[submod] Sorcery Mod --- (DEV, NEW INFO)

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

[submod] Sorcery Mod --- (DEV, NEW INFO)

PostPosted by pietrko » Sun Aug 18, 2013 13:50

MOD is officially being ported & updated to 1.2

Download Link!
Spoiler: show
Haha!, there is no download link yet - its just me being a dick :D
No worries it will be released soon.

Sorcery Mod
In short: mod aims to implment non-religious magic. All kind of sorcery that fits into GRRM worlds without breaking the lore and filling gaps where is this necessary.
You will see :
  • New traits representing your sorcery abilities
  • ways to gather arcane knowledge and pass it onto your dynasty
  • Spells (blood magic, shadowbinding, pyromancy, aeromancy, dragonlore)
  • sacrificies - each kind of magic is fueled by sacrifice - "Words are wind, but blood is power."
  • dragonglass candles

ABOUT MAGIC
One common ingridient all kinds of magic (valyrian, red priest, warolock ones) in AGOT have in common is that they require some kind of sacrifice, usually bloody one.
GRRM stated that there are no true gods in AGOT world, this may lead to conclusion that i.e Red Priests are no different than Valyrian sorceres - the only difference they use their bloody fire magic in the name of "God".
The aim of the mod is to give a common mechanic for this 'bloody" magic of any kind.
The power comes with a price - in mod this is represented by obvious reputation penalties (blood sacrifices are needed for magic to work) and a chance to get some nasty traits: wounds, fire obssesd, etc - not yet implemented

What is implemented - Spell list
Magic is used via spells - evens occuring automatically if circumstances are meet and decision based spells when timing is important.
Casting spells requires some level of magic power, power is obtained thourgh sacrifices.
Sacrifices are made from people.
Magic is affected by presensce of dragons. Magic has high failure rate if dragons don't inhabit the world.

Here is the list of spells, NOT IMPLEMENTED spells are crossed:

Pure Blood Magic
  • Blood Pact Ritual - most powerful spell - makes your whole bloodline a magic one (easier to cast spells and dabble into sorcery for your dynasty - i.e make another targaryens)
  • Eternal youth - obvious effect.
  • Using dragonglass candles - using glass candle mage can see thorugh others mind to uncover plot, warn friends and send terrific visions to enemies (chance of applying lunatic trait)
    most simple use of glass spells applies a constant bonus to character attributes and lowers the revolt risk. Candles are useless for people without magic power.

• Gift of Life - impregnates your spouse with help of blood magic.
  • Curse of Stillborn - every baby of cursed woman will be born dead.

Various uncagoterized magic
  • Shadow assassin - shadowbinding, you all know it .
  • Curse of shadow - blood magic+shadow magic, curses the land with disease that kills children and animals..
  • Raging winds - areomancy, causes storms in nearby water provinces, storm may destroy part of enemy fleet

Pyromancy
  • Living fire - weaker version of using dragon in battle (uses wildfire).
  • Boiling blood (requires blood magic too) - thing Mellisandre did to Orell eagle, duel only spell possibly.

Valyrian magic. Fire & Blood magic (pyromancy + blood magic + dragonlore)

• Dragon bond - used for wild dragons, greatly increase a chance to tame a dragon. This is ritual like spell it's useless against charging dragon.
  • Stoneshaping - Valyrians were masters of shaping stone - reduced time and price for bulding construction.

Event pictures: Check out the thread for them. (credits to guys from deviantart: Ariokh, ColdFlame1987, Anubiscomics i edited their work)

Gaining Sorcery Traits
Sorcery traits are obtained via event. For these event to trigger you need to collect knowledge from various places people connected with magic. Most of the knowledge is obtained form people.
Teachers give you pieces of knowledge of "blood magic", "shadowbinding" etc, then you have to practice it.
If you want to gain ANY magic trait you must choose "Study arcane arts" ambition.

The Last Sorcerer
"The dragonlords of the old Freehold were strong in sorcery, and lesser men defied them at their peril."
- The Kindly Man, to Arya

One of the aims of this mod is to represent part of Valyrian nobility gifted in magic or rather some remnants of it. Of course magic isn't limited to Valyrians, they developed it but the knowledge istself can by hold by anyone. However i've added a custom dynasty with magic abilities for testing purposes, along with Targaryens they escaped the doom of Valyria, however they have no dragons...
They are called Namorgulilarys (which means immortal in Valyrian - yep i even checked that in some Valyrian dictionary ).
They have special event that gives them all pieces of arcane knowledge, check early Ellyria for this characer.

HOW TO HELP[UPDATE]
I am looking for a modder that could check the mod with validator and send me the resulting report file.
This strange request comes from the fact I use linux and validator was written for winodows. I'm not eager to install (imho)shitty system beacause of one program so....
If you are that kind person pm me :)
  • report bugs
  • I need localisation writers for god sake!
    Thank you all!

Regards,
Peter
Last edited by pietrko on Tue Jun 28, 2016 15:23, edited 159 times in total.
pietrko

Re: Valyrian magic & mod question

PostPosted by pietrko » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:50

To moderator:
please move this topic to events subforum, its about event chains so now i think it would be better to have it there.
pietrko

PostPosted by bontanel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 16:12

pietrko wrote:To moderator:
please move this topic to events subforum, its about event chains so now i think it would be better to have it there.

It's a submod
bontanel

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Thu Aug 29, 2013 17:13

Ohh now this looks very interesting.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by EDAP » Thu Aug 29, 2013 17:50

Hey, I'm not going to have much time for proper writing, but here are some ideas for event text as well as maybe some of the options for them;
Code: Select all
Ritual of Rebirth(For younger wizards, not as good writing)
You are young and talented; and with your reckless ambition not even the fires of life are safe from your touch. With the sacrifice of one dear and close to you, you could prolong your life, but is it worth the terrible cost?
(Option 1, YES) YES, Bring me my (close relative)!I would gladly trade their life for the hope of life eternal!
(Option 2, NO) No, nothing is worth this cost...

Ritual of Rebirth (For older wizards)
You have lived a long life, and accomplished much with your wondrous magics. You had thought that when the time came you might be content to die but now as your time draws ever nearer to its close, you have doubts. With the knowledge of an entire lifetime, you could surely hold back your approaching end... But the cost would be great, it would require the sacrifice of (son/daughter/wife etc). You have pondered on the matter for days and have decided:
(Option 1, is ambitious) YES, such as triumph would only show the world of my greatness
(Option 1, Charitable [would cost you a few good traits maybe?]) Yes, with a longer life my magic could help more.
(Option 1, Selfish or Craven) YES, my life before all other.
(Option 1, Kinslayer) Yes, I've killed my kin before, why should I baulk again?
(Option 1, Ruthless) If that is what it takes, so be it.
(Option 2, Content or Humble) No, I have led a good life. It is time for the torch to pass onwards.
(Option 2, Family Person) Why would I consider such an action, NO! A thousand times no!
(Option 2, Brave or Honourable) No, I shall face death with dignity
(Option 3, Lunatic, Possesed, Ambitious) Why not drink Wildfire and become as the great dragons!

I feel that the option to extend your life should be an event, not a decision, I feel that such power should be more fleshed out that "burn relative, live forever"
Flaming Weapon
A fight! Some fool has chosen to fight me, a wizard of Valyria! Little does (s)he know I have magics to help me in this fight! With a burst of brilliant light my sword does become wreathed in flame and I do move to strike down (s)he who opposes me!
Fire and Blood

Firestorm
A battle! These fools think they can beat me, a wizare of Valyria! My magic shall strike these fools down! The sky itself bleeds brilliant red and powerful fire does rain upon my foes.
Fire and Blood

As an idea, would it be possible to have alternative writings for the discover plot's option, say like Bloodraven did in the lore you disguise yourself and infiltrate the plot to find out more? I could write something like that if you wanted?
Last edited by EDAP on Thu Aug 29, 2013 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
Here is a link to my personal list of FAQs. Please check there to see if it answers you question. This is still largely up to date, and I will try and remember to update it when I find the time.
EDAP

PostPosted by pietrko » Thu Aug 29, 2013 21:42

Thanks for event texts, the middle one is especially good. I'll definitely use it.
I think that all spells without any exceptions should be accessible via decisions. Gaining magic power and traits needed to cast ritual of rebirth is hard enough.
Seconldy there is chance that caster will die in effect of casting this spell.

On the second thought Shiera Seasta (Some targaryen chick) use sorcery to "in order to preserve her stunning look" so maybe this spell should be less expensive?
What do you think

As an idea, would it be possible to have alternative writings for the discover plot's option, say like Bloodraven did in the lore you disguise yourself and infiltrate the plot to find out more? I could write something like that if you wanted?

Could you be a little more elaborate? Are you talking events fired when your spymaster discover plot? If so, it is possible to alter them.
Please write more it sounds interesting.
pietrko

PostPosted by EDAP » Thu Aug 29, 2013 21:57

pietrko wrote:

Could you be a little more elaborate? Are you talking events fired when your spymaster discover plot? If so, it is possible to alter them.
Please write more it sounds interesting.

I don't remember the details, but in one of the Dunk and Egg tales it is strongly implied that Bloodraven used his magic to disguise himself as one of the conspirators and thus was able to counteract some Blackfyre plot to kill Egg. That would just be flavour, what would actually happen is that you could be invited to plots against yourself, and be able to counteract them from within, for instance you might get a list of conspirators and thus arrest them all on treason charges.
Edit: Also perhaps some sought of way to steal a dragon, such as using a dragon horn to command someone's dragon to turn against their master?
Here is a link to my personal list of FAQs. Please check there to see if it answers you question. This is still largely up to date, and I will try and remember to update it when I find the time.
EDAP

PostPosted by pietrko » Sat Aug 31, 2013 19:46

Dragonglass Candle
I need a suggestion for event chain for obtaining a dragonglass candle.
There are 3 or 4 known candles in Westeros i think and much more on Essos.
If any one have thoughts on that topic plz share.

Magical knowledge
How magical knowledge should be taught - from books, other person, in a 'education trait' like style?
It is mainly a long forgotten knowledge so education like thing is not good.
At that moment a character who wants to do magic must learn it from many different sources at once.
Some part from maesters, some parts from valyrain books, some part from blood witches from Essos.

Btw mod is almost ready, it needs some flavour and bugfixing.
pietrko

PostPosted by CodyLS » Sat Aug 31, 2013 22:37

EDAP wrote:I don't remember the details, but in one of the Dunk and Egg tales it is strongly implied that Bloodraven used his magic to disguise himself as one of the conspirators and thus was able to counteract some Blackfyre plot to kill Egg

What? I've read all of the Dunk and Egg books multiple times, never even caught an inkling of this.
CodyLS

PostPosted by EDAP » Sat Aug 31, 2013 22:45

CodyLS wrote:
EDAP wrote:I don't remember the details, but in one of the Dunk and Egg tales it is strongly implied that Bloodraven used his magic to disguise himself as one of the conspirators and thus was able to counteract some Blackfyre plot to kill Egg

What? I've read all of the Dunk and Egg books multiple times, never even caught an inkling of this.

Whereas I've read none of them but got plot summary's from TVTropes and this was mentioned somewhere, possibly as speculation. From what I remember of it was there not a Blackfyre plot in Book 2 I think, which involved Egg in someway? Doesn't Bloodraven pop up near the end and explain how it was never going to succeed, then vannish. I think there was implication earlier that he was disguising himself and had popped up elsewhere and had infiltrated the plot.
EDAP

PostPosted by CodyLS » Sun Sep 01, 2013 00:05

EDAP wrote:Whereas I've read none of them but got plot summary's from TVTropes and this was mentioned somewhere, possibly as speculation. From what I remember of it was there not a Blackfyre plot in Book 2 I think, which involved Egg in someway? Doesn't Bloodraven pop up near the end and explain how it was never going to succeed, then vannish. I think there was implication earlier that he was disguising himself and had popped up elsewhere and had infiltrated the plot.

You're talking about The Mystery Knight (book 3). I had never heard that theory, so I looked it up. It has about as much hard evidence as R+L=J. Meaning it's entirely speculative, but makes sense. At least to me.

I was always under the impression that Bloodraven's sorcery was more akin to Greensight, especially because he is kin to the Blackwoods, who keep the old gods. But his lover Sheira Seastar's mother was from Lys (and of Valyrian descent) and was accused of sorcery too and it's said that Shiera shared her mother's skills in the magic, so maybe he learned the Eastern magic from his lover. Bloodraven could have been one of the first known to use both western magic (greensight/warging) and eastern/Valyrian sorcery. As I type this my mind keeps making more and more connections that I have never made before, so I'm going to stop now before it starts to more sound like the semi-lucid ravings of the tinfoil hat crew.

Mind=Blown. Thanks for giving me something to occupy my mind while I'm at work tonight.
CodyLS

PostPosted by EDAP » Sun Sep 01, 2013 00:20

CodyLS wrote:
EDAP wrote:Whereas I've read none of them but got plot summary's from TVTropes and this was mentioned somewhere, possibly as speculation. From what I remember of it was there not a Blackfyre plot in Book 2 I think, which involved Egg in someway? Doesn't Bloodraven pop up near the end and explain how it was never going to succeed, then vannish. I think there was implication earlier that he was disguising himself and had popped up elsewhere and had infiltrated the plot.

You're talking about The Mystery Knight (book 3). I had never heard that theory, so I looked it up. It has about as much hard evidence as R+L=J. Meaning it's entirely speculative, but makes sense. At least to me.

I was always under the impression that Bloodraven's sorcery was more akin to Greensight, especially because he is kin to the Blackwoods, who keep the old gods. But his lover Sheira Seastar's mother was from Lys (and of Valyrian descent) and was accused of sorcery too and it's said that Shiera shared her mother's skills in the magic, so maybe he learned the Eastern magic from his lover. Bloodraven could have been one of the first known to use both western magic (greensight/warging) and eastern/Valyrian sorcery. As I type this my mind keeps making more and more connections that I have never made before, so I'm going to stop now before it starts to more sound like the semi-lucid ravings of the tinfoil hat crew.

Mind=Blown. Thanks for giving me something to occupy my mind while I'm at work tonight.

No trouble what-so-ever, happy to help.
EDAP

PostPosted by pietrko » Mon Sep 02, 2013 21:00

I want to make an event chain for obtaining the dragonglass candle similar to this for valyrian sword.
Do you think that this item is rare enough to make finite number of candles in the world?

I plan to implement a set of events that could regulate the number of candles.

What do you think?
Or maybe its better to work on new spells?
pietrko

PostPosted by tehwahls » Tue Sep 03, 2013 23:30

I don't see why it would be an issue (other than creating the event(s) themselves) to have a finite number of Glass Candles floating around. I mean, the only time I recall them being mentioned in-text is from the Maesters, implying that there probably aren't too many of them in Westeros.
tehwahls

PostPosted by HandsomeVulture » Sun Sep 08, 2013 19:35

pietrko wrote:I want to make an event chain for obtaining the dragonglass candle similar to this for valyrian sword.
Do you think that this item is rare enough to make finite number of candles in the world?

I plan to implement a set of events that could regulate the number of candles.

What do you think?
Or maybe its better to work on new spells?

You could set a specific event that can only happen once with obtaining the candle at the Citadel. Perhaps have the chain start off with your character trying to infiltrate the citadel as a maester in training or something along those lines. Have a couple of text puzzles to get some links on your chain before they leave you alone for the night with the candle (forget exactly how they said this happens in the book).
HandsomeVulture

PostPosted by pietrko » Tue Oct 08, 2013 20:02

Ok guys, you are encouraged to check out first public alfa, remember it's just a skeleton.
Link is in the first post.

Regards,
Pietrko
pietrko

PostPosted by Calantyr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 22:49

This is exactly what I was hoping for. I play an ex-student of the Citadel who searches for magical lore in the P&P RPG.

Many thanks!
Calantyr

PostPosted by HuskyWolf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 15:00

moved due to request of OP
HuskyWolf

PostPosted by pietrko » Sat Oct 12, 2013 21:40

Mod reached some point of maturity now i'm open to any suggestions, features requests etc.
Also plz report any bugs in this topic.
Within a few a days i will release new version - more playable one.

What do you think about:
-introducing nicknames connected with some magic events ( ie. person who frequently cast spells would be "the sorcerer" etc..) feel free to propose anything
-new spells: think about spells that will bring some new qualities to gameplay
-new buildings (like castle library?)
-passing magic traits to children: your successors should be taught magic by guardian or there should be a way to pass knowledge to adult children?

Regards,
Peter
pietrko

PostPosted by talias » Sun Oct 13, 2013 17:24

Just tried the mod and liked it. Played with the test character - conquered Skagos and Karhold, wiped out Starks and sacrificed them to get enough power to use Ritual of Rebirth, Karkstark became LP of North, got screwed when my immortal character became incapable.

List of bugs and suggestions:
+Make it a normal mod, that can be activated from launcher.
+In the interface folder you are using decision_icons.gfx, eventwindow.gfx, objectives.gfx, traits.gfx for your images, it would be more compatible to use one new file for all your added images.
+When there is no one with dragonglass candle and you have study arcane arts ambition you are spammed with event arcane.243, the event could check if there actually is anyone with the candle. And there could be some more ways to get the candle.
+Ritual of rebirth and Firestorm (probably other decisions too) could use custom tooltip, because character flags don't appear as requirement.
+Way too many characters tried to use the study arcane arts ambition, it was the second most popular ambition after increase demesne size, it could have somewhat stricter requirements.
+There could be some difference in the firestorm and siege firestorm decision names, also siege firestorm could be disabled when you are in a battle to make it less confusing.
+The spell decision icon is a bit bigger than vanilla and your other icons.
+It's hard to see the level of arcane traits, the dots are to small.
+You should be consistent in full stop usage in modifiers and decision names.
+There could be some info events about sorcerers, similar to dragons and kingsguards.
+It would be a bit complicated but it would be nice to have access to spells if you have courtier who is sorcerer, you could assist his studies financially.
+I think this is vanilla thing, but having valyrian religion I sacrificed to the Skagos gods.
+You shouldn't be able to cast spells if you are incapable.

All in all I like it - it seems more polished then the R'hllor magic currently in the mod, and has good base that can be expanded for more magics (qarth warlocks, shadowbinders).
talias
Mod Team

Next

Return to Sub-Mods