Dragons, Bright and Dark (A House Targaryen AAR)

Post your mod AARs and stories here

Dragons, Bright and Dark (A House Targaryen AAR)

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sun Aug 06, 2017 14:27

Last edited by JDSweet on Wed Aug 30, 2017 16:49, edited 8 times in total.
JDSweet

Re: Dragons, Bright and Dark (A House Targaryen AAR)

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sun Aug 06, 2017 14:29

Prelude:

And so his grace, Maekar of the House Targaryen, First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm passed into the arms of the Seven on the last day of 232 AC.

His will stated that his eldest living son, Aerion the Monstrous should succeed him, but that prince had predeceased his father by a year, leaving only an infant son by his cousin, Princess Daenora Targaryen.

Not wanting the son of a madman and former rival to succeed to the throne, Bloodraven stormed the capital and assumed the Handship by force, resolving to call a Great Council. However, Lord Jasper Arryn, a cousin of Prince Maegor through his mother's line, gathered a group of loyal men and stormed the capital mid-proceedings, sending Bloodraven to the Wall for treason, crowning the infant Maegor as king, and assuming the regency for himself.

Prince Aegon, infuriated, as he would have been the de facto heir as the eldest living son of the deceased king, started gathering a faction around himself to press his claim to the throne.

Ravens began to fly for what was preparing to become the worst civil war since the Dance of the Dragons. Lord Baratheon, Tyrell, Martell, and Tully promised to support Aegon, should he press his claim, and Lords Arryn and Stark mobilized and sent men to the Crownlands to support King Maegor II. Both sides were ready to come to blows, but disaster was averted thanks to the skilled diplomacy of the Hand.

An agreement was reached in which Lord Jasper Arryn would serve as Regent during Maegor's minority, and Prince Aegon would be appointed the Handship. It was agreed that when Maegor turned six he would be sent to squire for Lord Paramount Lyonel Baratheon. To seal the pact, Prince Maegor was betrothed to Aegon's daughter Rhaelle, his mother Daenora was betrothed to the heir of the Stormlands, Lord Ormund Baratheon, Princess Daella would be wed to Prince Alberyn of Dorne, and Princess Rhae would be wed to Lord Gunthor Tyrell.

Prince Aemon Targaryen, who had returned to King's Landing from Dragonstone following the death of Prince Daeron the Drunken, would serve as Grand Maester and would oversee that the pact was upheld. And so disaster was averted, and a new king crowned. But many worried that King Maegor would be as bad or worse than his father and namesake. And with the Blackfyre threat still looming across the Narrow Sea, a mad king could result in the overthrow of the Targaryen dynasty in favor of their illegitimate cousins. The family had never before been on so thin ice as it was after the succession crisis of 233 AC, and a strong king would be required to keep the realm stable.

Notes:

I am using the More Decisions, Torture and Rape, and DLC Portraits submod (though DLC portraits seems to be bugging out in my latest games).

House rules:

I must roleplay my characters to the best of my ability. So martial kings lead armies, cruel kings do cruel shit, and great kings die in outrageous accidents before they assume the throne (just kidding, I miss Baelor Breakspear). The game ends whenever the (male) Line of the Lost Dragon ends. So if the Great Plague breaks out and kills me on year 1 before I produce heirs, I will not continue the AAR as my uncle Aegon.

Console: I'll be using it to ensure I make it past year 1, but after Maegor has his first son whatever happens happens. I'll also use it to create succession crisises and such to keep the game interesting.

Dragons: They are OP as fuck, so I will be very, very hesitant to hatch eggs.

Inbreeding: Mandatory, though a few alliances to remain in power might be necessary. All my characters should either have the "Abomination of Incest" or "grandchild of incest." Modifier to keep things interesting.

Updates: I'll shoot for one a week, though I can't guarantee that frequency. It's my senior year in highschool and with marching band season beginning I will be pretty booked.
Last edited by JDSweet on Tue Aug 29, 2017 18:43, edited 3 times in total.
JDSweet

Re: Line of the Lost Dragon (A House Targaryen AAR)

PostPosted by AWildWightAppeared! » Mon Aug 07, 2017 03:42

Hey, this looks real interesting! I'll be sure to keep an eye out!

I once did a Maegor II playthrough and rolled to see what traits I got. I got a 95 and gave Maegor strong and attractive. In my head he was the Young Dragon reborn. And then he got brave, formidable fighter, brilliant strategist and the nickname as well and I was so proud... Then I was assasinated at 18.
AWildWightAppeared!

Re: Line of the Lost Dragon (A House Targaryen AAR)

PostPosted by JDSweet » Mon Aug 07, 2017 05:32

AWildWightAppeared! wrote:Hey, this looks real interesting! I'll be sure to keep an eye out!

I once did a Maegor II playthrough and rolled to see what traits I got. I got a 95 and gave Maegor strong and attractive. In my head he was the Young Dragon reborn. And then he got brave, formidable fighter, brilliant strategist and the nickname as well and I was so proud... Then I was assasinated at 18.

Thank you good sir! As a side note I did give Maegor attractive since Aerion was said to be fair to look at in his younger years. As a side note, if you don't mind me asking, did you read my True Dragons AAR?
Last edited by JDSweet on Tue Aug 29, 2017 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
JDSweet

Re: Fire, Bright and Dark (A House Targaryen AAR)

PostPosted by AWildWightAppeared! » Mon Aug 07, 2017 07:59

Yes I did! Quite the enjoyable read. And Jon Targaryen's stats.
AWildWightAppeared!

PostPosted by JDSweet » Tue Aug 29, 2017 18:38

So, sorry for the long delay between updates. Do you guys want me to post a "State of the World" post, or do you want me to just jump in with the first chapter?
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Wed Aug 30, 2017 15:25

State of the Realm 238 AC

The Iron Throne

The current king is Maegor II Targaryen. He is a brooding, conscientious, and willful boy of six. His uncle, Prince Aegon serves as his Hand, while his cousin Lord Jasper Arryn serves faithfully as his Lord Regent. He is betrothed to his cousin, Princess Rhaelle Targaryen, the youngest of Prince Aegon's daughters.

The Stormlands

The Stormlands are ruled by the Laughing Storm, Lyonel Baratheon, a brave, just, hard working and chaste man.

He has four living children;
- Lord Harbert Baratheon
- Lord Gowen Baratheon
- Lady Mya Baratheon
- Lady Alynne Baratheon

Lord Harbert is married to Princess Daenora, the King's mother, and has one child by her, the infant Artaria Baratheon. Harbert was married to Daenora after his brother Ormund (the canonical grandfather of the Baratheon trio) died of gonnorhea. Before he died, Lord Ormund and the Princess had two daughters, Cyrenna and Myrcella, the latter of whom has the Valyrian features or her mother.

The Reach

The Reach is lorded over by Lord Denys 'the Eagle' Tyrell, an arbitrary, content, zealous, brave, and temperate man of 34. He is married to Melara, the daughter of a wealthy merchant from Oldtown. He has three children by her, and Lady Melara is preganat with his fourth.

- Lord Luthor Tyrell, the heir. He is betrothed to Cyrenna Baratheon.
- Lord Garth Tyrell, the spare. He is betrothed to Artaria Baratheon.
- Lady Falia, the bargaining chip. She is betrothed to Tytos Lannister.

The Reach has seen relative peace since the ascention of Maegor, if only through threat of force against the Florents who, as always, are attempting to seize power from the Tyrells.

THE Dorne

Dorne is ruled by the young Princess Nymeria Martell, daughter of the deceased Princess Obera Martell. As she is too young to rule, her uncle Alberyn Martell is heading a regency council. The newest addition to the Westerosi family has seen peace and plenty since its integration into the Seven Kingdoms.

The West

In 236 AC Lord Gerold the Golden passed from this veil of tears, and his eldest son, Tywald Lannister, a famously shrewd, patient, brave, niggardly and envious young man has claimed his father's titles and brought order to the West. Under him, the Lannisters have become the richest, most powerful house in the realm. His wife is the beautiful if somewhat promiscuous Ellyn Reyne. Theirs has been a happy marriage, though it has yet to be blessed with children. His heir is his twin brother and close friend, Ser Tion Lannister, Lord of the Fang Tower. Ser Tion is recently married to Lady Denyse Yelshire. Many have questioned why Lord Tywald allowed his younger brother to marry someone so below him, but all dissent has since been silenced.

The Trident

The Lord of the Riverlands is Hosteen Tully, a paranoid and wrathful man of 36. His seat is Riverrun, and he is married to the daughter of a wealthy but lowborn merchant. He has one living daughter, Lady Celia Tully, who recently reached her majority and matrilineally married Ser Simons Longbough, and ennobled hedge knight. Their union has yet to produce any children, though Celia is pregnant.

The Vale of Arryn

The Vale of Arryn is currently ruled over by Lord Jasper Arryn and his lady wife Mergereta, a lady from an ancient but impoverished Andal line. He has three living children;

- Lord Jon Arryn (Yes, that Jon) who eloped with a minor Volantene noble.
- Lady Alys Arryn, who is betrothed to a Stark.
- Lord Ronnel Arryn.

The Vale has known only peace since the start of Maegor's reign. The Arryns are largely responsible for Maegor's reign beginning in the first place, due to their honor and familial ties to Maegor. Jasper serves as regent for the Iron Throne, and his brother Eon, an honorable, craven, drunkard, and Lord of Midlor Point, rules the Vale in his stead.

The North

The North is ruled by the young Lord Edwyl Stark, a brave, lustful, and cruel lunatic, and the only son of Lord William Stark. He has already won two wars against other Stark cousins to usurp him and is facing a large rebellion by the Umbers, Boltons, and Karstarks. The Small Council in King's Landing has received urgent pleas for aid from Lord Stark every fortnight, but the council is stalled on what to do.

The Iron Isles

The Iron Isles are lead by Lord Torwyn Greyjoy, a proud, brave, deceitful man known for his utter ruthlessness in dealing with his foes. He is the second legitimate son of Daegon Greyjoy and harbors resentment against the Iron Throne. He has three children;

- Lord Quellon Greyjoy (the heir)
- Lord Ragnar Greyjoy
- Lady Mhaegan Greyjoy

The Blackfyre Threat

There are a number of Blackfyre pretenders surviving. Daemon, son of Haegon, and Aenys have both died under "suspicious circumstances," making Daemon, son of Aenys the next Blackfyre pretender. Daemon is temperate and dangerous, though he is known to be slothful. He has made it widely known that he has ambitions towards the Iron Throne, and the Golden Company has been incredibly active under him, building funds for his eventual invasion. Prince Aegon and the Small Council have been making plans to deal with him ever since the death of his father. Daemon is married to a scion of an impoverished Lyseni house with ancient lineage, and has one daugher, Maega Blackfyre.

Furthermore, Viserys, the Black Dragon's sixth son, and Jaehaerys, the Black Dragon's seventh son both live in exile with their nephew. Jaehaerys is most likely sterile, but Viserys has a son, the deformed child kinslayer Maelys, and is married to his sister Merela Blackfyre. Both are still young and could serve as vectors towards the continuation of the bane to the Targaryen line that is their family.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Wed Aug 30, 2017 16:43

Chapter 1 - A Storm is Brewing

Maegor followed Ser Quentyn 'the White Bastard' off the ship. Storm's End, Quentyn thought as he stared up at the great fortress of the Baratheons and the Durrandons before them.

"I'm home," Quentyn whispered. The White Bastard, though a bastard son of the Lord of the Emerald Isle, was born in Storm's End and raised there in his early years. He briefly returned to the Saphire Isle to take up with his father on his tenth nameday, but at the bidding of Lord Tarth's wife, he was sent back to Storm's End to squire for the Baratheons.

In front of them stood Lord Lyonel Baratheon, an extremely strong and fierce man, a famed warrior with the hallmark jet-black hair, pride, and short temper his house was famous for. Beside him was Maegor's mother, Princess Daenaera, the future Lady of Storm's End, a smile plastered on her face, and her husband Lord Harbert, the heir presumtive of the Stormlands. Maegor wasted no time, dashing at full speed for his mother and slamming into her with a hug.

Quentyn approached Lord Harbert, swinging the clingy white cloak off of his right arm. Wish I could take the damn thing off for a while.

"Ser Harbert Baratheon, it's nice to see you after so many years," Quentyn began, extending a hand to shake.

"You old arse, come here," Harbert pulled Quentyn in for a hearty embrace, crushing the air from the Kingsguard knight's lungs. They had been close friends during Quentyn's fostering. Harbert had even been prepared to marry his sister to Quentyn, many years ago, an honor he politely declined, much to Baratheon's anger. Being in the Kingsguard has been the only thing I ever wanted. How could I decline King Aerys's invitation? And Kingsguard don't marry. "So how's life been treating you?" Harbert asked his voice booming. Flanking Baratheon and his wife the Princess, were six guards wielding halberds, three on either side.

"About as well as you'd expect. It's more than a little boring most days. I just sit outside of Maegor's room and... guard it. And guard it. And guard it. All day. The boy king is brooding, which is good for a king I guess, but bad for my mental health." Quentyn laughed.

"Aye, maybe you'll join me in the sparring ring later. See if an aging stag like me can still whip your bastard arse from here to Highgarden."

At that Quentyn smiled, his stern, hard exterior cracking. "You haven't changed at all."

"Aye, and is that such a bad thing?"

The group turned towards the castle above and began marching up the path that led to the closest gate.

"Mother," Maegor asked. "Will I marry one of them?"

"No, you are promised to your cousin, Princess Rhaelle," the reply was brisque and to the point.

"But the traditions of..." He started, but never finished.

"Traditions are meant to be broken, Maegor. The bad ones, anyway. This tradition is no good." She interrupted him. The two stopped in the halls. "It was part of the deal that made you king, you know. Your Uncle Aegon wanted to be king, but he is a good man, and he settled for a marriage pact and the Handship."

Maegor considered that for a moment. "But Lord Arryn says my Uncle is a 'bloody-handed tyrant,' and that he tries to get rid of their rights."

"Yes. But Egg is a good man in his own way. So is Aemon."

"But neither is king."

"No, my son, they aren't. You are."

"Prince Aegon, your presence is needed in the small council chambers," Lord Commander Duncan said before turning to leave.

"Ok, dunk, I'm coming," Aegon smiled. It had been years since he was passed over. Maegor was almost seven. But he is no Aerion, Egg thought. Aegon had tried to remain bitter over the coup of 233 AC, but it was increasingly difficult. He ruled the realm in all but name. Well, Lord Arryn and him, and their rule would for over a decade more until the Young King reached his eighteenth nameday.

The laws Egg had managed to pass favored the smallfolk. The most significant of these limited reforms, he mused, simply gave peasants the right to trial among their peers, and gave the peasants freedom to move between estates at will. Of course, he had faced resistance... even from the Lord Regent and Protector of the Realm, Jasper Arryn. Especially from Jasper Arryn. The man was unreasonable. His "code of honor prevents him from supporting tyranny," he had once told Egg.

On the bright side, he knew Rhaelle would be a good queen. He had ensured ss much. More dutiful and less... free-spirited than her elder siblings. Duncan the Small was wed to a Royce, but Jaehaerys had broken off his betrothal to Olenna Redwyne. Daeron had refused all commands to be betrothed to anyone, much to egg's anger. Rhaelle and Maegor had become good friends, however, and few could doubt they would rule well together.

Aegon rose from his seat and made for the small council chambers.

The Baratheon girls, Cyrenna and Myrcella, were huddled in the corner talking amongst themselves. Maegor sighed. Nobody wanted to be friends with him. They were all scared of him because of his name. "Go make friends with the other children fostering here," Lyonel had told him. Easy thing to say when you weren't named for the most infamous king in the history of Westeros.

Finally, after forever, Maegor worked up the courage to approach them.

"Hello," he began, silently. The two girls turned to face him.

After Cyrenna, the elder of the two, exchanged a look with her sister, she replied. "My name is Cyrenna," she replied. After a tense moment of silence between them she continued. "We're going to go play in the courtyard if you want to come?"

"Yes, that would be nice," Maegor replied.

My name is Daemon IV Blackfyre, grandson of the Black Dragon and the rightful king of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm. For over forty years the line of the rightful king has been deposed in favor of the brood of bastards of Daeron Falseborn. I intend to end that.

Though my uncle Bittersteel is dead, recently slain in a skirmish between Myr and Tyrosh, our cause is as alive as ever. The lords of Westeros chaffe under the misrule of the usurpers and cry out for their rightful king. I sent ravens to Lords Reyne, Hightower, Tarly, Yronwood, and Florent. The Hightowers and Florents have pledged support to us, while the Greyjoys reply are toying with which side to join. They'll come to their senses soon enough. And if they don't I will travel to Pyke with my armies and root them out of their strongholds like the parasites they are.

My generals and leal uncles, Viserys and Jaehaerys, stand ready to serve me in the great wars to come. My family has suffered much and more in our time in exile. I will make the usurpers pay for what they have done to us. They will know nothing but blood and fire. For we bear the sword!

Notes: Maegor's first six years were pretty uneventful so I took the liberty to skip them. Sorry for the lack of screen shots, I plan to edit the portraits of the relevant characters in at some later date.
Last edited by JDSweet on Fri Sep 01, 2017 17:20, edited 3 times in total.
JDSweet

PostPosted by AWildWightAppeared! » Fri Sep 01, 2017 04:44

Good stuff. Maegor's turning out quite nicely for now.
AWildWightAppeared!

PostPosted by JDSweet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 13:26

AWildWightAppeared! wrote:Good stuff. Maegor's turning out quite nicely for now.

Thanks. He gained brooding from some event about other children shunning him. I just feel sorry for the guy. His father was a real douchebag to give him that name. He also briefly became depressed but recovered.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Thu Sep 07, 2017 02:18

Next update will be some time within the next week. Marching band has been eating up a lot of my free time lately.
JDSweet

Return to After Action Reports (AAR)