Brandon stark (season 4 ep5 spoilers)

The place to talk about the books and the TV show. Beware of spoilers!

Re: Brandon stark (season 4 ep5 spoilers)

PostPosted by MBjarno » Sun May 11, 2014 08:20

No I agree, many watch with Stark eyes on most situations. If you consider what they do, they aren't really those overly honorable guys, but as I said, and also what is the whole point of the books, it's more of a grey area than black and white when saying they are dishonorable. Like look at Arya, she's a little mass-murdering psychopath, but most sees her as great and just a disturbed child, though she murders because she wants to. Now lets look at the Hound, he has the worst rep in the books, but what do we ever really see him do that he wasn't supposed to. He kill Mycah, but he was ordered to do that by Prince Joffrey. Its all about how you look at the situation. Brandon was reckless and a fool for doing what he did, to me, but saying he was cruel is probably just Lysa in this case. That's my two cents on whether Brandon is cruel. He might be, but considering who our source is, it's as likely that we would learn Samwell Tarly was a killer and a cruel man.
MBjarno

PostPosted by Snake » Mon May 12, 2014 01:18

Saying Ned is dishonorable for altering the will is a pretty huge reach. He changed the wording because Robert was speaking without the knowledge that joffrey was not his legitimate heir and if Robert had known about everything he would not have said it anyway. It does not change the intentions of Robert so its not like he is dishonorable changing what he wanted. Also brandon going to KLs threatening kill the man he thinks kidnapped his sister isnt really dishonorable either. Robb marrying some chick he deflowered instead of some chick his mom promised him to isnt really THAT dishonorable.
Snake

PostPosted by Ernest » Mon May 12, 2014 23:32

I'm not so sure I agree about the Robb stuff. I thought Robb's rational was pretty weak. The Westerlings are relative nobodies - so no fear of violent reprisals, he didn't coerce or trick Jeyne into anything, and provided she wasn't pregnant it wouldn't be that much harder to marry off a young, attractive, highborn girl despite her lack of virginity. So Robb wasn't really saving her from anything particularly awful. I just thought it was about him having his cake and eating it too because he's the king.

As for Ned, what Robert would have likely wanted was to at best exile Cersei, Jaime and their children and at worst murder them. And given the humiliation for him he probably would have opted for the latter, which I'm sure Ned knew. Ned manipulated Robert's last words to achieve the most bloodless result.

The Starks as a whole just seem like a bunch of people who want to do the honorable thing but unlike most they have the influence and power to retroactively call their decisions honorable. A Stark might have gotten away stabbing their king in the back.
Ernest

PostPosted by Mujahideen » Thu May 15, 2014 21:09

Ernest wrote:I'm not so sure I agree about the Robb stuff. I thought Robb's rational was pretty weak. The Westerlings are relative nobodies - so no fear of violent reprisals, he didn't coerce or trick Jeyne into anything, and provided she wasn't pregnant it wouldn't be that much harder to marry off a young, attractive, highborn girl despite her lack of virginity. So Robb wasn't really saving her from anything particularly awful. I just thought it was about him having his cake and eating it too because he's the king.

As for Ned, what Robert would have likely wanted was to at best exile Cersei, Jaime and their children and at worst murder them. And given the humiliation for him he probably would have opted for the latter, which I'm sure Ned knew. Ned manipulated Robert's last words to achieve the most bloodless result.

The Starks as a whole just seem like a bunch of people who want to do the honorable thing but unlike most they have the influence and power to retroactively call their decisions honorable. A Stark might have gotten away stabbing their king in the back.

Hmm, quite an interesting thought
Mujahideen

Previous

Return to Story and Lore