Damo's Improved Culture Names *UPDATED 8/17/17* Version 0.4

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

Damo's Improved Culture Names *UPDATED 8/17/17* Version 0.4

PostPosted by Damocles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 15:11

EDIT: I Have updated the culture names and made it a traditional mod so it's easier to use, and all the names are in one override file.

I've been playing more AGOT lately, for whatever reason. And I got tired of seeing the same ten names crop up over and over again. I was starting to expel 'S'vrones', Bumps and Izembaros from my court, just on principal.

So I spent about ten hours of my life to improve and expand the name lists for the cultures that were both A) neglected and B) at least somewhat relevant to MY playthroughs. I didn't bother with the FAR far east, like Asshai and Yi Ti. Because I haven't played adjacent to those places even nearly long enough to start feeling nausea at seeing the same name over and over. I did all except Asshai.

They're about as loreful and thought out as is humanly possible given current resources and followed the same style conventions that GRRM used. Random generators were used for some, though only the best examples selected, and then usually played around with. It's not exactly rocket science to figure out how a Valyrian name is supposed to sound.

LINK:
NEW LINK! Updated for 0.4 (updates described in later post)

Drop it into your mod's folder.

See lower in the thread for update changes.[/spoiler]

Here's a brief rundown of what I did:

Valyrians

- High Valyrian: I added around 20-30 names, but deliberately refrained from doing more than that, since for most of the game, outside mods, only two dynasties are truly High Valyrian and their name list is very iconic. (And btw. The Sunglass, Celtigar and Velaryon dynasties should *not* be high valyrian. They were lower tier provincial houses, not dragon lords)

- Western Valyrian: Sprinkled in a few more names but mostly untouched, as it's in a good place.

- Eastern Valyrian: I took away all but ~10 of the most iconic high valyrian names for each gender, and then I added around ~90-100 names for EACH gender. This gives them a flavor of their own, without being Targaryen clones, or having the Free Cities names like 'S'vrone' and 'Syrio'. I think people will be impressed with them. There aren't really any Eastern Valyrian provinces or characters (outside a rare few), but it served as a template for those below.

- Mantaryan: With some modifications, they got the same Eastern Valyrian treatment. Because they basically are Eastern Valyrians, and it fits them much better than the Free Cities name lists.

- Tolosi: Same as above.

- Elyrian: Same as above. Another flavor of Eastern Valyrian.

- Essarian: Same deal, if you play with Century of Blood.

Free Cities

They got around ~300 new names, and were weighted so that certain naming styles are more popular in certain cities. I don't know if name weighting was fixed in 2.7, but either way, it'll still be light years better than their current shallow pool to select from.

Summer Sea

- Summer Islanders got more than ~150 new male and female names, following the basic conventions that they were based on.

- Basilisk Islanders got an improved name list with inspiration from Yoruba naming conventions given a GRRM twist.

- Brindlemen got a bunch've new names to separate them from the others and lost any they had in common with them. They're in need of portrait modding, since having them share portraits with Summer Islanders is awful. Brindlemen are basically supposed to be savage, ghoulish beasts with massive frames and brindled skins that only barely resemble men. They should get the Giant portrait treatment.

Naath - I left them alone, since their name list isn't such an eye sore once the others got their own.

First Men

I mostly concerned myself with the 'neglected' name lists.

- Moon Clansman: They got a bunch've new names, which followed their idiom and separated them more from the wildlings. There's still a few names in common.

- Skagosi: Got a version of the Moon Clansman names, to further differentiate them from the Northmen and Wildlings.

- Free Folk: They got a huge naming revamp with a lot more names unique to them for both men and women. Female Wildling names follow much of the same conventions as we've seen in the books (Which has given us names like 'Thistle' or 'Rowan'.) I'm still working on the Free Folk names, as I want to add variants like 'Black Maris' or 'Long Ryk', etc, to give them even more diversity. I'm still deciding how to go about it.

- Thenn: GRRM basically gave these guys Viking names. Sigorn, Styr, etc. I gave them viking names with a GRRMy twist. This also gives them a different cultural flavor that separates them from the Free Folk.

- Frozen Shore: Perversely, this name list alone took up more of my time than all the others put together. They now have by far the most comprehensive cultural name list in the entire game. Which is ridiculous given they only inhabit two provinces. Either way, I found the previous iteration of their list an eyesore, as seeing 'Anteater' was just immersion breaking. So I gave them a list of actual arctic and alpine animals, separated them into male and female varieties and gave them more descriptive and immersive names. Like 'Proud Eagle', 'Blue Gull', 'Snake Eater', 'Charging Aurochs', etc. Some of them are dirty.

- Hornfoot: Got Mountain Clan/Skagosi-esque names. Primary incentive is to differentiate them from Free Folk and Thenn.

- Cannibal Clan: Same as with Hornfoots.

Misc

- Gogossosi: Completely revamped Gogossosi's name list, since they're part of a pet project of mine. Since I don't know, I have kind of a soft spot for the 'tenth Free City' built on blood magic, bestiality and slavery, that gets wiped out by the Red Death. Someday I'll release the mod for them, if you play the century of blood bookmark. But they have a dash of Essosi, Eastern Valyrian, Basilisk Island and Ghiscari names to reflect the city's mongrel origins.

- In the entire canon of Game of Thrones literature, there is only a single named Ibbenese. So I did my best to work on and expand it in a flavorful fashion, and I'm happy with it. I did the same for the females who had the generic Free Cities 'S'vrone' list. Keep in mind that Ibbenese are not part of the Free Cities. They're technically, like a separate race according to World of Ice and Fire, akin to brindlemen in that crossbreeding produces stillborns. I have a mod for this too, that I intend to release eventually.

- Dothraki were given some new names, since they seemed easy.

Please note that I didn't go through and re-name pre-existing characters, so at various bookmarks, starting lords will still have whatever name they were originally given. Anyone is welcome to re-use these lists, no permission needed.
Last edited by Damocles on Thu Aug 17, 2017 06:43, edited 9 times in total.
Damocles

Re: Damo's Improved & Expanded Name Lists for Hitherto Neglected Cultures

PostPosted by melancholyroar » Sun Aug 06, 2017 23:26

This is awesome! Thanks for this!
melancholyroar

PostPosted by E_RedStar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 02:37

That's amazing! I'm going to use it in all my playthroughs from now on. However, why don't you make it a "proper" sub-mod instead of a drag & drop?
E_RedStar

PostPosted by knuckey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 17:55

Nice work! I'll add them to the main mod if you agree?
knuckey
Site Admin

PostPosted by Damocles » Sat Aug 12, 2017 20:40

knuckey wrote:Nice work! I'll add them to the main mod if you agree?

Of course. I've been working on and improving the lists as well, since I first posted, but didn't know if there were enough interest. I've also been adding names that have shown up in later books/sources, but weren't added yet.

E_RedStar wrote:That's amazing! I'm going to use it in all my playthroughs from now on. However, why don't you make it a "proper" sub-mod instead of a drag & drop?

It seemed too small and niche an addition to warrant its own launcher treatment.

I'll have a new version up of the names list by tonight, with some late additions and tweaks. I also went and did the Bone Mountains, and the Farosi cultures, which I thought should have more exotic names.
Last edited by Damocles on Sat Aug 12, 2017 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Damocles

PostPosted by StoneWallace17 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 20:46

Haven't started a new game yet but what I saw in the files I liked a lot. Thanks!
StoneWallace17

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Sat Aug 12, 2017 22:16

Damo I can definitely say that there is interest. Grabbed it myself :)
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Damocles » Sat Aug 12, 2017 22:47

There's going to be a much better version up, which I'll make easier to install by having it as an override, when I get home tonight from work. It'll include the Jade Sea too. I started on Qarth, and then just went on with the others. And if knuckey doesn't mind the name themes, then it'd be neat to see them added to the main game, too. He's also free to pick and choose.
Damocles

Re: Damo's Improved Culture Names *UPDATED*

PostPosted by Damocles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 04:20

NEW Update.

I much improved on what I had done before. The link is here:

DOWNLOAD LINK:

First post is also updated. I will list naming changes here, cause there's too much.

I did pretty much all of the cultures except Asshai, and I didn't fuck around with the main Andals/Northmen names too much, beyond adding a few names that were missed from the books. I wanted to focus this on cultures that clearly only had placeholders or very few names.

CULTURE NAME CHANGES:

- I tried to keep all naming conventions as close to what GRRM or his co-writers in the 'World of Ice and Fire' book have given us, with one or two tiny exceptions. If some themes feel a bit repetitive...Well. GRRM can be a tiny bit repetitive sometimes in his naming conventions (names that end in O for example). Another example, is that I don't think GRRM knows how to use accent symbols, as they've never appeared in anything he's ever written, which makes him the anti-Eragon.

- Take all these names with a certain grain of salt. You have to imagine that GRRM figures when he's writing them, that they're all rough approximations into the mongrel High Valyrian/tradetalk that most of Essos actually speaks, or as understood by a Westerosi speaker, and then as rendered with a romanized alphabet.

- Some tweaking of everything that I touched on previously and described in the first post.

- NEW: Ghiscari - It's sort've a tongue-in-cheek self-awareness in the books that a lot of these Ghiscari nobles have the same names. I could've added hundreds, but I restrained myself to just 20-30 or so for each gender.

- NEW: Lhazareen - I gave them vaguely Turkish sounding names, because it felt deeply wrong (whatever their ethnic relation to the Dothraki), to have a Lhazareen named 'Drogo'.

- NEW: Hyrkoon: These were tough, as we have so little information about them. I came up with a few, and then gave them some more Altaic/Samoyed-esque names as a placeholder, since they basically inhabit the Urals of Essos, but if I were to keep working on any name list, it'd be these guys. A culture name like 'Kayakayanayan' almost makes me wonder if they should have more Sikh or Indian sounding names. Anyhow. This is the list I'm least content with.

- NEW: Naathi: All we know about the Naathi are three names 'Marselen, Mossador and Missandei'. So I took those themes and ran it into the fucking ground. It's better than having them sound like Summer Islanders or Basilisk Islanders, though. Here's what I did with them:

Spoiler: show
Code: Select all
  naathi = {
      male_names = {
         #Canon
         Marselen:500 Mossador:500

#DAMOC - NON-CANON

Marselon Massador Mossudan Messudan Messador Mersalan Massodar Mardelan Marssala
         Arselen Ossador Karselen Kossador Lossador Nossador Narselen Harselen Hossador Jossador Jarselen
         Barselen Bossador Cossador Carselen Gossador Garselen Martellar Mertallar Kartellar Hotellar Jartellar
         Artellar Nartellara Kosstellar Mosstellar Milsaran Kilsaran Hilsaran Bilsaran Ibran Jilan Edellan Rissend
         Athanis Reyan Carran Issand Issandor Gallendor Esselador Janselen Atylen Vilsaran Vissador Rissador
         Wissador Wistelar Kissador Retellar Retelen Edelen Martelen Jartelen Mostelen Artelen

}
      female_names = {

#Canon
         Missandei:500

#DAMOC - NON-CANON

Nyssa Nissandei Lissandei Issandei Aleriara Unalaeria Gisellara Orrisei Issacharis Bersendei Neritine Alyrelle Macharissei Charissai Atylrra Merelendra
         Urilei Yssendai Hyssanda Janalaena Manyllei Jismedei Evelendai Athessei Orissanda Ryssa Rissanda Rissendai Jissendai Missendai Mossadorai Marselenei
         Meliryn Isoronei Mahtarnei Amradei Ibranei Marivyna Massadei Mysalana Esselana Essadorei Bassadorei Khissandei Maidelena Darrisana Adelya Jilana
         Carrai Fissana Reyana Laisendai Assadai Maisinia Millansia Nannalyn Melicia Edellana Gallenai Miasellenai Mariheria Eysania Hilania Athanissai
      }
   }

- REVISED: There's a single Basilisk Islander in the books named 'Tumco' in Meereen. I changed or shortened a lot of the names to make them fit better. Still, this is the culture I'm least worried about, as it's repeatedly mentioned that the Basilisk Islanders are basically a bunch've mongrels.

- NEW: the nomadic Jogos Nhai and the settled Nghai are supposed to be closely related cultures ethnically, even moreso than the Dothraki and Lhazareen (except for the headbinding). However, one had Afghani names, and the other had Vietnamese names. I didn't like most of the Afghan names, cause they sounded too Arabic/Islamic, and I didn't like the Vietnamese either. So as a placeholder, I gave them modified Khitan names. Which is pretty much what they are, anyways. The Xiangonu/Khitan/Huns of the GOTverse. We're given two Jogos Nhai names in the World of Ice and Fire collection, as 'Gharak' and 'Zhea', which even though I don't like those names and doubt GRRM came up with them, do roughly fit the vowel structure of most Khitan names. Either way, they're not Afghani or Vietnamese now.

- NEW: The Moraqi all have vaguely Arabic sounding dynasties, and since I'm not messing around with dynasties, I was happy enough to give them arbitrarily GRRMified Arabic names. If you're a Arabic speaker, these names are going to look to them, what 'Addam, Yohn, Rickard, Symon and Eddard' looks to an English speaker, but even GRRM slipped a 'Jon' or a 'Duncan' into there. I'm happy with these.

- NEW: The Yi Ti were interesting. I found their current non-canon list to be mostly too Vietnanmese, and not really in line with the ten or so Yi Ti names we've been given. Which have all been short, monosyllabic, Chinese-esque names. Not Vietnamese like, which tends to include extra letters, like Hs and Gs. And the Yi Ti we're told of in the book were all God Emperors, so I doubt nobles had longer and more flowery names. So I gave the Yi Ti a bunch've GRRMified Chinese-esque names, with some arbitrary gender themes. Yi Ti males and females have a bunch've unisex names because in RL, Chinese boy and girl names are often spelled the same (at least in romanized pinyin Chinese) but have completely different meanings based on gender. There was a canon name of 'Bathi' given for Yi Ti females, but that was actually a dynasty name. The character's name was 'Bathi Ma Lo', so would have been 'Ma Lo'. Despite that, I resisted the urge to add a ton of compound names, because no other names were compounded. Or it might be only a female thing. So maybe I'll go back someday and only compound female names.

- NEW: I gave the Lengi vaguely GRRMified Tamil/Southeast Asian names. The only name we have to go on is Khiara. So you got GRRMified Tamil-esque names for the most part.

- NEW: I came up with a Qartheen name list from scratch, although I included the best of the non canon ones, and I ditched the ones taken from the Free Cities. I had fun with these. They have a vaguely GRRM Greek flavor, and a handful of compound names. When I reread this list, half of them sounded like Jedi Knights to me, but that's not my fault. You can see what I did with them here:

Spoiler: show
Code: Select all
  qartheen = {
      male_names = {
         #CANON
         Egon Mathos Pyat Sallor Sybassion Urrathon Wendello Saathos Xaro Xandarro

#NON CANON
         Gathril
         Navathos
         Mundello
         Ognos
         Regon
         Surindos Semython
         Wullon
         Zathor

#DAMOC

"Athe Nades" "Harm Odios" "Astyn Naax" "Chilon Cedes" "Demo Ilon" Edellos Dathos Ayat Dyat Igon Nallor Mallor Wallor Nurrathon Arrathon Sathon Paathos Daathos Xallor Daro
         Phalinos  Zendello Zagon Tebos Lydathos Tallor Tathos Apellos Lemnus Abderos Tharybos Phanos Lyodamos Lyat Kyat Periso Chabrio Telemacho Dyathrambo Thersito
         Chigon Chathos Kathon Arrotho Podarro Naadaro Sydaaro Kallinos Timonax Chalcodon Damasto "Kae Xheno" "Pharno Odon" Tychido Proto Agropo Lathos Hallor Ochos "Clin Thoon"
         Kephalo Dunbello Kenbello Xathos Xallor Xantho Qallos Qendello Qara Qyat Qathos Qgon "Qgon Dhee" Kybassion Dybassion Tybassion Tython Ducethon Talathon Pharathon Xaathon
         Paathon Maathon Thon
      }

female_names = {
      #NON CANON
      #DAMOC

Damis Cedea Phalina Anygoni Chabris Thersitas Cupha Euphenas Oiclas Podalina Lycareta Kallinas Timona Pharna Tychida Astya Naxi Chilona Dema Edella Dathi Ayati Igona Nallora Mallora Wallora
      Sathonis Paathis Daathis Xallora Daris Phalinas Zagona Teba Lydathi Tallora Allora Apellas Lemnas Abdera Tharyba Phani Lydami Lyati Kyati Perisa Telemacha Dyathramba Chigonis Damia Kypris
      Xantippes Omphalis Xara Megara Erenike Myrine Katina Kyadora Nemerte Iphis Issa Sybasteia "Ar Monia" Raisa Nysa Cratais Dianais Antheia Thyia Rhene Xanthe Evadne Cytheria Chiore Achradina
      Thalassi Maiandria Antehe Sotera Lanike Orythia Pylanta "Pyona Mey" Lathis Hathis   "Kala Ida" "Nal Ora" "Alo Isa" "Oda Xaen" "Sita Oan"
      }
   }

I'd be happy for knuckey to use any of these.
Damocles

Re: Damo's Improved Culture Names *UPDATED 8/12/17*

PostPosted by Damocles » Sun Aug 13, 2017 22:09

For anyone whose interested, I'm currently working on the Andals and Northman name lists.

I think it shows in the books that names are much more geographically distributed than we'd think. There's a Rickard in the Crownlands as well as the North, and Jons everywhere.

What I'd like to do is expand each of the Andal name lists by at least 15-20 names, and then better show the regional diversity by weighing the canon names higher.

I'm not going to make up new names for them though, since I think part of the thrill people get from the mod, where Westeros is concerned, is seeing the same names from the books (Since GRRM has given us hundreds of them, unlike the tiny handful for everywhere else). But they can be more liberally distributed.

I've also already added at least 10 more missing names from the books.

More controversially, I've removed a couple names that were clearly of peasant/criminal stock, and not really fit to show up in noble households. For example...Rorge. That's no more a suitable lord name than say, 'Wat' or 'Yew'.
Damocles

Re: Damo's Improved Culture Names *UPDATED 8/15/17* Version 0.3

PostPosted by Damocles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 09:14

I've updated the link to version 0.3, both in the first post and at the bottom of this one.

- Added a huge amount of missing names that have been in the books or world book but not added yet.

- Continued refining and adding names. Added a bunch've a 'flavorful' Wildling names. Some better Yi Ti and Dothraki names. Tweaked others. It might be disconcerting getting 'Mad Marny' or 'Sweet Thom' as a newborn, but should that happen just keep five things in mind:

1) You already have to suspend disbelief since Wildlings don't name their kids until they're two years old.
2) Most canon Wildling nicknames seem to be deliberately ironic, self-deprecating or misleading.
3) I pretty much wrote them to not be predicated on traits, but even if I had, #2 would still cover this
4) They only make up about 10% of the possible names so far
5) You can always rename a kid something else.

I'd like to add a lot more eventually.

- The Andal female name list was in a sorry state. There aren't hardly any unique female names among the Vale, Westerlands, Reach, Crownlands, Riverlands and Stormlands to begin with. There's Jeynes everywhere, for example. It didn't seem fair that some of the Andal lists should be so sparse, while others should have so many just cause we've met more female characters from there.

So what I did was mostly combine the Andal female lists, so that they share about ~90% of the names. (And I added a bunch've new semi-canon and canon book ones too.) But I went through and weighed them differently.

If any female, from any region, has a name that was mentioned in the books, consider it about 5-10x more likely to show up than it would've been otherwise. So you're far more likely to see a Cersei in the Westerlands, a Margaery in the Reach and a Catelyn in the Riverlands. You'll still see Jeynes everywhere.

- Played around a bit with the Old Andals list, to try and give them any name that was mentioned of as belonging to an Andal knight or warlord.

- Started tenatively on the First Men. (Note that Half-Southrons, Dornish Andals, Stone Dornish, etc, got a hefty serving of Andal female names).

I eventually want to do something similar with male Andal names.

LINK:
Damocles

PostPosted by yeen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 09:44

Amazing work, Damocles. Are you going to do a unique set for the Old Andals since they are closer to what Andal culture was at the time of the Invasion? Maybe something like Anglo-Saxon names given the GRRM treatment?
yeen

PostPosted by Damocles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:41

yeen wrote:Amazing work, Damocles. Are you going to do a unique set for the Old Andals since they are closer to what Andal culture was at the time of the Invasion? Maybe something like Anglo-Saxon names given the GRRM treatment?

That's what I'd like to do, yes. A mostly unique, archaic set of names, based off the 10-12 that GRRM has given us, like 'Hugor', 'Togarion the Terrible', Argos, Artys, Drox, Torgold, etc. Even the ancient Andals apparently had some Joffreys and Jaimes among them, though. Both are given as names for Andal household knights in the invasion. The House of Arryn supposedly has the purest Andal blood. But not all vale names are appropriate. 'Robar' is indisputably a First Men name for example, so I removed it from the Old Andals.

I also want to improve the female First Men names. Although 'First Men' can be deceptive, since there's a lot of Andal diffusion, especially among the northmen, and there are common names shared north and south. Like Brandon, Rickon, Jon, etc.

This seems to go doubly for females, and we're only really given about a 7-8 unique Northern female names. Barbrey, Sansa, Arya, Eddara, Dacey, Maege, etc. The others are shared with the South. And that's probably only because GRRM hasn't introduced enough southern characters to re-use all those names.
Damocles

PostPosted by StoneWallace17 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 00:42

I'm getting crashes on startup with the latest version, even with everything but AGoT and this disabled.
StoneWallace17

PostPosted by Damocles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 06:12

StoneWallace17 wrote:I'm getting crashes on startup with the latest version, even with everything but AGoT and this disabled.

That's strange. Something else must be causing the crash. All my mod has is a single culture override file, and you can open it yourself to see all it does is replace the names entry.

When I upload version 0.4, I'll include a second link that has the culture files themselves as a drag and drop rather than as a separate mod. You could also manually cut and paste them in, in about five minutes.

0.4 is going to have much better Free Cities names as well. I made them more culturally distinctive between the cities, weighted them better, added more missing names from the books, and doubled the amount of female names. There'll be more wildling names as well and the Old Andals. Some Ironborn stuff too for the first time.

I'm also trying to figure out a system to give pirates more unique names. I distantly recall there being a way to link religions to a culture's name pool.
Last edited by Damocles on Wed Aug 16, 2017 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Damocles

PostPosted by StoneWallace17 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 06:23

Yeah I have no idea. I'm gonna try just copy and pasting the names in now.
StoneWallace17

PostPosted by Damocles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 06:24

StoneWallace17 wrote:Yeah I have no idea. I'm gonna try just copy and pasting the names in now.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=019 ... 8927369732

Here, I did it for you. This is just 0.3 though, and without the 0.4 changes yet.
Damocles

PostPosted by StoneWallace17 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 06:41

Oh cool, thanks.
StoneWallace17

PostPosted by StoneWallace17 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 07:17

Still wasn't working, but I found the issue. In both methods you provided there's an extra " symbol, "Ah Bao" was ""Ah Bao". Line 3864 in the override, and in the jade_sea_2.txt file it's line 411.
StoneWallace17

PostPosted by Damocles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 01:37

StoneWallace17 wrote:Still wasn't working, but I found the issue. In both methods you provided there's an extra " symbol, "Ah Bao" was ""Ah Bao". Line 3864 in the override, and in the jade_sea_2.txt file it's line 411.

Thank you for finding it. It's very strange that it crashed your game and not mine. That'll be fixed from here on.
Damocles

Next

Return to Sub-Mods