Interesting Character to play as

For any general subject related to the mod

Interesting Character to play as

PostPosted by Syrio » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:38

I'm about to get back into this mod and just wondering what would be a very interesting character to play as. Playing in Westeros often leads to quite a stagnant playthrough so I am more interested in a Essos playthrough. However if there is someone in Westeros worth playing then please give your suggestions.
Syrio

Re: Interesting Character to play as

PostPosted by imp » Fri Aug 11, 2017 14:00

tl;tr Try ironborn or pirate to keep you main characters flowing (YOLO, LFDY, and that ish)

Definition of interesting is vary. I find Braavos and Myr quite boring, played them both recently (although Myr and other slavers have special CB raid for slaves and special interactions with slaves at your court, which might be interesting, but not for long, esp interactions very soon start to be felt as annoying micromanagement, and CB is felt like a tributary one in vanilla but your tribute is some amount of slaves and you get them at once instead of over time).

Now playing as Lord of Old Wyk, ironborns have special decision go to reaving, similar to pilgrimage but can be repeated more than once per life, two of my chars were slain while reaving (one was 23 yo, and another 21) so I had 2 regencies in a row, now I’m 17 yo woman bearing a child and as soon as she will give birth to the heir she’s going to reaving :)
It is interesting for me because these leads to diverse gameplay (once you are really good char, soon you are a child (this esp interesting because usually it is very rare situation in my playthroughs and children have unique events), then you a woman, then man but with really crappy traits, etc.). And being able to reaving means that you have sth to do even if you cannot conquer neighbours or anything else.
So I’d say if you want to try count level gameplay and not obsessed by idea of acquiring higher tiers, then ironborns are the best bet.
Also there are pirates on Rhoyne (the river), I did not play as pirate, but would assume they might be similar to ironborn.
I’ve cheated to see if restoring Rhoynar kingdom would be interesting, and well, it was not really, just an average feudal realm, nothing special given culture and religion.
imp

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Fri Aug 11, 2017 14:54

I started my last game with the plan that my empire would shatter between several sons once it built up. Starting point was a colonized Valyria with like 4-5 empire titles (New Valyria(vanilla), Old Valyria(colonize valyria), Valyrian Empire (Dragons of the East, Aurions Host (vanilla), and a creation of my own added.

Expanded my territories through invasions/colonization until my empire stretched from the Narrow Sea to the Bone Mountains. The Steel Road, Stone Road and Old Road Way are basically the eastern borders each with a group of mercenary armies stationed to defend the eastern borders, and the Dothraki are 100% extinct :twisted:

Then conquered the Iron Throne. From there let some time pass then when one of my rulers had 6 adult sons, I save edited to ensure each of the titles had de jure lands as well as that those lands were connected to each other. No empire with a de jure of Myr and Dothraki with nothing connecting them. With the edited save loaded and game paused, granting the younger sons the empire sons the different empire titles so I only retained one empire. This left Westeros/Essos basically split between 6 empires: Iron Throne, (New) Valyria, (Old) Valyria, (Empire) Valyria, (Aurion) Valyria, (Mine) North/Vale/Riverlands.

Once that's all done go observer mode and hit play to let some time go by. I'm hoping the house is greatly reduced to maybe one title to see if I can reclaim the territory/titles again :p
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Mirith » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:25

I have several few ideas for you to play as.
All were pretty much incredibly fun to play and very rarely boring.

1. Blackfyre pirates.
It sounds little crazy, but start as custom character of Sunstone/Bloodstone/Dagger lake (although Sunstonw is my personal favourite).
You basically have incredible firepower at your disposal. You will forever have claim on kingdoms, you can raid, steal valyrian swords, great challenge with managing your family. And since its open succession, you can freely choose your heir.
And as Blackfyre you have few perks. Like hiring golden company. Or marrying close relatives.
I have also to mention pirate CB, which can be used to conquer anyone, concubines and slavery.

2. Rhoynar Avengers.
At first this may sound stupid... but it's more like story of revenge.
You can start as Lord of various Rhoyne provinces. Or start as Dornish. But you need to have religion of Mother Rhoyne.
Your goals?
A) Depose those filthy Martells, who laid with their enemy. Valyrians, which destroyed their kingdoms long ago.
B. Take over Dorne and convert it into Mother Rhoyne religion. And probably Rhoynar culture?
C) Reclaim Kingdom of Rhoyne and rebuild it.
D) Exterminate all major Valyrian families like Targs, Velaryons or Blackfyres.
E) Take all the valyrian swords and destroy them all. (You could use console to take away swords). You could "throw them into Mother Rhoyne" as sacrifice.
F) Conquer Volantis as revenge for destroying Rhoyne.

3. Lengi Madman
Well... YI Ti by itself is pretty nice place to play. Leng is better. You have several more perks, unlike YiTi.
Better portraits, same mechanics, cool starting position anx possibility to destroy the world.
Yeah. As Lengi ruler you can have chain of events tied to Old Ones.
If successful... you'll probably have game, which will never be forgotten.
Mirith

PostPosted by m3dicated » Sat Aug 12, 2017 16:06

I have always liked Hightowers. They're a powerhouse and with The Reach, even more so. You could make the Oldtown the first city of Westeros, instead of being the second.
m3dicated

PostPosted by Khal Mengo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 16:40

Play as Khal Drogo. Make the aim of your game to put your wife, Daenerys' on the Iron Throne.
Khal Mengo

PostPosted by microcuchon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 17:08

Qarth has very interesting and convoluted political system, with 3 rival merchant republics and landed feudal nobles under a noble oligarchy. I played one of the Merchant Houses, starting with just 50 soldiers, a manse, a trade post and some gold. It is rewarding and interesting
microcuchon

PostPosted by Enriador » Sat Aug 12, 2017 18:28

I played a fantastic game as Ghiscar under Daenerys. Gave up any claims on Westeros and focused on taking North Valyria, Lhazar and the Basilisk Isles. Really amazing, unfortunately you have to go down the boring event chain of non-canonical liberation of the southern Free Cities before settling in Ghiscar.
Enriador

PostPosted by Andre Massena » Sat Aug 12, 2017 21:47

microcuchon wrote:Qarth has very interesting and convoluted political system, with 3 rival merchant republics and landed feudal nobles under a noble oligarchy. I played one of the Merchant Houses, starting with just 50 soldiers, a manse, a trade post and some gold. It is rewarding and interesting

I think Qarth, Volantis, and Norvos have the most interesting governments

Reviving the Kingdom of Saarnor could be a fun game
Andre Massena

PostPosted by Enriador » Sun Aug 13, 2017 02:18

Volantis is interesting and has many unique mechanics, but the endless triarch elections (canon sure, but still annoying) and inevitable peasant revolts that forces my patrician to become feudal just breaks it for me.
Enriador

PostPosted by microcuchon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 17:46

They are yearly elections, and one of the most interesting mechanics in the game, that forces you into tough choices. I do not know about peasants revolts, in my experience they are not more frequent in Volantis than in any other place.
microcuchon

Return to General Discussion