R+L=J (Spoiloers of course for those who don't know.)

For any general subject related to the mod

R+L=J (Spoiloers of course for those who don't know.)

PostPosted by lunasmeow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:36

Okay, so I know what this means... but what does it effectively do? I have yet to ever see Jon's "true" (quotes since unconfirmed) parentage come out. Playing as Jon I don't see an option to investigate your parentage, I don't see any option when interacting with Ned to ask about your mother. Playing as Ned I see no choice to tell Jon his parentage. Nothing. How the hell can I ever get Jon to claim the Iron Throne for his lineage instead of as a normal war if he can't find out who he is!? What is even the point of having the R+L=J option if it does nothing? Or am I somehow missing what it does? I am seriously confused and frustrated with the thing because it is seemingly useless.

Also strangely, when choosing R+L=J and playing as Rhaegar, when I win the war and come to the Tower of Joy, not only is the child not always male, even the times that it is male, it isn't Jon? It seems the game uses the normal random chance for graphical culture, sex, etc on the baby. Shouldn't this child always be scripted to be Jon? Northman graphical culture, male, correct portrait and such? Culture and Religion I could see being random since he isn't being raised by Ned at this point but...
lunasmeow

Re: R+L=J (Spoiloers of course for those who don't know.)

PostPosted by suvantar » Thu Jul 13, 2017 13:13

Basically, after Jon's learned of his heritage, he gets the option to accept it, decline it, or make a decision later. If he accepts it, he gets claims on the Iron Throne and Kings Landing. I presume if he wins, he becomes part of the Targaryen Dyasty, but during the playthrough where it actually came into play for me, I had made the decision to stay Lord Commander, so I never got to really proceed with it.

Oh, and as far as Jon finding out as an adult is concerned, as I understand it, you need to figure out some way to manipulate events to place Jon at the same place at the same time as Howland Reed and that will trigger the event where Reed tells Jon about the Tower of Joy. In the above game, Reed joined my War for Dawn and the two happened to fight a battle together that triggered it. If you make the other choice and have Jon leave the wall with Stannis, it will probably be trickier, although I don't know what will happen if you just take Jon's event troops down to the Neck and park them at Reed's home. That may trigger it.

I also had a playthrough where I was playing my Reyne custom character at the Robert's Rebellion bookmark where 'Jon Sand' grew up to be Jon Targaryan and sat on the Iron Throne because Robert's former ally Ned Stark went to war to press Jon's claim when Robert turned out to be a lousy king. Jon Sand, of course, was Jon Snow and had all the same DNA and a lot of the same traits.
Last edited by suvantar on Thu Jul 13, 2017 14:35, edited 2 times in total.
suvantar

PostPosted by Helvetti » Thu Jul 13, 2017 13:55

If you accept your heritage, you can choose to keep the Stark name, or become Targaryen or Stark-Targaryen.
Helvetti

PostPosted by lunasmeow » Fri Jul 14, 2017 00:09

So basically, the trigger for this whole thing is Howland Reed, cool. But what about different children being born from Rhaegar and Lyanna during that period if playing that scenario? Is that intended, an oversight, a glitch, or unchangeable?

Edit: Went on a journey of the Seven Kingdoms, managed to luck out and make friends with Howland Reed during a feast in Winterfell, and nothing. Even when I console change to Howland Reed, there's no decision to tell my friend about his heritage. Is this purely event driven, or am I running into some kind of glitch?
lunasmeow

PostPosted by knuckey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21

Any child generated by the tower of joy events is always male, so if you're seeing them having a female child it is likely a love child they had via normal game mechanics after the events.

For the howland reed event to trigger you need to be at his location, the quickest way to do this would be to lead an army to his location.
knuckey
Site Admin

PostPosted by gruntwork » Mon Jul 17, 2017 16:21

So I'm still a bit confused. I'm playing 1.5 and I can beat the white walkers, if I get really lucky, and live long enough to find out about this but when I choose to accept my heritage very little happens. I get a strong claim on the 7 kingdoms but I get no event troops or anything. I'm just sitting at the wall with the nights watch armies at my command and nothing seems to change. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Also is there any way to trigger the event and not be an oathbreaker? I don't ever see an event for him to die and be resurrected, thereby fulfilling his until death vow.
gruntwork

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 18:45

You need to declare your war for the throne and take the hit as the oathbreaker you are.

There is no event for him.
Graduate Content Designer on Project Caligula

My amazingly empty Twitter account: @blackninja9939

Posts edited in this colour were done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

Return to General Discussion