Walder Frey

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Walder Frey

PostPosted by Tim » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:50

Just figured out that Frey got his family name from Norse goddess of fertility and fruitfulness... Mindblown, for some reason. :shock:
Tim

Re: Walder Frey

PostPosted by Bardo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 14:46

Frey is a common name in many games,the master of the thieves guild in Skyrim is a Frey :P And Frey was a male deity, of rules, virility and prosperity.
But yes, he was the god that was related to the Norse kings and else too. But clearly in the books it's just a surname, nothing to do with Norsemen.
Bardo

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Wed Jul 17, 2013 18:37

Freyr* Is a male god. Although the goddess Freyja (Norse were not very creative in names) is also related to fertility. She was more well known for youth and beauty, which well... Walder Frey isn't lol.
Last edited by LancelotLoire on Wed Jul 17, 2013 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Bardo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 18:39

Also known as Frey. On some accounts, he has a sister, Freya, or Freya.
Bardo

PostPosted by Tub » Fri Aug 02, 2013 21:47

There's a theory that the entire storyline of ASOIAF is based off of Norse mythology, so it's pretty cool that that's in there. :D
Tub

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Sat Aug 03, 2013 04:34

You could also think of it along the lines that the Frey's were not introduced until later into the story after the wars were kick starting. So you could think of the name coming from the saying "Enter the Fray". But with of course a slight letter change lol.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Dactylartha » Sat Aug 03, 2013 05:01

Every time I meet someone in real life with the last name Frey, I instantly get angry and look around to see if anyone else is looking at the wroth face I make :evil:
Dactylartha

PostPosted by pjnlsn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 21:52

Tim wrote:Just figured out that Frey got his family name from Norse goddess of fertility and fruitfulness... Mindblown, for some reason. :shock:

Well, Frey is also known as the Trickster God, the god of cunning and deceit, which is probably more for what the owners of the Twins are named for. And old Walder Frey of course.

EDIT: er, or it's like the other person said, there's Frey, god of tricks, then there's his sister, Freya, goddess of fertility and fruitfullness
pjnlsn

PostPosted by kopite » Wed Aug 07, 2013 00:20

Tub wrote:There's a theory that the entire storyline of ASOIAF is based off of Norse mythology, so it's pretty cool that that's in there. :D

that theory is wrong

as it is clearly the war of the roses
kopite

PostPosted by Dactylartha » Wed Aug 07, 2013 01:57

kopite wrote:
Tub wrote:There's a theory that the entire storyline of ASOIAF is based off of Norse mythology, so it's pretty cool that that's in there. :D

that theory is wrong

I don't recall dragons, imminent end of days, or ancient begrudged quasi-humans in my lessons of the Yorks and Lancasters. Maybe I missed that day mid-semester.
Dactylartha

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 02:14

kopite wrote:

that theory is wrong

Red Rose vs White Rose (I can't remember which is York/Lancaster) translates into Targaryen vs Baratheon (Baratheons are a branch house of the Targaryens obviously) or you could look at the Lannisters (red) fighting the Starks (white).

That is only a singular basis that does not cover every single thing taking place. Which is probably where your misunderstanding comes from. Just because the series is based off of the war of the roses does not mean that it cannot be based off of anything else.

Although in this case, yes that theory is a bit shit.
LancelotLoire

Return to Story and Lore