Rules concerning using other modders work

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

Re: Rules concerning using other modders work

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 22:05

LightningFarm wrote:I'm wondering what to do if the modder have not been updating for over a year, or even been online on any of the sites? What should someone do then, if they want to update one of their mods?

As said above:
blackninja9939 wrote:
pbr7994 wrote:
knuckey wrote:I'd try and get in contact first via PM first, if you get no response then I'd say it would be fine to update it yourself.

How long should we wait for then to respond before paying the submod anyway?

A few months I would say, think paradox does half a year as their general rule.
Graduate Content Designer on Project Caligula

My amazingly empty Twitter account: @blackninja9939

Posts edited in this colour were done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by Kilian » Thu Jul 20, 2017 02:29

Hi all. So a few questions. I'm going to hide the questions in spoilers to avoid cluttering.

If, let's say, i'm planning on releasing an overhaul-like submod for CK2 AGOT, all writen by myself but uses the same ideas like other mods.
Spoiler: show
I know this is kind of d***ish to do but my goal for an overhaul is that an overhaul adds a lot of new stuff and edits existing stuff. Some of the things in this overhaul will already exist but I will write everything myself and try and make it as different as possible. Would this be allowed on this forum?

For example; adding more buildings for cities and castles. Almost everything is new except for me adding a brothel etc same as in Sinstar's or Flamequeen's mod. Do I need to ask their permission to do that if it uses somewhat the same mechanic or is it okay if it's this grandscale that out of 50 new buildings 5 already exist in other submods?

I'm planning on adding new traits but most of them are the same as for example Congenital Overhaul. In my release I decide to let the user choose between using my full version or the new ones that I made and refer them to Congenital Overhaul to download that mod and use them together. Even though my stuff is "original" I'm still using the same thing like being left-handed. Do I need to ask their permission to use their idea even if my code is original.

How do I let everyone know that I used CK2 AGOT for creating my CK2 AGOT overhaul. Do I just write thanks and refer to your forum in the credits/thanks to part of my mod?

EDIT: sorry if my english is a bit wonky, I wrote this at 3:30 am for me and english is not my maternal language
Kilian

PostPosted by blackninja9939 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 08:18

Kilian wrote:spoiler]I know this is kind of d***ish to do but my goal for an overhaul is that an overhaul adds a lot of new stuff and edits existing stuff. Some of the things in this overhaul will already exist but I will write everything myself and try and make it as different as possible. Would this be allowed on this forum?[/spoiler]

If you write it yourself that is allowed. As you said it might be seen as dickish if you just straight up copy the ideas of existing submods but you will not be breaking a rule unless you straight up copy their stuff.

Kilian wrote:
For example; adding more buildings for cities and castles. Almost everything is new except for me adding a brothel etc same as in Sinstar's or Flamequeen's mod. Do I need to ask their permission to do that if it uses somewhat the same mechanic or is it okay if it's this grandscale that out of 50 new buildings 5 already exist in other submods?

As long as you are not directly copying their content it is fine.

Kilian wrote:
I'm planning on adding new traits but most of them are the same as for example Congenital Overhaul. In my release I decide to let the user choose between using my full version or the new ones that I made and refer them to Congenital Overhaul to download that mod and use them together. Even though my stuff is "original" I'm still using the same thing like being left-handed. Do I need to ask their permission to use their idea even if my code is original.

Same as above

Kilian wrote:
How do I let everyone know that I used CK2 AGOT for creating my CK2 AGOT overhaul. Do I just write thanks and refer to your forum in the credits/thanks to part of my mod?

Well if it is a submod only for AGOT it is implied the stuff is going to be from AGOT but you can just write "Thanks to CK2 AGOT" in your credits if you want.

So as I have said in all the points, doing the same thing as someone else is fine as long as you are not straight up copying their work. You might look like a dick depending on how clearly you use the exact same mechanic but it will not be breaking any direct rules.
Graduate Content Designer on Project Caligula

My amazingly empty Twitter account: @blackninja9939

Posts edited in this colour were done by me for moderation.

My Sub-Mods:
Bloodlines
More Decisions
Colonise Valyiria and Challenge to Duel
More Bookmarks
blackninja9939

PostPosted by Kilian » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07

blackninja9939 wrote:
Kilian wrote:spoiler]I know this is kind of d***ish to do but my goal for an overhaul is that an overhaul adds a lot of new stuff and edits existing stuff. Some of the things in this overhaul will already exist but I will write everything myself and try and make it as different as possible. Would this be allowed on this forum?[/spoiler]

If you write it yourself that is allowed. As you said it might be seen as dickish if you just straight up copy the ideas of existing submods but you will not be breaking a rule unless you straight up copy their stuff.

Kilian wrote:

As long as you are not directly copying their content it is fine.

Kilian wrote:

Same as above

Kilian wrote:

Well if it is a submod only for AGOT it is implied the stuff is going to be from AGOT but you can just write "Thanks to CK2 AGOT" in your credits if you want.

So as I have said in all the points, doing the same thing as someone else is fine as long as you are not straight up copying their work. You might look like a dick depending on how clearly you use the exact same mechanic but it will not be breaking any direct rules.

Allright, Thank you for the quick response!!
Kilian

Previous

Return to Sub-Mods