[Sub-mod] Bloodlines v7

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

[Sub-mod] Bloodlines v7

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 22:01

After seeing a small discussion on the What would you like to see in upcoming versions of this mod thread I decided to make a sub-mod which adds new bloodline traits to prominent families of Westeros. The traits give monthly prestige, a general opinion and bonus opinion with other of that trait.

Currently Included:
Spoiler: show
- 12 Bloodline Traits for the major families of Wetseros including the pre-conquest Kings
- A starting event to assign the trait so it is compatible with ruler designed families
- A maintenance event to assign the trait if it is not inherited correctly
- Event to check parents for bloodlines and to assign them to children
- Decision to make your own bloodline trait if you have any Emperor Tier title bar, have 2000 prestige or piety and don't have any other bloodlines

Current version v7
Compatible with CK2 v2.7.1
Compatible with AGOT v1.4.1

Compatible Sub-mods: Should be compatible with anything as it only adds stuff, however it might not be compatible with sub-mods that add new traits. Compatible with any custom houses I have made
Download Link

If you wish to use parts of this submod in any of your own mods ask me for permission and I'll decide (probably a no).

Icons done by the amazing talias
Thanks to Elder Kings for the inspiration of having bloodlines and some of the code for creating the divine bloodline.

WARNING! THIS WILL BE INCOMPATIBLE WITH SAVE GAMES THAT DIDN'T START WITH THIS

blackninja9939
Last edited by blackninja9939 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 15:46, edited 41 times in total.
Graduate Content Designer on Project Caligula

My amazingly empty Twitter account: @blackninja9939

Posts edited in this colour were done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

Re: [Sub-mod] Bloodlines

PostPosted by EDAP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 22:04

Could you define major? And is it only people of the dynasties who get these traits, or could 1st or 2nd generation descendants get some sort of trait?
Here is a link to my personal list of FAQs. Please check there to see if it answers you question. The specific details aren't up to date, and I probably won't update it for a while, but the general ideas are unchanged.
EDAP

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 22:10

By major I mean all LPs and the IT.
Trait inheritance example: You are a Stark, you get the trait. You marry someone and have a child, that child will get the trait. Say you are a woman and marry matrilineally, your children will also get the trait
I am currently working out a way to make children of regular marriages get the bloodline trait if the wife has a bloodline trait. I am the planning to make it so after say 5 generations of not being a dynasty member of the bloodline you have the trait is lost. eg: Sweet Robin gets both the Arryn and Tully bloodlien trait, after 5 generations the current character would lose the Tully bloodline trait.
This is so as to prevent someone trying to hoard bloodline traits for the free prestige and stat boosts
Either that or I make it so the bloodline only goes through males and leave the maintenance event to deal with matrilineal marriges

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by EDAP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 22:30

Ok, thanks for clarifying. In older games could the Durandons, Hoares and Gardeners get bloodlines as well then, when you add in more, as they're equally major.
Here is a link to my personal list of FAQs. Please check there to see if it answers you question. The specific details aren't up to date, and I probably won't update it for a while, but the general ideas are unchanged.
EDAP

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 22:34

That is the plan. However, this is mainly a test to see how good/bad the implementation of this would be as there are many mixed opinions on this is as some think it add to much clutter to the traits is something pointless whereas others really like the idea.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by EDAP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 22:40

Fair enough, I'll give this a whirl next time a play and see what I think. The idea does seem solid though.
EDAP

PostPosted by SuperTechmarine » Thu Mar 06, 2014 22:50

Going to test it myself.

Pretty good i must say.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
SuperTechmarine

PostPosted by Calantyr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 23:24

Excellent idea, I'll use this in all my games going forward.

If I might make a suggestion of also giving a small boost to character health and/or fertility? Before anyone splutters in rage this is not because I feel the major families are naturally healthier or more verile, but because of their wealth, prestige, and position they can afford the best medical care in the Kingdom. They also live in the best conditions and have access to sanitation/nuitrition that others lack. Likewise, marrying into these families is considered extremely advantageous and any marriage would want to result in children.

This might help stop the major families dying out and being replaced an hour into the game without straightjacketing it.
Calantyr

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 23:28

Glad people like it, I am a bit unsure about adding a health or fertility bonus as many like aspect of randomness the game can bring.
Also if you encounter any bugs post here (hopefuly none of you will need to)

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by Ser Bujeyne » Fri Mar 07, 2014 00:07

I was just thinking about something like this the other day. Good work!
Check out A Dance of Crows Tweaks submod http://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic5041.html
Ser Bujeyne

PostPosted by Calantyr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 00:55

blackninja9939 wrote:Glad people like it, I am a bit unsure about adding a health or fertility bonus as many like aspect of randomness the game can bring.
Also if you encounter any bugs post here (hopefuly none of you will need to)

Fair enough.

By the way, you don't need to copy the entire traits gfx file in the Interface folder. You can just make a new file (i.e bloodlines_traits.gfx) and in it put only your new traits. This will allow your mod to maintain compatibility when the main mod is updated, since they are likely to change/add existing traits.
Calantyr

PostPosted by LancelotLoire » Fri Mar 07, 2014 00:58

My major families generally have like 8-10 children if they don't die in battle early.
LancelotLoire

PostPosted by Nightsking » Fri Mar 07, 2014 01:40

Not a big fan of the overall idea. The fact your heritage makes you better at devising military strategy makes little sense to me. Or better at counting coins and squeezing peasants for more taxes. Or better at talking to people.
"I understand hate well enough."
Nightsking

PostPosted by Blindsorcerer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 02:45

Definitely of the opinion rare events specific to bloodlines would be a stronger, better way to go about this. Traits look nice though in game art-wise and aren't game breaking. Just don't make a lot of sense game play/lore wise. But a success no doubt to anyone who wants these in their game so good work, I have yet to encounter bugs.
Blindsorcerer

PostPosted by Showiddly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 02:57

Nightsking wrote:Not a big fan of the overall idea. The fact your heritage makes you better at devising military strategy makes little sense to me. Or better at counting coins and squeezing peasants for more taxes. Or better at talking to people.

This, kind of. In other mods where a similar kind of bloodline system has been implemented I've never really seen how being the great-ad-nauseam-grandchild of a brilliant diplomat or strategist or administrator means that you're just straight up better at it than other people. Though I do like the idea of a prestige boost, I still don't think it works in the context of the game. Example, if the Lannisters are ousted from the Rock and relegated to one province counts in the arse-end of nowhere, the rest of Westeros wouldn't give half a shit about them anymore and they'd no longer be a prestigious dynasty.

That aside, props on putting this together, it's very well done. The icons are as lovely as one might expect from someone as talented as Talias too.
Showiddly

PostPosted by Kainser » Fri Mar 07, 2014 03:32

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the concept as such but the icons are really rad at least.
Kainser

PostPosted by Nightsking » Fri Mar 07, 2014 03:43

Showiddly wrote: Though I do like the idea of a prestige boost, I still don't think it works in the context of the game.

The tenth of the Dynasty prestige thing is plenty for any "prestige boost".
"I understand hate well enough."
Nightsking

PostPosted by Showiddly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 06:27

Nightsking wrote:
Showiddly wrote: Though I do like the idea of a prestige boost, I still don't think it works in the context of the game.

The tenth of the Dynasty prestige thing is plenty for any "prestige boost".

Precisely the conclusion I reached. That allows for the whole past glories thing which is really the factor behind all prestigious families, without the presumption that said families are still as powerful.
Showiddly

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 08:15

I personally was never to sure about adding the stat boost but this was a test. I will probabaly remove the stat boost and possibly increase the prestige or add a general opinion bonus.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by cosmic » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:16

+1 Nice one, man. Gonna give this a whirl in a bit. Could be cool if non-major bloodline characters could ultimately keep some sort of 'distant ancestry/heritage' trait or something. At the expense of sounding unnecessarily greusome, I just like the idea of 'collecting blood' :D
cosmic

Next

Return to Sub-Mods