Question about checksums

For specific technical issues and questions.

Question about checksums

PostPosted by arcanum » Thu Aug 31, 2017 15:35

As the title suggests, I would just like to ask a few questions regarding checksums.

First off I would just like to know the importance of it and what it actually means - although I guess I can look around for the answer to that one so no worries on that score..!?

So basically I always have the wrong checksum and it hasn't really been too much of a problem before 1.5 but obviously now there are issues with CTD on jan 1st (always begins after 4 years). Obviously the reason for this is using mods, I always use 'the seed is strong' as an essential and then just a few minor ones, so basically I just want to know what issue this causes?

Also, I am beginning to experiment and make a few of my own mods, these are all rather basic and only change minor things like holding values and traits/icons and I would like to know what actually causes the checksum to change and how to avoid it, if it is an issue etc?

Sorry if this doesn't make that much sense, only I keep getting distracted by children as I try to type!!

Thank you for any help anyone can give!
arcanum

Re: Question about checksums

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 17:21

arcanum wrote:First off I would just like to know the importance of it and what it actually means - although I guess I can look around for the answer to that one so no worries on that score..!?

It is what keeps track of what version and modifications you have to all your files so that when you play MP you can only play with people who have the same checksum as you. It is also useful for debugging purposes as if the checksum is meant to be say ABCD and you have WXYZ that means your install has gone wrong somewhere

arcanum wrote:So basically I always have the wrong checksum and it hasn't really been too much of a problem before 1.5 but obviously now there are issues with CTD on jan 1st (always begins after 4 years). Obviously the reason for this is using mods, I always use 'the seed is strong' as an essential and then just a few minor ones, so basically I just want to know what issue this causes?

As long as the submod itself is done correctly then it changing the checksum is normal and will not cause issues

arcanum wrote:Also, I am beginning to experiment and make a few of my own mods, these are all rather basic and only change minor things like holding values and traits/icons and I would like to know what actually causes the checksum to change and how to avoid it, if it is an issue etc?

If you change anything except localisation and graphics then the checksum will change. It is not an issue, it is meant to change as you edit the files.
Graduate Content Designer on Project Caligula

My amazingly empty Twitter account: @blackninja9939

Posts edited in this colour were done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

Re: Question about checksums

PostPosted by arcanum » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32

Brilliant, thank you Blackninja that is very helpful. :)
arcanum

Return to Technical Discussion