Ending Season 4 Episode 4 ( Spoilers )

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Ending Season 4 Episode 4 ( Spoilers )

PostPosted by Anon90 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 16:49

Hey first of all, I don't know if this is the right place, anyways so the last episode left me -very- confused but also curious, at the end you see the White Walker of whom we encountered in Season 3 delivering craster's baby to what appears to be a large fort surrounded by a mountain ( I could be wrong though )
Spoiler: show

However I did not recognize this at all, does anyone know what it was all about and who that white walker in the end actually is? Did the last episode leave anyone as confused as me? If he is in fact a noteable character rather than a generic White Walker

Jon: First lesson, stick’em with the pointy end.
Arya: I know which end to use.
Anon90

Re: Ending Season 4 Episode 4 ( Spoilers )

PostPosted by Dreakonic » Mon Apr 28, 2014 16:58

The show is taking the series in a different direction than in the books and thus the White Walkers are probably different from the White Walkers from the book and will therefore also have a different background. That's just my guess.
Dreakonic

PostPosted by Anon90 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 17:00

I suppose you are right, however it does not change the fact it left me confused, I do hope we get some answers in the next episode or something. Haha.
Anon90

PostPosted by Anon90 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 17:18

a bit of a double post here, but it's possible this may be
Night's King
as their synopsis confirmed it

Here is the first synopsis but they changed it quickly
Anon90

PostPosted by xoatl » Mon Apr 28, 2014 20:56

I swear I've seen that guy before.

xoatl

PostPosted by EDAP » Mon Apr 28, 2014 22:27

Really, I thought I'd seen him elsewhere as well;

(I didn't realise how big this pic was, nor how staring the eyes were...)
Here is a link to my personal list of FAQs. Please check there to see if it answers you question. The specific details aren't up to date, and I probably won't update it for a while, but the general ideas are unchanged.
EDAP

PostPosted by Municipal Engines » Tue Apr 29, 2014 02:24

A lot of people are freaking out since the TV show revealed something that hasn't been revealed in the books yet, lol.

I've always not particularly liked how the show portrayed the Others as emaciated ice zombie-vampires. Weren't they supposed to be like the Unseelie and have this dangerous otherworldly beauty to them?
Municipal Engines

PostPosted by VxXxV » Tue Apr 29, 2014 03:40

Asia is 1 week after US premiere..., damn HBO.
Will check this thread next week lol.

Looks like Martin want to give extra stuff to TV show
VxXxV

PostPosted by EDAP » Tue Apr 29, 2014 07:11

Municipal Engines wrote:I've always not particularly liked how the show portrayed the Others as emaciated ice zombie-vampires. Weren't they supposed to be like the Unseelie and have this dangerous otherworldly beauty to them?

We don't really know, is the answer I think. The shows depiction is likely in part influenced by them slightly conflating the Others and White Walkers, I would think. Failing that we only really have the account of the Night's Queen calling them beautiful - so that could easily have been a one off / magic.
Here is a link to my personal list of FAQs. Please check there to see if it answers you question. The specific details aren't up to date, and I probably won't update it for a while, but the general ideas are unchanged.
EDAP

PostPosted by Toccs » Tue Apr 29, 2014 07:49

From GRRM himself.

The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous.

For those who don't know what the Sidhe (pronounced "shee") are, they are the faerie folk of celtic mythology. Do not picture fairies in the modern sense as tiny people with wings, instead these are the faerie folk that Tolkien based his Elves on.

Looking further into the Sidhe and their behaviour in mythology including things like Sidhe hills/mounds, the Wild Hunt and Changelings as well as other related celtic mythology such as Bran the Blessed, the Morrigan, Tam Lin and Cu Chulain, sheds a lot of light on where GRRM is likely heading with this part of his story.
Smart and dumb are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Stark is born the gods flip a coin . . . and it always seems to land on dumb.
Toccs

PostPosted by Chrisjm89 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:09

EDAP wrote:
Municipal Engines wrote:I've always not particularly liked how the show portrayed the Others as emaciated ice zombie-vampires. Weren't they supposed to be like the Unseelie and have this dangerous otherworldly beauty to them?

We don't really know, is the answer I think. The shows depiction is likely in part influenced by them slightly conflating the Others and White Walkers, I would think. Failing that we only really have the account of the Night's Queen calling them beautiful - so that could easily have been a one off / magic.

Ice Glamour on an Nights Queen perhaps? To make herself look beautiful to a human.
Chrisjm89
Mod Team

PostPosted by Provideniya » Tue Apr 29, 2014 15:25

That little bit was very intriguing as in a way, it made so much sense..
It's hard to explain, but that/those thing(s) striked me as somewhat related to a certain character in Storm/Dance.

Anyone else had the same feeling?

Maybe this is something that we can expect to learn more about when the Winds is done - I sure hope so.
Provideniya

PostPosted by OrisJ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 16:35

Municipal Engines wrote:A lot of people are freaking out since the TV show revealed something that hasn't been revealed in the books yet, lol.

Revealed as in the synopsis that was removed, or the fact that they were
turning Crasterbabies into Others?
Because the second point was already revealed/heavily implied in the books:
Gilly was crying. “Me and the babe. Please. I’ll be your wife, like I was Craster’s. Please, ser crow. He’s a boy, just like Nella said he’d be. If you don’t take him, they will.
“They?” said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed, “They. They. They.”
The boy’s brothers,” said the old woman on the left. “Craster’s sons. The white cold’s rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don’t lie. They’ll be here soon, the sons.”
OrisJ

PostPosted by Fashbinder » Tue Apr 29, 2014 19:29

I think the darth maul guy is into eugenics, white skin blue eyes! Clearly the end boss in AGOT is a racial supremacist.
Fashbinder
Mod Team

PostPosted by Syn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 20:04

Municipal Engines wrote:A lot of people are freaking out since the TV show revealed something that hasn't been revealed in the books yet, lol.

I've always not particularly liked how the show portrayed the Others as emaciated ice zombie-vampires. Weren't they supposed to be like the Unseelie and have this dangerous otherworldly beauty to them?

We all knew about Craster's sons and all that, it just wasn't confirmed or anything. Now that we've seen it actually happen, it's been confirmed. However, my jaw dropped when I saw an ominous figure emerge from a line of 13 Others to change the baby. I figured it was the Night's King due to the crowned horns on his head, and leadership position. But still, I never thought I'd be seeing a character that I figured I'd only ever read about on the wiki. So awesome. :twisted: This was a massive reveal for all fans.

But yea, in the books they are supposed to look like intimidating fae creatures, not ice zombies. Makes sense, since I don't think the Night's King would have wanted to stick his man parts inside a freezing, half-decayed ice-zombie lady. Being seduced by a fae girl makes more sense.
Syn

PostPosted by Toccs » Wed Apr 30, 2014 02:55

Syn wrote:We all knew about Craster's sons and all that, it just wasn't confirmed or anything.

It was confirmed, (explicitly so) in the books. Only the most stubborn of people refused to accept it. :D
Smart and dumb are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Stark is born the gods flip a coin . . . and it always seems to land on dumb.
Toccs

PostPosted by VxXxV » Sun May 04, 2014 18:00

Finally i can catch up to this discussion.

Cool graphics when White Walker touch the baby, wonder if this is how they gather new White Walker...

So anyone willing to spoiler me episode 5 special secret?.
VxXxV

PostPosted by EDAP » Sun May 04, 2014 18:44

VxXxV wrote:Finally i can catch up to this discussion.

Cool graphics when White Walker touch the baby, wonder if this is how they gather new White Walker...

So anyone willing to spoiler me episode 5 special secret?.

Episode 5 not till later tonight for Americans. Tomorrow for me.
EDAP

Return to Story and Lore