Your favorite gratuitous descriptive paragraph?

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Your favorite gratuitous descriptive paragraph?

PostPosted by AryaUnderFoot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 01:09

There are oh-so-many lengthy, unnecessary paragraphs in these books. I got two lines into this one before I realized what I had fallen into: A GRRM descriptive black hole!

Hundreds of knights meant hundreds of shields. Hawks and eagles, dragons and griffins, suns and stags, wolves and wyverns, manticores, bulls, trees and flowers, harps, spears, crabs and krakens, red lions and golden lions and chequy lions, owls, lambs, maids and mermen, stallions, stars, buckets and buckles, flayed men and hanged men and burning men, axes, longswords, turtles, unicorns, bears, quills, spiders and snakes and scorpions, and a hundred other heraldic charges had adorned the Shieldhall walls, blazoned in more colors than any rainbow ever dreamed of.”

Excerpt From: George R. R. Martin. “A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five.” Bantam Books, 2011-07-12. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

I critique in jest of course - I could never write as well as GRRM - but what is your favorite/worst descriptive paragraph from the series?
AryaUnderFoot

Re: Your favorite gratuitous descriptive paragraph?

PostPosted by Syn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 23:41

Sam found himself kissing her back. I said the words, he thought, but her hands were tugging at his blacks, pulling at the laces of his breeches. He broke off the kiss long enough to say, "We can't," but Gilly said, "We can," and covered his mouth with her own again. The Cinnamon Wind was spinning all around them and he could taste the rum on Gilly's tongue and the next thing her breasts were bare and he was touching them. I said the words, Sam thought again, but one of her nipples found its way between his lips. It was pink and hard and when he sucked on it her milk filled his mouth, mingling with the taste of rum, and he had never tasted anything so fine and sweet and good. If I do this I am no better than Dareon, Sam thought, but it felt too good to stop. And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast. It looked so silly standing there that he might have laughed, but Gilly pushed him back onto her pallet, hiked her skirts up around her thighs, and lowered herself onto him with a little whimpery sound. That was even better than her nipples. She's so wet, he thought, gasping. I never knew a woman could get so wet down there. "I am your wife now," she whispered, sliding up and down on him. And Sam groaned and thought, No, no, you can't be, I said the words, I said the words, but the only word he said was, "Yes."

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. :twisted:
Syn

PostPosted by Rabid Bogling » Tue Feb 18, 2014 15:11

I forgot all about that one. Huzzah for Samwell. Should really reread AFFC. Unfortunately every copy of the books I possess are sitting - borrowed and unread - on a shelf in Brighton. :(
Ours Is The Booze
Rabid Bogling
Mod Team

PostPosted by Andre Massena » Mon Mar 03, 2014 07:18

The one in the Hedge Knight where he goes on and on about the banners of every house in the tournament :D
Andre Massena

PostPosted by Mujahideen » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:38

Syn wrote:
Sam found himself kissing her back. I said the words, he thought, but her hands were tugging at his blacks, pulling at the laces of his breeches. He broke off the kiss long enough to say, "We can't," but Gilly said, "We can," and covered his mouth with her own again. The Cinnamon Wind was spinning all around them and he could taste the rum on Gilly's tongue and the next thing her breasts were bare and he was touching them. I said the words, Sam thought again, but one of her nipples found its way between his lips. It was pink and hard and when he sucked on it her milk filled his mouth, mingling with the taste of rum, and he had never tasted anything so fine and sweet and good. If I do this I am no better than Dareon, Sam thought, but it felt too good to stop. And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast. It looked so silly standing there that he might have laughed, but Gilly pushed him back onto her pallet, hiked her skirts up around her thighs, and lowered herself onto him with a little whimpery sound. That was even better than her nipples. She's so wet, he thought, gasping. I never knew a woman could get so wet down there. "I am your wife now," she whispered, sliding up and down on him. And Sam groaned and thought, No, no, you can't be, I said the words, I said the words, but the only word he said was, "Yes."

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. :twisted:

I can't stop laughing mates :lol:
And I almost can't believe that it's in the books. There aren't many posts in this thread, but I doubt there will ever be a beter description of anything. :D
Mujahideen

PostPosted by Syn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 19:39

“There’s to be a trial. When you hear all he did, you’ll want him dead as much as I do.” She touched his face. “I was lost without you, Jaime. I was afraid the Starks would send me your head. I could not have borne that.” She kissed him. A light kiss, the merest brush of her lips on his, but he could feel her tremble as he slid his arms around her. “I am not whole without you.”

There was no tenderness in the kiss he returned to her, only hunger. Her mouth opened for his tongue. “No,” she said weakly when his lips moved down her neck, “not here. The septons . . . ”

“The Others can take the septons.” He kissed her again, kissed her silent, kissed her until she moaned. Then he knocked the candles aside and lifted her up onto the Mother’s altar, pushing up her skirts and the silken shift beneath. She pounded on his chest with feeble fists, murmuring about the risk, the danger, about their father, about the septons, about the wrath of gods. He never heard her. He undid his breeches and climbed up and pushed her bare white legs apart. One hand slid up her thigh and underneath her smallclothes. When he tore them away, he saw that her moon’s blood was on her, but it made no difference.

“Hurry,” she was whispering now, “quickly, quickly, now, do it now, do me now. Jaime Jaime Jaime.” Her hands helped guide him. “Yes,” Cersei said as he thrust, “my brother, sweet brother, yes, like that, yes, I have you, you’re home now, you’re home now, you’re home.” She kissed his ear and stroked his short bristly hair. Jaime lost himself in her flesh. He could feel Cersei’s heart beating in time with his own, and the wetness of blood and seed where they were joined.

But no sooner were they done than the queen said, “Let me up. If we are discovered like this . . . ”

Reluctantly he rolled away and helped her off the altar. The pale marble was smeared with blood. Jaime wiped it clean with his sleeve, then bent to pick up the candles he had knocked over. Fortunately they had all gone out when they fell. If the sept had caught fire I might never have noticed.

This, and Sam/Gilly are the two that stand out for me. Twincest during the woman's period inside a "church" next to their inbred son's dead body. Woo! Be still my beating heart! :lol:
Syn

PostPosted by Sansa Stark » Tue Mar 25, 2014 16:43

The fat pink mast stuff is obviously the #1 in my heart, followed by the "Myrish swamp" part. :lol: Where Cersei is concerned, the latter was worse to me than having sex (in a church, next to the corpse of her dead son, on her period, with her twin) because the word "swamp"... nope. :|
Sansa Stark

Return to Story and Lore