Lord of the Tides

Post your mod AARs and stories here

Lord of the Tides

PostPosted by Etzel » Sat May 13, 2017 01:00

With the newest release of CK2 AGOT Mod now available, I thought I would write another AAR. This was an idea I had been playing with for some time now, but never got around to writing it, or for that matter even playing it. This AAR will begin shortly after King Robert's crowning from the perspective of Lord Monford Velaryon, Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides.

My first post should be up some time today or tomorrow morning. I hope you all enjoy.
Working on Targaryen Dynasty AAR
Working on Dothraki AAR
Working on Wildling AAR
Etzel

Re: Lord of the Tides

PostPosted by Etzel » Sat May 13, 2017 07:03

Chapter 1

I will see him removed from the throne and his younger brother destroyed as well, he vowed once again. When Robert began his rebellion, I had been too young to fight and help ensure that the Targaryens stayed in their seat of power. Now I was only seventeen years but already knighted and with my father's death the Master of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides.

Over the centuries few minor Houses like my own had achieved so much. House Velaryon was the first of the Valyrion Houses to come to Westeros during the days of Old Valyria, Valaena Velaryon was mother to King Aegon the Conqueror, Corlys Velaryon was the first Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and many Velaryons have sat on the Small Council as Master of Ships, Hand of the Queen, riders of dragons, or married to the King of Westeros. We had been loyal subjects to the Dragons. Then this upstart rose in revolt to their just and noble rule. The man even slew his friend and mentor, Rhaegar Targaryen. What a fine King he would have made.

It was now time to rebuild and see what would come next. The Targaryens were dead, or fled across the Narrow Sea, and his father died during the horrific storm which also sank most of the royal navy. The Baratheons sat on the throne and as Lords of Dragonstone. Everything seemed against him, but Monford Velaryon swore he would see the Baratheons removed from their ill gotten throne.

Watching the flames crackle before him, Monford was lost in thought. Nevertheless, his eyes wandered to those around him. Standing beside him with nearly the same warmth as the blazing fire was his wife, Marianne. She was of a very minor House only recently come across the Narrow Sea from Volantis, but how did he love her.

Still young and only newly wed, they had no children of their own. Yet, they found themselves raising an eight year old boy. Aurane was his half-brother through a one night stand between his father and some said a minor Lannister. It was at the Lannisport Tourney to honor the birth of Viserys Targaryen, last living male Targaryen, where his father put out his seed in another woman other than his mother. Aurane Waters was still his brother and Monford promised to see the boy raised well.

There was few others of any importance. His family had been cut down to himself and a bastard. Driftmark was without any great knights as they were more skilled at naval battles than war on land. Even that strength had been eroded by the great storm the previous year.

With the fall of House Targaryen, that left just his own House Velaryon, the Celtigars of Claw Island, and the Sunglass of Sweetport Sound who held power in Westeros with blood of Valyria running through our veins. All of which now were forced to swear fealty to Stannis Baratheon who had control of Dragonstone. Some considered the Baratheons to be Valyrian but not I.

Only Guncer Sunglass, Lord of Sweetport Sound, came to honor his father at his funeral. Some thought the funeral odd as his father had went down with his ship during the storm, but Monford wished to still pay homage to his father any way he could. Even if there was no body to burn in the Valyrian custom.

Lord Guncer was a good man who Monford would look to for strength and friendship. The man even brought his own Septon to say a few words to honor his father. Driftmarks own Septon had died along with his father and so many other people from the island. As the flames danced from one chunk of wood to another, Monford could not help but wonder if any of the wreckage which had washed up on the shores of Driftmark had belonged to his father's own ship.

These flames reminded him of his own anger and fury which burned inside himself. Rage which was directed at the Baratheons. First Stannis would be removed from his place as Lord of Dragonstone and Master of Ships and then Robert would be ripped off the Iron Throne. Letting out a breath he did not realize he was holding, Monford calmed himself a little. They would need gold first.

(Well this is the first chapter, I hope you enjoy. I'm having trouble getting any of the screenshots to upload right now, so the pictures will be added later. The following chapters will be longer, don't worry.)
Last edited by Etzel on Sun May 14, 2017 02:17, edited 3 times in total.
Working on Dothraki AAR
Working on Wildling AAR
Etzel

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sat May 13, 2017 23:39

Damn, I wanted to do something similar with the Velaryons after I finish my True Dragons! You beat me to it, however, which is both fortunate and unfortunate ;)

Just pointing out, after the main line Targaryens and Baratheons, House Velaryon would have the strongest legal claim to the throne. If Viserys had an unfortunate "accident" and you or your eventual heir married Dany, you could (reasonably) console yourself a claim on the Iron Throne and try to take it.
JDSweet

PostPosted by Etzel » Sun May 14, 2017 02:26

JDSweet wrote:Damn, I wanted to do something similar with the Velaryons after I finish my True Dragons! You beat me to it, however, which is both fortunate and unfortunate ;)

Just pointing out, after the main line Targaryens and Baratheons, House Velaryon would have the strongest legal claim to the throne. If Viserys had an unfortunate "accident" and you or your eventual heir married Dany, you could (reasonably) console yourself a claim on the Iron Throne and try to take it.

Why fortunate?

I hope you still choose to do it. Would love to compare our two experiences. One of my favorite things about this game, every playthrough is just a little bit different, sometimes drastically.

I thought about going that route, but Dany ended up becoming a moonsinger, so no chance of marrying her. Had to find a new path for my journey. I must say this one was much more enjoyable because of it. No riding on the Targaryen coat tails for me.
Working on Dothraki AAR
Working on Wildling AAR
Etzel

PostPosted by Etzel » Sun May 14, 2017 02:44

Chapter 2

Monford and his party of followers, a ragtag group of soldiers, merchants, his Maester, and even a Septon, were coming up to the last few minor hovels and fishing villages on the south side of the island of Driftmark. This group had started their work almost half a year ago. This work could have been completed faster, but Monford was meticulous in his work.

Three years have passed since taking his place as Lord of the Tides. Over these years the fury he had toward the Baratheons had not decreased over time. But with age comes wisdom or at the very least more caution. Two failed rebellions against Robert had helped Monford gain a little perspective. Both rebellions had been conducted by far stronger and more powerful Houses. Both were squashed with so little effort it was frightening.

When the time came for his push for the throne, he would need the backing of many of the Great Houses if he would be successful. Just as Robert had the support of the Starks, Tullys, and Arryns, he too would need help from a group of powerful Lords who would all wish to see a Valyrian return to the Iron Throne.

Waving and smiling to more of his subjects that recognized him, Monford found that he had rather enjoyed this journey through his lands. The small folk, the lowborn, all seemed to love him, especially the women. He knew he was attractive and powerful but it was staggering the number of women who had tried to get close to him on this journey. Each woman was turned away as his heart belonged to one woman. A woman who had given birth to a boy only just the other day. A son, Jacaerys. Oh what a wonderful day that was, but even the birth of his son would not keep him from his work and more importantly the destruction of the Baratheons.

Oddly enough it was Robert who seemed to be leading more to his own destruction than anything he was doing. When Tywin Lannister, the Great Lion of the Rock, had marched east to King's Landing during Robert's Rebellion, a group of hedge knights had chosen that time to set up a camp within the ruined castle of Tarbeck Hall. A foolish move on account of Tywin Lannister still being alive and all. For once he had returned to Casterly Rock and learned of the inhabitant within the ruined walls, he immediately set out to crush these hedge knights.

Robert ordered the Westerlander forces to step down. Those knights no doubt were not hurting anybody so there was no reason to rouse them from their shelter. Lord Tywin ignored the order and was brandished a traitor to the crown. Full scale war did not erupt between the Lannister and Baratheons at that moment. There would only be two deaths in this conflict of will, Cersei and Jaime Lannister.

These two death were deemed as accidents, but who died and how could not have been an accident. Yet the reason they died was. Some said that these two Lannisters were slain to teach Lord Tywin that Robert was in charge. While others reported that Cersei and Jaime had in fact been having an incestuous affair. When word had reached Robert Baratheon, he acted out in a drunken rage. So Jaime Lannister, Kingsguard to first Aerys II 'the Mad King' and Robert Baratheon, and Cersei Lannister, Queen to Robert Baratheon, were burned to death in a wild fire 'accident'.

If these deaths were truly an accident or not, it had the desired effect on Tywin Lannister. The Westerland army was disbanded, and Tywin return to his home to grieve.

The second rebellion was by Lord Gyles Rosby who sought to expand his lands into Duskendale. Once again the Lord refused to stand down his army upon Robert's request. This time, however, Robert road out to war. Brandishing his massive warhammer, Robert's men trapped the Rosby forces against the walls of Dun fort, which they had been besieging. Nobody made it out of this encirclement, including Lord Rosby himself.

Twice now Lords of Westeros had turned against the Baratheon's desires and were destroyed because of it. Monford slightly worried the same would happen to him. He needed to become stronger and wealthier if he was to succeed in his goal. This was one of the reasons he was out with his little band of courtiers. They were collecting a full census of all who lived on the island of Driftmark. He needed to know how many lived on his island before going to war.

The Iron Throne was his ultimate goal with the stepping stone of Dragonstone. Neither of these he was anywhere near strong enough to face. The Iron Throne was completely out of the question. Dragonstone on the other hand had the support of the Celtigars, the Onion Knight, and the Bar Emmon's of Sharp Point. Monford could only count on his friend's, Lord Guncer Sunglass, support. This would not be enough to take Dragonstone.

No, instead his eyes wandered south across the Gullet. No, first he would sail to Sharp Point. With control of the northern tip of Massey's Hook, Monford would have a stranglehold on nearly all trade to and from King's Landing. Wealth and Power.
Working on Dothraki AAR
Working on Wildling AAR
Etzel

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:27

Looks good! Nice to see another of your AARs!
Graduate Content Designer on Project Caligula

My amazingly empty Twitter account: @blackninja9939

Posts edited in this colour were done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by Viridianus » Wed May 17, 2017 21:08

So Tyrion is the heir of Tywin now anyway?
Viridianus

PostPosted by Etzel » Wed May 17, 2017 23:25

Yes, he was. Though before Tyrion turns twenty he dies without issue. The Lannisters go through something like fifteen different LPs during Monford's life alone.
Working on Dothraki AAR
Working on Wildling AAR
Etzel

PostPosted by Sigerson » Thu May 18, 2017 00:27

Screenshots please :cry:
"The reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."
Jojen Reed
Sigerson

PostPosted by Etzel » Thu May 18, 2017 00:42

Started working on a new AAR, not started writing it, but getting things ready for it. Myself and a few other writers are taking part in a Dynastic AAR covering the Targaryens from Aegon's Conquest.

While I was moving things around, I deleted the screenshots I fear. Sorry.

Only a few more updates for this story. Probably be ten or twelve chapters in length in total.
Working on Dothraki AAR
Working on Wildling AAR
Etzel

PostPosted by Etzel » Sun May 28, 2017 11:49

Chapter 3

Today was an amazing day. For today he was in a position to strike down one of his enemies without gaining the wrath of any other Lord or Robert himself. Any person could be killed in the joust. Today it would be Stannis Baratheon. After today there would only be one man left to see cut down. And as luck would have it, it was Stannis he would face first during this Tourney of Claw Isle.

This idea had come to him at the Tourney of Chyttering Brook. It was a tiny tourney, more of just a melee in honesty, but the Kingsguard Mandon Moore had attended which boosted the prestige of the event. Monford was one of the first men beaten out of submission, but he would learn later that the same man who forced him to yield had bested Ser Mandon Moore. Bested is not the right word, he pulverized the man. Beaten so soundly that he would not protect the false King another day. Monford had hoped to bring this man into his own employment, but he failed to find him. Some said the knight had returned across the Narrow Sea to Essos.

Chyttering Brook's melee occurred not long after Monford's victory at Sharp Point, the northern tip of Massey's Hook. Leaving from battle to a Tourney is why Monford believed he had fared so poorly in that melee. Glory and prestige had not come to him on that day, but with the capture of Sharp Point greater wealth was within his grasp. In command of such a highly trafficked sea route brought such a vast increase in wealth that Monford believed he may be able to buy the crown from Robert, though it wouldn't come with the man's head sadly.

Shortly after the birth of his daughter, Jaenara, Monford along with all other Lords, Ladies, and Knights of the land were invited to King's Landing for a vast celebration. There would be feasts, games, and a great tourney. A massive expense which was pain in part by Stannis Baratheon, Master of Coin, who simply took the wealth gained by Monford. Monford was also informed any taxes he took from ships passing through the Gullet would be turned over immediately to the crown as Blackwater Bay and all waters from Dragonstone to King's Landing belonged to the Baratheons, his Lords.

Oh how he hated all Baratheons. Worst of all this festivity were in celebration of the true end of the Targaryens. Viserys Targaryen had sailed to the Reach by request of Lord Wilas Tyrell. The man was convinced the lands were ripe for Targaryen rule again, sadly as the fool left his ship without army or any true allies, he was immediately arrested, castrated, and sent north to the Wall. In route, he had "fallen ill". Not long after assassins finally caught up to Daenerys Stormborn. At last ending the Targaryen line. Such a shame, such a fool.

Monford was required to attend, but he mostly kept to himself or spent time with his friend, Guncer Sunglass. Neither man enjoyed celebrating the end of a family so strongly connected to their own. Their houses and the Celtigars had served House Targaryen longer than any other. It was the Velaryans who had the strongest connection to the Targaryens and why Monford believed it was his duty to avenge this loss.

Once the Tourney had ended, both Guncer and Monford took their own respective ships back to their islands. A great storm would swell up in Blackwater Bay that night sending Monford's ship far to the south before it ubsided. Lord Guncer was less fortuitous. His ship struck rocks sending it and many of its passengers into the Bay. This loss was hard felt and only two cycles of the moon before the Tourney of Claw Isle. Here the Lord Celtigar celebrated the rise of the new Hand of the King, Stannis Baratheon.

Bearing down on Stannis, Monford could not help from keeping a smile on his face. This was the moment that the Velaryons righted the wrongs committed by this family. To avenge those who had fallen and suffered such horrible losses because one fool could not keep his betrothed in line. Now was the time, but it would not be so. Struck soundly just below the neck, Monford was unhorsed leaving him nearly in tears from his failure, the pain of the strike, and his lost opportunity.

Returning to his ship without enjoying any of the feast, Monford was surprised to see somebody he did not recognize on the ship. Quickly his bastard brother Aurane introduced him before Monford had him thrown over the side, such was his temper at this moment.
Working on Dothraki AAR
Working on Wildling AAR
Etzel

Return to After Action Reports (AAR)