does your blood run red or black?

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Re: does your blood run red or black?

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Sun Aug 11, 2013 07:40

How I see it... He was male, the first born son of Rhaenyra while his uncle Aegon II had no sons to succeed him. Basically making him the best choice to unite both sides in the civil war again.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Notalent » Sun Aug 11, 2013 08:46

Bardo wrote:
Notalent wrote:Rhaenyra did NOT win the war. She was defeated and eaten by Aegon II's dragon, her son however carried on the war and won.

Stannis actually uses her as an example of what happens to traitors in A Storm of Swords.

Interestingly enough, Since Aegon II had no heir, Aegon the III was the next in line of succession. Meaning the laws of succession were upheld by traditional standards and Viserys wishes WERE disregarded.

I sense a lot of plot behind the succession, but truly, when a realm comes out of turmoil, they want any exit that could ease the struggle for both sides.
Maybe Aegon III was a suitable choice for such purpose to the rest of his relatives and the small council.

Considering that Aegon III married Aegon II's daughter I'm sure there was something of a plot to unify the kingdom. However, even that clearly shows that the kings will did not trump succession. I highly doubt Aegon II would have wanted his rebellous nephew to rule over his own daughter. Yet regardless of his will, the eldest male heir was crowned.
Notalent

PostPosted by Bardo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 17:45

I believe the only thing we know about Aegon III's father is that he was a Targaryen, which might also have affected the succession, as we don't know who he was, we can't really know how strong his son's claim was entirely. But then, if the skipped the king's daughter to crown his son, they might as well keep the agnatic succession. I mean, Aegon II fought to validate his succession, which might have disqualified his own daughter if he used the "Only males can inherit" excuse. Maybe the crown has agnatic-primogeniture since then :O
Bardo

PostPosted by Maartens » Thu Nov 28, 2013 17:17

If I was a powerful man in westerns I'd pick black everything time but say I was a small lord I'd have to go for red as "Family before everything" and my titles, so ya I'd play it safe
If Aegon the Conqueror can do, So can we. - Willie Stroker Of House Takeashita
Maartens

PostPosted by Maartens » Thu Nov 28, 2013 17:29

But daemon is prolly my favourite char of the series him and Arthur Dayne even though we've never have a pov of them cus dey ded
If Aegon the Conqueror can do, So can we. - Willie Stroker Of House Takeashita
Maartens

PostPosted by MBjarno » Thu Nov 28, 2013 18:43

I suppose I would be a loyalist. If I was sworn to the Targaryens, I had to go for them. There is no legitimate proof of him being a bastard, so I would stay true to my king I suppose. (It is also playing it safe)
MBjarno

PostPosted by SerBrightflame » Wed Dec 11, 2013 13:28

Fire and blood! Daemon would be a much better king, but Daeron is the rightful heir. God Save the King!
SerBrightflame

PostPosted by jtjh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 21:57

if i was a lord in westeros i would have supported the blackfyres

the king gave him his sword why else would he if not to rule
jtjh

PostPosted by Nightsking » Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:38

Team White! Bloodraven for the throne!
"I understand hate well enough."
Nightsking

PostPosted by Robb Stark » Mon Feb 17, 2014 01:49

Loyalist all the way, The Hammer and Anvil. ;)
“The winters are hard, but the Starks will endure. We always have.” – Eddard Stark
Robb Stark

PostPosted by 1isaac1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 14:29

black!!!
1isaac1

PostPosted by Gurkhal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 21:25

It would be red because I would support the Lannisters and so by extension I would be on the Targaryen side of things.
Gurkhal

PostPosted by Snake » Thu Feb 27, 2014 13:12

Black. Mostly because their story just seems to badass and like they are the underdogs. Bastard son is legitimized, given the ancestral sword, and basically proclaimed the rightful heir. Killed in epic battle by his own brother. His descendants continue to plot taking the throne for the next hundred years. I mean Aegon is 100% Blackfyre and although I envision he is going to be given some major character flaws and eventually dragon duel Dany and get massacred, hes still who I am rooting for.
Snake

PostPosted by Andre Massena » Sun Mar 02, 2014 05:34

I'd have to go red because he still has the better claim. I'd go black if I had something too gain, though (like the Osgreys)

How about black or green? I think in a vacuum I'd say Rhaenyra but it would be tough to stay on her side after a while. Daemon was a beast, though :mrgreen:
Andre Massena

Previous

Return to Story and Lore