AGOT Traits Expanded v0.4

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

AGOT Traits Expanded v0.4

PostPosted by foxwillow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 04:09

:o

So

Long story super short, this mod re-does the hell out of the traits in AGOT/CK2 and the point is to make the game more realistic and a little more challenging for human players by:

• Changing how previously congenital traits are assigned to characters. Newborns are not "Strong" or "Genius," so I went about coming up with a way for children to acquire these traits in their development.
  • More traits! Everyone's favorite!
  • Bringing heredity into the fold. Every characters parents and grandparents determine their traits

DOWNLOAD IT YEP
Current version v0.4
Compatible with CK2 v2.7.1 and beyond? maybe?
Compatible with AGOT v1.4.1 and beyond? maybe?

THE FEATURES:
Code: Select all
:: Vanilla spectrum for intelligence [Imbecile][Slow][Normal][Quick][Genius] is the inspiration for the mod's beginning. I really like 2-tier negative and 2-tier positive for each concept. This was the only vanilla spectrum that was 2-tiered in both directions. One of the things I took to was making sure the mod worked well with the current character set, so people would not have to edit characters.
:: True Congenitals - Only a few traits in the game are truly congenital from a realism standpoint. While things like hunchback, dwarf, and a clubfoot are birth conditions, strength, intelligence, and speech impediments are not. So almost all of what CK2 considers congenitals I have now changed --
:: Children will gain traits (Genius, Strong, etc), depending on their genealogy (mother, father, paternal grandparents, maternal grandparents) during a relevant period of time in development.

:: Congenitals - [Clubfooted] and [Harelip] and [Hunchback] **[Dwarf]**[Giant]
:: Intelligence - [Imbecile][Dumb][Normal][Smart][Genius] Ages 6-12
:: Wittiness - [Foolish][Slow][Normal][Quick][Clever] Ages 8-14
:: Strength - [Fragile][Weak][Normal][Strong][Powerful] Ages 11-15
:: Fitness - [Unfit][Lazy][Normal][Lively][Athletic] Ages 9-12
:: Appearance - [Ugly][Homely][Normal][Attractive][Beautiful (for women)][Handsome (for Men)] Ages 10-13
:: Height - [Dwarf][Short][Normal][Tall][Giant] Ages 10-14 **Dwarf and Giant are acquired at birth only
:: Health - [Prone][Normal][Hardy] Ages 10-11
:: Fertility - [Infertile][Normal][Fertile] Ages 16-17
:: Speech Problems - [Stutter] and [Lisp] Ages 3-6

:: What each trait does has been tweaked, and the Vanilla intelligence spectrum has been broken down into two spectrums, one for more "book smarts" one for more "street smarts."
:: Beautiful is a stronger trait than Handsome, it stands to reason that middle ages women would have used their looks to their advantage in typically patriarchal society to a larger extent than men would.
:: Event-driven trait assignment that assigns traits to all players on startup, and birth, that give hidden traits to characters that track the congenital traits their parents had, so they can be applied to their offspring.

THE FUTURE?:
:: "Old Age" Traits. Once I get the logic fully worked out, I want to add flavor that makes characters 50+ interesting to be playing: Wise, Senile, Forgetful, Crotchety, Gratified, and Brittle are the traits I will get into adding. Somewhat rare, Wise will be the trait we all hope for -- the culmination of years of experience, where the character is adept at using their gained knowledge in the correct circumstances, and there's even a chance to continue to get wiser. Kind of the opposite with Senile and Forgetful, which I have seen people say is "Incapable," but no, people can definitely still run a territory, even well, while senile.
:: Types of Intelligence. Back in 1983, Howard Gardener identified 9 different kinds of intelligence.
http://fundersandfounders.com/9-types-of-intelligence/
I want to make these as traits in-game that characters have a chance to get at a certain age, with probabilities based on their learning skill. I like coming up with ways to make the learning skill relevant in AGOT, and this one may be fun.
:: Traits for specific families and bloodlines - maybe

THE CHANGELOG:
:: Just kidding, there's nearly no way I keep this maintained.
:: v0.4 :: lol it's working. fixes galore.
:: v0.3 :: Cleaned up code. Changed things so there's no startup events now.
:: v0.2 :: I fixed a thing so it works kinda.
:: v0.1 :: I made a thing.

DOWNLOAD IT YEP

THE END STUFF:
I'm super down for discussion, also please leave me comments and bugs. I've literally never coded a mod before and this whole thing may seem simple to other people, but it was a big undertaking for me that took like several days. :D
Last edited by foxwillow on Wed May 10, 2017 06:25, edited 7 times in total.
foxwillow
Mod Team

Re: AGOT Traits Expanded v0.1

PostPosted by foxwillow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 04:13

Also, I suspect this will work with any version, but my knowledge isn't the greatest. I mean, it almost entirely revolves around on_birth and on_yearly_pulse events, so unless those have been somehow broken, it should be fine

Also if you look at this, yes, you don't know whether your six year old kid is a genius or not when you choose their education. Such is life.
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by foxwillow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 05:26

erm, had a mess up there, fixed
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Tue Apr 25, 2017 06:36

Looks interesting.

I'm not exactly clear on the difference (in game terms) between intelligence and wittiness, or where exactly fitness comes into play, but I guess I can just download it and take a look.I don't suppose you've gone through all the history files to make sure key characters get the right traits as that would probably take forever.
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by foxwillow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 13:59

DownTheDrain wrote:Looks interesting.

I'm not exactly clear on the difference (in game terms) between intelligence and wittiness, or where exactly fitness comes into play, but I guess I can just download it and take a look.I don't suppose you've gone through all the history files to make sure key characters get the right traits as that would probably take forever.

yeah, i haven't touched history, but all characters should keep the right traits anyway. it's a lot to put in the original post, so i tried not to get too indepth.

for example, i kept "quick" as the trait name and localized it as "Smart," this means characters like Olenna and Dany will have "Smart" instead of quick.

**EDIT: to clarify, while i made a bunch of new stuff, all characters in game will still make sense under the old stuff. The old "Quick" is now called "Smart" and characters with that will still be balanced similarly. this means the Fitness spectrum, Health, Fertility and Wittiness are going to populate in-game randomly on generation of characters, and also as young characters age, and the characters in the database will retain their old traits and still be basically the same.

reason being, Vanilla Strong made people healthier, and more attractive, etc, etc. There were actually several aspects to a person's characteristics all rolled up into one with strong. So fitness and strength are similar, but more how you would picture them realistically - strength is your ability to lift, etc, and fitness is how quick and healthy you are.

honestly, a big motivator was doing something new instead of all the multiplayer games my friends and i play where the entire goal we have is to just whore genius. so genius got a nerf, while keeping it the best trait in the game, and also breaking it down into clever vs genius, kind of as i had with strength vs fitness.

now i need to fix something again as i broke characters generating with traits. already on v0.2 :p
Last edited by foxwillow on Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by foxwillow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:07

and v0.2 up
foxwillow
Mod Team

Re: AGOT Traits Expanded v0.2

PostPosted by Ktulu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:24

foxwillow wrote:[*]Bringing heredity into the fold. Every characters parents and grandparents determine their traits[/list]

I'm excited about this. Gonna try it!
Ktulu

PostPosted by foxwillow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:44

Ktulu wrote:
foxwillow wrote:[*]Bringing heredity into the fold. Every characters parents and grandparents determine their traits[/list]

yarr!

grandparents have a minor influence on traits (for balance) but it's still there. for example i think i have it at something like a 19% overall chance at getting genius from a parent, and it's about 1/3 of that for each grandparent. so it's like a 19% chance for mom, 19% chance for dad, 7% chance for mom's dad, 7% chance for dad's dad.. etc.
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Tue Apr 25, 2017 16:08

foxwillow wrote:
Ktulu wrote:

yarr!

grandparents have a minor influence on traits (for balance) but it's still there. for example i think i have it at something like a 19% overall chance at getting genius from a parent, and it's about 1/3 of that for each grandparent. so it's like a 19% chance for mom, 19% chance for dad, 7% chance for mom's dad, 7% chance for dad's dad.. etc.

How much room is there for randomness?
Can a fairly "normal" family have the occasional genius, or moron, or super athlete even without any parent or grandparent having the necessary traits?
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by foxwillow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 16:24

DownTheDrain wrote:
foxwillow wrote:yarr!

How much room is there for randomness?
Can a fairly "normal" family have the occasional genius, or moron, or super athlete even without any parent or grandparent having the necessary traits?

currently set up for all traits to come in randomly very slightly more often than in vanilla.
also all tier 1 traits (lively instead of athletic, smart instead of genius, etc) are even more possible

the odds of a vanilla child having genius if both parents dont have it is 0.5%, right now i have it at 0.8367%
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Tue Apr 25, 2017 16:39

Hrm, trying to use this with a ruler designer custom character made me crash, twice.
Might be an incompatibility with another submod though, I'll see how it goes if I only load your submod and DLC Portraits (can't play without that).
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by foxwillow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 17:11

tested again, i'm not crashing. let me know if you figure it out
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by Tanitanino » Tue Apr 25, 2017 21:01

Would you be possibly interested in cooperating with LancelotLoire and his Congenital Overhaul to create a big and wonderous mod? 8-)

Nice job - must have taken a while!
Tanitanino

PostPosted by livelikeme14 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 06:12

seems like a fantastic submod but it is crashing no matter what i do
livelikeme14

PostPosted by foxwillow » Wed Apr 26, 2017 07:07

livelikeme14 wrote:seems like a fantastic submod but it is crashing no matter what i do

what other submod are you using? and what version of AGOT and CK2

me and a friend have been playing multiplayer with it, so i know it works for some of us at least :p
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by livelikeme14 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 15:17

foxwillow wrote:
livelikeme14 wrote:seems like a fantastic submod but it is crashing no matter what i do

me and a friend have been playing multiplayer with it, so i know it works for some of us at least :p

Lol i feel stupid i didnt read the version warning, cant wait till its updated for 2.7
livelikeme14

PostPosted by foxwillow » Wed Apr 26, 2017 17:22

livelikeme14 wrote:
foxwillow wrote:

Lol i feel stupid i didnt read the version warning, cant wait till its updated for 2.7

it uh, should work with 2.7 though

im not testing it on 2.7 yet but ugh, i don't see why it wouldn't work
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by DownTheDrain » Wed Apr 26, 2017 23:30

foxwillow wrote:im not testing it on 2.7 yet but ugh, i don't see why it wouldn't work

For what it's worth, it doesn't work for me either on 2.7.0.2 and AGOT 1.4.
CKII loads up just fine but then immediately crashes after I selected or created a character and try to launch any scenario. I tried without any submods and the error log doesn't seem to show anything out of the ordinary, so there's not a whole lot I can do to help sort this out.
DownTheDrain

PostPosted by foxwillow » Thu Apr 27, 2017 13:48

DownTheDrain wrote:
foxwillow wrote:im not testing it on 2.7 yet but ugh, i don't see why it wouldn't work

CKII loads up just fine but then immediately crashes after I selected or created a character and try to launch any scenario. I tried without any submods and the error log doesn't seem to show anything out of the ordinary, so there's not a whole lot I can do to help sort this out.

hm, this is weird, but right now i am assuming it is my on_startup event, which i don't need and i can code it another way... it's just odd that it's working fine for us on 2.6.3

looks like i'll be tinkering and changing things and see how they go :D
foxwillow
Mod Team

PostPosted by livelikeme14 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 04:41

foxwillow wrote:
DownTheDrain wrote:

hm, this is weird, but right now i am assuming it is my on_startup event, which i don't need and i can code it another way... it's just odd that it's working fine for us on 2.6.3

looks like i'll be tinkering and changing things and see how they go :D

YAY :D :D :D :D
livelikeme14

Next

Return to Sub-Mods