The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Shaggydog » Sun Sep 01, 2013 05:36

During their brief battle during the Hand's Tourney it seemed Sandor was able to keep Gregor at bay fairly easily. Unless franken-Gregor has somehow become a better swordsman minus his head(or at the very least, despirlte losing the brain poer required for speech and who knows what else) then I would definitely favour the Hound.

The potential for Gregor and Sandor to face off like that would definitely be tempting, and if the gravedigger truly is Sandor then I suspect that they will definitely meet once more before the series is through.
Shaggydog

PostPosted by Ivir Baggins » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:22

Dreakonic wrote:
Notalent wrote:
Dreakonic wrote:Out of all the unrealistic possibilities that could happen in the series, you guys still refuse to even acknowledge the possibility that Sandor wants to live out the rest of his days in peace. Aside from this, you guys seem to think everyone is omnipresent and know everything about everything. How many people know if Sandor's alive? (1? 2?) Who is going to spill the beans? A priest that has no reason to? How many people know that Robert Strong is Gregor's corpse. Two (Cersei and Qyburn) and they would only say anything if it was under torture. Sandor will not be involved in the ASOIAF anymore, he has played his part and he is done killing.

GRRM has already confirmed Sandor's role in the story isn't over, hes really fond of the character and wants to keep writing him.

Even so, he won't be fighting RObert Strong, I can guarantee you that. Mark my words.

My bet is that it'll be Lancel versus Strong.
Ivir Baggins

PostPosted by Reaper » Mon Sep 02, 2013 05:40

Now why would they put Lancel Lannister up against Ser Robert Strong... They were afraid to send Lancel to stop The Hound, and The Hound is one of the few people that could take Gregor on in a fight.
Reaper

PostPosted by Ivir Baggins » Mon Sep 02, 2013 09:40

Reaper wrote:Now why would they put Lancel Lannister up against Ser Robert Strong... They were afraid to send Lancel to stop The Hound, and The Hound is one of the few people that could take Gregor on in a fight.

He'd be the champion of the Faith, seeing as he is part of the Warrior's Sons.
Ivir Baggins

PostPosted by Syn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 16:57

Ivir Baggins wrote:
Reaper wrote:Now why would they put Lancel Lannister up against Ser Robert Strong... They were afraid to send Lancel to stop The Hound, and The Hound is one of the few people that could take Gregor on in a fight.

He'd be the champion of the Faith, seeing as he is part of the Warrior's Sons.

The High Sparrow is much more intelligent than that.

He would choose the person who has the best chance of winning.
Syn

PostPosted by Redcastle » Mon Sep 02, 2013 18:39

Which could be Bronn. If he gets paid enough.
Bronn might not have the same strenght as the Hound but he's fast and a smart fighter.
Redcastle

PostPosted by Syn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 21:51

Redcastle wrote:Which could be Bronn. If he gets paid enough.
Bronn might not have the same strenght as the Hound but he's fast and a smart fighter.

Nah. The High Sparrow is too pious to hire a mercenary like Bronn.

Sandor would make sense, if he wasn't still injured/maimed. I'm really not sure who he will use. There aren't really any elite fighters available, to be honest.
Syn

PostPosted by Notalent » Tue Sep 03, 2013 09:26

Syn wrote:

Sandor would make sense, if he wasn't still injured/maimed. I'm really not sure who he will use. There aren't really any elite fighters available, to be honest.

Garlan Tyrell would make an interesting choice, hes fairly pious and devout, the Lannisters have offended...and are likely to continue offending the Tyrells now that Cersei is back in charge.
Notalent

PostPosted by Syn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 20:08

Notalent wrote:
Syn wrote:

Garlan Tyrell would make an interesting choice, hes fairly pious and devout, the Lannisters have offended...and are likely to continue offending the Tyrells now that Cersei is back in charge.

He would be the first choice for me as well.

Unfortunately, he's busy in the south leading the Reach's armies against the Ironborn.
Syn

PostPosted by jak9090 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 20:57

Notalent wrote:
Syn wrote:

what book u reading last i checked cersei humilated and stripped of all governmental authority.
jak9090

PostPosted by Notalent » Fri Sep 20, 2013 23:42

jak9090 wrote:
Notalent wrote:Garlan Tyrell would make an interesting choice, hes fairly pious and devout, the Lannisters have offended...and are likely to continue offending the Tyrells now that Cersei is back in charge.

what book u reading last i checked cersei humilated and stripped of all governmental authority.

Dance with Dragons, Epilogue:

Spoiler: show
Varys killing both Maester Pycelle and Kevan Lannister to put Cersei back in charge and fan her suspicions that the Tyrells were behind it so that she would cripple the Lannister-Tyrell alliance.
Notalent

PostPosted by jak9090 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 15:30

he didnt really say he was gonna put cersei back in power, just that kevin was going to undo all her "sabotage"
jak9090

PostPosted by Notalent » Mon Sep 23, 2013 02:42

jak9090 wrote:he didnt really say he was gonna put cersei back in power, just that kevin was going to undo all her "sabotage"

Varys says hes sure this will destroy the alliance and that Cersei will believe this was the Tyrell's doing.. Also, Kevan was regent, without him power defaults back to the King and since the king is under age power then further defaults to his mother until he is of age and can rule for himself.
Notalent

PostPosted by jak9090 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 09:51

we'll see but just due to cersei's situation i doubt that will happen.
jak9090

PostPosted by AdanRyder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 05:19

jak9090 wrote:we'll see but just due to cersei's situation i doubt that will happen.

Considering she has Robert Strong and Qyburn, as well as being batshit crazy and just going to get crazier, she likely will take power back. I'm betting on a Mad Queen situation once the trials happen.
AdanRyder

PostPosted by McBeanie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 21:44

Notalent wrote:GRRM has already confirmed Sandor's role in the story isn't over, hes really fond of the character and wants to keep writing him.

Really? Do you have a link to the source?
McBeanie

PostPosted by Syn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 03:08

Notalent wrote:
jak9090 wrote:he didnt really say he was gonna put cersei back in power, just that kevin was going to undo all her "sabotage"

Varys says hes sure this will destroy the alliance and that Cersei will believe this was the Tyrell's doing.. Also, Kevan was regent, without him power defaults back to the King and since the king is under age power then further defaults to his mother until he is of age and can rule for himself.

Yes indeed. Kevan was a very skilled Regent, and would have strengthened the Iron Throne greatly...were he allowed to live.

Varys is in place to sow as much discord as possible, so that Aegon's army will encounter as little resistance as possible.

GRRM has already confirmed Sandor's role in the story isn't over, hes really fond of the character and wants to keep writing him.

I saw that somewhere as well, but I can't seem to find it now.
Syn

PostPosted by Notalent » Wed Oct 02, 2013 05:02

McBeanie wrote:
Notalent wrote:GRRM has already confirmed Sandor's role in the story isn't over, hes really fond of the character and wants to keep writing him.

Really? Do you have a link to the source?

I'm 90% sure he said it at a book signing for Dance with Dragons while taking questions (as he usually does). I can't find it anywhere anymore but that's probably because the article would be two-ish years old by now.
Notalent

Previous

Return to Story and Lore