The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Tub » Tue Jul 30, 2013 18:44

I just read the theory linking Sandor Clegane to the lame gravedigger who loves dogs on the Quiet Isle. It just strikes me as a likely location for Clegane, especially given the Elder Brother's story about washing up on the shores of the Quiet Isle and recuperating. I just wanted to hear about any opinions on it - it especially seems to fit in nicely with the theory that during Cersei's trial by battle, the reanimated corpse of Ser Gregor will go up against an opponent that is drawn from within the ranks of the Faith - it just seems to good an opportunity for his younger brother to miss.
Tub
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 10:49

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Wed Jul 31, 2013 00:13

What about the burned face?
User avatar
LancelotLoire
 
Posts: 2707
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 16:32

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Syn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 01:22

LancelotLoire wrote:What about the burned face?

I don't believe they ever see his face.

It's Sandor, there are tons of clues connecting them. Chief among them is Stranger, Sandor's horse, living on the Quiet Isle. Clegane was the only one that could control the horse. Also, the gravedigger had a wound that matched the one Sandor received when he and Arya killed Gregor's men.
User avatar
Syn
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Dactylartha » Wed Jul 31, 2013 05:40

Also, the dog that was traveling with the priest warmed up to the giant cowled brother instantly.
Dactylartha
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 07:44

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Syn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 07:39

I do hope it is really him, and he returns in some capacity.

Could you imagine Sandor Clegane wielding Valyrian steel? I'd pick him over virtually anyone, easily.

Even Jaime is afraid of his speed and strength. A Valyrian blade would only amplify those traits.
User avatar
Syn
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Dreakonic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:50

Tub wrote:I just read the theory linking Sandor Clegane to the lame gravedigger who loves dogs on the Quiet Isle. It just strikes me as a likely location for Clegane, especially given the Elder Brother's story about washing up on the shores of the Quiet Isle and recuperating. I just wanted to hear about any opinions on it - it especially seems to fit in nicely with the theory that during Cersei's trial by battle, the reanimated corpse of Ser Gregor will go up against an opponent that is drawn from within the ranks of the Faith - it just seems to good an opportunity for his younger brother to miss.


Sandor seems to be changing so I think he just wants to live out the rest of his days in peace instead of going to the capital where he's not only a wanted man but also (he and everyone else in the world) thinks Gregor is dead. Even if he somehow heard Robert Strong was actually Gregor (I'm guessing only Cersei and Qyburn know about this, if it's true), you mentioned he was 'lame', so I don't get why he would even attempt to go to a place people where he would be executed on sight just to fight a man that may be his brother's corpse while handicapped.
Dreakonic
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 07:44

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by jbutton169 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 17:48

Dreakonic wrote:
Tub wrote:I just read the theory linking Sandor Clegane to the lame gravedigger who loves dogs on the Quiet Isle. It just strikes me as a likely location for Clegane, especially given the Elder Brother's story about washing up on the shores of the Quiet Isle and recuperating. I just wanted to hear about any opinions on it - it especially seems to fit in nicely with the theory that during Cersei's trial by battle, the reanimated corpse of Ser Gregor will go up against an opponent that is drawn from within the ranks of the Faith - it just seems to good an opportunity for his younger brother to miss.


Sandor seems to be changing so I think he just wants to live out the rest of his days in peace instead of going to the capital where he's not only a wanted man but also (he and everyone else in the world) thinks Gregor is dead. Even if he somehow heard Robert Strong was actually Gregor (I'm guessing only Cersei and Qyburn know about this, if it's true), you mentioned he was 'lame', so I don't get why he would even attempt to go to a place people where he would be executed on sight just to fight a man that may be his brother's corpse while handicapped.


Sandor Clegane may be the faiths champion in Cersei's trial. The HS may get his wanted status removed because he is wanted for raiding places he did not raid. When he was appointed to the Kingsguard I am not sure if he even swore the vows.
jbutton169
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 13:11

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by EDAP » Tue Aug 06, 2013 18:00

Are you confusing Gregor Clegane (The Mountain that Rides) with his brother Sandor, The Hound.
Spoiler: show
It is generally agreed that Gregor is Ser Robert the Strong, not Sandor what with Sandor being significantly smaller that his brother
Here is a link to my personal list of FAQs. Please check there to see if it answers you question. The specific details aren't up to date, and I probably won't update it for a while, but the general ideas are unchanged.
EDAP
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 15:15

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Ivir Baggins » Tue Aug 06, 2013 18:30

jbutton169 wrote:
Dreakonic wrote:
Tub wrote:I just read the theory linking Sandor Clegane to the lame gravedigger who loves dogs on the Quiet Isle. It just strikes me as a likely location for Clegane, especially given the Elder Brother's story about washing up on the shores of the Quiet Isle and recuperating. I just wanted to hear about any opinions on it - it especially seems to fit in nicely with the theory that during Cersei's trial by battle, the reanimated corpse of Ser Gregor will go up against an opponent that is drawn from within the ranks of the Faith - it just seems to good an opportunity for his younger brother to miss.


Sandor seems to be changing so I think he just wants to live out the rest of his days in peace instead of going to the capital where he's not only a wanted man but also (he and everyone else in the world) thinks Gregor is dead. Even if he somehow heard Robert Strong was actually Gregor (I'm guessing only Cersei and Qyburn know about this, if it's true), you mentioned he was 'lame', so I don't get why he would even attempt to go to a place people where he would be executed on sight just to fight a man that may be his brother's corpse while handicapped.


Sandor Clegane may be the faiths champion in Cersei's trial. The HS may get his wanted status removed because he is wanted for raiding places he did not raid. When he was appointed to the Kingsguard I am not sure if he even swore the vows.


I never actually considered that option, but now that you mention it, it might possibly work.
Ivir Baggins
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 21:52

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Dreakonic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 18:50

jbutton169 wrote:
Dreakonic wrote:
Tub wrote:I just read the theory linking Sandor Clegane to the lame gravedigger who loves dogs on the Quiet Isle. It just strikes me as a likely location for Clegane, especially given the Elder Brother's story about washing up on the shores of the Quiet Isle and recuperating. I just wanted to hear about any opinions on it - it especially seems to fit in nicely with the theory that during Cersei's trial by battle, the reanimated corpse of Ser Gregor will go up against an opponent that is drawn from within the ranks of the Faith - it just seems to good an opportunity for his younger brother to miss.


Sandor seems to be changing so I think he just wants to live out the rest of his days in peace instead of going to the capital where he's not only a wanted man but also (he and everyone else in the world) thinks Gregor is dead. Even if he somehow heard Robert Strong was actually Gregor (I'm guessing only Cersei and Qyburn know about this, if it's true), you mentioned he was 'lame', so I don't get why he would even attempt to go to a place people where he would be executed on sight just to fight a man that may be his brother's corpse while handicapped.


Sandor Clegane may be the faiths champion in Cersei's trial. The HS may get his wanted status removed because he is wanted for raiding places he did not raid. When he was appointed to the Kingsguard I am not sure if he even swore the vows.


Yeah but like I said, Sandor is lame and he may have changed personality-wise. Pay attention to both of these facts. A lame swordsman doesn't work well against a guy that's like seven-foot tall as movement is the most important thing when facing bigger guys. Not to say Sandor is weak or small but it when you face a bigger opponent movement is a must-have. He can take on Gregor on blow-by-blow but that lame leg will be a serious disadvantage.

I think the priest mentioned something like that Sandor is dead, in his own cryptic words probably meaning that he has changed.

Also, Sandor is a gravedigger. If the Faith manages to dig up Sandor's identity (which I happen to think is VERY closely guarded), why the hell would you go for Sandor? He's wanted and he has a lot of atoning to do. Being a gravedigger doesn't make up for the shit he did and I don't see the Faith looking the other way for the crimes he did just for a chance of beating Robert Strong.

Let me summarize why I don't think Sandor will be involved in the story.
1)he's lame
2)he's dead (see: changed)
3)as far as everyone is concerned, Sandor is dead
4)as far as Sandor is concerned, Gregor Clegane is dead
5)faith won't gamble on a lame gravedigger that may be Sandor and still has a lot to condone for
Dreakonic
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 07:44

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Wed Aug 07, 2013 02:19

Upholding the faith by being the churches champion is a very high level of atonement.
User avatar
LancelotLoire
 
Posts: 2707
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 16:32

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Syn » Wed Aug 07, 2013 06:32

As long as he isn't permanently injured, and has time to heal.

Sandor Clegane would slaughter his brother under normal circumstances. Just as strong, and twice as fast.
User avatar
Syn
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Notalent » Wed Aug 07, 2013 07:39

Syn wrote:As long as he isn't permanently injured, and has time to heal.

Sandor Clegane would slaughter his brother under normal circumstances. Just as strong, and twice as fast.

Sandor isn't just as Strong, hes about on par with the Great Jon or Robert in his prime, whereas no one has ever seen a monster like Gregor before. Its also an odd match up for him because he uses a normal 1 handed sword and shield, whereas Gregor wields a greatsword as if it was a one hander and a shield.

I think that Oberyn had it right, you have to use a spear against him to equalize the reach issue. You can't really block him with a shield because Gregor's strong enough and his weapon heavy enough that he will just hew your shield in half over time, hes also just fast enough that while you CAN dodge him, you can't quite close the gap. Really, his only edge is his brain, Sandor is clearly the smarter brother but is that enough to overcome the mountain?
Notalent
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 08:23

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Dreakonic » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:08

Out of all the unrealistic possibilities that could happen in the series, you guys still refuse to even acknowledge the possibility that Sandor wants to live out the rest of his days in peace. Aside from this, you guys seem to think everyone is omnipresent and know everything about everything. How many people know if Sandor's alive? (1? 2?) Who is going to spill the beans? A priest that has no reason to? How many people know that Robert Strong is Gregor's corpse. Two (Cersei and Qyburn) and they would only say anything if it was under torture. Sandor will not be involved in the ASOIAF anymore, he has played his part and he is done killing.
Dreakonic
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 07:44

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Notalent » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:29

Dreakonic wrote:Out of all the unrealistic possibilities that could happen in the series, you guys still refuse to even acknowledge the possibility that Sandor wants to live out the rest of his days in peace. Aside from this, you guys seem to think everyone is omnipresent and know everything about everything. How many people know if Sandor's alive? (1? 2?) Who is going to spill the beans? A priest that has no reason to? How many people know that Robert Strong is Gregor's corpse. Two (Cersei and Qyburn) and they would only say anything if it was under torture. Sandor will not be involved in the ASOIAF anymore, he has played his part and he is done killing.

GRRM has already confirmed Sandor's role in the story isn't over, hes really fond of the character and wants to keep writing him.
Notalent
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 08:23

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Dreakonic » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:38

Notalent wrote:
Dreakonic wrote:Out of all the unrealistic possibilities that could happen in the series, you guys still refuse to even acknowledge the possibility that Sandor wants to live out the rest of his days in peace. Aside from this, you guys seem to think everyone is omnipresent and know everything about everything. How many people know if Sandor's alive? (1? 2?) Who is going to spill the beans? A priest that has no reason to? How many people know that Robert Strong is Gregor's corpse. Two (Cersei and Qyburn) and they would only say anything if it was under torture. Sandor will not be involved in the ASOIAF anymore, he has played his part and he is done killing.

GRRM has already confirmed Sandor's role in the story isn't over, hes really fond of the character and wants to keep writing him.


Even so, he won't be fighting RObert Strong, I can guarantee you that. Mark my words.
Dreakonic
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 07:44

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Notalent » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:40

Dreakonic wrote:
Notalent wrote:
Dreakonic wrote:Out of all the unrealistic possibilities that could happen in the series, you guys still refuse to even acknowledge the possibility that Sandor wants to live out the rest of his days in peace. Aside from this, you guys seem to think everyone is omnipresent and know everything about everything. How many people know if Sandor's alive? (1? 2?) Who is going to spill the beans? A priest that has no reason to? How many people know that Robert Strong is Gregor's corpse. Two (Cersei and Qyburn) and they would only say anything if it was under torture. Sandor will not be involved in the ASOIAF anymore, he has played his part and he is done killing.

GRRM has already confirmed Sandor's role in the story isn't over, hes really fond of the character and wants to keep writing him.


Even so, he won't be fighting RObert Strong, I can guarantee you that. Mark my words.

Oh I agree...well...unless its the very end of his story and happens in A dream of Spring.


Clarification, he will not be the faiths Champion in trial by combat...but I could see him finally destroying Robert Strong during the end game of the series.
Notalent
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 08:23

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Syn » Wed Aug 07, 2013 20:28

Sandor isn't just as Strong, hes about on par with the Great Jon or Robert in his prime, whereas no one has ever seen a monster like Gregor before. Its also an odd match up for him because he uses a normal 1 handed sword and shield, whereas Gregor wields a greatsword as if it was a one hander and a shield.

I can't remember when it was exactly, but I remember Jaime thinking about the people that could potentially defeat him in combat. He names Gregor Clegane, because of how large and powerful he is...which is understandable, the man is a monster. However, once he names Sandor Clegane, he notes that while he's met people stronger than him, he's never fought someone that was both stronger and as fast as him.

Anyone that worries Jaime so much is notable in my opinion. While I completely understand your point, it's tough for me to go against Sandor with anyone, even the Mountain. Oberyn Martell was much smaller than Gregor...this size disadvantage is mitigated somewhat because of Sandor's own immense size and strength. But, as Jaime realizes, it's not Sandor's strength or size that makes him so dangerous...it is that he's as fast and agile as a man half his size. Put it all together, and you have the perfect killing machine. The fight would be long and brutal no doubt, but I think the Hound's speed gives him the advantage, while Gregor's usual advantage of strength and size is mitigated by his younger brother's.
User avatar
Syn
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by Dreakonic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 15:08

Syn wrote:
Sandor isn't just as Strong, hes about on par with the Great Jon or Robert in his prime, whereas no one has ever seen a monster like Gregor before. Its also an odd match up for him because he uses a normal 1 handed sword and shield, whereas Gregor wields a greatsword as if it was a one hander and a shield.

I can't remember when it was exactly, but I remember Jaime thinking about the people that could potentially defeat him in combat. He names Gregor Clegane, because of how large and powerful he is...which is understandable, the man is a monster. However, once he names Sandor Clegane, he notes that while he's met people stronger than him, he's never fought someone that was both stronger and as fast as him.

Anyone that worries Jaime so much is notable in my opinion. While I completely understand your point, it's tough for me to go against Sandor with anyone, even the Mountain. Oberyn Martell was much smaller than Gregor...this size disadvantage is mitigated somewhat because of Sandor's own immense size and strength. But, as Jaime realizes, it's not Sandor's strength or size that makes him so dangerous...it is that he's as fast and agile as a man half his size. Put it all together, and you have the perfect killing machine. The fight would be long and brutal no doubt, but I think the Hound's speed gives him the advantage, while Gregor's usual advantage of strength and size is mitigated by his younger brother's.


Gregor wouldn't even stand a chance. We're just not talking about speed (Sandor is apparently just as fast as Jaime who is pretty fast) and strength but skill with a sword. He would be able to stand his ground against Gregor, outspeed him and if he's as half as good with a sword as Jaime he would outmaneuver the man as if he was a sparring doll. It wouldn't even be a fight tbh. Hell, even Brienne might stand a chance against him.
Dreakonic
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 07:44

Re: The Fate of Sandor Clegane? [SPOILERS]

PostPosted by KnightKing » Thu Aug 08, 2013 18:45

Have them fight with the duel engine, just to see who would win?
User avatar
KnightKing
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 18:12

Next

Return to Story and Lore

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests