Arya and Myrcella

For any general subject related to the mod

Arya and Myrcella

PostPosted by LudkarStark » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:00

How does Myrcella have the quick trait but not Arya?
LudkarStark

Re: Arya and Myrcella

PostPosted by Tiranasta » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:04

Personally, I think that all of the book-era Stark children except Bran and Rickon should have Quick.
Tiranasta

PostPosted by Helvetti » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:26

Arya is nimble and brave, not "quick".
Helvetti

PostPosted by Tiranasta » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:32

Helvetti wrote:Arya is nimble and brave, not "quick".

When she saw the guardsmen on the third pier, in grey woolen cloaks trimmed with white satin, her heart almost stopped in her chest. The sight of Winterfell's colors brought tears to her eyes. Behind them, a sleek three-banked trading galley rocked at her moorings. Arya could not read the name painted on the hull; the words were strange, Myrish, Braavosi, perhaps even High Valyrian. She grabbed a passing longshoreman by the sleeve. “Please,” she said, “what ship is this?”

“She’s the Wind Witch, out of Myr,” the man said.

“She’s still here,” Arya blurted. The longshoreman gave her a queer look, shrugged, and walked away. Arya ran toward the pier. The Wind Witch was the ship Father had hired to take her home … still waiting! She’d imagined it had sailed ages ago.

Two of the guardsmen were dicing together while the third walked rounds, his hand on the pommel of his sword. Ashamed to let them see her crying like a baby, she stopped to rub at her eyes. Her eyes her eyes her eyes, why did …

Look with your eyes, she heard Syrio whisper.

Arya looked. She knew all of her father’s men. The three in the grey cloaks were strangers. “You,” the one walking rounds called out. “What do you want here, boy?” The other two looked up from their dice.

It was all Arya could do not to bolt and run, but she knew that if she did, they would be after her at once. She made herself walk closer. They were looking for a girl, but he thought she was a boy. She’d be a boy, then. “Want to buy a pigeon?” She showed him the dead bird.

“Get out of here,” the guardsman said.

Arya did as he told her. She did not have to pretend to be frightened. Behind her, the men went back to their dice.
Tiranasta

PostPosted by LudkarStark » Tue Sep 12, 2017 16:59

Helvetti wrote:Arya is nimble and brave, not "quick".

Imagine Myrcella in the exact same situation as Arya in ACoK, she would die on the first day.
LudkarStark

PostPosted by Helvetti » Wed Sep 13, 2017 00:26

Yes, all intelligent people are intelligent in the same way.

Deceitful =/= quick
She is smart, but not that smart. Maybe if the mod had 3 traits like Congenital, both of them would fit in the first one.
Helvetti

PostPosted by EDAP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 00:43

I feel like this (or similar) arguments come up about 3-4 times a year, and there isn't a lot of movement on it. Last time I read one of these, the developers were not in favour of adding quick to more Stark kids or removing it from Dany. From what I recall, when the mod was young the then dev team took a vote on who to give what congenital traits, and that vote resulted in the Roberts Rebellion through to AFFC congenital traits you see. Some of these are questionable, but have been in the mod for a long time and inertia is a thing. I personally don't think Arya deserves quick (she is better represented by other traits), but also don't think Mrycella does (also represented better by other traits)
Here is a link to my personal list of FAQs. Please check there to see if it answers you question. The specific details aren't up to date, and I probably won't update it for a while, but the general ideas are unchanged.
EDAP

PostPosted by hyperionandaren » Thu Sep 14, 2017 07:56

If anything it should be shrewd. From the examples posted it seems like she's making good decisions based on the situation. "Having or showing sharp powers of judgment; astute." The definition of shrewd. If she possessed the kind of intelligence required for the "quick" trait she'd have some measure of being able to influence her situations or even predict their outcome. But it's simple enough to add which ever traits desired to whomever. Just open history, characters, and find the character desired. Then add_trait=quick to your hearts content. I add robust to the mountain every update. :D
hyperionandaren

PostPosted by Tiranasta » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41

hyperionandaren wrote:If anything it should be shrewd. From the examples posted it seems like she's making good decisions based on the situation. "Having or showing sharp powers of judgment; astute." The definition of shrewd. If she possessed the kind of intelligence required for the "quick" trait she'd have some measure of being able to influence her situations or even predict their outcome.

In many cases the meaning of a trait isn't the literal definition of the trait's name. For example, the 'Cynical' trait seems mainly to indicate skepticism of religion, as opposed to cynicism in general. In the case of Shrewd and Quick, I consider Shrewd to be trained (i.e. someone who has honed their mind to peak condition) while Quick is intrinsic (i.e. genetic), but otherwise consider them to describe the same basic thing.
Tiranasta

PostPosted by hyperionandaren » Sun Sep 17, 2017 07:47

Tiranasta wrote:In many cases the meaning of a trait isn't the literal definition of the trait's name. For example, the 'Cynical' trait seems mainly to indicate skepticism of religion, as opposed to cynicism in general. In the case of Shrewd and Quick, I consider Shrewd to be trained (i.e. someone who has honed their mind to peak condition) while Quick is intrinsic (i.e. genetic), but otherwise consider them to describe the same basic thing.

If we're going by what our opinion of what word means what, it could be determined that the 'Strong' trait would have
several different meanings. (Spiritually strong, mentally strong, and emotionally strong.) Yet strong is widely determined to mean physically (the literal meaning). While being shrewd means having sharp and astute judgement. There isn't really any other way you could interpret it unless you don't know the meaning, or go by the archaic meaning which is redundant. Quick, (when describing a person) prompt to understand, think, or learn; intelligent. While both traits in a person are synonymous with intelligence, quick does not wholly apply to Arya. Shrewd does. Not that it matters. They're not likely to add either to her. history, characters, north, 7059, add_trait=quick :D
hyperionandaren

Return to General Discussion