So... I joined the team and I plan to work on the military system :
- battle events
- decisions for battle tactics
Here is my primary plan, feel free to propose change as it's best not to have half the work useless :
- Set of basic tactics (almost like vanilla) with 5 levels for each one. Each level would represente how well the tactics is executed (very bad, bad, normal, good, very good) depending on the martial skill. Bad marshal will never be able to perform a very good tactics and will likely perform a bad, if not very bad one. A good marshal will never perform a very bad tactics and will likely perform a good one, and with some luck a very good one. Bad, normal and good will always be possible but chance will be martial skill dependend.
- Set of manoeuver tactics (prepare ambush, prepare flanking...) that would inhibit most damage (still didn't manage to have no death) during the combat turn and could create a big effect when the next tactic come into use.
- Set of dynasty special tactics for flavor : lion roar, dragon breath, wolf howl, kraken tentacles... These would be little improvements over the basic tactics that would only be available to leader who have a member of the correct dynasty above them.
Battle events (2nd and 3rd need to be check possible):
- Add more battle events for the characters participating granting them prestige, health conditions, martial skills or the opposite.
- If possible, events to rally the troops (moral increase) and effects on the number of troops
- Participation of character companions (wolves at least) who could kill enemies, lower enemy moral or die trying.
Decisions for battle tactics :
That's the most unclear elements right now, but I'm thinking about decisions that would switch between possible tactics groups and/or could have different effects. For instance, choosing "no prisonner" rule would kill any character that was supposed to be captured but would lower opinions of other leaders, on the other hand "capture leaders" would increase the chance of capturing the leader at the expense of offensive power.
Also, you could for instance set "cavalry charge" that would double the chance of any cavalry charge and would also increase the chance of good one.
If I do that, it would be a kingdom wide rule so you don't get spam by it. I would also have to check if I can have the AI choose a correct one depending on his current army composition.
Feel free to comment those idea and to add any idea even if you don't know if it is possible. I'm open to any idea about it.