Volantene elections and the pool of Patricians

Post your ideas on how the mod can be improved or features you would like to see.

Volantene elections and the pool of Patricians

PostPosted by Galrun » Tue Sep 19, 2017 20:22

I was playing as a Volantene patrician for quite a while now. I love the election feature you build up, it realy gives a complete new fealing to the game as you are not in power for a complete lifetime and always have to look for the next election.
I even modded the volantis events a little so that it is more likely to not be reelected too easy as people want to see change more often in a republic and made the election criteria more divers.
The only issue I see is that the next ruler can only be one of the 5 Patricians of the republic, even if other characters can be elected minor Triarchs.
Wouldn't it be a thrilling experience if the pool of Triarch candidates would be larger so that you really have to put some efforts into beeing elected Triarch at least once in the lifetime of your character?

While facing a situation that made me even log a bug for, I came up with an idea to make the election system even more diverse:
I was often facing the situation that a patrician who holds the county of Volantis might face a hugh peasant rebellion. If loosing this he will not be a patrician anymore. Instead the peasant leader will take over the title of patrician and therefor can be elected Triarch.

This means: There is a way to change the patricians of a republic without the need to completely kill of the family. If the title can be stolen it might be possible to hand it over via a script.
Couldn't this possibility somehow be used in the Volantis election event to make any Eastern Vayrian who received the most votes in a Volantene election become a patrician and therefor the next head Triarch of the republic?
The open question would be: Which family should be removed from the pool of patricians? Well, what about the one who received the fewest votes?

Do you see any possibility to make this happen? :-)
Galrun

Re: Volantene elections and the pool of Patricians

PostPosted by Toccs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 01:31

Having the patrician families changing without killing the old family, possibly every year sounds a bit messy. It would also lead to situations where you could have several profitable trade posts, many promising children and then one year not get enough votes and be automatically game overed because you are no longer a patrician and thus not a playable character.
Smart and dumb are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Stark is born the gods flip a coin . . . and it always seems to land on dumb.
Toccs

Re: Volantene elections and the pool of Patricians

PostPosted by Galrun » Wed Oct 11, 2017 22:54

I built something similar in myself and to my astonishment it seems to work quiet well:
Every Essosi Valyrian of the Valyrian Religion can be elected main Triarch. If it is a non Patrician his House will be added to the patrician families. This is over time increasing the number of patrician families to more than 5, but the game still runs stable
Galrun

Return to Suggestions