Character Opinions

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Character Opinions

PostPosted by McBeanie » Sat Jun 08, 2013 19:04

I started reading the books for the first time last week (rather late I know) and am about 1/3 or 1/4th through ACOK, and I thought it would be interesting to log my opinions of characters as I finish each book, and decided to share my thoughts here with anyone who cares... there will obviously be spoilers as I progress. This is my general roundup for "A Game of Thrones"

In order of "debut" chapters:

Brandon Stark
Don't have too much of an opinion yet, obviously I feel sorry for him, but, I don't have any strong like or dislike of him.

Catelyn Tully
I find her annoying, she treats Robb like he doesn't know what he's doing and frequently disagrees with his decisions, undermining his confidence. And she dislikes Jon Snow, it is fully within her right to not love Jon, but to actively dislike him is unreasonable, you don't blame the fetus for a pregnancy. She also whines a lot much about how she dislikes the North.

Daenerys Targaryen
Felt sorry for her initially because of Viserys' abuse and her being forced to marry at the age of 13, then after Viserys was "crowned", I felt rather neutrally about her, seeing as she had fallen in love with Drogo by then, then Drogo died, but she got Dragons which are awesome in general so, I like her.

Eddard Stark
Obviously, I liked Ned, if you don't, I think GRR Martin failed in what he was trying to do with the character. He loved his family and was honorable, and for that, I liked him.

Arya Stark
Arya is probably my favorite character in the books thus far, brave, independent, and smart, but still a bit young and naive.

Jon Snow
I liked Jon a lot as well, I find bastards interesting to read about because of how unique they are, their motivations are different, seeing as inheritance is impossible and there is the internal struggle of loyalty, seen when Jon attempted to desert and go to help Robb in the war against the Lannisters.

Tyrion Lannister
Rather neutral about Tyrion, I appreciate his outspokenness and cleverness. But in terms of my feelings about the character, I'm not entirely sure yet.

Sansa Stark
Meh, average princess for a lot of the book, then I began to dislike her after it was revealed that she told Cersei about Ned's plans. But after Eddard is executed, I felt sorry for Sansa due to her future husband and the obvious trauma of losing everyone you know. I'm disappointing in her for not shoving Joffrey off the wall though, but of course it's understandable.

Other Characters (That I have an opinion of):

Lysa Arryn
Crazy, psychotic lunatic... yeah, I hate her.

Robert Arryn
Annoying little brat, probably was just fine, then Lysa ruined him... but who am I to know.

Gregor Clegane
Well, he's a dick... killed two children and then raped the mother... not sure how you can come back from that.

Sandor Clegane
Another interesting character for me, he is loyal to Joffrey, but, I don't think he likes him. He's there to serve, sort of like a dog. Despite his loyalty to Joffrey he is pitiable due to his brother's abuse in his childhood. He is kind to Sansa however, no matter how much his scar frightens her. When Sansa was considering shoving Joffrey off the wall, Sandor knew but he didn't hit her, he subtly prevented her from doing so, and never told Joffrey. Another character I've come to like.

Joffrey "Baratheon"
He's an evil dick... not much else to say about him.

Syrio Forel
I think I liked him because of his manner, I wish he hadn't died.

Walder 'Hodor'
Obviously the best and most well developed character in the book.

Cersei Lannister
While I understand why she does the things she has, it doesn't make them okay, yet, the only truly evil thing she has done is urged Jaime to push Bran out of the window, she didn't have anything to do with the execution with Robb Stark, except I'm sure she had a hand in the arrest, but Ned was just too damn honorable for his own good and sort of brought it upon himself.

Jaime Lannister
He almost got me to like him by saving Bran despite Cersei's urgings, but he didn't so I dislike him, once again, understandable why it would be in the family's best interest to have him killed. I still disapprove though.

Pycelle
He just really annoyed me while Ned was imprisoned due to his unceasing accusations.

Robb Stark
I think he's smart and knows what he's doing, he's gained the respect of the other Northmen and, while his personality hasn't really developed yet, I like him.

Rickon Stark
Brat, but I'll cut him some slack seeing as he's only three.

Viserys Targaryen
Abusive brother, I hated him with a passion and was glad when he died.
McBeanie

Re: Character Opinions

PostPosted by Tub » Sat Jun 08, 2013 20:50

It's not a given that Syrio Forel died, there's a few theories around that put his character as Jaqen H'ghar. In fact, in my opinion, it's almost a given that he's a Faceless Man. Totally awesome Braavosi character, teaches Arya swordplay, and although it may just be a red herring of GRRM's, another totally awesome Braavosi turns up out of nowhere and helps Arya out at Harrenhal? I don't think that's a coincidence.

Anyway, enjoy the books. The characters really develop more as you progress through the story, especially Tyrion and Jaime Lannister. :D
Tub

PostPosted by Notalent » Sun Jun 09, 2013 08:26

A great many of the characters you listed under go huge amounts of character progression through out the story. Especially Jaime, who is perhaps the posterboy for it in ASoIaF
Notalent

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Sun Jun 09, 2013 20:54

I'll add in!!! Because I'm bored while I wait for my AC to get installed (Air Conditioner, not Assassins Creed)

Tyrion
He was done a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE justice in the TV adaption. In the books he came off as kind of an ugly grotesque little prick(replace pr with d). In the TV show he comes off as a smartass little know it all dwarf. Albeit the love story with the whore is getting annoying.

Robb
Whyyyyyyyyy did they killll you!

Aegon Targaryen
Oh this is why they killed Robb. Honestly I'm a firm believer in him being Rhaegar's actual son. And his character is very well likeable from what they've shown so far. I can't wait for his introduction to the series... Unless they cast Shia LaBeouf as this part. Then Red Wedding Pt 2 better be in the mix.

Anyways yeah... I think Syrio Forel is dead as a given. Trant was still alive after and that was definitely a battle to the death.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Notalent » Mon Jun 10, 2013 06:25

LancelotLoire wrote:I'll add in!!! Because I'm bored while I wait for my AC to get installed (Air Conditioner, not Assassins Creed)

Tyrion
He was done a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE justice in the TV adaption. In the books he came off as kind of an ugly grotesque little prick(replace pr with d). In the TV show he comes off as a smartass little know it all dwarf. Albeit the love story with the whore is getting annoying.

Robb
Whyyyyyyyyy did they killll you!

Aegon Targaryen
Oh this is why they killed Robb. Honestly I'm a firm believer in him being Rhaegar's actual son. And his character is very well likeable from what they've shown so far. I can't wait for his introduction to the series... Unless they cast Shia LaBeouf as this part. Then Red Wedding Pt 2 better be in the mix.

Anyways yeah... I think Syrio Forel is dead as a given. Trant was still alive after and that was definitely a battle to the death.

The Theory is that he's Syrio Forel is/was Jaqen H'ghar, and that Trant captured and imprisoned him in a Black cell while he awaited execution, before that happened however Yoren managed to pluck him out of the dungeons and he changed his name and face.

Honestly, its a shitty theory. Syrio Forel was a former first sword of Braavo's. A position of great prestige and fame, and Meryn Trant wasn't about to take prisoner's in that fight. Its about equal to the theory that Jeyne Westerling is in hiding with Robb's baby because Jaime didn't think she was particularly pretty, which is awful as well (and probably killed by the TV show since Jeyne's tv counterpart got offed).
Notalent

PostPosted by pook » Wed Jun 12, 2013 02:36

It's cruel to be posting or implying spoilers when the guy admits he hasn't read all of the books :(.
"It all goes back and back, to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance in our stead" - Tyrion Lannister
pook

PostPosted by Arthurius Targaryen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 03:28

At least he's reading the books, can't tell you how many annoying ppl i've encountered who only watch the show, and haven't even looked over the basic wikis of the book plots or a little in depth to the various character backrounds.

LancelotLoire wrote:I'll add in!!! Because I'm bored while I wait for my AC to get installed (Air Conditioner, not Assassins Creed)

Tyrion
Aegon Targaryen
Yes, i also believe in the at the very least Aegon being a High Valyrian Targaryen related person, i wouldn't mind a blackfyre-targaryen Union, with Dany playing as a Queen Elizabeth I style ruler but who has a Prince Consort this time.
I knew something was up, the writers were definitely way too kind to Tyrion's character, though GRRM says he is his favorite character.
Ignorance is Bliss - Various ppl.

"Remember to Pillage, BEFORE you burn" - Viking Guide to Pillaging
Arthurius Targaryen

PostPosted by QcFox » Wed Jun 12, 2013 22:24

Very simple

Ned: Love him
Robb: Love him
Bran: Dislike him
Rickon: Neutral
Sansa: Hate her
Arya: Like her
Jon: Like him

Catelyn: Dislike her
Lysa: Hate her

Tyrion: Love him
Tywin: Love him
Jaime: Like him
Cersei: Hate her
Joffrey: Hate him
Tommen: Neutral

Baelish: Love him, is my favorite
Varys: Love him
Davos: Love him
Roose Bolton: Like him

Robert: Love him
Stannis: Love him
Renly: Neutral
Brienne: Neutral

Danerys: Hate her
Viserys: Hate him
Aegon VI: Like him

Hodor: Hodor
QcFox

PostPosted by Reaper » Sat Aug 17, 2013 05:45

BEFORE READING THIS KNOW THERE ARE SPOILERS

Ned: Liked him
Robb: Mixed feelings
Bran: story is boring, mixed feelings
Rickon: Annoying twat
Sansa: Despise her
Arya: Mixed feelings because she doesn't like the hound and she seems to be pretty stupid. Wasting her 2 kills on some lowlifes and saving Roose bolton who later kills her family... Bad move
Jon: I like him

Catelyn: Despise, extremely whiny, glad when she died.
Lysa: Loved it when Littlefinger shoved her out of the window.

Tyrion: My second favorite character
Tywin: D-Bag and a half...
Jaime: Like him
Cersei: Hate her
Joffrey: Little peevish pansy. Monster that deserved to die a thousand painful deaths
Tommen: Whiny and annoying.

Baelish: Mixed Feelings, does something cool, then betrays someone
Varys: Cool by me
Davos: Like him, a very cunning fellow
Roose Bolton: Can kiss my ass
Sandor Clegane: My favorite character in the series, people say he is a dick, but think about it... His monster of a brother shoved his head into the brazier. He suffered constant beatings and maimings from his brother. I see that he has a lot of potential even though people say he is dead... GRRM Would not get rid of a character he is so fond of.

Hodor: Gotta love hodor
Reaper

PostPosted by Dactylartha » Sat Aug 17, 2013 09:12

pook wrote:It's cruel to be posting or implying spoilers when the guy admits he hasn't read all of the books :(.
Dactylartha

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Sat Aug 17, 2013 09:23

This thread was posted on June 8th, it is now August 17th. I am fairly certain that the guy who posted the thread has by now read the entire series so far.
LancelotLoire

Return to Story and Lore