Suggestions for Jon Snows dynasty name

For any general subject related to the mod

Suggestions for Jon Snows dynasty name

PostPosted by nicka86 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 01:10

I have revealed Jon Snows parentage, but I'm not really happy with the name
Spoiler: show
Stark-Targaryen

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a dynasty name, that "encompasses" both houses in one name.
I have currently landed on Fyrewolf, not sure if i am happy with that.
nicka86

Re: Suggestions for Jon Snows dynasty name

PostPosted by Damocles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 01:38

...Stargaryen?
Damocles

PostPosted by imp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 02:05

Why people so obsessed with encompassing? Nymeros Martell, Stargaryen—this is not how marriage works, kid gets father’s second name, it is the best proper suggestion.
Targaryen

He may encompass the sigils of his parents in his own coat of arms, sure; but it won’t change his second name.
imp

PostPosted by The Faceless » Mon Sep 04, 2017 02:13

Wolffyre, Whitefyre(his wolf's color, white wolf)
And he may get The White Dragon nickname.

I think Whitefyre is pretty cool.
The Faceless

PostPosted by Toccs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 03:48

Tark?
Smart and dumb are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Stark is born the gods flip a coin . . . and it always seems to land on dumb.
Toccs

PostPosted by Damocles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 04:10

imp wrote:Why people so obsessed with encompassing? Nymeros Martell, Stargaryen—this is not how marriage works, kid gets father’s second name, it is the best proper suggestion.
Targaryen

He may encompass the sigils of his parents in his own coat of arms, sure; but it won’t change his second name.

My suggestion was a joke.
Damocles

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Mon Sep 04, 2017 04:35

This is mostly directed at Imp.

Those are both actually 100% backwards from typical real world naming conventions that use both parents surnames. The fathers surname should always be first then followed by the mothers. So they should be Martell Nymeros and Targaryen Stark. These are also examples of compounding not encompassing.

Anyways as for names, the term you're looking for is a surname. A second name is a type of Personal name. Using Prince William (England) as an example (with his dynasty name included) would be William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor. His second name would obviously be Arthur :p

Anyways the choice to go Stark-Targaryen isn't based off of his parentage at all. it's supposed to be him creating a new dynasty on his own.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by StoneWallace17 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 04:47

I personally modded mine so that Stark-Targaryen is replaced with a second Stark dynasty that uses the Whitewolf CoA. Seems most like what Jon would do, IMO.

Although I tried to just add it as an extra option but it didn't seem to be working.
StoneWallace17

PostPosted by Tiranasta » Mon Sep 04, 2017 05:07

'Nymeros Martell' isn't a combination of two dynasty names. Nymeros (in canon) isn't a dynasty, it's a word that means 'of the line of Nymeria'.

To my knowledge, ASoIaF hasn't indicated that the Rhoynar had family names.
Tiranasta

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Mon Sep 04, 2017 06:27

That is pretty much an origin of a surname right there Tiranasta. My surname for instance says I'm the descendant of a god. There are some surnames that represent you're descended from a person, some from a god. Some from what city you come from.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by imp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 13:01

Well, despite my imprecise terminology, the point is that both a compounding and a founding must have a special reason, such as a legitimised cadet or dynastic contract for supporting claim(s).
Jon Targaryen (given he’s a lawful son of Rhaegar Targaryen) is neither a cadet nor a bastard, but the current patriarch of the house; although taking into account coin flip, I won’t be surprised if he’d do something silly.
imp

PostPosted by Enriador » Mon Sep 04, 2017 15:49

No clue why people care about "Stargaryen"; the name sounds weird.

Jon's name would be, according to Andal law and tradition, his father's: Jon/Aegon Targaryen.

The Nymeria/Martell union was a pretty isolate incident which is not repeated elsewhere in lore.
Enriador

PostPosted by Malgoth » Mon Sep 04, 2017 21:46

Why Jon must get his own dynasty name? If he is legitimate son of Rhaegar and Lyanna then he is Targaryen by birth, but if he is a bastard then by the will of the dead king Robb Stark he legitimizes as Stark. ;) Although whould be cool if he get Dreadfort in the end of aSoIaF and just like Karstarks will change his house name to Dreadstark. :lol:
Malgoth

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Mon Sep 04, 2017 22:18

The event in question is about Jon making a decision on which dynasty to either "remain" or "become".

Remain a Stark. Become a Targaryen. Found new Stark-Targaryen. This is a completely isolated/special circumstance that is entirely a personal (code for player) choice for Jon.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by wheelman82 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 23:06

Ghostfyre
Whitefyre
Snowfyre
Northfyre
Ghostdrake/Ghostdragon
Whitedrake/Whitedragon

Now, I'm not the most creative one with names, but Stargaryen is just stupid, Stark-Targaryen is acceptable and decently realistic, but then again, if he is the true born son of Rheagar and Lyanna, that's probably not gonna happen but if he is the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, along with Stannis, rejecting the Targaryen name would probably also be rejecting his claim on the Iron Throne.

Never really liked R+L=J, but in reality it's likely that's it's the truth, but that doesn't mean Jon's is a legitimate child, marriage annulment is seriously unlikely and cruel, and divorces are quite rare, polygamy is, of course, possible but illegal.
wheelman82

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Mon Sep 04, 2017 23:12

wheelman polygamy is not illegal in Westeros. It's just not done very often.

Aegon married his 2 sisters.
Maegor married multiple women (I think at any one time he was married to 3)
Lucamore Strong married 3 women
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Blitzbirne91 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 14:58

is it possible to play as jon snow in the game ?
or can i jsut reveal his parentage and let him create his own family line ?

i never tried it out
Blitzbirne91

PostPosted by sidious307 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 17:44

but i don't underdtand people have a fixationfor this character. In tv show, somme people seems worship him and is overstrenghted by show

I prefer Stannis, Roose or tywin lannister.
sidious307

PostPosted by Brume » Thu Sep 07, 2017 03:27

Jon Snow is not a bastard but the rightful heir of the house Targaryen. At least on the show, we will see on the book if he is a bastard or not.
Brume

PostPosted by wheelman82 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 14:35

LancelotLoire wrote:wheelman polygamy is not illegal in Westeros. It's just not done very often.

Aegon married his 2 sisters.
Maegor married multiple women (I think at any one time he was married to 3)
Lucamore Strong married 3 women

It's illegal in the Faith Of The Seven, which most of Westeros follows, but even if they did marry, most of the Westerosi lords would still view Jon as a bastard simply because they don't recognize polygamy.

Aegon just conquered Westeros so no one had the strength to oppose him, Meagor's rule was tyrannical and riddled with religious revolts, and ser Lucamore Strong didn't marry the women (as far as I know), and as soon as they found out that he broke his Kingsguard vows, he was castrated and sent to the wall.
wheelman82

Next

Return to General Discussion