Targaryen outfits

For any gfx related subject (flags, portraits, icons, interface...)

Re: Targaryen outfits

PostPosted by Rabid Bogling » Tue Feb 18, 2014 22:41

This is some fantastic work, hibludij. As for those helmets, they could all be used. With a little recolouring the "greco-roman" one could fit the Volantis area. And the "modern" one might work for the Free Cities, as you said.
Ours Is The Booze
Rabid Bogling
Mod Team

PostPosted by xoatl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 22:50

The helmet on the right could be good, just have a variant without the faceguard?

Here's some helmets for inspiration
xoatl

PostPosted by hibludij » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56

Rabid Bogling wrote:This is some fantastic work, hibludij. As for those helmets, they could all be used. With a little recolouring the "greco-roman" one could fit the Volantis area. And the "modern" one might work for the Free Cities, as you said.

thanks, after i finish the helm for targs, i was thinkig of doing something for the volantis, since thez sound like an interesting bunch, with their new valyria ambitions but i just cant stand the vanilla "venetian" look.

Althoug I realy have no idea what they are sopoused to look like, google gives just a few pictures and even those are contradicring each other, some showing roman like cities while other have a more indian/ottoman feel to them and those are just vedutas and landscapes, i couldnt find anz desciptions or pictures actualy portraing people of the area.
hibludij

PostPosted by xoatl » Wed Feb 19, 2014 16:58

Volantis is the oldest of the Free Cities. It was the first colony of the Valyrian Freehold - her “first daughter”. It's basically a huge melting pot of different cultures, due to the large amount of slaves.

The noble people who are allowed to live inside the Black Wall all must trace their ancestry in an unbroken line back to Valyria, this means that by this stage they are all much more Valyrian than any Targaryen and so would most likely have the Valyrian looks.

The regular citizens and freed men of Volantis are a different matter though. We get descriptions of Qavo Nogarys and Gorys Edoryen and niether of them have the Valyrian look.
So it is likely that much like Braavos the people of Volantis outside the Black Wall are a mix of several different ethnicities.
xoatl

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Wed Feb 26, 2014 15:18

That looks a bit like silks/robes and for armor Lamellar.

http://www.fectio.org.uk/articles/Avar2.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/ ... 5cghzo.jpg

Here are a couple of helmets for you to take into consideration.

PS: Absolutely gorgeous work on the Targ armors. I would also love to have that original helmet with the facemask :D
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by philosophert » Thu Feb 27, 2014 01:15

These are all really amazing. Is there anyway to get a version with the helm and face plate?
philosophert

PostPosted by xoatl » Sat Mar 01, 2014 09:34

Yeah, I really like the Dragon helm.
xoatl

PostPosted by Robb Stark » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:38

The Dragon helm looks awesome. Are you only doing Valyrian outfits or are you going to do some more regional outfits? :?
“The winters are hard, but the Starks will endure. We always have.” – Eddard Stark
Robb Stark

PostPosted by hibludij » Sat Mar 01, 2014 18:53

for any1 who wants to use the closed "dragon helm" heres the file but the helmet doesnt work with fatt faces and beards and also some ears, so keep your targs slim and clean shaven :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31064357/valyrian_male_headgear.dds

@LordLothston
im curently working on the East valyrian clothes for volantis folks.
hibludij

PostPosted by Lord Audiate » Fri Oct 24, 2014 23:15

I see Valyrian armor as much more fantasy in design than Byzantium, or anything for that matter. Valyrian nobles, and I would say a Valyrian noble includes anyone between the tip-top of the freehold to the dragonriders to the slave owners and rich Valyrians, would have probably worn on a day-to-day basis bright-colored robes with emphasis on embroidery and the almost so-classy-its-no-longer-stylish look. My assumption is that the War of Conquest and creation of the Iron Throne, though especially the years to follow, impacted the culture of Westeros in some ways, and it shows. The pre-conquest kingdoms like the North and the Iron Islands and even the Vale that remained relatively isolated from their Valyrian kings and queens dress noticeably different than anyone in say, the Rock/Westerlands or the Reach. This shows some contrast between Andal and Valyrian cultures, that prior to the events in Westeros, remained practically alienated. As for the Dornish, they can trace their ancestry back to a mixture of the Andals, and of course, the Rhoynar, who had surely been influenced by the Valyrians. If that assumption is wrong, however, note that by the time the books and show comes in, the Martells and Targaryens had already had several years of marriage and alliance, which surely changed things for the nobility of Dorne, ie. Oberyn Martell and so forth. Specifically in Valyria, however, you have to imagine a very sharp clash of cultures between Ghiscari, Rhoynar, and Essosi, mixed in together with parts unique to Valyrians. It's likely that for Valyrian nobility, who would already watch dragons flying all day, massive structures being built by slaves and said dragons, and often being pre-matched with your own sibling(s) since practically day one (which means that despite practicing incest, they don't have to go through the awkward teenage phases, and, let's be honest here, Valyrians are hot anyway), they probably found themselves bored pretty quickly in court, and surely took major interest in the cultures of other regions. Since war, and winning them, was something Valyrians saw a lot of, some might have even worn armor into their clothing, somewhat like Cersei's armoured dress, but in a more "look at me, I'm on the right side of the war" way. It's really all up to interpretation, but as this paragraph that probably not three people will read demonstrates, there's a lot of ways to think about it and take ideas in.
Lord Audiate

PostPosted by alexowolff » Fri Mar 20, 2015 06:02

looks like nice

female??
alexowolff

PostPosted by the New Valyrian » Fri Apr 03, 2015 19:32

Cool! how did you make them?
the New Valyrian

PostPosted by Vierwood » Sun Jun 25, 2017 01:24

I have a proposition for you. Add me on steam my username is Vierwood.
Vierwood

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Sun Jun 25, 2017 08:28

Last visited:Thu Oct 15, 2015 07:17
It's currently June 25th, 2017

hibludij has not logged onto the forums in nearly 2 years. And jesus my accounts over 4 years old now? Where the hell did the time go!
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:51

Don't necro two year old threads.
Graduate Content Designer on Project Caligula

My amazingly empty Twitter account: @blackninja9939

Posts edited in this colour were done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

Previous

Return to Graphics and Art