Dragon Tamer Laws And Dragon Theft

Browse, publish and discuss user made sub-mods here

Re: Dragon Tamer Laws And Dragon Theft

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 18:49

New version adding French translation thanks to avatarblack.
SinStar87

PostPosted by wahoo » Tue Nov 08, 2016 13:03

Can I make a suggestion? I revoked four dragons from my vassals. In battle (dragon duel), my character rode lowest martial dragon and died (It seems random). So, Can you make release decision on revoked dragon? I really thanks for this awesome mod :D .
wahoo

PostPosted by Lime » Mon Nov 21, 2016 07:52

Haven't really had succes running this mod, not entirely sure what the issue was - in any case, that's not what my post is all about. Just clarifying why I'm not simply figuring it out for myself :)

In any case...
Does the Dragon Tamer Law itself define the mechanics regarding who can and cannot tame/hatch? Or does it have more of an in-game flavour to it?
Say, for instance, I've implemented the law that outlaws any non-royals from taming dragons. Does that mean that characters who aren't part of my dynasty are simply unable to tame dragons - or does it mean that I am justified to arrest anyone who does so, against the law?

I think the former is kinda broken and the latter much more interesting, both lore- and gameplay-wise.
Lime

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 08:05

From the context, I assume broken = op, cause if it's stopped working again I may snap.

The mechanics of the mod disables the hatch and tame decisions for anyone who isn't fit in the current law, tamer they have to be counts+ or have the dragon tamer minor title, blood they have to be the same dynasty.
SinStar87

PostPosted by Lime » Mon Nov 21, 2016 08:34

SinStar87 wrote:From the context, I assume broken = op, cause if it's stopped working again I may snap.

The mechanics of the mod disables the hatch and tame decisions for anyone who isn't fit in the current law, tamer they have to be counts+ or have the dragon tamer minor title, blood they have to be the same dynasty.

Yeah, that's what I meant :D
Not only does that seem imbalanced though, it's also weirdly unrealistic. I mean, it basically makes the law a law of nature. Where's the fun in a law that cannot be broken?

Example time, because that's how I roll: I'm playing Daemon Blackfyre. Now, instead of simply counting on the rest of the Realm realising what a Valyrian stud I am and how puny and impotent my half-brother the King is, I take the Dragon Egg-ambition.
Lo and behold, after years of research and plenty of gold spent, I obtain an egg! Soon, I shall conquer Westeros as Aegon I before me! But oh dear, I've got Sinstar's Dragon Tamer Laws installed so I can't even attempt to hatch the egg cause I'm not of the royal dynasty. Bummer.
See my point?

So my suggestion is, change the mod to something resembling the 'Order vassal to end war'-decision.
If a vassal/courtier who's not eligible by law is attempting to hatch/tame you may hear of this, giving you the chance to interfere. If they refuse your command, you will be able to imprison them/brand as traitor/etc.
Same options being available if you're only made aware of the hatching/taming attempt after the fact, of course.
Lime

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 09:42

You want to hatch a dragon, have the king try and imprison you for it, then you rebelling. You can just skip the attempt at imprisoning and rebel, should cancel out the crownlaws so you can hatch to your content.
SinStar87

PostPosted by Lime » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:03

The Daemon-example was purely hypothetical, meant to illustrate what I consider to be a flawed logic in this mod. Daemon should be able to hatch that egg, laws be damned. Then Daeron can try to confiscate the dragon if he dares.
The vital point is, that there is a choice. Daemon can choose to defy the law. Daeron can choose to ignore Daemon's trespassing or try to enforce the law.
IMO this is a lot more interesting than simply having a Decision available or unavailable, dependent on the law.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great mod. I'm simply trying to provide constructive criticism.
If you don't agree or simply don't wanna change the mod, fair game :)
Lime

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:09

Can't lie, your suggestion would require a major overhaul and my laziness rails against such things. But mainly the mod is meant to cut down on the amount of random courtiers getting dragons just because. Everything else is kind of tied on to that, Blood simply redefines the cut down.
SinStar87

PostPosted by Lime » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:18

I completely agree with the actual purpose of the mod. Nothing worse than having some random courtier nick Balerion after Aegon's death, before your new character has a chance to tame him.
Unfortunately, the rigidity of the mod simply breaks the suspense of disbelief.

In lieu of an actual overhaul of the main-mod I'd suggest a combination of your Dragon Tamer Law mod (changed according to my humble suggestions, of course) and the Valyrian Blood mod.
Decreasing the chance of succes for all but characters with strong Valyrian genetics (hidden mechanic) and limiting who has access to dragons through law (ingame/flavour mechanic) seems like a great solution.

Come to think of it, not only would these changes make the mod more realistic, it would also expand the game itself.
There's a dragon available, but you do not have the right to claim it. Do you defy the law on the chance of becoming a Dragonrider? What if you're the king and somebody defied the law and successfully claimed a dragon? Do you swallow your pride and ignore this slight? Or do you decide that you cannot afford to have a renegade dragonrider in your realm?
All interesting conflicts that could change a play-through radically.
Lime

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:12

your major problem seems to be blood, so add
modifier = {
factor = 0
has_holder = yes
}

to the ai_will_do section of dragon_tamer_2 in mod/common/laws/dragon_tamer_laws.txt

That should keep the ai from picking the blood law
SinStar87

PostPosted by tirion1987 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 18:37

Is this one up to date for the latest version?

EDIT: it seems to be, except I can't Grant Freedom to slaves anymore with it.
Last edited by tirion1987 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
tirion1987

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 19:15

Doesn't appear that anything major was done to the files involved, should work fine.
SinStar87

PostPosted by Crash » Sun Feb 12, 2017 15:56

Submod causes lots of inexplainable CTD's. Nothing on the error log. I used it together with other submods, but disabling this submod solved the CTD issue.
Crash

PostPosted by SinStar87 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 03:33

Most of the decisions are all filters so you are probably suffering an overload on your computer as it runs through characters
SinStar87

Previous

Return to Sub-Mods