House Velaryon Pre-Dance Prestige

For any general subject related to the mod

House Velaryon Pre-Dance Prestige

PostPosted by ManicMayo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 16:45

Before the Dance of the Dragons, the kings of the Iron Throne would often have a Velaryon consort. The Velaryons of Driftmark possessed one of the largest navies in the kingdoms and, more importantly, provided the Targaryens with highborn ladies of Valyrian descent (that weren't their sisters) to ensure their Valyrian features, necessary for taming dragons, remained strong.

At present House Velaryon, being mere counts in the mod, don't have a chance in all seven hells of securing such a high profile marriage without either the careful application of console commands or spending several generations hording up enough cash to purchase a favour that has a high chance of not be accepted.

Would it be impossible to grant the Velaryons some sort of hidden modifier that negates the prestige penalty and encourages AI Targaryen kings to consider wedding their heirs to Velaryon maidens? One that could be removed after the Dance to simulate their fall from grace with the death of the last dragons and the decimation of their wealth and naval power?
ManicMayo

Re: House Velaryon Pre-Dance Prestige

PostPosted by Enriador » Wed Jun 07, 2017 21:27

Great suggestions. An event for bachelor Targaryens where they can marry a Velaryon would be cool too.
Last edited by Enriador on Sun Jun 11, 2017 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Enriador

PostPosted by Gwayne » Sat Jun 10, 2017 23:33

Better yet, why not raise them to Duke level and only make them Counts after Robert's Rebellion? I don't see why the Velaryons should be sworn to Dragonstone prior to that. Even if it is lore accurate, mechanically it doesn't work and it's shitty to play the Velaryons in game because they're counts, cannot join realm-wide factions and neither can they serve in the Small Council. Currently the gameplay is akin to playing a Hightower vassal... not very amusing.
Gwayne

PostPosted by zebraguy24 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 17:08

I wonder if there was a way to have all the dukes be vassals to the crown but have them be tributaries to the lord paramount and have those tributaries still be able to be on their lord paramount council. Because I think it sucks that I cant have a Hightower be my steward when it fits with the lore.
zebraguy24

PostPosted by ManicMayo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 15:32

Enriador wrote:Great suggestions. An event for bachelor Targaryens where they can marry a Velaryon would be cool too.

I agree. Especially since, in my games at least, Targaryen princes without any siblings/cousins to marry will usually remain bachelors well into their 30s.

Gwayne wrote:Better yet, why not raise them to Duke level and only make them Counts after Robert's Rebellion? I don't see why the Velaryons should be sworn to Dragonstone prior to that. Even if it is lore accurate, mechanically it doesn't work and it's shitty to play the Velaryons in game because they're counts, cannot join realm-wide factions and neither can they serve in the Small Council. Currently the gameplay is akin to playing a Hightower vassal... not very amusing.

While that would indeed be a better solution, the devs have already dashed any hopes of making Driftmark a duke-tier title (and Dragonstone king-tier) here. The best we can hope for now is a prestige modifier that mimics a duke-tier title.
ManicMayo

PostPosted by Soulbourne » Tue Jun 13, 2017 17:56

Is there any way to tweak house prestige so that the house of velaryon is high prestige due to their ancestry and thus helping negotiate their count rank? Since I believe that if the dynasty has sufficient prestige it can actually help negate somewhat humble standing.

But an event for high valyrian valyrons to marry into the targaryens would be nice-though I feel that without an ethnicity restriction it could very quickly lead to the valyrons marrying tons of non-HV family members to the targaryen line by forced event, constricting the player more and breaking immersion with AI. Although, not sure how the velaryons are meant to keep their HV features as it stands anyways since dont think they can safely do incest.
Soulbourne

PostPosted by ManicMayo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 19:51

Very good point. The Targs only really married Velaryons for their Valyrian features after all. But I'd imagine it would be relatively easy to make sure any potential marriage event only fires for Velaryons with a specific graphical culture (in this instance high_valyrian).

As for tweaking dynasty prestige, other than giving past (non-playable) members of House Velaryon titular empire-tier titles to bump it up for the start of the game, I don't think you can edit it.
ManicMayo

PostPosted by knuckey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:42

Part of the targatyen divine blood marriage maintenance already makes marriages to velaryons and other minor valyrians more likely, but I will have another look and see if it can be tweaked a bit!
knuckey
Site Admin

PostPosted by Andre Massena » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14

Would also be nice for the Velaryons to be pretty concerned about blood purity because they inevitably seem to lose their Valyrian features after a few generations even though they usually keep the culture .
Andre Massena

Return to General Discussion