AAR: The Last of the Black Dragons

Post your mod AARs and stories here

AAR: The Last of the Black Dragons

PostPosted by dontwakethedragon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 20:09

This will be an alternate history of Westeros, beginning with the aftermath of Robert's rebellion, and the shattering of the seven Kingdoms. Rather than unite all of Westeros after the mad King's defeat, Robert has proven himself such a terrible ruler that a great civil war has shattered the seven Kingdoms, resulting in the rise and fall of numerous petty Kings and high lords.

A Brief History of Robert's Rebellion and the Bloody Aftermath, Recorded By Maester Alester of Dragonstone

When the lord of Storm's End declared himself King by right of a thin claim derived from his Grandmother's Targaryen blood, all of Westeros was thrown into a period of utter chaos that would not end, even in the usurper's victory. Although Westeros has seen many a war since Aegon the Conqueror forged the Iron Throne with fire and blood, what followed the death of the Mad King and his family was a period of strife which not even the wisest of our order could have envisioned.

Beginning with the murder of Prince Rhaegar's wife and her two small children, those loyal to house Targaryen refused to bend the knee to the usurper. Led by Prince Doran Martell, the resistance fought on even after Queen Rhaella was reported to have died in childbirth, hoping to place the Crown upon Princ Viserys' head and restore the Targaryens to power. Entire towns burned, Castles fell, high lords and smallfolk died, but the war would not end. Forced to barricade himself within the Red Keep, Robert Baratheon hastily wed Lady Cersei Lannister to ensure the loyalty of her lord father, but the lion of Casterly Rock proved treacherous and refused to commit his army to the destruction of the resistance.

A year after Prince Rhaegar's death, rumors arose in Essos of yet another claimant to the Iron Throne, the last of Daemon Blackfyre's line. Said to wield the sword, Blackfyre and rumored to have journeyed to the ruins of old Valyria in search of dragon eggs. At the time, few believed such fanciful tales, but as it is oft times proven, fact was indeed stranger than fiction in the case of Daemon the Last as the coastal lords now refer to him. Not only was the last of the Blackfyre line possessed of a dragon's egg, but as Stannis Baratheon would soon discover with his own eyes, Daemon had a living dragon.

Although it was no great beast like the Black Dread, it carried the last Blackfyre across the sea and to the island fortress of Dragonstone, held by Lord Stannis and a small garrison of the usurper's loyal men. Lords Velaryon, Celtigar and Bar Emon bent the knee immediately and once word reached them of the dragon, the claw lords and the Masseys of Stonedance swiftly followed suit. Dragonstone would serve as Daemon's seat and the usurper's brother was made an unwilling guest whilst ravens flew to lords great and small. By the time Dragonstone had a single reply, the Iron Throne of Westeros was no more... Civil war had shattered the seven Kingdoms, old feuds had reignited, and from Dorne to the Wall, war continued unabated.

After a year on Dragonstone and no end to the civil war in sight, Daemon had himself Crowned on his thirty-seventh name day in a ceremony held in the Sept at Dragonstone. He donned a replica of Aegon the Conqueror's Crown and swore a solemn oath to reforge the Iron Throne or die in the attempt. In truth, Daemon ruled no more than the coastal lords of Westeros, whilst the usurper remained in control of King's Landing and many of the smaller lords of that region. The Starks were busy trying to reunite the North, the Tyrells sat idle in Highgarden, and elsewhere, lawlessness prevailed. Many feared that King's Landing would burn in dragon fire, but Daemon insisted he would not use his dragon to reclaim the Red Keep. Too many innocents had already died, our new King said. It was then that I chose not to return to the Citadel as I had intended. This was a King I could serve. A King who had the best interests of the people at heart.

The Black Dragon's Kingdom

The King on Dragonstone, Daemon Blackfyre

His Bannermen

His Hostage, Stannis of the house Baratheon

His Loyal Maester, Alester

Dragonstone, One Year After Daemon's Landing

The Lord of the Tides stood with his King as he studied the painted table, his expression as grim as the weather that evening. "The usurper will not yield, Your Grace." said Lucerys Velaryon. "Lords Stokeworth, Chelstead, Gaunt, Langward, and several others remain committed to the defense of King's Landing and I fear thousands will die if we take the city by force."

The old man had often counseled Daemon in the wisest course of action and he was one of the few men Daemon trusted. Although he was officially Master of Ships in so far as the other lords were concerned, Lord Lucerys Velaryon was truly Hand of the King in all but name. "I don't intend to rule over corpses, my lord. There has to be another way--a better way..." the King sighed. "We still hold his brother."

"It makes no difference. I've sent a raven each month since you took Dragonstone and the reply is always the same... Robert will not yield King's Landing, not even in exchange for his own brother. He knows you won't kill Lord Stannis." Said the Lord of the Tides.

"I should kill him to prove myself serious, but there is no honor in it." Daemon insisted. "Stannis fought bravely and I gave him my word that no harm would come to him if he yielded Dragonstone. What sort of King would I be if I broke my promise? I have no ill will toward the Baratheons. Everyone knew Aerys was as cruel as Maegor and in truth, I admire Robert for having the courage to unseat him, but it was ill done... The children were innocent and so was Rhaegar's wife. Tywin Lannister will answer for that in due course, but for now... There are other matters to tend to."

"Indeed, Your Grace. You must needs take a wife. You need an heir, or all this will be for naught." Velaryon insisted.

"Send a raven to King's Landing. Tell Robert I will release Lord Stannis in exchange for the Crown of Aegon the Fourth. We may as well gain something for holding his brother hostage all this time. As to the latter... I believe I shall wed Lord Blackwood's sister. He is presently the strongest of the river lords and with his help, we can retake the Trident." Sid the King.

"Lady Danelle? She is hardly a fitting consort for one who is blood of the dragon." Lord Lucerys complained. "Would that I had a daughter..." he grumbled. "I... Suppose she will do for now."

"Had you a daughter, she would be my Queen, my friend. Sadly, there are no suitable brides of valyrian blood to be had--though I must confess, I've always preferred the dark-haired ones..." he mused. "Lady Danelle is beautiful, cunning, and if her brother betrays me, I'll claim his lands in her name and give them to the Brackens in exchange for their loyalty."

Lucerys nodded, a smile curling his lips. "A clever notion, Your Grace, though I should think your would-be Queen will not like it."

"Then let us hope that her brother is not foolish enough to defy me. Send a raven, inform him of my terms and my desire to wed within the month. Perhaps then, Lord Celtigar will stop pestering me about the succession." Said the King.

Hours later, Daemon was halfway through a bottle of Arbor Gold when another of his advisers demanded an audience. "Come in Ser Davos--will you take a cup of wine with your King?"

"Apologies, Your Grace, but we've received word from Dorne..." Said the Onion Knight. Ser Davos had sworn himself to Daemon, along with the rest of Stannis' bannermen when Daemon gave them the choice of bending the knee, or being a meal for his young dragon. Having no wish to depart the world so soon, the Onion Knight followed the others and swore fealty. At first, Davos mistrusted his new King, but a year as Daemon's Hand had put all his doubts to rest.

"Let me guess... Prince Doran has declared for the mad King's son?"

Ser Davos nodded grimly. "He has, Your Grace. Dorne is also in the middle of a civil war due to the conflicting loyalties of some of its lords. I'm afraid if you're looking for help from Dorne, well... It's not coming."

"I expected as much. Rhaegar's children were of his blood. He may well deal with the Lannisters for me, so for now, we'll leave him to his wars. Tell me, Ser Davos... Has there been any word from Essos regarding the mad King's son?"

"Queen Rhaella gave birth to a daughter, Your Grace. She and Viserys are guests in Pentos as we speak." Said the Onion Knight.

"A daughter could prove useful." Daemon mused. "Were I to have a son, their marriage would reunite the blood of the dragon and put an end to this pointless conflict so many have died for."

"You don't share your father's hatred of the Targaryens, Your Grace?"

"Why should I, Ser Davos?" Said the King. "My ancestors wrought nothing but bloodshed in their attempts to win the Iron Throne and when Maelys killed my father, I became the last of the Black Dragons. Should we continue this feud until the blood of the dragon is no more? Maelys I hated and Ser Barristan robbed me of my vengeance. I have no reason to hate Viserys and his infant sister... It is my wish that both branches of our great house be united in one purpose... The restoration of the Iron Throne. It might surprise you to hear it, Ser Davos, but if I should fail to produce an heir with my new bride, I intend to name Viserys as my successor--assuming he's not mad like his father, that is..."

"Forgive me for being blunt, Your Grace, but if you want to restore the Iron Throne, then why not let Robert have it?"

Daemon smiled, albeit sadly. "I've often asked myself that very same question Ser Davos... Robert has proven himself unfit to rule. Lyanna Stark's death has broken him and the lords of Westeros are not fools. The Iron Throne was broken under Robert, because he failed to command the respect of the people. Allowing Lord Tywin to murder Rhaegar's wife and children only did him harm. Had he stripped him of the Westerlands and beheaded him for his crimes, the war might well have ended. Instead, he pardoned him for a crime so vicious, none of the Targaryen loyalists would ever follow him. Even Ned Stark distanced himself after Lord Tywin was pardoned..."

"I don't know Ned Stark, but I know there were many of us who were outraged by Tywin's crimes..." The Onion Knight admitted. "I understand your wish to bring order back to Westeros, but that road is going to be long and bloody."

"And we have Robert Baratheon to thank for it. Rest assured, Ser Davos... I will do everything in my power to avoid unnecessary bloodshed. The realm has already paid a heavy price for Robert's rebellion and I have no wish to cause more harm." Daemon assured him. "That is why I'm releasing Lord Stannis and will not be attacking King's Landing. I know you were loyal to Stannis. I admire you for it, truly. It cannot have been easy for you to bend the knee to a man you did not know, having sworn fealty to the man who made you what you are..." Daemon admitted.

"It hasn't, Your Grace. What I did, I did for the sake of my sons. For all I knew, you were as mad as old King Aerys, but if it meant ensuring a future for my boys, I'd have offered you my head." Said Davos.

Daemon smiled. "The world needs more men like you, Ser Davos. I shall be sad to see you leave Dragonstone."

"Begging your pardon, Your Grace, but where am I going?"

"I assume you'll be leaving with Lord Stannis when he is released and I intend to allow it if that is your wish." Said Daemon.

Davos was stunned and speechless for a long moment. "If you'll have me, I'd just as soon stay. We haven't known each other very long, but I've seen enough to know that you are the best chance we have at restoring any sort of order to the realm and I did swear an oath to serve you when you spared my life."

"Ser Davos, I hereby absolve you of any oath you have sworn and give you permission to leave of your own free will, should you choose to do so. However... Should you choose to remain here on Dragonstone, I would be grateful for your counsel. You are one of few men I believe will speak truthfully, even when to do so may seem unwise. I need such men advising me if I am ever to rule well." Daemon insisted.

Ser Davos knelt before the Black Dragon. "I am your man, Your Grace. If you'll have me, I swear to serve you loyally and truthfully for so long as I live." The Onion Knight swore.

"Rise Ser Davos of house Seaworth, Knight of the Rainwood, and Hand of the King. And once I have it under control, you shall be Lord of Maidenpool as well, and your children after you until the end of time." Said the King.

Days later, word came from Lord Blackwood.

The wedding would take place within the fortnight, and all those loyal to the Black Dragon were invited.

A raven from King's Landing brought word of Robert's acceptance of the King's terms, and Stannis Baratheon was released in exchange for the Crown of Aegon the Fourth.

dontwakethedragon

Re: AAR: The Last of the Black Dragons

PostPosted by JDSweet » Fri Aug 25, 2017 03:48

I love this! The writing is excellent, and the characterization is above-average. I will be following this closely!

The concept is mostly unique which give you a lot of room for roleplay. I believe I did something similar, though I designed my Blackfyre pretender as a son of Maelys who WAS as mad as Aerys. Although he had many sons (all Valyrian gfx culture) with Cersei Lannister before he caught her and Jaime trying to cuck him. Gave Casterly Rock to his second son by her then married Lyanna Stark against her will.
JDSweet

PostPosted by dontwakethedragon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 18:39

All of this takes place while I'm waiting for levies to replenish so I can continue the conquest.

An Entry From Lord Lucerys Velaryon's Journal

I dare not say it too loudly and certainly not in Daemon's hearing, but we've all had the very same thought--a crabber's son and former smuggler is now Hand of the King, while men of better blood have been twice passed over. Daemon can make him lord of all the riverlands, but it does nothing to change the man's background in so far as the rest of us are concerned. My ancestors claimed Driftmark for themselves long before Aenar the Exile and his Dragons fled old Valyria. The Celtigars of Claw Isle, the Sunglass' of Sweetport Sound, all ancient, noble houses and Daemon gives the Bay of Crabs to an up-jumped smuggler who can scarce wield a sword.

We Velaryons have been slighted time and again, going as far back as Corlys the Seasnake and his son, Laenor, whose claim the great council dismissed in favor of Viserys. History may have forgotten the many injuries done to our house, but we have not. Viserys could have taken Laena Velaryon to wife after his first Queen failed to give him a son, but instead, the King chose the Hightower whore and Laena was given over to the King's brother at two and twenty. The Seasnake was furious and rightfully so given the nature of such a grievous insult to our house after his own wife's claim to the Iron Throne was dismissed. The Seasnake would have made a fine King Consort, let no man doubt it. None can say that he was not the finest Hand the seven Kingdoms had ever seen.

I am an old man now and like as not, I shall not see these wrongs righted in the years remaining to me, but my son will. Daemon has seen the damage his choice has made and to heal the rift between our houses, he offers the hand of his first born daughter to my grandson. A Velaryon will one day sit the Iron Throne of Westeros.

From Onion Knight to Lord of the Bay of Crabs

"Ser Davos of house Seaworth, Hand of the King, I hereby name you Lord of Maidenpool, your sons and grandsons to have the honor after you and until the end of time. From this day forward, all the lords of the Bay of Crab shall do you homage." Daemon spoke the words while his council looked on, some in horror while others merely shook their heads.

"Lord Velaryon, your fleet won us the Bay of Crabs. It should go to you by right." Said the Red Crab "The Onion Knight was of Stannis' men, yet our King honors him above all of us. It is not right, my lord. This crabber's son has reached far beyond his station!" he grumbled.

"The Bay of Crabs for the son of a crabber... Rather fitting, is it not?" The Lord of the Tides mused as Davos and his brood stood before Daemon. "Mark my words, my lord... He shall not have it long. When the King is dead, my grandson shall rule beside Daemon's daughter and my son as Hand. When this comes to pass, all wrongs shall be righted, though I shall not live to see it."

"Daemon's Queen may yet give him sons." The Red Crab insisted. "He seems to be in love with her and more children must surely follow the Princess."

"It makes no difference. If his council convinces him to change the succession in favor of the Princess..." Lord Velaryon's words trailed off and a smile curled his lips.

"Viserys the First did that and the realm bled for it." Said the Red Crab.

"Rhaenyra was Maegor with teats and her husband was Lord Fleabottom, hated by half of Westeros. The Princess is to be raised on Driftmark where we shall ensure she grows up to be a better Queen than any who have come before her. Regardless, my son will rule in all but name as Hand."

Just as he was about to speak, the Red Crab felt a hand upon his shoulder. "My lords." Said the King, a warm smile on his lips. "I know you are not pleased to see such a man elevated, but Lord Davos has proven himself loyal. In time, you and Lord Lucerys shall be rewarded appropriately for your service. Make no mistake. Lord Ardrian, you shall be my new Warden of the East, and Lord Lucerys... You will remain Master of Ships and from Shipbreaker Bay to Driftmark, you shall truly be Lord of the Tides."

"You'll have to take Storm's End from the Baratheons first, Your Grace." Lord Velaryon reminded him. "Till then... I should be pleased if you will remove the taint of bastardy from Aurane and grant him a Knighthood in due course."

The King nodded thoughtfully. He was himself descended from a bastard line. "Consider it done, my lord. I shall take Aurane as my own squire and when he is old enough, a Knighthood will follow. After we've brought the Stormlands into the fold, one son will rule Shipbreaker Bay whilst the other holds Driftmark."

That seemed to please the Master of Driftmark, but Lord Celtigar remained unconvinced. "You would strip the Vale from Lord Jon?"

"Lord Jon has refused to bend the Knee time and again. He has no legitimate heir and the Eyrie must needs go to someone loyal." Said the King.

In the Vale, the men fuck sheep, the Red Crab thought. "My son can hold it while I rule from Claw Isle." he replied not unkindly.

"Then it is settled. Now if your lordships will excuse me... My darling wife awaits."
dontwakethedragon

PostPosted by JDSweet » Tue Aug 29, 2017 19:14

Nice. But I must ask;

1.) Did you start with shattered realms enabled? I think that is what is hinted at, but I'm not sure.

2.) Why didn't you marry a Velaryon girl? Blood purity man. I think Lord Lucerys either has a sister or a daughter of suitable age, but I am mot sure. I guess more specifically, why did you marry the Blackwoods? Aside from the cool sigil, they only offer 3,000 men or so. The Hightowers can offer about 6,000 and the Tyrells can offer 5-7,000 with the Highlordship of Highgarden. The Hightowers have many attractive members at this time period.

Also I wonder how Daemon is going to deal with the Velaryons. Ambitious vassals must needs be dealt with, your grace.
JDSweet

PostPosted by JDSweet » Sat Sep 02, 2017 22:30

The writing is really good. Perhaps if you posted a link to each new chapter on r/CK2GameOfThrones this would get more views?
JDSweet

PostPosted by dontwakethedragon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 01:26

JDSweet wrote:Nice. But I must ask;

1.) Did you start with shattered realms enabled? I think that is what is hinted at, but I'm not sure.

2.) Why didn't you marry a Velaryon girl? Blood purity man. I think Lord Lucerys either has a sister or a daughter of suitable age, but I am mot sure. I guess more specifically, why did you marry the Blackwoods? Aside from the cool sigil, they only offer 3,000 men or so. The Hightowers can offer about 6,000 and the Tyrells can offer 5-7,000 with the Highlordship of Highgarden. The Hightowers have many attractive members at this time period.

Also I wonder how Daemon is going to deal with the Velaryons. Ambitious vassals must needs be dealt with, your grace.

1. Yes, which is also why the Blackwoods were so powerful at the time of the marriage. They took some additional land from the Brackens.

2. There were no Velaryon females available at the time and Daemon needed an heir ASAP.

3. Unless he declares war over some nonsense, Lecerys Velaryon and his family will end up as one of the most powerful houses of Westeros after Daemon brings enough of the Stormlands to heel. This will almost certainly backfire, but it does make for a challenge and good RP.
dontwakethedragon

Return to After Action Reports (AAR)