[Need Help] The North Awakens Mod [in creation stage]

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

[Need Help] The North Awakens Mod [in creation stage]

PostPosted by Burners » Sat Jul 29, 2017 22:55

I have always thought that the north has great potential to becoming the most powerful kingdom in westerns if not the whole map. This mod looks at what would happen if the Starks and their banner men used some more common sense.
Current Ideas
Spoiler: show
Giant's settlement
Description: The Northern Lords have made a deal with the Giants beyond the wall. In exchange for letting them live south of the wall they will bend the knee. Giants are powerful beings of immense physical strength that are both good in peace, to help with tasks such as construction, and in war, as powerful fighters.
Affect:
Gain giants (special Unit)
reduced build cost
reduced build time
tax income
Cost medium/high
Potenial improvments:
have an event occurs first the requires the king of the north to first go beyond the wall and treat with the giants

Mammoth herds
Description: On their journey South the Giants also brought with them their herds of Mammoths. Like the Giants they will be extremely useful both in wars and in peace
Requires Giant settlement
Affects
reduced build cost
reduced build time
tax income
Gain mounted giants
cost medium/high

Ironwood farms (idea for this one came from another mod I believe it was Flamequeen's Ulimate building submod)
Description: Ironwood is the hardest wood in the known world and therefore highly sought after for making weapons and ships from. By growing these tress we can use them to increase the strength of our weapons and our shields for our levy and also sell some for a profit
Affects
Base income
greater attack and defence for all troops
Cost low/medium

Green House
Description: With the discovery of glass came the invention of green houses. They are Buildings in which crops can be grown no matter the temperature outside. This in turn means that the population of the north could grow and develop more
Affects
Base income reduced
potential
see if it can make winter have lesser affect (maybe only in higher levels)
cost low/medium

Northern Population
Affects
base income increased
levy size increased
cost medium
time long 10 years
requires
green house
description
with the increase in the amount of food available the vast barren lands in the north can finally begin to fill out and the population can finally increase to levels closer to that of the other 7 kingdoms

wood trader
description: selling wood to the Free cities makes a great deal of profit, due to the high demand.
Affect base income
Cost low/medium/high

Moat Cailin:
Rebuild towers
Description: The moat has fallen into disrepair and the once great fortress that protected the north from all threats to the souths has weakened. It is time to repair the fortress and reassure that the north is safe from any southern aggression.
Affects:
increases the fort level
Increases garrison
decreases supply for enemies (if possible)
cost medium/high

Creation of a channel
Description: The Moat is close to the narrowest point between the narrow sea and the summers sea. By building a channel there for ships to base through trade from all over essie would gain easier and safer access to the summers sea and therefore brings huge quantities of trade to the north.
requirements Giant's settlement and Mammoths herds
Affects
high increase in base tax
tax percentage increase for all northern lords
tax percentage increase for lord of the north
Tax percentage increase for holder of Moat Calin
ships
Cost very high (it would be in the thousands and only really feasible with giants and mammoths buildings built to the maximum level

I am looking for more ideas of things that could be developed realistically in the north. I believe there is one northern house that has some mining in the north in lore. The north is the size of the other kingdoms combined (if I remember correctly) and therefore there should be far more resources around, one of them would be different ores. Any ideas for building to add that either are north specific or would be good for everyone are really appreciated.

The north really needs a fleet and has the potential to have one. The north used to have a fleet until it was destroyed by one f the Starks
I am hoping to write up this mod within a couple of weeks and would appreciate any advise that any of you have.
Also quick question:
how do I make it so that these buildings can only be built in the north

I have an idea of how to write the code for the buildings but how do you create events and then link them to buildings? Is that even possible.

How do you create a new special unit. Need to figure out how to make it possible for giants to become actual units
Last edited by Burners on Mon Jul 31, 2017 18:21, edited 3 times in total.
Burners

Re: Northern Potential Unleashed Mod [in creation stage]

PostPosted by Burners » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:23

I have been working on the code for it and would like someone to have a quick look at the start I have made to make sure it all makes sense
I will put it in a spoiler below
Spoiler: show
castle = {
ca_Giant’s_Settlement_1 = {
desc = ca_Giant’s_Settlement_1_desc
potential = {
OR = {
region=world_north
}
}
trigger = { always = yes }
build_cost = 200
build_time = 365
tax_income = 1
local_build_time_modifier = -0.025
local_build_cost_modifier = -0.1

}

Giant’s_Settlement_2 = {
desc = Giant’s_Settlement_2_desc
prerequisites = { Giant’s_Settlement_1 }
upgrades_from = Giant’s_Settlement_1
build_cost =250
build_time = 360
tax_income = 2

}

Giant’s_Settlement_3 = {
desc = Giant’s_Settlement_3_desc
prerequisites = { Giant’s_Settlement_2 }
upgrades_from = Giant’s_Settlement_2
build_cost = 300
build_time = 360
tax_income = 3

}

Giant’s_Settlement_4 = {
desc = Giant’s_Settlement_4_desc
prerequisites = { Giant’s_Settlement_3 }
upgrades_from = Giant’s_Settlement_3
build_cost = 350
build_time = 360
tax_income = 4

}

Giant’s_Settlement_5 = {
desc = Giant’s_Settlement_5_desc
prerequisites = { Giant’s_Settlement_4 }
upgrades_from = Giant’s_Settlement_4
build_cost = 400
build_time = 360
tax_income = 5

}

ca_Mammoths_Herd_1 = {
desc = Mammoths_Herd_1_desc
potential = {
OR = {
region=world_north
}
}
prerequisites = { Giant’s_Settlement_1 }
build_cost = 200
build_time = 360
tax_income = 2.5
local_build_cost_modifier = -0.025

}

Mammoths_Herd_2 = {
desc = Mammoths_Herd_2_desc
prerequisites = { Mammoths_Herd_1 }
upgrades_from = Mammoths_Herd_1
build_cost = 300
build_time = 360
tax_income = 4

}

Mammoths_Herd_3 = {
desc = Mammoths_Herd_3_desc
prerequisites = { Mammoths_Herd_2 }
upgrades_from = Mammoths_Herd_2
build_cost =400
build_time = 360
tax_income = 5.5

}

Mammoths_Herd_4 = {
desc = Mammoths_Herd_4_desc
prerequisites = { Mammoths_Herd_3 }
upgrades_from = Mammoths_Herd_3
build_cost = 500
build_time = 360
tax_income = 7

}

Mammoths_Herd_5 = {
desc = Mammoths_Herd_5_desc
prerequisites = { Mammoths_Herd_4 }
upgrades_from = Mammoths_Herd_4
build_cost = 600
build_time = 360
tax_income = 9

}

ca_Ironwood_Grove_1 = {
desc = ca_Ironwood_Grove_1_desc
potential = {
OR = {
region=world_north
}
}
build_cost=200
build_time = 365
heavy_infantry_defensive = 0.05
light_infantry_defensive = 0.05
archers_offensive = 0.05
knights_defensive = 0.05
light_cavalry_defensive = 0.05
pikemen_defensive = 0.05
}

Any help would really be appreciated I have only got the modding guide and looking at other people's submits to see what it is meant to look like. I would therefore be very grateful for any help that you could give
Burners

Re: [Need Help] Northern Potential Unleashed Mod [in creation stage]

PostPosted by karmaepsilon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 21:43

I think I've read this fanfic
Haha jokes aside interesting concept
karmaepsilon

PostPosted by fastrike » Mon Jul 31, 2017 00:22

This looks like a cool idea, Look forward to seeing what you do with it. Regarding the channel though I thought you couldn't change map stuff like that once the game started.
fastrike

PostPosted by Burners » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:10

sadly you can't so it will just be a building that does not change the map. Might make it so that there is a fleet of ships on both sides but thats the best that I think i could do sadly. The channel will exist only in the benefit it brings. Still working out a fair price. Will most likely start at a cost of about 10,000 due to the affect that it will have and the fact that when fully maxed out in its current form the Giant's Settlement and the Mammoth herd will reduce the price by 75%
Burners

Re: [Need Help] The North Awakens Mod [in creation stage]

PostPosted by Burners » Mon Jul 31, 2017 18:23

I have run into so difficulty with the mod. I am able to get the mod to show up but when I load it it does not seam to affect anything. Would someone with some experience in this please take a look.
Burners

PostPosted by ngppgn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 21:19

Hope if you don't mind some negative input but I feel like most of those ideas seem, let's say' quite lore-unfriendly. Giants and mammoths south of the wall, bending the knee? If anything, that should be for wildings, or only happening in the event of something akin of the books events where free folks and northmen learn to live ith each others when and after the white walker invasion strikes.

Regarding the population growth, the north might be the largest of the seven realms but that doesn't imply it is on par woth the others regarding the productivity of the land. And I doubt greenhouses can sustain population in a pre-industrial setting.

As for the canal, in addition to it being impossible in the game mechanics, it'd be again like building the Panama Canal in the 13th century...
ngppgn

PostPosted by Burners » Mon Jul 31, 2017 22:15

potentially it is not lore friendly.

The idea with the giants is that yes they are unlikely to bend then knee ever and if i could make an event where you have to take your army north of the wall and then you have a small chance of starting to get giants south then that would be ideal. I think that while unlikely any creature would look for a path of least resistance for its survival.

About the channel would it be unlikely yes but this is the land where they built a wall 700 meters high and far longer over 8000 years ago. Plus with the magic thrown in anything is possible.

I am not saying that it is on par with the total of all of them but if you have the landmass of all of the combined there must be some useful resources around. if not the free cities are always struggling for wood and the north has plenty of that.

I think that it is possible for these events to happen and when you are playing ckii at any start you can and do change history. odds are that a human can defeat Robert during his rebellion because the armies of the reach would not have sat outside of Storm's End. End of the day any input is welcome. I doubt this submit is going to be 100% Lore friendly but i hope some people can get some enjoyment out of it.

Hell the mod might not even come to being if i can't get it it work.
Burners

PostPosted by jjdynomite40 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 22:03

I so far like all the ideas you are putting forward! i have some ideas i think would be wonderful to add to this!

Add the option to grow your weirwood into a huge Godswood forest. in the vanilla mod some godswoods are bigger then others i think you should be able to grow yours and make it larger adding piety and maybe add some other buffs as well.

Like R'hllor i tihnk you should be able to be favored by the gods but with the old gods. maybe make some decisions and events allowing you to become favored by the old gods or maybe be favored by the children of the forest? and make a special sword weather its valyrian steel or dragon glass is up to you but a special sword with a hilt made of weirwood called something like "sword of the first men" would be pretty cool aswell.

that being said i think you should be able to journy beyond the wall and visit the three eyed raven and perhaps becoming the next three eyed raven?

House whitehill are the lords and ladys of Highpoint. a large castle north of winterfell which is in ruins. if playing as house whitehill you should be able to rebuild Highpoint just like you could with Harrenhal.

as house Forrester you would have an eternal blood fued with house whitehill due to the fact that they dont share their ironwood. Maybe make a descision to share Ironwood with House whitehill ending the blood fued?

One of the things that makes the Starks and Winterfell stick out are the crypts of winterfell. every stark since Brandon the Builder have been buried down there and i think when a stark dies there should be a special event for them involving the Crypt.

I think when the North becomes independant there should be decisions and events to build winterfell outwards making it into a bustling city just like Kings landing.

These ideas i came up off the top of my head and im sure i will think of more in the near future some feedback negative or positive are appreciated and id love if some of these made it into the mod! i wish you good fortune in the making of this mod! :D
jjdynomite40

PostPosted by SpoilerWarning » Tue Aug 08, 2017 18:21

Hi,

love this idea, here are some more ideas

Warrior of Light
it would be great if you would consider so add a northern version of knighthood to this mod.
when i play the north im envious for all this southern knights.
this eventchain could be related to the war of dawn. the first could be chosen by you in the war of dawn.
name could be "warrior of light" or something like that. im not very happy with this name but its an idea.

The Lord Conciliator
you could also add something like a campaign based on events and decisions to befriend the wildlings with the northmen. this would remove the heavy opinion malus between wildlings and northmen (but maybe not other westerosi) if you make good and right decisions (maybe also based on your traits) the feud between northmen and wildlings would be removed completely. with some right and some wrong decisions it is maybe just a malus of 20-30 and if you fail completely and your diplomacy is bad and wildling and northmen will start a civil war.
wildlings could may marry into some houses (want to see lord Tormund <3<3<3<3<3<3<3)

hope my English isnt to terrible and you like this ideas.
SpoilerWarning

PostPosted by jjdynomite40 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 00:25

SpoilerWarning wrote:Hi,

love this idea, here are some more ideas

Warrior of Light
it would be great if you would consider so add a northern version of knighthood to this mod.
when i play the north im envious for all this southern knights.
this eventchain could be related to the war of dawn. the first could be chosen by you in the war of dawn.
name could be "warrior of light" or something like that. im not very happy with this name but its an idea.

The Lord Conciliator
you could also add something like a campaign based on events and decisions to befriend the wildlings with the northmen. this would remove the heavy opinion malus between wildlings and northmen (but maybe not other westerosi) if you make good and right decisions (maybe also based on your traits) the feud between northmen and wildlings would be removed completely. with some right and some wrong decisions it is maybe just a malus of 20-30 and if you fail completely and your diplomacy is bad and wildling and northmen will start a civil war.
wildlings could may marry into some houses (want to see lord Tormund <3<3<3<3<3<3<3)

hope my English isnt to terrible and you like this ideas.

i like the second idea. but the first one isnt lore friendly seeing as how knighthood isnt a thing for the north. the first men never believed in such things and it passed down to the current north
jjdynomite40

PostPosted by TheAveon12 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 09:43

Perhaps make the three eyed raven a title as almost like a Pope in vanilla after Brandon comes back after or during the war for the dawn and add some more magic for people to mess around with like the red god magic with resurrections and looking into the future.
TheAveon12

PostPosted by Hanegod98 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:13

When you asked why the mod isn't working, there where some mistakes. I repaired them and update it, so now the buildings won't be spawned from start. And there it is:
Hanegod98

PostPosted by Burners » Mon Aug 28, 2017 16:02

thanks a lot for the help

after not getting a reply for a week I stopped checking and have only now looked again. I will have a look at it and hopefully upload the mod in working order.
Burners

PostPosted by hartnettsm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 02:39

Honestly, all of this sounds pretty cool. Lore-wise the North wasn't too keen on allowing anything north of the Wall south... so unless you were making these giant settlement things in the New Gift (pre-it being gifted) for earliest play throughs/age of blood play throughs OR were putting it on any of the Skagos island counties where there's a beyond the wall old gods religion prevalent... it'd be a hard sell to connect it lore-wise. I'd still play it because it sounds awesome as hell though haha.

Request... if you're going to do a Northern mod the only thing I'd really LOVE LOVE LOVE to see added is a Northern Knight trait. My basis for this is that Bran is dejectedly talking about the inability to become a knight with his crippled legs... and he's an Old God's follower. Instead of being annointed by seven oils etc etc bs a Northern Knight trait could be specific to Northern values, ie Old Gods, martial prowess, strength, giant/tall stature, etc. The event text could be something like, "The North is a harsh and hard land and needs hard men willing to serve it. Having proven yourself a loyal son of the North and it's ways, you have been granted the title of a Northern Knight. You have sworn your oath to protect the North against the darkness of Winter and against all those who would seek to destroy these lands or see them bend the knee to any besides the King of the North. You have sworn to serve your liege and the Starks until the end of your days, for as they say Winter Is Coming."

Idk, I love the North but it sucks that they don't have their own thing like that. I feel the Knight events/training gives a special medieval flavor to the game.
Anywho, the Moat Cailin idea is brilliant and totally worthwhile. I'd just recommend that you add a fortified bonus to it to counter the effect of ironborn being able to move through and raid the eastern shores of the north far easier, or perhaps putting a toll feature on it like the freys have with the twins, but if you can't pay the toll (if you're not the owner) then no passage through.
hartnettsm

PostPosted by hartnettsm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 03:21

jjdynomite40 wrote:I so far like all the ideas you are putting forward! i have some ideas i think would be wonderful to add to this!

Add the option to grow your weirwood into a huge Godswood forest. in the vanilla mod some godswoods are bigger then others i think you should be able to grow yours and make it larger adding piety and maybe add some other buffs as well.

Like R'hllor i tihnk you should be able to be favored by the gods but with the old gods. maybe make some decisions and events allowing you to become favored by the old gods or maybe be favored by the children of the forest? and make a special sword weather its valyrian steel or dragon glass is up to you but a special sword with a hilt made of weirwood called something like "sword of the first men" would be pretty cool aswell.

that being said i think you should be able to journy beyond the wall and visit the three eyed raven and perhaps becoming the next three eyed raven?

House whitehill are the lords and ladys of Highpoint. a large castle north of winterfell which is in ruins. if playing as house whitehill you should be able to rebuild Highpoint just like you could with Harrenhal.

as house Forrester you would have an eternal blood fued with house whitehill due to the fact that they dont share their ironwood. Maybe make a descision to share Ironwood with House whitehill ending the blood fued?

One of the things that makes the Starks and Winterfell stick out are the crypts of winterfell. every stark since Brandon the Builder have been buried down there and i think when a stark dies there should be a special event for them involving the Crypt.

I think when the North becomes independant there should be decisions and events to build winterfell outwards making it into a bustling city just like Kings landing.

These ideas i came up off the top of my head and im sure i will think of more in the near future some feedback negative or positive are appreciated and id love if some of these made it into the mod! i wish you good fortune in the making of this mod! :D

Also on point with him but a little further... I think most of these decisions should be available only to the Starks (or the ruler of the north) in terms of decisions that effect all the north... like the giants/mammoth thing. I do feel your compromise of having it be something that requires an interesting event tree to trigger it is pretty important as well. Not to mention that the giant/mammoth thing should be only available if the North is independent.
I would love to see the crypt option expanded. Kind of like a sinstar shieldhall version of the crypt. Visiting beyond the wall to meet the three-eyed raven, if you go that route, should probably only be an option if your character has the skinchanger/green dreams/mystic combo (like Bran). Also I love the idea of expanding Winterfell in a manner like Kings Landing, and if you hold both Winterfell and Moat Cailin being able to build a fleet/flagship would be nice, essentially making Moat Cailin like the secondary capital/secondary holding of the King of the North (like dragonstone was for the Targaryens).

As for the comments about greenhouses... in the books Catelyn Stark mentions the underground spring that essentially keeps winterfell warmer and helps to keep their greenhouse going (unless I'm making that up in my head with my fever addled brain at the moment). Depending on the size and quantity of greenhouses and if they're also supported by a spring system like winterfell or just a well used for a sufficient water source, it could be a legitimate way of creating extra crops for storage or income.

and on the issue of storage, if you're looking at a legitimate way to lessen the effects of prolonged or harsh winters... adding a 3 or 4 tiered level storehouse that specifically stores preserved food/medicine/etc would make sense. And there's already a flavor mechanic that will ask you before winters if you want to set aside a portion of the harvest for winter. Building them should be half of it, then events to fill them or purchase things to fill them (like under the events/intrigue tab) for items or what have you.

I'm not a coder or scripter so I have no idea how possible, difficult, or lengthy any of that would be so I apologize if I'm making suggestions that are insane.
hartnettsm

Return to Sub-Mods