and to cut twenty trees from the wood each year." The boy cleared his throat. "The grant was only for a time, though. The paper said that if Ser Eustace were to die without a male heir of his body, Standfast would revert to the crown, and Lord Webber's privileges would end."

A few green trees still stood where the west way crossed the Chequy Water. Their trunks were charred and blackened on one side. Just beyond, the water glimmered darkly. Blue and green, Dunk thought, but all the gold is gone. The smoke had veiled the sun.

Ser Eustace halted when he reached the water's edge. "I took a holy vow. I will not cross that stream.

House: Stackhouse

Location: With the current map I suggest moving it to where Standfast currently is.

Reason:
- Stackhouses have a claim to Horseshoe hills, which is located in the southern parts of the Webber lands, so they should share a border with them but not in the northern side of Webber lands.

- They should also be vassals of Rowans, just like Webbers, as a feudal lord Rowans wouldn't let lands of their vassals to pass to another lord, who is likely also a vassal under a different great lord.

House: Conklyn

Location: They should be moved to current Dosk County, but perhaps under a different name.

Reason: Rohanne Webber mentions Ser Conklyn has a claim on Leafy Lake. Chequy Water flows north-east and ends at Leafy Lake.

Reason:
For the moment, though, the tangled underbrush along the Chequy Water was still thick with thorny vines, nettles, and tangles of briarwhite and young willow. Rather than fight through it, they crossed the dry streambed to the Coldmoat side, where the trees had been cleared away for pasture. Amongst the parched brown grasses and faded wildflowers, a few black-nosed sheep were grazing. "Never knew an animal stupid as a sheep," Ser Bennis commented. "Think they're kin to you, lunk?" When Dunk did not reply, he laughed his chicken laugh again.

"Wat's Wood once extended all the way to Coldmoat," Ser Eustace said. "I do not recall who Wat was. Before the Conquest you could find aurochs in his wood, though, and great elks of twenty hands and more. There were more red deer than any man could take in a lifetime, for none but the king and the chequy lion were allowed to hunt here. Even in my father's day, there were trees on both sides of the stream, but the spiders cleared the woods away to make pasture for their cows and sheep and horses."

Place: Old Oak

Reason: It is roughly where it is currently, but moving it a bit south would allow two things, another county between Old Oak and Westerlands-Reach border, and a county that is North-West of Webber lands to move Leafy Lake as a barony for a dispute between Lady Webber and Ser Conklyn (From the Sworn Sword)

The reason to give a county between the Westerlands-Reach border and Old Oak is below in spoiler.

The first Lancel Lannister (known, of course, as Lancel the Lion) rode to war against the Gardener kings of Highgarden and conquered the Reach as far south as Old Oak before being felled in battle. (His son, Loreon III, lost all his father had gained and earned the mocking name Loreon the Limp).

Highlordship: Northmarch

Borders: It should contain HL of Redlake as de jure, (currently before conquest it is under Osgrey Rule but not a dejure part of it)

Reason:

-House Crane, along with houses Rowan and Old Oak, is descended from Gardeners and was added into Reach in a peaceful way, so they were likely sworn directly to Highgarden at first. But they were, at least for sometime, under Osgrey rule, being part of the Northmarch.

-Lancel IV is said to have beheaded the ironborn king Harrald Halfdrowned and his heir with a single stroke of the Valyrian steel greatsword Brightroar at the Battle of Lann's Point; he later died in battle at Red Lake whilst attempting to invade the Reach. TWOIAF

- House Crane, along with house Mullendore were mentioned to be principal houses sworn to Highgarden in the appendix of Game of Thrones but house Mullendore is later shown as sworn to Hightowers, and Cranes are not mentioned to be among the principal bannerman of Tyrells, with also no mention of a lord Crane. Among the known Cranes, however, there are three sers, Vortimer, master-at-arms of Highgarden, Parmen, the purple of Renly's KG, and Vortimer, married to Rylene Florent, sister of Lord Alester Florent (Alester is also married to a Crane, Meredyth) They may have lost the title of Lord sometime in the past and sworn themselves to Osgreys, which is not something unheard of; House Connington is one example of a house losing the right to be a lordship in the near past of the saga and House Charlton is an example of a house swearing themselves to another, evidenced by being an older house than the Freys. Another example would be Toletts, an Andal house who fought against the first men united under House Royce being sworn to them, even though the first men lost to the Andals fighting under Arryns.

- Another case of a "cadet house" of House Gardener being sworn under another house is House Beesbury being sworn to Hightowers. So not all "cadets" of the Gardeners are sworn directly to the seat of Highgarden.

Another solution for Highmarch and Red lake could be leaving Red Lake highlordship as it currently is but making it defunct with houses under it sworn to Northmarch, like it is with House Manderly - Broken Branch.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Andre Massena » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:49

I think Penrose/Parchments should be a High Lord instead of being sworn to Tarth with Haystack Hall and Drakesgrave as its vassals.Tarth would remain as a High Lord but would just have its island.

Reasons:
-There is no mention of the Penrose being sworn to Tarth
-It would seem impractical for Tarth to have vassals on the mainland since it is an island
-There is already precedent in the Arbor for an island-only high lordship
-The Penroses have twice married Targaryens, which puts them in the company of the Arryns, Baratheons, and Martells as the only non-Valaryian houses to have multiple Targaryen matches. This indicates they are likely higher-tier lords.
Andre Massena

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Wed Aug 23, 2017 21:08

Place: Horn Hill

Reason: - World of Ice and Fire and ADWD map of the south has Horn Hill north of between the two rivers that form the Torrentine, closer to the western one.

High Lordship: Horn Hill

Borders: It should be made up of the current counties of Fawn Crag, Horn Hill and Yelshire with the addition of current counties of Bardshome or Starpike if it is to retain some strength in county numbers.

Reason:

The largest and most populous of the six southern kingdoms (the North, vast in expanse though thinly peopled, being a land apart) is commonly referred to as the Reach, but this name is somewhat of a misnomer. The domains of House Tyrell, the Lords of Highgarden, now largely correspond with those of the Kingdom of the Reach as it existed for thousands of years before Aegon's Conquest, but that rich and fertile realm was, in fact, once comprised of four kingdoms:

Oldtown and its environs, bounded by the Red Mountains to the east and the headwaters of the Honeywine in the north.

The Arbor, the golden island beyond the Redwyne Strait, famed for wine and sunshine.

The western marches, from Horn Hill to Nightsong.

The Reach proper, a vast expanse of fields and farms, lakes and rivers, hills and woods and fragrant meadows, mills and mines, dotted with small villages, thriving market towns, and ancient castles, stretching from the Shield Islands in the Sunset Sea, up the mouth of the Mander, past Highgarden, to Red Lake, Goldengrove, and Bitterbridge, as far as Tumbleton and the Mander's headwaters.

House: Inchfield

Reason: We only know of two Inchfields so far, Sers Owen and Lucas. We do not have much on them, nor the Inchfields, but Ser Lucas was castellan to Webbers and lords usually, if not alwasys have their castellans from among their bannermen, so Inchfields are likely to be a knightly house in service to Webbers.

To be added soon are Dunstonbury and Starpike.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Thu Aug 31, 2017 18:32

Highlordship: Dunstonbury

Borders: It should have current Darkdell and Middlebury counties and if Highgarden's southern part if the county area is reworked as I suggested earlier. One of the counties could then have the Dunstonbury barony moved to it (or perhaps named to Dunstonbury). I'm thinking Current Darkdell would be a good place as it is closer to the mouth of Mander.

Highlordship: Starpike

Borders: With the map as it is, current Counties of Sommerset and Hunt Hills would but the better placement with some map work would be Bardshome and another county (or two) made by taking some territory from the northern part of current Yelshire and/or Hornhill counties.

Reason:

- Manderlys get their name from the Mander (or the other way around) so their lands must be on the shores of it. Before being exiled, they became a rich and powerful house, likely due to trade, the same way they became rich in the North, so they must be close to sea, but not where Mander flows to the sea as there is no mention of Manderlys being troubled by Ironborn, who had the shield islands in the past. Another thing suggesting they are closer to where Mander ends than where it begins is Gardener kings went up the headwaters of Mander only after they resolved the Peake-Manderly quarrel and had them swear fealty.

- Peakes' and their castle's name suggest their lands are located on some high ground and only such land we know of in the Reach is the Dornish Marches. They should also be close/bordering the Manderly lands because of their feud/rivalry.

- According to semicanon (unreleased/changed World book material) one Targaryen king(can't name him now) died in the Dornish Marches during Peake Uprising. In the World book he dies in Starpike.

-
The largest and most populous of the six southern kingdoms (the North, vast in expanse though thinly peopled, being a land apart) is commonly referred to as the Reach, but this name is somewhat of a misnomer. The domains of House Tyrell, the Lords of Highgarden, now largely correspond with those of the Kingdom of the Reach as it existed for thousands of years before Aegon's Conquest, but that rich and fertile realm was, in fact, once comprised of four kingdoms:

Oldtown and its environs, bounded by the Red Mountains to the east and the headwaters of the Honeywine in the north.

The Arbor, the golden island beyond the Redwyne Strait, famed for wine and sunshine.

The Reach proper, a vast expanse of fields and farms, lakes and rivers, hills and woods and fragrant meadows, mills and mines, dotted with small villages, thriving market towns, and ancient castles, stretching from the Shield Islands in the Sunset Sea, up the mouth of the Mander, past Highgarden, to Red Lake, Goldengrove, and Bitterbridge, as far as Tumbleton and the Mander's headwaters.

The western marches, from Horn Hill to Nightsong.

That being said, many scholars still believe that the greatest of the Gardener kings were the peacemakers, not the fighters. Fewer songs are sung of them, it is true, but in the annals of history the names of Garth III (the Great), Garland II (the Bridegroom), Gwayne III (the Fat), and John II (the Tall) are writ large. Garth the Great extended the borders of his realm northward, winning Old Oak, Red Lake, and Goldengrove with pacts of friendship and mutual defense. Garland accomplished the same in the south, bringing Oldtown into his kingdom by wedding his daughter to Lymond (the Sea Lion) of House Hightower, whilst putting his own wives aside to marry Lord Lymond's daughter. Gwayne the Fat persuaded Lord Peake and Lord Manderly to accept his judgment on their quarrel, and do fealty for their lands, without fighting a single battle. John the Tall sailed his barge up the Mander to its very headwaters, planting the banner of the green hand wherever he went and receiving homage from the lords and petty kings whose lands lined that mighty river's banks.

Region: Riverlands

House: Heddle

Location: A barony under current Deddington county (which I suggested earlier that Butterwells should be moved to) or maybe Harroway's town county.

Reason: Heddles exist since at least the days of Aerys I. First heddle we know of is Tomard Heddle, son-in-law to Ambrose Butterwell. Butterwell had two other daughters who were also married into noble houses. One of the daughters was married to a Risley, a house we know little of and possibly a knightly one as the only member known to us is a Knight, but the other one was married to a Costayne, a lordly house sworn to Hightowers, with enough significance that they are mentioned to be among the houses that declared for Queen Rhaenyra. Butterwells were also a very rich house at the time so marrying a daughter to a landless knight or a household knight makes no sense because he can arrange a generous dowry. Since Tomard Heddle commanded Whitewalls' garrison, it is likely heddles are/were a vassal house to Butterwells

Region: Riverlands

Highlordship: Bay of Crabs

Borders: Split it into 2 (or 3 if you prefer) duchies; Maidenpool as a single county duchy and another duchy with counties of Harroway's Town and current Deddington.

Reason:
- Randyll Tarly is near obsessed with the status of his house and himself, Dickon's marriage to a Mooton would confirm Mootons to be on par to Tarlys as a noble. Maidenpool was and still is a busy port and once tried to conquer the Crackclaw peninsula, meaning the Mooton's would be somewhat rich and powerful.

- House Roote owns Harroway's Town but the house existed even before the extinction of Harroways (44 AC), as evidenced by Richard Roote one of the first knights to join the kingsguard (10 AC)

- After wiping the House Harroway, Maegor decreed strongest of their knights would get Harrenhal but not all the lands. We do not know who granted Harroway's town to Rootes but they certainly get control of it after this time. With no mention of Roote's in the time between Richard Roote/Harroway extinction and current events, and with the knowledge that a nearby rich house(Butterwells) lost 9/10 of their lands during this time, it is possible that Rootes perhaps once served to Butterwells, a house both close to Harrenhal and very rich, with extensive lands, but somehow not mentioned until Aegon IVs days who may also got their rich and extensive lands after Harrenhal lands were distributed. It would also be both a good representation of Butterwells once being a powerful lord but losing their lands and power, and an explanation why Heddles, serving under Butterwells, own land where the inn at crossroads is located.

Next will be on some border adjustments for lands of houses Merryweather, Ashford, Meadows and Fossoway (of Cider Hall)

Some reasons on Merryweathers as a preview of sorts :lol:

"They'll suffice." Jaime had no quarrel with his cousins. "You still require a Hand, however. If not our uncle, who?"

His sister laughed. "Not you. Have no fear on that count. Perhaps Taena's husband. His grandfather was Hand under Aerys."

The horn-of-plenty Hand. Jaime remembered Owen Merryweather well enough; an amiable man, but ineffectual. "As I recall, he did so well that Aerys exiled him and seized his lands."

"Robert gave them back. Some, at least. Taena would be pleased if Orton could recover the rest."
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 21:30

Highlordship: Grassyvale

Borders: If no redrawing is to be made, move it to current Roseford county or keep it where it is and make it a two county duchy with Roseford. If it will be redrawn, Roseford and the northern portion of current grassy vale could be made into two or three counties to give Meadows a duchy of two or three counties located North of Blueburn and perhaps also the

Reason: Grassyvale is located to the north of Blueburn

Highlordship: Ashford

Borders: If no redraw will be made, it should have Hastwyck, Ashford and current Starpike counties, and perhaps also Holyhall. If a redraw will be made, Ashford county should be split north and south, with Hastwyck and maybe current Starpike part of it.

Reason: Ashford is located North of Cockleswhent while Ashford Meadows are located south of Cockleswhent.

High Lordship: Longtable

Borders: It can include Appleton and perhaps New Barrel. It can also include current Grassyvale or the southern portion of it if it is to be made a powerful duchy. I'd also move the Merryweathers to current New Barrel so as to make them only have territory south of Blueburn.

Reason: They held more lands before the mad king as said in the previous post.

Highlordship: Bitterbridge

Borders: Bitterbridge and current Longtable.

Reason: From Catelyn's POV where she goes to Renly, it looks as if Caswells own territory on both sides of the Mander, current Longtable county could be added into a duchy after Merryweather lands are moved to make them south of Blueburn only.

Additional Information: For relocation of the houses in the reach, information from Catelyn's bitterbridge POV can be used; Houses known to be present at the tourney there should all be located to the south of Bitterbridge, or to the West of it (Rowans, for example). Houses not known to be present at the tourney should all be located to the north of it, if there's no information on their wherabouts.

Region: Stormlands

House: Selmy

Reason: Harvest Hall is located to the south of Cockleswhent.

Region: Dorne

House: Shells

Reason: "A second, rival High King of Dorne also existed during the times of the First Men, ruling from a great wooden motte-and-bailey castle on the south bank of Greenwood near Lemonwood, where the river flows into the Summer Sea. This was a curious kingship, for whenever a king died, his successor was chosen by election from amongst a dozen noble families that had settled along the river or the eastern shores. The Wades, Shells, Holts, Brooks, Hulls, Lakes, Brownhills, and Briars all threw up kings who ruled from the high hall amongst the lemon trees, but in the end this curious system broke down when a disputed election set the royal houses to warring against one another. After a generation of conflict, three of the old houses were wiped from the earth, and the once-powerful river realm had shattered into a dozen quarrelsome petty kingdoms."

They are not extinct as evidenced by Garibald Shells, companion to Arianne Martell.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Wed Sep 06, 2017 22:39

Highlordship: Dragonstone

Borders: it should include the clawmen lords and also the Masseys.

Reason: -Dick Crabb, a clawmen has the badge of his lord ripped off from his doublet, possibly because he was on the losing side.

-He also says they are all good dragon men up crackclaw way. Most of the other good dragon men in crownlands are sworn to Stannis (Celtigars, Bar Emmons, Velaryons). Only exception is the Masseys and that may not be an exception either seeing how we aren't told who they are sworn to and with Justin Massey fighting for Stannis, they may have been sworn to him after all.
Corvo the Crow

PostPosted by Corvo the Crow » Tue Sep 19, 2017 17:09

House: Farring

Reason: Bryen Farring is Stannis' squire when Melisandre burns the seven and Stannis leaves Gilbert Farring as commander to Storm's End garrison. They were definitely with him from the start, so they are most likely sworn to Dragonstone.
Corvo the Crow

Previous

Return to General Discussion