[submod] Sorcery Mod --- (DEV, NEW INFO)

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

Re: [submod] Sorcery Mod --- (IN DEV NEW SPELLS)

PostPosted by blueman » Wed Jun 15, 2016 19:56

Sounds good what you're thinking, dragon binding spells would be cool, maybe linked to the horn Dragonbinder (if it even works), that it is possible to go search for it or something.
blueman

PostPosted by Widowmaker94 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 00:42

Wildfire is a liquid fire type thing. Perhaps Fire Wizards could also manipulate that?

Make something like Wizard's Fire from SoT?
http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Wizard%27s_fire
Widowmaker94

PostPosted by pietrko » Fri Jun 17, 2016 15:09

Another event image painted by hand of mine:

Hot or not?
pietrko

PostPosted by Payuset » Fri Jun 17, 2016 16:50

pietrko wrote:Another event image painted by hand of mine:

Hot or not?

just me or does he look like he caught a fist to the eye?
Payuset

PostPosted by pietrko » Fri Jun 17, 2016 18:28

Payuset wrote:
pietrko wrote:Another event image painted by hand of mine:
Hot or not?

just me or does he look like he caught a fist to the eye?

fixed
pietrko

PostPosted by Darkfyre » Sat Jun 18, 2016 13:06

Any ETA on release?
Darkfyre

PostPosted by pietrko » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:37

Darkfyre wrote:Any ETA on release?

No
pietrko

PostPosted by pietrko » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:42

To literature lovers: To your knowledget, are there any recent unexplored GRRM resources that would aid me with design of new spells? Any new books comming?

I kinda struggle with design of some viable (lorewise) battle spell.

Regards,
Pietrko
pietrko

PostPosted by isa0005 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 15:03

pietrko wrote:

No

Check these out:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Magic

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Magic

On another note, magic to me seems quite subtle in Game of Thrones, so maybe look to other sources who's use of magic is similarly sparse for example Lord of the Rings.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Magic
Check out my little CoA mod, http://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic5678.html "Targayen Cadet CoA Remake and More!" Enjoy the Dragons!
isa0005

PostPosted by pietrko » Tue Jun 21, 2016 16:40

isa0005 wrote:
pietrko wrote:

No

Check these out:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Magic

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Magic

On another note, magic to me seems quite subtle in Game of Thrones, so maybe look to other sources who's use of magic is similarly sparse for example Lord of the Rings.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Magic

I know all about those already :D
pietrko

PostPosted by Payuset » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:52

you might want to check the magic of Conan the barbarian, it has similarities with the magic in ASOIAF, and while there are spells that are flashy, it has to be remembered that, magic in ASOIAF is supposedly "dead", so it stands to reason that when magic was "alive" it had more variety and "flashiness", so you could subtle spells for when there is no age of dragons and the flashier and bigger spells could only be activated during an Age of dragons.
Payuset

PostPosted by pietrko » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:21

Already thought about that - since there are no flashy spells (yet) in the new version each is enabled. However magic has very high failure rate in no dragon era or outside Essos or without proper sacrifice.

Will check this Connan stuff.

I've implmented shadow assasin spell for shadowbinders magic. You need to learn it from shadowbinder first.
Basically its the same stuff that is already in the mod with exception you're the magical side and the woman can be any courtier.
pietrko

PostPosted by Payuset » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:52

what i maent by the Age of dragons comment is that if you limit a spell to only on "high magic era" you have a bit of freedom on what you can do.

examples:
-raising an undead army, not happening, but back on the days of the valyrian dragonlords? hell i can imagine them doing so, after all they had the fleshpits of gogossos where half-men (half animal) where breeded, so undead legions isnt that much of a stretch of the imagination.

-Giga spell of Doom and utter Annihilation, again not happening, but well the Doom of valyria happened for a reason right? maybe it was a mage who overstimated what magic could do.

-Conjure storm/storm call/lightning strike/however you may want to call it... again in "actual" times probably not, but a mage of old conjuring up a storm and raining lightning upon his foes? again not much of a stretch.

-magic swords & others, there arent any "new" magic items known, and the ones that exist are old. so if you want to add a way to forge magic items, well why not? they were created by people who knew how, so its not that weird to have a sorceror forge a new one, specially if he has a dragon at hand (dragons do seem to be magic batteries).

So you can do pretty much whatever you want, and even if it is a bit outside of what GRRM has/will write it doesnt mean that it is completely "unrealistic" once magic is "reborn"

and if you do go way overboard with something, you can always edit it later so it "fits" as i am sure people would surely help on that, even if its only telling you that that one spell is a no-go, or that there is a "gap" between two spells that you could fill with this other spell.
what i am trying to say is, if you post a list with what you have, and what you are "missing" it will be easier to know what kind of suggestions are the most helpful.

and if you could edit the first post to make clearer what will be in the new mod it would be really helpful. And everything that is a remnant of the old one you can just "hide it" inside a big spoiler tag at the end, for "historical" purposes.

anyways great job, things are looking good.
if you find any of what i've said distasteful, do tell, (i am in an angry mood right now, and i know you are not to blame, so if it shows i will edit it at another time)
Payuset

Re: [submod] Sorcery Mod --- (DEV, NEW INFO)

PostPosted by pietrko » Wed Jun 22, 2016 13:39

Thank for explanation I've uptaded the first page:
This would be most powerfull blood magic/shadowmagic (those are connected).

Name: Curse of the Shadow
Effect: Spreads a disease that kills livestock, plants and children in the province. Basically total anihilation spell that makes second stygai out of the province. Lasts few years (forever??).

What is needed
Localisation, idea for nice name, flavour, effects. Should it spread on other provinces?
Nice event picture
What do you think about it?

Dragonglass Candles
Ideas for obtaining them
- Already can be bought from the merchant vie mtth event.
Other legitimate? How much should it cost?
pietrko

PostPosted by Kironos » Sat Jun 25, 2016 15:14

"Fire consumes, but cold preserves"

In my opinion, that little bit of info Aemon gave us should be the main rule regarding Fire (Valyrian/Rhllor) and Ice (Others) magic.

General Ideas: Magic Knowledge and Valyrian candles
Spoiler: show
Valyrian candles:
"All Valyrian magic was rooted in blood and fire. It is said that they could set dragonglass candles to burning with strange, unpleasantly-bright light. With the obsidian candles, they could see across vast distances, look into a man's mind, and speak with one another though they were half the world apart."

They are not supposed to work during Weak Magic eras, and maybe this should reflect on the price/difficulty to find them. People will be much more willing to sell something useless, and that makes staring into it just a waste of time, than a magic candle that actually lets you see the future. Still, make the price along the lines of 1000 gold during Weak Magic eras. Working or not, they are still Valyrian relics after all.
Either way, here's the suggestion I posted in the AGOT's Paradox forum some time ago:

"As long as there are living dragons roaming around the world, a practitioner of the Valyrian religion with high learning can look into the glass candles as a way of keeping him/herself safe from plots. Maybe there could be a building related to the candles themselves, so the player has to build it in order to have access to them, like the Observatory from the Scholar WoL, but with an actual use for it, like the Alchemist's Guild.

-Critical Success: Your grasp on the unknown is unparalleled and you see glimpses of your own future greatness. Chance to get Ambitious trait, some prestige and maybe a very small chance of getting a Valyrian Steel sword/Dragon Egg/Artifact, as in the candles directed you to where they were hidden.

-Success: Now you can predict all your enemies' moves, and this keeps you safe from plots OR battle in the same way Rhllor currently does. A chance to get the Zealous trait. (Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen).

-Failure: You see nothing, no matter how hard you try. This could give you either the Cynical trait ("Magic is truly gone from the world") or Stressed (as in the character spent a LONG amount of time trying to make it work, like the Maesters at the Citadel.)

-Critical Failure: You see vague, disturbing images of suffering and pain, you don't know if you can trust anyone anymore. Chance to get Lunatic and/or Paranoid."

Adding to that, I propose allowing the player to MAKE others turn Lunatic/Stressed. I mean, looking into other peoples minds and speaking to them from across the world can surely end up screwing with their minds, specially when they don't know the origin of the voices they hear inside their head.

Mystic trait: the original mod often uses this trait to represent any historical character that messed with the occult so how about making use of it with the "gathering magic knowledge" part of this mod? I mean, the WoL Learning tree that leads to your character being a Mystic only gives you the Necronomicon modifier and a very clear possibility of becoming a Lunatic along the way. So, with that in mind, how about making it so Mystic characters have a higher chance of triggering all magic related events? I mean, the very trait represents their willingness to seek all that shady stuff.

Magic Knowledge: I totally agree with your original idea of making it a trait/modifier, but how about making it... acquirable from people who already have it? Euron captured three Qartheen Warlocks and tortured them until he learned most of their secrets, while Maester Marwyn the Mage traveled the whole world to learn what he knows. Maybe if you get lucky and get a Maester with the Valyrian Steel chain, you can convince him to share some of it's secrets with you? Point being, my idea is allowing players to get Magic Knowledge by those three ways: torture, apprenticeship and/or delving into the unknown by themselves.

I think there should be a few spells available to everyone, but I suggest making each religion have it's own spells.

Fire/Shadow Magic
(Asshai, Rhllor and Valyrian)

Weak World Magic (no dragons)
Curse of the Shadow: maybe, instead of a spell focused towards cursing an entire province, this could target a single character. Let's say, there's this guy called Maegor that you really hate because he executed your entire family for rebelling against him. So you gather enough Magic Credits™ and cast this spell on him. From that day forward, he has a very high chance of fathering children with all kinds of bad congenital traits, some of the even possibly being born like Dany's Rhaego.

Strong World Magic (there are dragons roaming the world)
Apart from their candles, the basic Rhllor spells and the ones that are already in the mod, I can't think of anything else regarding the Valyrians. However, how about adding relics? From Dragonbinder (that could let you capture a dragon in battle if the enemy uses the Field of Fire decision against you), Candles and Valyrian Armour (should be the rarest thing ever, more than V. Swords, should be on par with Dragon Eggs), there could be lots of nice events regarding exploring the Valyrian ruins.

Cold/Cthulhesque Magic
(Others)

Nercomancy: I believe the knowledge to raise wights should be EXTREMELY limited. The WoiaF wiki lists only three people as necromancers, so maybe this should be the ultimate goal of someone playing a "mage" character. If you get all the Magic Knowledge necessary and have enough Magic Credits from sacrificing people, you could have an ATTEMPT at the ritual of raising the dead. There should be a clear chance of failure, and killing yourself and part of your family like Egg's attempt at hatching dragons in Summerhall. But if you succeed... well, this was the first necromancer of legend:

"The Bloodstone Emperor was a the legendary ninth and last ruler of the mythic Great Empire of the Dawn. He was the son of the Opal Emperor and the younger brother of the Amethyst Empress, who succeeded their father. Envious, he slew his sister and proclaimed himself the Bloodstone Emperor.

His was a reign of terror. The Bloodstone Emperor not only practiced torture, but also dark arts, necromancy. He enslaved his own people, took a tiger-woman for wife, feasted on human flesh and cast down the true gods of Yi Ti, to worship a black stone that fell from the sky. The Blood Betrayal, as his usurpation is known is the annals of the Further East, ushered in the Long Night, in which the Maiden-Made-of-Light turned her back upon the world and the Lion of Night came forth in all his power to punish the wickedness of man.

He's believed by some scholars to have beeen the first High Priest of the sinister Church of Starry Wisdom."

Rhoynar (Mother Rhoyne and Water Magic)
"In the Second Spice War, the Rhoynish Prince Garin raised an army a quarter of a million strong to fight the Volantenes and Valyrians. So long as the army remained beside Mother Rhoyne, the prince declared, they need not fear the dragons of Valyria; their own water wizards would protect them from their fires. In the battle at Volon Therys, the water wizards raised enormous waterspouts against the Valyrians' three dragons, and the Rhoyne flooded the city. The Valyrians returned with 300 dragons, destroyed the Rhoynar army, captured Garin, and destroyed his city, Chroyane. The captive prince called down a curse, and that night the Rhoyne flooded out of season, with greater force than known in living memory. A fog fell upon the city, and the Valyrian conquerors began to die of greyscale. To this day, the ruins of Chroyane and that part of the river Rhoyne are known as the Sorrows, where the stone men live and travelers can still be infected with greyscale."

"Legend has said that the Rhoynar had their own magic — a water magic very different from the sorceries of Valyria, which were woven of blood and fire. It was said the Mother Rhoyne herself whispered to her children of every threat, that the Rhoynar princes wielded strange, uncanny powers, and that their cities were protected by "watery walls" that would rise to drown any foe."

Weak World Magic (no dragons)
Visions: Water magic seems to be a "moral" version of Fire Magic, so I think their spells should heavily based on Piety, so a more devout follower of Mother Rhoyne should have a greater chance of receiving those visions warning them if one of their Slow mayors is trying to assassinate their Strong, Genius and Attractive heir. Still, this shouldn't be tied to a Trait like Greensight and Dragon Dreams, but rather the religion, as the passage I took from WoiaF says.

Strong World Magic (there are dragons roaming the world)
The Great Flood: by calling for the aid of Mother Rhoyne, the player could utterly destroy and invading army besieging the castle he/she is currently in. This should be limited by counties that have the River terrain modifier, I think. But then again, as all magic in GRRM's world, there should be a LARGE chance of it affecting you as well (both with the flood and the possibility of Greyscale).

You, the people residing the castle, the invading army and their commanders, all should tremble before Mother Rhoyne's might.

Counter Field of Fire: maybe if the player gathers enough Magic Credits, he/she can stop a single Field of Fire from happening? I mean, it worked for Prince Garin.... until the Valyrians came with 300+ dragons, that is.

Qartheen Warlocks
"Though legend speaks of the mighty power of the warlocks, they have done little in the past century. Similarly to the Alchemists' Guild of the Seven Kingdoms, the warlocks' power and prestige have waned over the years. Their mighty House of the Undying is long since a grey stone ruin, neither repaired nor expanded upon, often referred to as the Palace of Dust. Even so, the warlocks are feared and respected throughout Essos and few return from their ruin.

In an effort to cure Samwell Tarly of his timidity, his father Lord Randyll Tarly once brought two warlocks from Qarth with white skin and blue lips to his castle at Horn Hill. The warlocks slaughtered a bull aurochs and made Sam bathe in the hot blood, but it did not make him brave as promised. Randyll had the warlocks scourged.

Archmaester Marwyn studied with warlocks."

They are the closest thing to mages in the World of Ice and Fire. However, due to the fact we know NOTHING about the specific kind of magic they use, maybe the Warlocks could be one of the main sources of Magic Knowledge in game? So the player has a reason to convert to their religion (if you take into account my previous suggestion on how to acquire Magic Knowledge)

As of now those are the only types of magic/spells I could come up with... seeing all information regarding the stuff is really scarce, and GRRM loves to keep it vague.
Last edited by Kironos on Sun Jun 26, 2016 02:01, edited 5 times in total.
Kironos

PostPosted by pietrko » Sun Jun 26, 2016 00:03

Great, waiting for the stuff - I'm playing the mod myself its kinda ok :)
pietrko

PostPosted by EDAP » Sun Jun 26, 2016 00:50

pietrko wrote: Dragonglass Candles
Ideas for obtaining them
- Already can be bought from the merchant vie mtth event.
Other legitimate? How much should it cost?

One suggestion - a longish event chaing based off of the Valyrian Steel quest where you go to Oldtown and attempt to steal one. For Eastern Characters the same, but maybe Valyria or Asshai?

Name: Curse of the Shadow
Effect: Spreads a disease that kills livestock, plants and children in the province. Basically total anihilation spell that makes second stygai out of the province. Lasts few years (forever??).

What is needed
Localisation, idea for nice name, flavour, effects. Should it spread on other provinces?
Nice event picture
What do you think about it?

It should spread to other provinces, but unintentionally - there should be a small chance that is spreads to a nearby province due to a mistake with the spell, and if it spreads to one province it rapidly spreads to other provinces.
Here is a link to my personal list of FAQs. Please check there to see if it answers you question. This is still largely up to date, and I will try and remember to update it when I find the time.
EDAP

PostPosted by Kironos » Sun Jun 26, 2016 01:22

Done, edited my original post to avoid double-posting, but by the time I was done... well

Either way, it's just a few posts back, what do you think?
Kironos

PostPosted by pietrko » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:27

Either way, it's just a few posts back, what do you think?

General Ideas: Magic Knowledge and Valyrian candles
Suggestions noted. Dragonglass candles already depend on dragons presence.
In order to use them you need to set them on fire first - this is possible only when magic is present.
You cant do anything when it isn't burning you have a decision - light dragonglass candle.

Mystic trait: Already taken into account.

Magic Knowledge:
Atm you can learn from courtiers possesing the knowledge (shadowbinders, red priests).
Or venturing into Assahi (home of all magic).

Atm you need the have the courtier with high enough opinion of you. I'll implement learning by force.
Good suggestion.

I think there should be a few spells available to everyone, but I suggest making each religion have it's own spells.

The point is to represent non religious use of magic - religious is restrained. I want to represent people like Euron, Marwyn, Bryndedn Rivers and his sisters, Necromancer king, typical valyrian dragonlord.
Priests in CK2 cannot inherit and aren't playable.
(Btw Warlocks shouldn't be priests).
I will cover religious usage of magic later and merge this two kinds

Magic observatory
I don't think glass candle need special place - however magic as a whole needs special place - i mean access to special ingridients, privacy, books. I think I will have a sorcery tower bulding that allow you to practice magic and store your house magical lore so your sons could dabble into sorcery easier.
:D

Curse of the Shadow: maybe, instead of a spell focused towards cursing an entire province, this could target a single character. Let's say, there's this guy called Maegor that you really hate because he executed your entire family for rebelling against him. So you gather enough Magic Credits™ and cast this spell on him. From that day forward, he has a very high chance of fathering children with all kinds of bad congenital traits, some of the even possibly being born like Dany's Rhaego.

I already have that kind of spell its called curse of stillborn.

Rhoynar & Cold magic suggestion noted - will use that in future once blood/shadow/fire magic is polished.
pietrko

PostPosted by blackmambauk » Sun Jun 26, 2016 14:45

Really looking forward to using this mod and seeing how fun it will be to use magic.
blackmambauk

PreviousNext

Return to Sub-Mods